Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Orphan Black: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99

The Rocketeer (Blu-ray)
$8.99
16 hrs ago
Drive (Blu-ray)
$27.99
5 hrs ago
The Hobbit: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$73.43
15 hrs ago
Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99
1 day ago
City Slickers II: The Legend of Curly's Gold (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
Dragonheart: 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

The Groove Tube (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 day ago
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 12-31-2020, 12:32 PM   #41
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...

Given that vinyl records and cassette tapes have returned to certain niches, I'm not surprised by the VHS comeback.

Personally, I'd never go back to it, but I understand the solidarity it can bring.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:52 PM   #42
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
Records have current day benefits of better audio along with benefits for DJs such as scratching.
Funny, I'm 35 years old and I feel like an old man when kids tell me how I grew up without a smartphone until now. Hell, when I was in college, flip phones were big thing. That's how old I am. But when I was a kid, people stopped buying records and threw out their entire LP collection to upgrade to the "superior CDs." Now, somehow we've gone backwards. People ditched CDs and are now buying records again.

Records will be something I never have and never will buy. It's not that I don't like them, but not only are they expensive, but those records are so big and they seem so delicate that I'd probably scratch or damage them fairly quickly. I like listening to mp3s/iTunes because they're so convenient and I don't have to worry about songs skipping due to scratches. I have no issue with the way digital music sounds.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:55 PM   #43
Special Member

Sep 2013
Boynton Beach, FL USA

Just a few months ago I finally hooked up an old JVC VCR I had that I never used. I put in a tape of old recordings (it was The O.C. haha, which led me to re-watching now), and couldn't believe how bad the quality was. Obviously the source but still. Right then I decided I'll never watch any of the VCR tapes I still have so I decided to donate it with some old movies I didn't care about. I still kept my Star Wars OOT & SE editions plus a few other ones for nostalgia reasons but no plan on watching them ever again.
Old 12-31-2020, 06:52 PM   #44
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007

Yeah some things need to stay dead and vcr tapes and pre hd televisions sets are two main ones imo!
Old 03-13-2021, 09:42 AM   #45
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

How exactly did the SP-LP-SLP/EP stuff on VCRs work, anyway?
Old 03-14-2021, 11:05 PM   #46
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2008
Savannah GA

Anyone who buys it is a sucker...
Old 03-15-2021, 02:29 AM   #47
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2013
Jacksonville, Florida

I've actually been wanting to get back into it just for horror movies If I can upload them to my computer and retain the VHS quality it would be excellent.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:36 AM   #48
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013
Right Behind You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface32 View Post
I had a really nice CRT HDTV, I liked it because I could play Duck Hunt on it. I think it was one of the last CRTs made. Damn thing had to stop working 2 years ago. Now no more Duck Hunt for me. The NES Light Gun required a CRT to work.
If you have a Wii/Wii U you can install the Homebrew channel and then use an NES emulator and a Wiimote with a gun adapter. Its not exactly the same of course but I've done Duck Hunt, Lethal Enforcers, and Yoshis Safari that way for old school games. Still works pretty well. The Wii also had some pretty good newer gun games.
Old 03-15-2021, 12:16 PM   #49
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013
Right Behind You

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
How exactly did the SP-LP-SLP/EP stuff on VCRs work, anyway?
It ran the tape slower so that less that tape was used. This sacrificed quality of course, so SLP stuff on a normal tape could be pretty bad.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:30 PM   #50

Mar 2021

It's a fun collector's item until people remember that they have to rewind the tapes. Seriously, it was so awful back in the day for me that I ended up spending my birthday money on one of those ridiculously fast rewinders. I can still faintly recall the burning smell it made after rewinding.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:32 PM   #51

Dec 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman Horton View Post
I think it's a bit too much to say that VHS is back. People are buy previously viewed titles that they can find. VHS will really be back if companies start producing new ones. I don't see that happening but I could be wrong. It wouldn't be something that I'd be interested in though.
This has already happened. Psycho Goreman has an official VHS edition.

But these things are typically limited collectors affairs and will never be mass market. Vinyl coming back makes more sense.

Edit: Though VHS I think works best for horror. Especially those rare indie horrors like Video Violence
Old 03-25-2021, 02:21 AM   #52
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Were rental tapes manufactured to a higher/more durable standard than commercial tapes produced for individual sale at the big stores? Rentals likely got watched hundreds, if not thousands, of times. I watched some tapes quite a bit growing up as well, especially Home Alone 1 and 2. Did the rental releases also use the same tapes that were sold to the general public via commercial sale or for at home home recording? I recall some pre-recorded releases being absolutely terrible quality, such as the Video Treasures release of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Last edited by meremortal; 03-25-2021 at 02:26 AM.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:16 AM   #53
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by meremortal View Post
Were rental tapes manufactured to a higher/more durable standard than commercial tapes produced for individual sale at the big stores? Rentals likely got watched hundreds, if not thousands, of times. I watched some tapes quite a bit growing up as well, especially Home Alone 1 and 2. Did the rental releases also use the same tapes that were sold to the general public via commercial sale or for at home home recording? I recall some pre-recorded releases being absolutely terrible quality, such as the Video Treasures release of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Great question.

Let's just put aside the bargain bin VHS labels (GoodTimes, Video Treasures, Interglobal, etc.) out of the discussion. Those were releases where they actually used less physical tape, recorded at EP/SLP speeds. There's a reason they almost always had a disclaimer at the start of the tape to adjust your tracking...

In terms of more apt comparisons, in terms of major studio (MCA, Warner Bros, Paramount, etc.) releases vs consumer grade blank tapes, I don't feel like there was anything from the studio releases that wasn't also available to the public through high-quality blanks.

Understand that when you went to the electronic section of your local store, there were many varying levels of blank tape offerings. You had the cheap tapes for everyday recordings, and you had the higher quality archival blank tapes for more permanent recordings. You got what you paid for. I remember some individual high grade tapes costing a ten-spot for one tape. TDK, Scotch, and Memorex had premium tapes in their catalog, as just a few examples.

If you go back through old Video Review magazines and other tech pubs, where they break down and grade the quality of consumer tapes, I didn't get the sense that the commercial pre-recorded tapes from the big studios were any better than the highest grade blank tapes found at your local store. It's just that the mastering process with said releases was more optimal under a factory setting.

That's my hunch, at least.

I would be curious to know if any of the tape manufacturers had deals with certain studios to be their tape supplier. And, if so, was there a reason that their logos weren't on the pre-recorded commercial tapes*? Maybe people would see a manufacturer's logo on a studio release and feel as though it's not as special, as the shell looks just like the lowly blanks they use to record with at home?

* Not an absolute, mind you. I vaguely recall some home video company using TDK tapes on their releases. I could be mistaken.

At any rate, for the most part, the major studio titles arrived on cassette shells that gave no indication of their manufacturer.
Thanks given by:
meremortal (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 06:56 AM   #54
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Great insights above. Thanks! I'd forgotten there were such variable grades in quality for blanks. Growing up I remember another family had a pretty large collection at the time of probably over a hundred tapes filled with 3 movies on each tape in EP. Never crossed my mind as a kid that the quality would be worse but now it obviously makes sense.

It'd been years since I'd watched vhs and did so a year or two ago since I'd found a VCR at a thrift store. And the pq actually was presentable enough - soft but looked nowhere near as bad as in online screenshots. Animation was actually pretty decent pq, even. I actually kind of want to start an open matte collection, though tapes take up a lot of space and I really don't need to start another collection. However, I wouldn't mind having them archived on disc and I'd welcome the boutiques adding a vhs rip as a novelty extra for cult movies.

There's definitely a nostalgia for vhs probably because of the video store experience more than anything. The diy nature with blanks was also fun at the time. And it's cool if new generations enjoy them to some degree as well.

Last edited by meremortal; 03-25-2021 at 07:10 AM.
Thanks given by:
BeastCreatureTrapper (03-26-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 11:15 AM   #55
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

I actually collect VHS tapes. Mostly the very old ones, released by labels such as Magnetic Video and MEDA. I have VHS tapes that were released in 1977. They are very heavy tapes and still play perfectly! I also have a VHS-BluRay player combo with HDMI output and VHS-upscaling! There are many VHS titles that never made it to DVD or Blu-Ray, which is another reason to collect VHS, in addition to nostalgic value and amazing artwork. Sure, blu-ray and 4K quality is much better and will always have preference for viewing, but picture quality is not the only thing that makes something collectible. If anything, most blu-ray's, including boutique releases like Criterion, have less collecting value compared to very scarce late 1970s VHS tapes because the former are mass-produced and relatively cheap. VHS tapes cost $100 in 1978, which is probably between $250-$350 in today's dollars, while you can get a Criterion blu-ray for $15-$20 during sales.

Last edited by blurayisnice; 03-25-2021 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:34 AM   #56
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by meremortal View Post
Great insights above. Thanks! I'd forgotten there were such variable grades in quality for blanks. Growing up I remember another family had a pretty large collection at the time of probably over a hundred tapes filled with 3 movies on each tape in EP. Never crossed my mind as a kid that the quality would be worse but now it obviously makes sense.

It'd been years since I'd watched vhs and did so a year or two ago since I'd found a VCR at a thrift store. And the pq actually was presentable enough - soft but looked nowhere near as bad as in online screenshots. Animation was actually pretty decent pq, even. I actually kind of want to start an open matte collection, though tapes take up a lot of space and I really don't need to start another collection. However, I wouldn't mind having them archived on disc and I'd welcome the boutiques adding a vhs rip as a novelty extra for cult movies.

There's definitely a nostalgia for vhs probably because of the video store experience more than anything. The diy nature with blanks was also fun at the time. And it's cool if new generations enjoy them to some degree as well.
That would be fantastic! I wonder if there would be an issue with the VHS-rip being from another rights holder. Say, if Well Go USA wanted to include a VHS-rip of Phantasm with their blu-ray release, but that VHS source would be a whole other property entirely (either through Embassy or Magnetic, or their current incarnations), which would result in paying a rights fee or being denied altogether. Don't know.

There is a whole community online of VHS-archivists who rip tapes expressly for the open matte aspect, as they do provide a different viewing experience in many cases.

Back to the different grades of tape, along with the degrade of quality from choosing EP/SLP recording. Don't forget to add to that duping your friend's SLP tape to get your own copy...and so on and so forth. You would have these tapes with 3-4 movies on them, and in horrible quality because they were 2nd, 3rd (or even worse) generation level dupes.

But, we were so happy cause it was all we had. Just the freedom of a movie on demand was amazing back then.

On the other end of the spectrum, high-grade VHS, S-VHS, and D-VHS can still be very presentable under the right conditions.

Thanks given by:
blurayisnice (03-26-2021), meremortal (03-26-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 03:06 PM   #57

Mar 2019
New England

I understand the appeal of vinyl records. They (can) sound objectively better if you have the right setup (and the hardcore fans of vinyl always do). Yes, they're delicate, but it's not hard to handle them carefully. And of course they aren't portable, which nowadays is pretty vital for most people. But if the circumstances are right, there can be a benefit to them.

VHS is just an objectively worse format in almost every way. Worse video, worse sound, degrades faster no matter how careful you are, takes up more space, and of course having to rewind. There's just not a single benefit to VHS. I will admit the video in the previous post looked surprisingly good, but it's still pretty much DVD quality at best.

This "comeback" is being supported by two people:
1. People who went all in on VHS and still have their collections and for whatever reason don't want to move on. Nostalgia is a huge factor here.
2. Millennials who never experienced VHS and are in love with the retro novelty of the whole thing.

(I'll add I'm not judging either of the groups above. Nostalgia can be an unstoppable force sometimes, and I indulge it myself from time to time, and of course everyone has at some point become fascinated by some technology that existed before their time.)
Old 03-31-2021, 05:30 PM   #58
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

I have 40+ year old tapes which still play perfectly fine. Also, "picture quality" isn't the only thing that makes something collectible. VHS can be collectible for many other reasons, like for historic reasons. Personally, I only collect 1977-1981 first-ever home video/VHS releases of movies, which are generally extremely rare. Artwork is another reason. But these are niches. I would never collect mass-produced tapes. But this is probably also true for people who collect vinyl. Rarity is one of the most (if not the most) important factor that makes something collectible. But as for VHS making a comeback, I don't believe that.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:38 AM   #59

Aug 2016

I've been grabbing some VHS for the FULLSCREEN (open matte is bringing any variantion of 1.85+ down to any variation towards 1.78) aspect ratio where not readily available on DVD. I grabbed a panasonic VHS/blu-ray combo with up-res and 1080p output and the captures pretty much vary more by source than age of the VHS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastCreatureTrapper View Post
I wonder if there would be an issue with the VHS-rip being from another rights holder. Say, if Well Go USA wanted to include a VHS-rip of Phantasm with their blu-ray release
is there a reason you want it to be a VHS rip? assuming you just want the 4:3, if they're doing their own scans they could add the movie in as many different aspect ratios as they wanted with their own source if they were so inclined. granted they might be lazy like whoever released tammy and the t-rex using an old scan rather than a new one.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:47 AM   #60
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminaltrip421 View Post
is there a reason you want it to be a VHS rip? assuming you just want the 4:3, if they're doing their own scans they could add the movie in as many different aspect ratios as they wanted with their own source if they were so inclined. granted they might be lazy like whoever released tammy and the t-rex using an old scan rather than a new one.
Oh, no, I was more referring to a VHS-rip for the nostalgic quality of the literal lack of quality in the a/v presentation.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat