Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Orphan Black: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Drive (Blu-ray)
$27.99
1 hr ago
The Rocketeer (Blu-ray)
$8.99
12 hrs ago
The Hobbit: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$73.43
11 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99
1 day ago
Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

City Slickers II: The Legend of Curly's Gold (Blu-ray)
$19.99
12 hrs ago
The Hand (Blu-ray)
$24.99
12 hrs ago
The Groove Tube (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 day ago
Dragonheart: 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Umbrella Academy: Season One (Blu-ray)
$34.99
12 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 10-13-2020, 08:42 PM   #81
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

I just grabbed a new VR headset and HOTAS controller (Oculus Rift S and Logitech G X52). I thought I would need a CPU and possibly a GPU upgrade, but so far things have been running almost flawless in Star Wars Squadrons. So now I can wait for the RTX 3000 series to release and the price of the upper end 3000 series Ryzen CPUs to drop a bit before I upgrade, but at least with the Ryzen it's running the same socket so it'll just be a drop-in upgrade (including upgraded RAM).

And like always, it's a Star Wars game (or a game in general) that I can blame the upgrades on.

This is TRUTH:

Quote:
Originally Posted by holygeek_04 View Post
I build not buy. Gaming will keep the desktops alive
Old 10-25-2020, 02:19 PM   #82
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema84 View Post
Since desktops are dying out, shouldn't they be at bargain prices? I'm talking about less than $200 fully loaded.
Desktops are not dying out. PC gaming is still massive.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:22 PM   #83
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
If any device is dying out imo, it is the laptop. Desktops will always have a place because of it's ability to adapt to changing hardware requirements.

There is nothing you cant do with a 250 dollar iPad that you would have to spend 400-1,000 on a laptop for. Not to mention easier to handle and use, portable users have mainly all switched to touch based tablets now in the business world, laptops are dinosaurs right now imo.
Laptops are obviously not dying out either. Especially now that millions will be working from home even in the near future. Desktops AND laptops are very safe.

Heck, people are having to wait weeks or months to get hold of one, such is the demand this year. Yes, it’s a freak year but people working at home won’t be going away any time in the next few years.

Last edited by Steedeel; 10-25-2020 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:26 PM   #84
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post
I just grabbed a new VR headset and HOTAS controller (Oculus Rift S and Logitech G X52). I thought I would need a CPU and possibly a GPU upgrade, but so far things have been running almost flawless in Star Wars Squadrons. So now I can wait for the RTX 3000 series to release and the price of the upper end 3000 series Ryzen CPUs to drop a bit before I upgrade, but at least with the Ryzen it's running the same socket so it'll just be a drop-in upgrade (including upgraded RAM).

And like always, it's a Star Wars game (or a game in general) that I can blame the upgrades on.

This is TRUTH:
While I agree that PC gaming is huge, I wonder how cloud gaming would affect the gaming rig community. If you can game on a 14 inch Chromebook/laptop or
battered 7-9 year old PC, why spend all the money on upgrades? I know it’s a few years off before we get smooth full HD for all game formats(including PC VR) yet alone 4K, but will be interesting.

Last edited by Steedeel; 10-25-2020 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-25-2020, 02:36 PM   #85
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008

Coming to this thread from my iMac.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:06 PM   #86
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2008
The Swan Station aDdIcTeD 2 LOST PSN:U5MC51473
Send a message via AIM to sfmarine Send a message via MSN to sfmarine Send a message via Skype™ to sfmarine

I've always liked desktops but I do a lot of my computing on a laptop for the most part. I also use my iPad daily. Been meaning to get an iMac at some point because I do miss having that traditional setup with a mouse and keyboard. Apple is super overdue when it comes to updating their iMac.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:09 PM   #87
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
While I agree that PC gaming is huge, I wonder how cloud gaming would affect the gaming rig community. If you can game on a 14 inch Chromebook/laptop or
battered 7-9 year old PC, why spend all the money on upgrades? I know itís a few years off before we get smooth full HD for all game formats(including PC VR) yet alone 4K, but will be interesting.
first of all computers are not just about gaming. But if we limit it to that discussion the answer is different tastes for different people/times. One could just as easily say "If you can game on a console why spend all the money on upgrades?"

there was a time in my life when I liked the fun of upgrading computer parts and gaming on a PC, today I prefer the simplicity of a console where it is pre-order new generation, play and don't worry about the electronics. But there are still a lot of people that prefer PCs.
Thanks given by:
Cinema84 (10-25-2020)
Old 02-19-2021, 04:51 AM   #88
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

I'm actually surprised that desktop choices are rather slim pickens right now, especially since many of us having been working from home for quite a while now. I'm looking into upgrading my desktop computer to a SSD one for faster performance, but there are not many choices. And I'm surprised computer prices are the exact same price as they were when I bought my last one seven years ago. I remember as a kid how computers used to cost $5,000 when I was a kid and then kept decreasing and decreasing with time. Now, computer prices have plateaued at around $600-700 for a decent one and the performance upgrade is minimal compared to the way it used to.

Seems like laptops are the ones that are hot on the market right now. Laptops are great and all, but working from home 10-12 hours per day on a laptop ain't gonna cut it for me. Especially since I use multiple programs for my work and require two monitors.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:55 AM   #89
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
I'm actually surprised that desktop choices are rather slim pickens right now, especially since many of us having been working from home for quite a while now.
You answered your question in your question!
Old 02-19-2021, 02:15 PM   #90
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkavision View Post
The semiconductor shortage is why things are messed up right now, along with the pandemic and worst unemployed a-holes sitting on their butts collecting my tax dollars, and even worse then using my tax dollars to buy stuff up and resell it on ebay for a 100+% profit!
Old 02-19-2021, 03:27 PM   #91
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2016

Quote:
The semiconductor shortage is why things are messed up right now, along with the pandemic and worst unemployed a-holes sitting on their butts collecting my tax dollars, and even worse then using my tax dollars to buy stuff up and resell it on ebay for a 100+% profit!
There's nobody selling computers or computer parts at 100%+ profit on ebay. Unless it was a super high end graphics card or system that could double as a crypto miner, and even then the window for selling those at a profit is small.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:51 PM   #92
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctujackbauer View Post
There's nobody selling computers or computer parts at 100%+ profit on ebay. Unless it was a super high end graphics card or system that could double as a crypto miner, and even then the window for selling those at a profit is small.
Lol super high end cards, ALL cards down to the 1650 ti lines are sold out at major retailer, the upper end 2 and 3 series cards are all at a 50-100% cost increase on ebay.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:42 PM   #93
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkavision View Post
Actually most people are using their laptops to work from home. A lot of my colleagues are currently complaining that they are getting headaches from using their laptop all day for working. Most people just don't own desktops anymore.

Back in the non-pandemic days when we used our office computers for work and our home PCs for pleasure, then owning a laptop seemed like the smart idea. But now that we use our home PCs for working as well, it's now the smarter choice to own a desktop.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:13 AM   #94
Power Member

Oct 2008

I just upgraded my i7-3770K to a Ryzen 7 3700X. Running that with an older 1070 Ti and I am getting smooth frame rates at 1080p.

If graphics cards normalize again, I will definitely Consider upgrading. I want to play all of my games on Ultra!
Old 02-20-2021, 06:00 AM   #95
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Temecula, CA

Quote:
Lol super high end cards, ALL cards down to the 1650 ti lines are sold out at major retailer, the upper end 2 and 3 series cards are all at a 50-100% cost increase on ebay.
Yep, I still haven't been able to find an RTX 30 series gpu anywhere. Also, my good ol GTX 1070 died about a month ago. I popped in an old GTX 560Ti from 2010 until I could find something, and I ended up grabbing the first RTX GPU that became available, which was a 2060 Super to get me by. Got it new at "regular" price from B&H, and it's a pretty decent card. Been running it for nearly a month now, but I still check daily in case a 3080 pops up. Everything is out of stock. Even the lowest of entry level gaming GPUs don't last. I was in Microcenter and they had about 20 GTX 1050 GPUs in stock. By the time I left an hour or so later they were gone.

As for this work from home thing, I've been telecommuting since 2005, so none of this remote work stuff is new to me. Except instead of empty streets I see all my neighbor's cars parked at home now. But I also use a laptop for work (company issued), although connected to a super-ultrawide (my gaming monitor) and a 2nd 27" monitor. No way I could work on a single-display, especially one as small as laptop screen.

Last edited by red_5ive; 02-20-2021 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:59 AM   #96
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2016

Quote:
Gadzooks. I be wrong. I hadn't checked out ebay on the 2 and 3 series cards.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:22 PM   #97
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post
Yep, I still haven't been able to find an RTX 30 series gpu anywhere. Also, my good ol GTX 1070 died about a month ago. I popped in an old GTX 560Ti from 2010 until I could find something, and I ended up grabbing the first RTX GPU that became available, which was a 2060 Super to get me by. Got it new at "regular" price from B&H, and it's a pretty decent card. Been running it for nearly a month now, but I still check daily in case a 3080 pops up. Everything is out of stock. Even the lowest of entry level gaming GPUs don't last. I was in Microcenter and they had about 20 GTX 1050 GPUs in stock. By the time I left an hour or so later they were gone.

As for this work from home thing, I've been telecommuting since 2005, so none of this remote work stuff is new to me. Except instead of empty streets I see all my neighbor's cars parked at home now. But I also use a laptop for work (company issued), although connected to a super-ultrawide (my gaming monitor) and a 2nd 27" monitor. No way I could work on a single-display, especially one as small as laptop screen.
I don't understand how restock of now 8+ year old gpu's are common place while newer gen cards seem to be made on freaking Pluto or something! Oh it's the pandemic but I guess it never hit the factory's that make 1050 cards, i also find it hard to believe this is just old stock. Best buy, hell all stores are constantly selling out of these crap cards and restocking them.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:02 PM   #98

Jan 2021

Yes, I do. But Itís mostly for gaming.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:43 AM   #99
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Funny how desktops and laptops are practically the same in price now. In fact, I see many great deals on laptops right now that make them cheaper than their desktop counterpart. That just seems weird because wouldn't that just drive desktop sales down?

Obviously, buying a laptop for both home use and portability purposes would be a no-brainer, but now that I'm working from home, I just can't use a laptop. My work requires me to open up several programs and spreadsheets, so I need to work on a desktop with two monitors. Plus, I like the fact that desktops have more USB ports. And I do feel that desktops run a bit faster, even tho its laptop counterpart may have the same specs. Not sure why, but my last desktop literally has the same specs as my parents' laptop (same exact processor and RAM), yet my desktop ran much faster.

But I have the best of both worlds as I have both a laptop and a desktop. I use the desktop most of the time because I only use the computer when I'm at home. My laptop is for when I'm traveling or for emergency use in the event my desktop craps out.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat