Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
23 hrs ago
Dead & Buried 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99
1 day ago
Baise-moi (Blu-ray)
$19.99
23 hrs ago
Saving Silverman (Blu-ray)
$13.29
21 hrs ago
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
1 day ago
The Father (Blu-ray)
$21.99
18 hrs ago
Smile (Blu-ray)
$23.49
1 day ago
Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99
15 min ago
Wildcats (Blu-ray)
$19.99
13 hrs ago
Eyes of a Stranger (Blu-ray)
$24.99
18 hrs ago
Nobody 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99

I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 02-19-2019, 05:44 PM   #21
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaice View Post
What an interesting thread. From my perspective, I don't mind work at all as I find that it keeps me active. Keep in mind that I have been active duty Navy for the last 21 years so my idea of work will vary wildly from others. I turn 40 in March & I will be retiring from the Navy next Spring after 22 years of service. Between my pension & disabilty, I don't HAVE to work again but I WANT to work to keep me moving & to give me spending money for the various stuff I want to do like travel & stuff.
i don't know if i've ever said this, Omega....but THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!
Thanks given by:
Blu-Benny (02-20-2019), Omegaice (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 05:51 PM   #22
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinCohle View Post
Not everyone would qualify for one of those programs. You don't just walk in like 'hey I don't want to work anymore, start giving me free money please'.

If the way the world worked was you either had two options, to work and make $100,000 a year, or to have someone just hand you $100,000 a year, EVERYONE would choose to just be handed the money.
EVEVRYONE includes me and I'm telling you that I would NOT let somebody else pay my way through life. The End. You are WRONG.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:55 PM   #23
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2008
Coronado, Ca.
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk33tr View Post
i don't know if i've ever said this, Omega....but THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!
Naw man, just doing my job & serving this Country! But thanks for the kind words.
Thanks given by:
Blu Lemmy (06-05-2019), THE_FORCE (06-05-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman Horton View Post
EVEVRYONE includes me and I'm telling you that I would NOT let somebody else pay my way through life. The End. You are WRONG.
You are HEATED.

Also an idiot if you wouldn't take a free $100,000 lol.
Thanks given by:
Monterey Jack (02-19-2019), thecooldud (02-21-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 06:59 PM   #25
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Uncle Bob's House of Pancakes

Wait. Someone is going to hand me $100K every year? Dayum! That's almost as good as living the Rage lifestyle.
Thanks given by:
Batman1980 (02-19-2019), RustinCohle (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 07:10 PM   #26
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
You are HEATED.

Also an idiot if you wouldn't take a free $100,000 lol.
Not heated at all. Just correcting you. If you think that I'm an idiot then it says an awful lot about your character and who you are...and I feel sorry for you.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:25 PM   #27
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2016

Quote:
Not heated at all. Just correcting you. If you think that I'm an idiot then it says an awful lot about your character and who you are...and I feel sorry for you.
I think anyone who would decline a free $100,000 is an idiot, not just you.

Anyone can say anything about some hypothetical scenario that will never happen, but if the situation did occur, even you would take the $100,000. You can't convince me otherwise. I don't believe that anyone (in their right mind) would say no to a free $100,000 and claim 'I'd rather work the next year for it instead of taking the year off and still getting the money'.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:12 PM   #28
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada

Here are my final words on this subject. We all need money to live. We have bills to pay and we need to pay them. There's really only two options. Earn the money to pay them ourselves or let somebody else pay them for us. If the second option is the one most attractive to you then you can stop reading now.

If you want to earn the money yourself do what I did. I found something that I loved to do and I found a way to get paid to do it. I've been doing it for 30 years and I still enjoy it. There's good days and bad days. There's days that I'd love to stay at home instead. That's the way it is with everything in life...not just work. If you're doing something that you enjoy it really doesn't seem like work.

If you wake up every morning dreading work, it's time to move on. Find something you love to do and figure out how to get paid to do it.
Thanks given by:
Freeza (02-20-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 08:28 PM   #29
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

I work in accounting. It's certainly not a passion of mine, but the things I'm passionate about aren't exactly well-suited for monetary gain anyway. I'm happy with my job in terms of I like the people I work with, I like the company I work for, I like my benefits, I like my hours, etc. I'm not disgruntled by any means. Accounting is not who I am it's just what I do. I just view working as a means to get what I want in life, but it's certainly not what defines me.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:03 AM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Commonwealth of Virgin

I enjoy my work when I started in August and then later they kept putting me cafe and keeping me there and there were all the closings shifts and other shit that I haven't wanted to go back to that ever again for a least 2 weeks. I hope I can find something as long as it is not retail and because retail sucks and I admire and appreciate the vetrens and the long career standing ones so much though and talking to my bosses its not a good fit for me in any way so I hope to get something soon but I can't stand it anymore there.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:38 AM   #31
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
I think anyone who would decline a free $100,000 is an idiot, not just you.

Anyone can say anything about some hypothetical scenario that will never happen, but if the situation did occur, even you would take the $100,000. You can't convince me otherwise. I don't believe that anyone (in their right mind) would say no to a free $100,000 and claim 'I'd rather work the next year for it instead of taking the year off and still getting the money'.
I had to respond just to let you know that you aren't making any sense. You're talking about two different situations now. In one, you're talking about having somebody pay your bills for your entire lifetime while you sit at home. Now, you're talking about a one time gift of $100,000. These are two completely different things. Also, this hypothetical scenario that would never happen...it happens all the time. It's called life insurance. It's also called an inheritance.

True story to prove, again, that you are wrong. A friend received a totally unexpected inheritance. Became a millionaire overnight. Bought a brand new Dodge Challenger and had it customized. Painted it Plum Crazy and put scissor doors on it. Bought the electric guitar of his dreams. He thought of quitting his job...but he didn't.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:37 PM   #32
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
I work in accounting. It's certainly not a passion of mine, but the things I'm passionate about aren't exactly well-suited for monetary gain anyway. I'm happy with my job in terms of I like the people I work with, I like the company I work for, I like my benefits, I like my hours, etc. I'm not disgruntled by any means. Accounting is not who I am it's just what I do. I just view working as a means to get what I want in life, but it's certainly not what defines me.
this is the happy medium that I settled on as well. yes, I have bad days. yes, I call in and take a day off when I just don't feel like working.

but it's a job. I get paid well to do it. I can pay my bills and have enough left over to do things that we enjoy. I don't talk about work, mainly b/c I don't want to. I do my job and I log off at the end of the day.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:18 PM   #33
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008

Quote:
I feel the same way, and I work for an accounting firm lol.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:32 PM   #34
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2016

Quote:
I had to respond just to let you know that you aren't making any sense. You're talking about two different situations now. In one, you're talking about having somebody pay your bills for your entire lifetime while you sit at home. Now, you're talking about a one time gift of $100,000. These are two completely different things. Also, this hypothetical scenario that would never happen...it happens all the time. It's called life insurance. It's also called an inheritance.

True story to prove, again, that you are wrong. A friend received a totally unexpected inheritance. Became a millionaire overnight. Bought a brand new Dodge Challenger and had it customized. Painted it Plum Crazy and put scissor doors on it. Bought the electric guitar of his dreams. He thought of quitting his job...but he didn't.
No, it was the same situation. $100,000 a year by either working or just having it handed to you. Never once said ‘one time gift’. I just broke it down into one year, as that might be easier to understand than a lifetime.

Also, that friend sounds like an idiot.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:46 PM   #35
Power Member

Jul 2017
The interior of my own mind

Not particularly. I don't hate what I currently do, and it's tolerable enough, but if someone handed me a $1 million today that would be that...
Thanks given by:
Monterey Jack (02-21-2019), RustinCohle (02-21-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 10:04 PM   #36
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007

if I could keep a job & find one that actually trained me, then yes
Old 02-20-2019, 10:04 PM   #37
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
No, it was the same situation. $100,000 a year by either working or just having it handed to you. Never once said ‘one time gift’. I just broke it down into one year, as that might be easier to understand than a lifetime.

Also, that friend sounds like an idiot.
Nice try.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:10 PM   #38
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2011

I never understand the whole "I need to work to keep busy!" thing. If I had an endless supply of money and didn't need to work, I'd just dedicate myself to my hobbies 24/7. More movies, more reading (a LOT more reading), long walks, teaching myself to cook, traveling, dating/getting laid, doing all of the shit I could never afford or have the time to do working all the time. You all act like anyone who hits the lottery and quits their job will do nothing more than sit on the couch all day eating Cheetos. What money buys is FREEDOM, more than anything, and that doesn't mean doing nothing.
Thanks given by:
Nielsb90 (03-27-2019), thecooldud (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 04:46 PM   #39
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Benny View Post
this is the happy medium that I settled on as well. yes, I have bad days. yes, I call in and take a day off when I just don't feel like working.

but it's a job. I get paid well to do it. I can pay my bills and have enough left over to do things that we enjoy. I don't talk about work, mainly b/c I don't want to. I do my job and I log off at the end of the day.
You know, what you're saying is absolutely true. It's also a good indication of how both spoiled and blessed we are. Think about how many people that live in this world and would give anything to "settle" for such a "happy medium." What we would consider settling, others would consider paradise.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:24 PM   #40
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
Alabama

Quote:
You know, what you're saying is absolutely true. It's also a good indication of how both spoiled and blessed we are. Think about how many people that live in this world and would give anything to "settle" for such a "happy medium." What we would consider settling, others would consider paradise.
so true!

that's why i'm glad to have a way to make money. i'd rather just have the money without the work, but such as it is i have to work to have money. and as Monterey Jack said, i wouldn't be bored if i wasn't working. there's too much stuff i can do to occupy my time that would normally be taken up by working at a job. again, this is assuming i already have lots of money to live on and play with.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat