Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
23 hrs ago
Dead & Buried 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99
1 day ago
Baise-moi (Blu-ray)
$19.99
23 hrs ago
Saving Silverman (Blu-ray)
$13.29
21 hrs ago
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
1 day ago
The Father (Blu-ray)
$21.99
18 hrs ago
Smile (Blu-ray)
$23.49
1 day ago
Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99
15 min ago
Wildcats (Blu-ray)
$19.99
13 hrs ago
Eyes of a Stranger (Blu-ray)
$24.99
18 hrs ago
Nobody 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99
 
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2019, 05:44 PM   #21
sk33tr sk33tr is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
sk33tr's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Alabama
21
234
9
109
3
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaice View Post
What an interesting thread. From my perspective, I don't mind work at all as I find that it keeps me active. Keep in mind that I have been active duty Navy for the last 21 years so my idea of work will vary wildly from others. I turn 40 in March & I will be retiring from the Navy next Spring after 22 years of service. Between my pension & disabilty, I don't HAVE to work again but I WANT to work to keep me moving & to give me spending money for the various stuff I want to do like travel & stuff.
i don't know if i've ever said this, Omega....but THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Blu-Benny (02-20-2019), Omegaice (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 05:51 PM   #22
Hitman Horton Hitman Horton is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
Hitman Horton's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada
21
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinCohle View Post
Not everyone would qualify for one of those programs. You don't just walk in like 'hey I don't want to work anymore, start giving me free money please'.

If the way the world worked was you either had two options, to work and make $100,000 a year, or to have someone just hand you $100,000 a year, EVERYONE would choose to just be handed the money.
EVEVRYONE includes me and I'm telling you that I would NOT let somebody else pay my way through life. The End. You are WRONG.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:55 PM   #23
Omegaice Omegaice is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
Omegaice's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Coronado, Ca.
72
389
24
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk33tr View Post
i don't know if i've ever said this, Omega....but THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!
Naw man, just doing my job & serving this Country! But thanks for the kind words.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Blu Lemmy (06-05-2019), THE_FORCE (06-05-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #24
RustinCohle RustinCohle is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
RustinCohle's Avatar
 
Mar 2016
560
1324
180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman Horton View Post
EVEVRYONE includes me and I'm telling you that I would NOT let somebody else pay my way through life. The End. You are WRONG.
You are HEATED.

Also an idiot if you wouldn't take a free $100,000 lol.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Monterey Jack (02-19-2019), thecooldud (02-21-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 06:59 PM   #25
Waboman Waboman is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Uncle Bob's House of Pancakes
98
400
3
Default

Wait. Someone is going to hand me $100K every year? Dayum! That's almost as good as living the Rage lifestyle.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Batman1980 (02-19-2019), RustinCohle (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 07:10 PM   #26
Hitman Horton Hitman Horton is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
Hitman Horton's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada
21
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinCohle View Post
You are HEATED.

Also an idiot if you wouldn't take a free $100,000 lol.
Not heated at all. Just correcting you. If you think that I'm an idiot then it says an awful lot about your character and who you are...and I feel sorry for you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:25 PM   #27
RustinCohle RustinCohle is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
RustinCohle's Avatar
 
Mar 2016
560
1324
180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman Horton View Post
Not heated at all. Just correcting you. If you think that I'm an idiot then it says an awful lot about your character and who you are...and I feel sorry for you.
I think anyone who would decline a free $100,000 is an idiot, not just you.

Anyone can say anything about some hypothetical scenario that will never happen, but if the situation did occur, even you would take the $100,000. You can't convince me otherwise. I don't believe that anyone (in their right mind) would say no to a free $100,000 and claim 'I'd rather work the next year for it instead of taking the year off and still getting the money'.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:12 PM   #28
Hitman Horton Hitman Horton is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
Hitman Horton's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada
21
7
Default

Here are my final words on this subject. We all need money to live. We have bills to pay and we need to pay them. There's really only two options. Earn the money to pay them ourselves or let somebody else pay them for us. If the second option is the one most attractive to you then you can stop reading now.

If you want to earn the money yourself do what I did. I found something that I loved to do and I found a way to get paid to do it. I've been doing it for 30 years and I still enjoy it. There's good days and bad days. There's days that I'd love to stay at home instead. That's the way it is with everything in life...not just work. If you're doing something that you enjoy it really doesn't seem like work.

If you wake up every morning dreading work, it's time to move on. Find something you love to do and figure out how to get paid to do it.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Freeza (02-20-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 08:28 PM   #29
Steelmaker Steelmaker is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Steelmaker's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN
1
1
Default

I work in accounting. It's certainly not a passion of mine, but the things I'm passionate about aren't exactly well-suited for monetary gain anyway. I'm happy with my job in terms of I like the people I work with, I like the company I work for, I like my benefits, I like my hours, etc. I'm not disgruntled by any means. Accounting is not who I am it's just what I do. I just view working as a means to get what I want in life, but it's certainly not what defines me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:03 AM   #30
Xtempo Xtempo is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Xtempo's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
Commonwealth of Virgin
74
260
176
1
Default

I enjoy my work when I started in August and then later they kept putting me cafe and keeping me there and there were all the closings shifts and other shit that I haven't wanted to go back to that ever again for a least 2 weeks. I hope I can find something as long as it is not retail and because retail sucks and I admire and appreciate the vetrens and the long career standing ones so much though and talking to my bosses its not a good fit for me in any way so I hope to get something soon but I can't stand it anymore there.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:38 AM   #31
Hitman Horton Hitman Horton is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
Hitman Horton's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada
21
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinCohle View Post
I think anyone who would decline a free $100,000 is an idiot, not just you.

Anyone can say anything about some hypothetical scenario that will never happen, but if the situation did occur, even you would take the $100,000. You can't convince me otherwise. I don't believe that anyone (in their right mind) would say no to a free $100,000 and claim 'I'd rather work the next year for it instead of taking the year off and still getting the money'.
I had to respond just to let you know that you aren't making any sense. You're talking about two different situations now. In one, you're talking about having somebody pay your bills for your entire lifetime while you sit at home. Now, you're talking about a one time gift of $100,000. These are two completely different things. Also, this hypothetical scenario that would never happen...it happens all the time. It's called life insurance. It's also called an inheritance.

True story to prove, again, that you are wrong. A friend received a totally unexpected inheritance. Became a millionaire overnight. Bought a brand new Dodge Challenger and had it customized. Painted it Plum Crazy and put scissor doors on it. Bought the electric guitar of his dreams. He thought of quitting his job...but he didn't.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 03:37 PM   #32
Blu-Benny Blu-Benny is offline
Michael Bay's #1 Fan
 
Blu-Benny's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny
39
539
108
138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
I work in accounting. It's certainly not a passion of mine, but the things I'm passionate about aren't exactly well-suited for monetary gain anyway. I'm happy with my job in terms of I like the people I work with, I like the company I work for, I like my benefits, I like my hours, etc. I'm not disgruntled by any means. Accounting is not who I am it's just what I do. I just view working as a means to get what I want in life, but it's certainly not what defines me.
this is the happy medium that I settled on as well. yes, I have bad days. yes, I call in and take a day off when I just don't feel like working.

but it's a job. I get paid well to do it. I can pay my bills and have enough left over to do things that we enjoy. I don't talk about work, mainly b/c I don't want to. I do my job and I log off at the end of the day.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:18 PM   #33
Dirk504 Dirk504 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Dirk504's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
25
110
324
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
I work in accounting. It's certainly not a passion of mine, but the things I'm passionate about aren't exactly well-suited for monetary gain anyway. I'm happy with my job in terms of I like the people I work with, I like the company I work for, I like my benefits, I like my hours, etc. I'm not disgruntled by any means. Accounting is not who I am it's just what I do. I just view working as a means to get what I want in life, but it's certainly not what defines me.
I feel the same way, and I work for an accounting firm lol.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:32 PM   #34
RustinCohle RustinCohle is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
RustinCohle's Avatar
 
Mar 2016
560
1324
180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman Horton View Post
I had to respond just to let you know that you aren't making any sense. You're talking about two different situations now. In one, you're talking about having somebody pay your bills for your entire lifetime while you sit at home. Now, you're talking about a one time gift of $100,000. These are two completely different things. Also, this hypothetical scenario that would never happen...it happens all the time. It's called life insurance. It's also called an inheritance.

True story to prove, again, that you are wrong. A friend received a totally unexpected inheritance. Became a millionaire overnight. Bought a brand new Dodge Challenger and had it customized. Painted it Plum Crazy and put scissor doors on it. Bought the electric guitar of his dreams. He thought of quitting his job...but he didn't.
No, it was the same situation. $100,000 a year by either working or just having it handed to you. Never once said ‘one time gift’. I just broke it down into one year, as that might be easier to understand than a lifetime.

Also, that friend sounds like an idiot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:46 PM   #35
thecooldud thecooldud is offline
Power Member
 
thecooldud's Avatar
 
Jul 2017
The interior of my own mind
2
729
1
Default

Not particularly. I don't hate what I currently do, and it's tolerable enough, but if someone handed me a $1 million today that would be that...
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Monterey Jack (02-21-2019), RustinCohle (02-21-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 10:04 PM   #36
jwblu jwblu is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
jwblu's Avatar
 
Nov 2007
2
5
199
1
2
3
Default

if I could keep a job & find one that actually trained me, then yes
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:04 PM   #37
Hitman Horton Hitman Horton is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
Hitman Horton's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada
21
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinCohle View Post
No, it was the same situation. $100,000 a year by either working or just having it handed to you. Never once said ‘one time gift’. I just broke it down into one year, as that might be easier to understand than a lifetime.

Also, that friend sounds like an idiot.
Nice try.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:10 PM   #38
Monterey Jack Monterey Jack is online now
Blu-ray Archduke
 
Monterey Jack's Avatar
 
Oct 2011
570
Default

I never understand the whole "I need to work to keep busy!" thing. If I had an endless supply of money and didn't need to work, I'd just dedicate myself to my hobbies 24/7. More movies, more reading (a LOT more reading), long walks, teaching myself to cook, traveling, dating/getting laid, doing all of the shit I could never afford or have the time to do working all the time. You all act like anyone who hits the lottery and quits their job will do nothing more than sit on the couch all day eating Cheetos. What money buys is FREEDOM, more than anything, and that doesn't mean doing nothing.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Nielsb90 (03-27-2019), thecooldud (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 04:46 PM   #39
Steelmaker Steelmaker is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
Steelmaker's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Benny View Post
this is the happy medium that I settled on as well. yes, I have bad days. yes, I call in and take a day off when I just don't feel like working.

but it's a job. I get paid well to do it. I can pay my bills and have enough left over to do things that we enjoy. I don't talk about work, mainly b/c I don't want to. I do my job and I log off at the end of the day.
You know, what you're saying is absolutely true. It's also a good indication of how both spoiled and blessed we are. Think about how many people that live in this world and would give anything to "settle" for such a "happy medium." What we would consider settling, others would consider paradise.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:24 PM   #40
sk33tr sk33tr is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
sk33tr's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Alabama
21
234
9
109
3
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
You know, what you're saying is absolutely true. It's also a good indication of how both spoiled and blessed we are. Think about how many people that live in this world and would give anything to "settle" for such a "happy medium." What we would consider settling, others would consider paradise.
so true!

that's why i'm glad to have a way to make money. i'd rather just have the money without the work, but such as it is i have to work to have money. and as Monterey Jack said, i wouldn't be bored if i wasn't working. there's too much stuff i can do to occupy my time that would normally be taken up by working at a job. again, this is assuming i already have lots of money to live on and play with.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:17 AM.