Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
2 hrs ago
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
G.I. Joe: Retaliation 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
Fleabag: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
1 day ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

Drive (Blu-ray)
$31.99
2 hrs ago
Tenet 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The BRD Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$44.99
8 hrs ago
300 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Blade 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Do the Right Thing 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 09-21-2019, 01:46 AM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010
Default Is it normal that haircut prices increase every year?

I've been going to the same barber near where I live for about six years. Every year, he has been increasing his haircut price by $1. I was trying to be accepting of that but then this year, he raised it $2. So, a haircut that used to cost me $13 six years ago is now costing me $20. That's a $7 hike in six years. I've asked him before why he keeps increasing his price and he keeps saying that his landlord keeps raising his rent. I was getting a little annoyed inside, so I was looking elsewhere for other barbershops. Some charge from $25-30 while I found some that charge $15-18. So his price isn't too out of line yet, but it's scaring me at the rate he is increasing his price. $2 a year seems a bit excessive and beyond the rate of inflation. It's not price hike itself that bothers me, but the rate at which it's increasing.

I don't mind going to other barbershops as I'm not overly picky about my haircut, but I just don't want to lose this guy's loyalty. In fact, I've tried going to barbershops near my job occasionally due to convenience and shorter wait times (due to more barbers available) and I have always been happy with my haircuts no matter who did it. But whenever I miss a haircut, my regular barber always knows and always asks me, "What happened to you, man? It's been a while" and I'm afraid of losing his loyalty since this guy is right in my residential neighborhood.

So what do you guys think? Is my barber being a bit excessive with his price hikes?
Old 09-21-2019, 01:47 AM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2009
Off-World Colonies

That's inflation for you.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:52 AM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
$2 a year!!??

I find it funny how the prices of movies and TVs are going down, but haircut prices are skyrocketing! I guess maybe I should no longer have a fear of going bald when I get older. Maybe that's a good thing!
Old 09-21-2019, 02:43 AM   #4
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2013
-
-

I just shave my own hair at home. I'm way too cheap to pay a barber to do it for me. It'd probably be like $20 bucks for the cut and then another $5 for the tip, I'm good with that.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:56 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
South Midlands town of Denton

Old 09-21-2019, 04:09 AM   #6
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
So, a haircut that used to cost me $13 six years ago is now costing me $20.
My current place only charges $13.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
That's more than inflation, otherwise it would be around $14.50.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:07 AM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
I just shave my own hair at home. I'm way too cheap to pay a barber to do it for me. It'd probably be like $20 bucks for the cut and then another $5 for the tip, I'm good with that.
bingo

i haven't paid for a haircut in over 2 decades. and while i don't shave mine, i do use clippers and use a 1/4" guard on it. i keep it short 'cause my hair is think and if it gets too long, i get too hot easily.
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (09-21-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 11:01 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Barbershops are a rip-off & a pointless waste of time. I've been shaving my own head for years, and it's an easy & cheap alternative vs. spending a lot of $ on a hair-cut. Guys should be able to take care of this @ home.

If you're a woman, I can see the need for going to a salon/etc. & having your hair done because our culture places a lot of emphasis on women's hair always looking good/stylish/etc.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:32 AM   #9
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2011

I'm lucky that my sister-in-law is a hairstylist, so I get free haircuts two or three times per year.
Thanks given by:
civiclx (09-21-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 01:23 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey Jack View Post
I'm lucky that my sister-in-law is a hairstylist, so I get free haircuts two or three times per year.
Same here.

The big new draw in our area are 'Orient Cut' Barbershops. They are also specialized in trimming beards 'oriental style'

Not surprising, they are quite popular at the moment. That is until the next trend.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:45 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
I've been going to the same barber near where I live for about six years. Every year, he has been increasing his haircut price by $1. I was trying to be accepting of that but then this year, he raised it $2. So, a haircut that used to cost me $13 six years ago is now costing me $20. That's a $7 hike in six years. I've asked him before why he keeps increasing his price and he keeps saying that his landlord keeps raising his rent. I was getting a little annoyed inside, so I was looking elsewhere for other barbershops. Some charge from $25-30 while I found some that charge $15-18. So his price isn't too out of line yet, but it's scaring me at the rate he is increasing his price. $2 a year seems a bit excessive and beyond the rate of inflation. It's not price hike itself that bothers me, but the rate at which it's increasing.

I don't mind going to other barbershops as I'm not overly picky about my haircut, but I just don't want to lose this guy's loyalty. In fact, I've tried going to barbershops near my job occasionally due to convenience and shorter wait times (due to more barbers available) and I have always been happy with my haircuts no matter who did it. But whenever I miss a haircut, my regular barber always knows and always asks me, "What happened to you, man? It's been a while" and I'm afraid of losing his loyalty since this guy is right in my residential neighborhood.

So what do you guys think? Is my barber being a bit excessive with his price hikes?
Rent increases (or the cost to lease the chair space if not the owner of the salon/barber shop) and health insurance (it's huge) are typically two of the highest cost increases for a barber and hair stylist. Plus, I would assume you would want a annual pay increase, I think my barber would want one as well.

It's a free market, but if it were me (and I've been seeing my barber for over two decades), I would accept the bump and move on.

This article is from 4 years ago, so I assume the prices would be higher

https://www.gq.com/story/haircut-cost-barber

This is from salary.com

https://www.salary.com/research/sala.../barber-salary

The average Barber salary in the United States is $31,254 as of August 27, 2019...this equals about $16 per hour.

Last edited by ronboster; 09-21-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Thanks given by:
Wingman1977 (09-27-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 05:24 PM   #12
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

I just do it myself as I have for years, got tired of slipping a stylist $17 for a buzz cut.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:51 PM   #13
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2011

Even if I were paying for haircuts, like $15-$20 maybe three times a year doesn't sound that bad to me.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #14
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

Quote:
Even if I were paying for haircuts, like $15-$20 maybe three times a year doesn't sound that bad to me.
It's 26 haircuts a year, so that's $442 a year I've been saving since June 2016.
Thanks given by:
Monterey Jack (09-21-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 06:54 PM   #15
Blu-ray Count

Nov 2008
San Jose, Ca USAwesome!

In the Marine Corp, we had to get our hair cut every week so it was good to find a place th at was cheap. We had a barber on base but I went to this place off base where it was like less than $6. I was shocked when I came home and it was like $10+ for a hair cut in the Bay Area.
In Japan, I got my haircut on base and I believe all of the barbers were Japanese civilians and I think they'd give you a hot towel and a nice massage when they were done.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:22 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
SE Kentucky, USA

My barber of 25yrs retired a couple years ago. My grandfather went to him, took his boys to him, as well as his grandsons(myself included). I started going to him as an adult, probably 10x a year (my hair grew in long, thick and quick)-I don't think he changed his prices since the 80s. Not only was it cheap but he had a lot of stories of my grandfather's that I likely never would have heard otherwise. When he closed down I tried going to a chain like supercuts but it wasn't the same so I picked up some Clippers for $30 from walmart and been using the 1/4" guide on my self regularly. Works for me, I've thought about buzzing my head 2-3x a year for simplicity sake but my wife told me my head was too large for that to look good. Oh well gotta love her for being honest I guess
Old 09-21-2019, 11:15 PM   #17
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2013
-
-

Quote:
I cut my hair about every two to two and a half months. I hate letting my hair get even somewhat long.
Old 09-22-2019, 04:01 AM   #18

Jan 2015

I cut my own hair
Old 09-22-2019, 05:27 AM   #19
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Not sure how people can cut their own hair. I don't have eyes on the back of my head. So, cutting that area is going to be quite difficult for me.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:30 AM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
My hair grows way too fast. So I need one every four weeks. I used to go every three weeks because after that amount of time, my hair starts looking untidy. But due to the annual price increases from my barber, I've been going every four weeks now.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat