Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$41.24
2 hrs ago
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
5 hrs ago
Smile (Blu-ray)
$23.49
6 hrs ago
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
6 hrs ago
Dead & Buried 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99
6 hrs ago
The Father (Blu-ray)
$21.99
52 min ago
Godzilla vs. Kong / Godzilla: King of the Monsters / Kong: Skull Island (Blu-ray)
$39.99
18 hrs ago
Saving Silverman (Blu-ray)
$13.29
3 hrs ago
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

Working Girls (Blu-ray)
$27.99
8 hrs ago
Shenandoah (Blu-ray)
$16.59
5 hrs ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 09-22-2019, 05:40 AM   #21
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
Not sure how people can cut their own hair. I don't have eyes on the back of my head. So, cutting that area is going to be quite difficult for me.
Yeah the back is where I have a slight tendency to miss, especially if I rush. Gotten better at it though over the last 3 years. Just remember to try to be patient, use a mirror and your fingers to check. Also I always go in the bathroom after the main cutting and use the large vanity mirror to do the main double check.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:31 PM   #22
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
Alabama

Quote:
Not sure how people can cut their own hair. I don't have eyes on the back of my head. So, cutting that area is going to be quite difficult for me.
i stand with my back to the big mirror in my bathroom. i then hold a small mirror in one hand and use the clippers, held in the other hand.

after a few times, you get pretty good and can do it without the mirror; only using it to check to make sure you got everything and it's all even.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:29 PM   #23
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2009
California

Quote:
I don't know how people do it, either. Even just running a pair of clippers over my head is awkward for me to do on my own, so my dad does it since he's pretty good at it. I have my phone's calendar set to remind me every six weeks. I've always had pretty thick hair (when I was growing up barbers and stylists were always telling me how lucky I was to have such a head of hair), so by about six weeks it's starting to get a little unruly and in need of a trim. My dad just takes the clippers and buzzes them over my head to crop it like an old G.I. Joe doll.
Thanks given by:
ronboster (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 12:35 PM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

To echo what others have said, if you start cutting your own hair at home, have patience, are careful, and use the right tools - you should get to the point that you can do it easily & may eventually not even need a mirror.

It's definitely a lot easier/cheaper/more convenient than going to the barbershop every 2 months/month/week - i.e. the frequency you would want it cut would depend on how short you want your hair.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:17 PM   #25
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2012

Those of you who cut your own hair, how do you manage to trim the bottom end of your hairline (back of the neck)? Or do you not care about it? There's nothing like a nicely trimmed - and straight - line back there. Personally, I can't have fuzzy wuzzy hair back there.

I've been going to the same barbers for 20+ years. Yes, prices have increased over the years but I still only pay an average of $15+tip. My barber, a woman, knows my hair all too well and knows what I like. She trims my eyebrows, goatee, sides - everything - for fifteen bucks. I'm balding so there's not a lot of actual hair cutting to do - it's mostly trimming. I wouldn't trade that comfort zone to save a few bucks for anything. Plus, going to a different barber would probably ruin my life lol. I'd have to start from scratch explaining how I like my cut. Went to a different barber once, paid a lot more, and ended up with a butchered cut. No thanks
Old 09-23-2019, 02:19 PM   #26
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema84 View Post
Those of you who cut your own hair, how do you manage to trim the bottom end of your hairline (back of the neck)? Or do you not care about it? There's nothing like a nicely trimmed - and straight - line back there. Personally, I can't have fuzzy wuzzy hair back there.

I've been going to the same barbers for 20+ years. Yes, prices have increased over the years but I still only pay an average of $15+tip. My barber, a woman, knows my hair all too well and knows what I like. She trims my eyebrows, goatee, sides - everything - for fifteen bucks. I'm balding so there's not a lot of actual hair cutting to do - it's mostly trimming. I wouldn't trade that comfort zone to save a few bucks for anything. Plus, going to a different barber would probably ruin my life lol. I'd have to start from scratch explaining how I like my cut. Went to a different barber once, paid a lot more, and ended up with a butchered cut. No thanks
as i stated above, i stand with my back to the large mirror in the bathroom and hold a small mirror in one hand and use the clippers in the other hand. after doing it for a number of years, i've gotten good at it and it's all nice and even.

i remove the guard on the clippers to get the hair on my neck and even up the ends. then i put the guard back on and do the rest of it.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:32 AM   #27
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2016

I travel 30 miles out of my way to a small town where a woman has her own shop with odd hours.

Her sign says "$14 for haircut after taxes" or something but I always give her $20/$25.

I get it cut every 6-8 weeks. She usually isn't open when I need my hair cut but I'll text her and she'll open up for me.

She's not allowed to die before me. I won't allow it.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:53 AM   #28
Blu-ray Guru

May 2013
Ashburn, VA

Local place I've been going to since 2011 or so has gone up from $11 to $16. Less if you're military or a first responder. I have always just given them 20 bucks. Bonus is that they give you a hot shave on the back of your neck and a hot towel.

When after tip it's over 20 bucks I'll find another place.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:33 PM   #29
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2012

I'm overdue for a cut and have to hustle my way down to the shop after work tonight because they close an hour after I get off work. I'm more concerned with making it there on time that the cost of the cut. Yes, paying for a haircut is totally OK

One of my biggest fears is a blackout or power outage right in the middle of my cut
Old 09-26-2019, 01:42 PM   #30
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2011

Quote:
One of my biggest fears is a blackout or power outage right in the middle of my cut
Reminds me of that movie clichť where a guy is interrupted in mid-shave by something (knock on the door, ringing phone), uses a towel to wipe off the remaining shaming cream...to reveal a magically smooth face. No movie character has ever had to go through the remainder of a film with a face that is half-clean shaven, half-stubbly.
Thanks given by:
Cinema84 (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 03:11 PM   #31
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
Alabama

Quote:
I'm overdue for a cut and have to hustle my way down to the shop after work tonight because they close an hour after I get off work. I'm more concerned with making it there on time that the cost of the cut. Yes, paying for a haircut is totally OK

this is what you seek
Old 09-27-2019, 05:29 AM   #32
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Plus, going to a different barber would probably ruin my life lol. I'd have to start from scratch explaining how I like my cut. Went to a different barber once, paid a lot more, and ended up with a butchered cut. No thanks
When I was a teenager, I used to go to the same woman all the time and I would never be caught dead going to someone else. And due to my busy schedule at work sometimes, I occasionally have to go to a different barbershop near my job. And youíd be surprised that I still get a pretty consistent haircut and nobody I know can tell that I went to someone different.

Maybe for you itís different since you get your eyebrows and goatee done. But since Iím just getting a simple haircut, itís surprisingly easy to explain what haircut I want.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:07 PM   #33
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
Alabama

a bad haircut isn't the end of the world. it's hair....it'll grow back.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:35 PM   #34
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk33tr View Post
a bad haircut isn't the end of the world. it's hair....it'll grow back.
Back in college (80's), I got the worst haircut of my life. It's one where you think it's bad when they show you the cut in the mirror...but as you walk home you think "oh, it's not that bad". When I walked up to the fraternity house, guys asked (sincerely) "why I got a punk cut".

I normally get my haircut every three weeks, I didn't need a cut for over 3 months. There is one year book pic, I look like Eddie Munster (those under 50 can google ).
Old 09-27-2019, 04:03 PM   #35
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2012

Quote:
Maybe for you itís different since you get your eyebrows and goatee done. But since Iím just getting a simple haircut, itís surprisingly easy to explain what haircut I want.
My barber took it upon herself to trim my brows (I didn't ask her to) but it's not something barbers usually do. Now that I've gotten used to getting my brows trimmed I don't think I could live without that extra service

As to your second point: this dude asked his barber for a mirror after the barber got done cutting his hair. He stared at himself for several minutes and made the guy keep trimming a couple more times but he still didn't look satisfied. Sometimes people just aren't easily pleased, while other times a simple explanation doesn't seem to be enough
Old 09-27-2019, 05:27 PM   #36
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

I get my haircut every other week and I give him $30 ($22 plus I leave him a $80 tip). Other cutting my hair low, givese me a shave and cuts and lines up my gotee When I go bald (which is probably a few yrs away since I'm 42and my hairline is starting to reced on the left and right ends of my hairline), I'll have my head shaven (which should be cheaper). To quote a line from the movie Barbershop, "it's something simple as a haircut to change the way a man feels about himself" (or something like that).
Thanks given by:
ronboster (09-27-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 01:14 AM   #37
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
I get my haircut every other week and I give him $30 ($22 plus I leave him a $80 tip). Other cutting my hair low, givese me a shave and cuts and lines up my gotee When I go bald (which is probably a few yrs away since I'm 42and my hairline is starting to reced on the left and right ends of my hairline), I'll have my head shaven (which should be cheaper). To quote a line from the movie Barbershop, "it's something simple as a haircut to change the way a man feels about himself" (or something like that).
[Show spoiler]
Old 09-29-2019, 02:24 AM   #38
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
As to your second point: this dude asked his barber for a mirror after the barber got done cutting his hair. He stared at himself for several minutes and made the guy keep trimming a couple more times but he still didn't look satisfied. Sometimes people just aren't easily pleased, while other times a simple explanation doesn't seem to be enough
It actually took a while for me to find out how easy it was to explain my haircut. Usually, most barbers are very good at cutting the top of my hair and even if they did mess it up and cut it too short, my hair grows so fast that it will grow back in no time. It's the sides of my hair that used to be the difficult part to explain. I never like it when barbers shave my sides too short. I finally realized eventually that the sides can be easily explained by just letting the barber know what clipper size to use. So I just tell them to use a #3 clipper and I'm all set on the sides. Then I tell them to trim the top and so they just keep cutting it shorter and shorter until I tell them when it's ok to stop.

Last edited by MrHT; 09-29-2019 at 02:28 AM.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:27 AM   #39
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
I get my haircut every other week and I give him $30 ($22 plus I leave him a $80 tip).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post
[Show spoiler]
He definitely is his #1 customer, for sure! If I were a barber, I definitely would value a customer who was that generous of a tipper!
Old 09-29-2019, 11:24 PM   #40
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
DFW TX

Did a self haircut with clippers at home the last two times I needed one after watching a few YT clips. Itís not perfect, specifically the back of my head but I have a sense of satisfaction knowing I can at least put gel or paste in it to style it and cover most imperfections. The thing I dislike is how messy it can get after itís all done and I need clean it up.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat