Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Orphan Black: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Drive (Blu-ray)
$27.99
2 hrs ago
The Rocketeer (Blu-ray)
$8.99
13 hrs ago
The Hobbit: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$73.43
12 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99
1 day ago
Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

City Slickers II: The Legend of Curly's Gold (Blu-ray)
$19.99
13 hrs ago
The Hand (Blu-ray)
$24.99
13 hrs ago
Dragonheart: 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Groove Tube (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 day ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 08-02-2020, 07:48 AM   #61
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2015
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman1980 View Post
I've been using clippers on myself for 4 years and I've been getting it buzzed for 20, that's a small fortune (almost $500) in my pocket every year. Not to mention all the hassle of getting a haircut in a salon.
Iíve been using them for absolutely ages now (probably something ridiculous like 20 years - the first one I bought came with an instructional VHS ). Never had any problems, or terrible mistakes yet.
Clippers are pretty easy to use, you just need a couple of mirrors, a fairly steady hand, you have to know the shape/contour of your head, and most of all, you have to have the confidence.
Itís not just a short buzz cut either, but a proper short back and sides blended up to longer on top, using the different length guide attachments.
Must have saved an absolute fortune over that time.
Thanks given by:
Batman1980 (08-02-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 11:34 AM   #62
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2014

I haven't let anyone cut my hair in many many years. I was tired of leaving the shop feeling ugly and with hair cut not how I wanted it, so I started to cut it myself. It's not easy initially. Sometimes you end up looking a bit like a tool, but it grows back, it's not the end of the world (years ago I would have shouted at myself saying "it bloody well is!").
One expense less to bother me!
Scissors for the top and sides, trimmer for the back. Of course you need some mirrors in the back, helpful are the cabinet doors mirrors AND PATIENCE.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:06 PM   #63
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

I'm actually surprised that my barber hasn't lowered his price a little since he reopened in June. He claims that he's been paying his current rent and still can't afford to pay the back rent that he owed from when he was closed. His back rent is around $7,000. Seriously, he doesn't have $7,000 and couldn't raise that money during the four months he's been open? How broke is this guy?

Damn, don't people today save anymore? My salary is very low and I pay NYC expenses and have way over $7,000 in my saving account. People today just love to piss away all their money. Ridiculous!
Thanks given by:
Here2Learn (02-25-2021)
Old 10-21-2020, 12:48 AM   #64
Power Member

Oct 2008

It appears MrHT is talking about a barber who actually owns the place so I can understand his point about haircut prices.

One of my buddies goes to his guy. Before the pandemic, my buddy would go twice a month. Haircuts did go up yearly or semi-annually and went from $11 over a few years and hit $16 pre-pandemic. I get it. Rent goes up and so must the cost of haircuts. It happens and that's life.

Now the barber shop was closed for several months and when he re-opened, he raised the price from $16 to $20. That's a 25% increase from what it was. This is the part which is difficult because it's a very fine line. When the haircut was $16, my buddy tipped the guy four bucks. (I always thought tipping the owner was bullshit but whatever.) He paid $20 after tip. Now with the price at $20 he tips $5 for a total of $25 a cut.

Since we are all working from home, my buddy decided with the added cost, he would only cut his hair once a month now. He told me had the price stayed at 16 or even 18, he would likely continue twice a month.

So now, his barber makes $25 a month from him instead of a potential $40.I would rather make less per cut but make more net. Or maybe my buddy is the only one who cut back.

Last edited by beefytwinkie; 10-21-2020 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:27 AM   #65
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytwinkie View Post
One of my buddies goes to his guy. Before the pandemic, my buddy would go twice a month.
How fast does this guy's hair grow?!
Old 10-21-2020, 01:45 AM   #66
Power Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey Jack View Post
How fast does this guy's hair grow?!
LOL he keeps it short. High fade. If he lets it go he starts to look like a Q-Tip. At three weeks he starts to look kind of funny. At four he needs a buzz.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:06 AM   #67
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2011

I'm a lazy sod, and usually only get my hair cut every three months or so when I start developing a mullet and the hair around my ears starts sticking out around the stems of my glasses.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:23 PM   #68
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

I can't wait to really be balding so I can just shave my head (my hairline is just slightly receding which is what happens when one hits 43yrs old I guess).
Old 12-06-2020, 12:52 AM   #69
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

I think I may try this out....

Looks pretty straightforward, so if it's as easy as the video makes it seems, then it's worth it. Haircuts are costing me $30 (tip included) every four weeks, so I'm sure this will save me a lot of money if it really works.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:23 PM   #70
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

I probably might regret this, but I went ahead and bought a Wahl haircutting kit at Best Buy today. It was only $40, and my eyes lit up because it seems like a worthwhile investment if I can learn to cut my own hair. Since haircuts are now costing me $30 total with tip, then $40 doesn’t seem so bad, assuming I can learn to groom my own hair.

I’m hoping I can learn and that I don’t screw this up. I’m a bit worried about it, but hey, now is the best time to try since I’m always at home anyway and nobody really sees me but my neighbors when I go out to the store. But I’m still working from home, so I don’t really have to look presentable for work, so why not try?
Old 01-30-2021, 09:39 PM   #71
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

I do it and have since June 2017 but I have the advantage of just cutting it all off every 2 weeks. I doubt it ever looks like a professional did it and I do miss some hair on the back sometimes but I'm pretty sure I catch most of it afterwards during touchups. Still don't miss the $17 I paid per cut plus driving to and from the shop and having to wait despite making appointments.

LOL I see I've mentioned this quite a few times already. I still say I'd be willing to do salons again for $5 including tips, which is what I think this haircut should cost. For professionals, it's probably the easiest cut, on and off the chair in 5- minutes. Oh well, their loss, not mine.

Last edited by Batman1980; 01-30-2021 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:20 PM   #72
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

The issue is, my barber raised his price from $18 to $23 after he reopened back in June. You would think that would just be a temporary increase until he made up the lost income and he paid his back rent. But he told me not too long ago that his back rent has still not been paid off. He's just been paying the current month's rent. This guy has been reopened for over 7 months and still can't pay his back rent??? What the hell is this guy doing?

I remember back during my high school days when a guy's haircut used to be $5 at a barbershop. Not anymore!
Old 02-01-2021, 12:46 PM   #73

Jan 2021
Ontario, Canada

My sister cuts my hair for free.

I want to learn how to do it myself.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:04 AM   #74
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Well, I tried to cut my own hair and didn't do the greatest job. As I suspected, the hardest part was the back and shaping up the neck. It was too hard to do with a mirror and I didn't want to really mess things up, so I only cut a little bit and did a very minor clean up on the neck. But really couldn't do a thorough job like a professional would.

I guess it's back to the barbershop in a few weeks...
Old 02-02-2021, 01:26 PM   #75
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
SE Kentucky, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
Well, I tried to cut my own hair and didn't do the greatest job. As I suspected, the hardest part was the back and shaping up the neck. It was too hard to do with a mirror and I didn't want to really mess things up, so I only cut a little bit and did a very minor clean up on the neck. But really couldn't do a thorough job like a professional would.

I guess it's back to the barbershop in a few weeks...
Just buzz it off and wear a hat, it's only hair, it'll grow back.
Thanks given by:
Batman1980 (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 02:26 PM   #76
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2008
Ex-Pat of The Diamond Capital of North Americaô

My Ex's son does his with clippers and does it well. Different designs.
You gotta keep at it. Quitting is for Quitters.
Thanks given by:
Mike16 (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 06:23 AM   #77
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike16 View Post
Just buzz it off and wear a hat, it's only hair, it'll grow back.
I was pondering on that... maybe buzz it off with the #8 clipper guard. That way, I can buzz it off but not be completely bald. Though it wouldn't be as nice as the barber tho. I like the way they buzz the sides off, trim the top and nicely blend the top and sides together. You won't get that nice effect with a DIY buzzcut.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:53 PM   #78

Jun 2019

It's gone up with my local barber, but I'd happily pay more with them for the company they give me. I almost favor the great conversations I have them with than the actual cut itself (which is also spot on).
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (02-03-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 11:17 PM   #79

Feb 2021

My hair cut prices have remained the same. I have been cutting my own hair for almost 19 years. I have spent that money elsewhere. :-)
Thanks given by:
Infrared Sight (02-26-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat