Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$41.24
4 hrs ago
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
7 hrs ago
The Father (Blu-ray)
$21.99
3 hrs ago
Smile (Blu-ray)
$23.49
8 hrs ago
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
8 hrs ago
Dead & Buried 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99
9 hrs ago
Saving Silverman (Blu-ray)
$13.29
5 hrs ago
Godzilla vs. Kong / Godzilla: King of the Monsters / Kong: Skull Island (Blu-ray)
$39.99
21 hrs ago
Baise-moi (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
Eyes of a Stranger (Blu-ray)
$24.99
3 hrs ago
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 03-12-2020, 02:56 PM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
I can't imagine VHS making a comeback. I bet it would look like absolute garbage on my 4K TV. And my TV isn't all that big.

For those of you who have really big TVs, good luck watching VHS tapes.
Agreed. Never liked VHS tapes even when they were the only format around. Sub-par PQ and the full-screen format were garbage - and, the bulky aspect & the need to re-wind were a real turn-off as well.

And, if a film/show on VHS tape isn't on DVD/Blu yet, in some cases I can still find streams of the movie/TV series online.

So, I don't see the need to have a VCR or VHS's. I haven't had the format since 1996, and have been very happy without this.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 03-12-2020 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:22 PM   #22
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

Quote:
I don't think I've ever owned a CRT TV that stopped working. Those things may be bulky and have poor picture quality, but damn, those bad boys were durable as hell!!
It got water damage and the picture wouldn’t stabilize after that.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:21 PM   #23

Jun 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface32 View Post
I had a really nice CRT HDTV, I liked it because I could play Duck Hunt on it. I think it was one of the last CRTs made. Damn thing had to stop working 2 years ago. Now no more Duck Hunt for me. The NES Light Gun required a CRT to work.
^ YES! Duck Hunt must live on.
Old 03-14-2020, 09:22 PM   #24

Jun 2011
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpruceMoose View Post
^ YES! Duck Hunt must live on.
Retropie came up with technology to allow Duck Hunt to work with LCD TVs
Old 03-18-2020, 07:52 AM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

I still use a lot of old school tech. I'm reading this thread on a crt monitor, and my television is a 16X9 CRT HDTV. I haven't felt the need to upgrade, mainly because I like to enjoy a lot of old video games, laserdiscs, and VHS...in addition to the OTA HD broadcasts, blu-rays, and dvds....and this particular CRT set-up gives the best of both worlds.

So, VHS isn't "back" here. It never left in the first place. As long as there is content that's only available on VHS (and there is a ton of that), there will always be slightly-mental archivists like myself out there powering up their vcrs to play/capture said titles.

Last edited by BeastCreatureTrapper; 03-18-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Thanks given by:
yanksno1 (12-31-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 07:25 AM   #26
Blu-ray Baron

Dec 2011

Quote:
I can't imagine VHS making a comeback. I bet it would look like absolute garbage on my 4K TV. And my TV isn't all that big.

I've made several VHS>DVD transfers using my VCR and my PC, for a few rare titles that still haven't been released to DVD or blu-ray anywhere in the world. I just watched one a few months ago on my 55", and it was watchable. I did a nice job with the transfer though, maxing out the DVD spec bitrate and using a filter to clean up some of the noise. It was certainly soft and lacking in the detail you'd expect from DVD or blu-ray, but it was watchable for me. It helped that it was 4:3 like most VHS tapes were.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:27 AM   #27
Blu-ray Baron

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
Agreed. Never liked VHS tapes even when they were the only format around. Sub-par PQ and the full-screen format were garbage - and, the bulky aspect & the need to re-wind were a real turn-off as well.

And, if a film/show on VHS tape isn't on DVD/Blu yet, in some cases I can still find streams of the movie/TV series online.

So, I don't see the need to have a VCR or VHS's. I haven't had the format since 1996, and have been very happy without this.
The worst thing was tape damage/tracking issues. Miserable format. I mean back in the day I loved it just to be able to tape stuff and own a collection, but it was an awful format really.

But all that said, I had no audio sync issues, like I have on and off these days with blu-ray and UHD thanks to HDMI/receiver nonsense. I wouldn't want to go back, but for all the advances we've made in home video, we still have some extremely annoying issues (I can't use Dolby Vision on my TV because it's broken on my model).

Also, DVDs scratched as easily as VHS tapes got crumpled. At least blu-rays are more resilient to scratches.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:06 PM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Deep inside your fever-dream.

>sigh<

This thread just reminded me.... I still have about 30 VHS tapes waiting to burned to DVD-R's, and then stored on a hard drive. Well, it's something to do, here in the Viral Era.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:58 AM   #29

Mar 2010
Scotland

Quote:

I have a 65" HDTV, and have my S-VHS player hooked up to it via S-Video connection, and it looks surprisingly decent.
Thanks given by:
BeastCreatureTrapper (03-27-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 08:04 PM   #30

Mar 2018

What were the best sets to watch VHS on? I need something small, like a 13" I'm kinda down for the comeback, to be honest.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:18 PM   #31
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada

Hipsters will help bring anything back. Vinyl still had its slowly growing niche of audiophiles looking for this format until hipsters ironically got into it. Now everything is mass produced for stupid prices with ever lowering mastering and manufacturing quality. They did the same thing with polaroids and actual audio cassettes. VHS is coming back sadly.
Old 12-30-2020, 10:21 PM   #32
Power Member

Jul 2017
The interior of my own mind

I don't find that sad, it's rather inspiring, and comforting in the face of the "streaming is the future!" idiots.
Thanks given by:
TripleHBK (12-31-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 10:57 PM   #33
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecooldud View Post
I don't find that sad, it's rather inspiring, and comforting in the face of the "streaming is the future!" idiots.
Streaming is the future. At least with some degraded quality comes many benefits. VHS offers nothing of value in the present.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:34 PM   #34

Mar 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
Streaming is the future. At least with some degraded quality comes many benefits. VHS offers nothing of value in the present.
It's not always about value. Some people like physical shit, period. They want attachment. They want it to take something. They want to hold it. They want to look at the artwork in their hand. Call it being hipster, call it stupid, call it whatever you want. It doesn't change the fact that just clicking and streaming feels vapid for some people. No one watches a VHS under the impression that it's better than 4K streaming.
Thanks given by:
thecooldud (12-31-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 11:35 PM   #35
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

An extremely small niche at best. Stuff like throwback horror (slasher, sov, etc.) could work for the nostalgia and gritty presentation. I've mentioned it before, but adding vhs rips to blus as a bonus feature would be a fun novelty and some releases have included one.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:52 PM   #36
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2019
Albuquerque, NM

It's one freakin' store in Los Angles no less!
Old 12-31-2020, 12:59 AM   #37
Banned

Dec 2020

VHS the new vinyl.
Old 12-31-2020, 02:52 AM   #38
Special Member

Sep 2015
Texas

Ah, yes. That warm, analog look.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:24 AM   #39
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplasse1985 View Post
VHS the new vinyl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by castor View Post
Ah, yes. That warm, analog look.
Yeah, many people are buying records too. Funny that we have fancy smartphones now that can hold our whole collection of songs digitally and somehow, people want to go back to records again.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:32 AM   #40
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Yeah, many people are buying records too. Funny that we have fancy smartphones now that can hold our whole collection of songs digitally and somehow, people want to go back to records again.
Records have current day benefits of better audio along with benefits for DJs such as scratching. My point is more that VHS offers no benefit in the present. I never meant to say that collecting old VHS has no merit. Releasing new material or reissuing on VHS like they’re doing with audio cassettes makes no sense by comparison other than to be a totally hipster move.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat