Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
26 min ago
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
1 hr ago
Smile (Blu-ray)
$23.49
1 hr ago
Dead & Buried 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99
1 hr ago
Godzilla vs. Kong / Godzilla: King of the Monsters / Kong: Skull Island (Blu-ray)
$39.99
13 hrs ago
The Web (Blu-ray)
$16.59
13 hrs ago
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

Working Girls (Blu-ray)
$27.99
3 hrs ago
Do the Right Thing 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
20 hrs ago
Voyagers 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.99
13 hrs ago
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$27.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 08-05-2020, 07:31 PM   #21
Power Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
My dream job will be any job that meets the following criteria:

-Pays at least $100K salary
-Hours are 9-5, little to no overtime
-Good co-workers and managers
-4 weeks vacation with personal days. Can be taken any time during the year and not just during off-peak times. And no one should be allowed to contact me during my days off.

So far, I have yet to find something that meets all those criteria, so that's why I've hated every job I've had.
You gotta get out of public. Go corporate. I made the switch in 2018 and have not looked back. I no longer have a busy season but, of course, I stick around from January through April to make sure the audit gets completed by E&Y without any hiccups.

And for your last condition, I actually like my colleagues and bosses to the point where I check and respond to their emails even though they yell at me and tell me to stop doing that because vacation time is my time. But really, I enjoy my work/life balance so much it is a real pleasure to help out even when I am told to unplug by the controller himself.

Screw public, man. You get abused and there's zero respect or appreciation. You can do so much better elsewhere.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:52 PM   #22
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytwinkie View Post
You gotta get out of public. Go corporate. I made the switch in 2018 and have not looked back. I no longer have a busy season but, of course, I stick around from January through April to make sure the audit gets completed by E&Y without any hiccups.

And for your last condition, I actually like my colleagues and bosses to the point where I check and respond to their emails even though they yell at me and tell me to stop doing that because vacation time is my time. But really, I enjoy my work/life balance so much it is a real pleasure to help out even when I am told to unplug by the controller himself.

Screw public, man. You get abused and there's zero respect or appreciation. You can do so much better elsewhere.
I never worked public, always private. So yeah, work is still crazy despite not working in public. In fact, I think people in public get better work life balance because at least in public, when it's down time, it's REALLY down time with nothing to do. In all places I work, it's still so damn busy even during down time.

Seriously man, I'm just so sick of work. What good is my life if all I do is work with little to no fun? I'm hoping one day, I inherit a lot of money or win the lottery so I can just quit work altogether.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:55 PM   #23
Blu-ray Jedi

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

I just want out of the restaurant industry forever. Even with my perpetually annoying co-worker who I'm pretty sure got fired when indoor dining was banned again, I still hate my job. Dishwashing is irritating under the best of circumstances, during these turbulent times, it's intolerable.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:20 PM   #24
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2012

I'd like to own and run a Blu-ray label. All I do is think about movies so what better way to spend my time and get paid for it? I'd do it a lot differently than how it's done now, though. For instance, I would create pricing tiers for my titles. I'm a packaging guy so I love collectible packaging like slipcovers, steelbooks, etc., but I understand that not everyone is into it so I would sell someone a movie-only edition for, say, $12. For those that appreciate swag, a Collector's Edition would run you about $25-30. There's no reason to rip people off by charging them $40-50 for single movies like Synapse does.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:37 PM   #25
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2008
Ex-Pat of The Diamond Capital of North Americaô

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman1980 View Post
I just want out of the restaurant industry forever. Even with my perpetually annoying co-worker who I'm pretty sure got fired when indoor dining was banned again, I still hate my job. Dishwashing is irritating under the best of circumstances, during these turbulent times, it's intolerable.
I dishwashed when I was a teenager and hated it. I didnít last very long.

Good on you for doing whatever it takes to stay working.
Youíve got work ethic and Iíd hire you in a second for almost anything.
Thanks given by:
Batman1980 (08-05-2020), beefytwinkie (08-06-2020), ctujackbauer (08-05-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 12:36 AM   #26
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post

I'm pretty sure dishwashing is better than my job. Heck I think ANY job is better than my job. On the "Do you like working?" thread, I even expressed interest in becoming a doorman. That's how bad I think my line of work is...
Old 08-06-2020, 02:12 AM   #27
Power Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
I never worked public, always private. So yeah, work is still crazy despite not working in public. In fact, I think people in public get better work life balance because at least in public, when it's down time, it's REALLY down time with nothing to do. In all places I work, it's still so damn busy even during down time.

Seriously man, I'm just so sick of work. What good is my life if all I do is work with little to no fun? I'm hoping one day, I inherit a lot of money or win the lottery so I can just quit work altogether.
Sorry about that. You described your job a couple of times and I thought you worked in public due to your schedule. In what industry do you work?

If I had the means, I'd stop working, too. I gotta get out of NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post

Agreed 100%. Restaurants are definitely one of the places where the people who make things happen are not nearly appreciated enough.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 06:25 AM   #28
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

I was thinking of maybe quitting my job and getting a job at Dollar Tree...
Old 10-04-2020, 02:09 PM   #29

Aug 2020

I always wanted to be an actor.I was really inspired by the movies i watched as kid, so i thought why couldn't i do the same.There was time when i was mimicing other actors,tried to wear the same or look alike costumes and i made people laugh.That was even more inspirational move for me.Of course, if it couldn't work out i had a plan B which was writing my own movies, just something that would've kept me near actors.But then later...when i saw what actors are needed to do just to succeed...i guess i changed my opinion for real.Now,i have no job and i would like it to stay that way but how am i going to survive without one even if its not a dream job??
Old 10-18-2020, 02:52 PM   #30
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk33tr View Post
my dream job is retirement...i HATE working. although, if i could own my own business i probably wouldn't mind that. but i have no idea what kind of business i'd want to own, lol.
Iím only 35 and already canít wait until I retire. Itís not that I dislike working so much, but itís just too damn stressful and takes up too much of my time that I have little to no free time. I donít even have a wife and kids to worry about and Iím already stressed out to no end all because of work. Iím hoping one day that I either win or inherit a lot of money so I donít ever have to work again.
Thanks given by:
Infrared Sight (10-19-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 10:02 PM   #31

Oct 2020
Germany

I'm pretty happy with my job; I'm a programmer, more specific Web-Developer.
While I wouldn't go as far and say it's a dream, it ...:
- was/is my hobby, because of that also time flies usually
- I have flextime, which honestly is not only practical but also important for me, as I wouldn't last long in a company that requires always being on time
- one usually doesn't have problems finding a job

Now improvements to my current situation would be a nicer team environment and higher payment (company doesn't pay too well, although I'm generally doing good compared to some other jobs). The team situation was pretty good for the first years, but things change and some nice team members left and about a year ago we got one new colleague that is hard to deal with, since then the team generally feels different..

But both is fixable by changing the company, and I intent to do so in the near future.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (10-21-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 01:28 AM   #32
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Deep inside your fever-dream.

I'm living it. I'm financially on the hook to no one, and fully retired in my 50's. Working only for myself after properly investing a lot of money and time and sweat into my own successes, all based on things I'm genuinely passionate about; some of it I've enjoyed as a child, all the way up to the present. I buy low and sell high; comics, vintage toys, electric guitars, ummmwhattyagot ?

If it's cool, I probably have (or had) something downstairs related to it in some way.
Thanks given by:
Monterey Jack (10-22-2020), Scarriere (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 06:19 AM   #33
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada

I say that if you're not working your dream job then you need to find a new job. Having said that, you have to be reasonable. You can't control who your co-workers are. What you can do is figure out how to work with them. I've worked with many different kinds of people through the years and some are great and others....AREN'T. You just have to figure it out.

In addition to that, you have to learn how to leave work at work. Sometimes it ends up creeping in once and a while but it shouldn't be there all the time. I have a work email account and I may choose to check it while I'm off but I never respond to anything while I'm at home. I save that for when I'm getting paid. When you have a bad day you have to learn how to let it go. It's not always easy but it is always necessary.

Bottom line to me is if you don't like your job, you need to get a new one. It may not be your "dream" job, but you shouldn't be miserable every day heading in to work.
Thanks given by:
Dennis98 (10-22-2020), Scarriere (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 02:29 PM   #34
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman Horton View Post
In addition to that, you have to learn how to leave work at work. Sometimes it ends up creeping in once and a while but it shouldn't be there all the time. I have a work email account and I may choose to check it while I'm off but I never respond to anything while I'm at home. I save that for when I'm getting paid. When you have a bad day you have to learn how to let it go. It's not always easy but it is always necessary.
Um, that's not as easy as you think. At my job, we are doing work for a big client that pays our company a lot of money. And that client never sleeps. So if the client sends an email at 11pm and has an urgent request and we don't respond, we're dead! It's not because we didn't check our email at 11pm; but it because we pissed off a big client and if we lose that client, our company is screwed!

And also at my previous job, they gave us a free smartphone and paid monthly for the service. If we didn't check our emails 24/7, we'd be in trouble because the company is paying for the phone and they're not paying for it out of the goodness of their heart.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:18 PM   #35
Power Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Um, that's not as easy as you think. At my job, we are doing work for a big client that pays our company a lot of money. And that client never sleeps. So if the client sends an email at 11pm and has an urgent request and we don't respond, we're dead! It's not because we didn't check our email at 11pm; but it because we pissed off a big client and if we lose that client, our company is screwed!

And also at my previous job, they gave us a free smartphone and paid monthly for the service. If we didn't check our emails 24/7, we'd be in trouble because the company is paying for the phone and they're not paying for it out of the goodness of their heart.
Yea, I've been there and I know how that feels. Although, I have to ask how often your client actually sends you guys requests at 11pm. Are you in advisory? When I was in forensics we might get a request late at night but it's never at the point where they would randomly contact us and if we didn't do something immediately we would have to have an explanation as to why we didn't wake up and check our emails every hour. During an engagement, sure we would have to respond to requests as long as we were working but the way you describe it, your job is f*ed up. I don't know how you put up with it.

I did an audit for a hedge fund up in Stamford, CT and the owner gave everyone a smartphone and paid for it. They were expected to respond at all hours (even on vacation). If they didn't, he fired them. He did pay them extremely well, though. The most incompetent fund accountant working for him was paid 350 a year. And when I say incompetent, I mean this guy was metaphorically retarded.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:33 PM   #36
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefytwinkie View Post
Yea, I've been there and I know how that feels. Although, I have to ask how often your client actually sends you guys requests at 11pm. Are you in advisory? When I was in forensics we might get a request late at night but it's never at the point where they would randomly contact us and if we didn't do something immediately we would have to have an explanation as to why we didn't wake up and check our emails every hour. During an engagement, sure we would have to respond to requests as long as we were working but the way you describe it, your job is f*ed up. I don't know how you put up with it.
It is quite often it happens. Yes, it's f*ed up and the client technically has no right to do what they are doing because it's after hours. But you know how it is... you piss off a big client, upper management gets upset and goes after my manager. It all goes down the chain of commands. So client is angry and all chain of commands get angry. That's the price you pay when you have a big client that pays us hefty fees.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:15 PM   #37

Oct 2020
Germany

Quote:

We actually get a free (good) phone from the company too but by no means do we need to be available outside of our working hours. But we are also not working for clients, we work on our products/website, so bascially we are our own client.
Also, the MacBook every developer gets for work we can also take home. It's kinda like a private MacBook, I also take it with me on some vacations.^^

It depends on the company, but because of that you're of course right that this may not always be possible the way Hitman Horton described it. But those are reasonable points that one should take into consideration.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:38 PM   #38
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada

Quote:

First off, if your client doesn't sleep he's got a serious drug problem. Second, it is easy. You start looking for another job. Sure it may take some time but it's an option..
Old 10-22-2020, 06:04 PM   #39
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman Horton View Post
First off, if your client doesn't sleep he's got a serious drug problem. Second, it is easy. You start looking for another job. Sure it may take some time but it's an option..
This is my third job and all have had their issues. I give up trying to find the perfect job...
Old 10-22-2020, 06:44 PM   #40
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
This is my third job and all have had their issues. I give up trying to find the perfect job...
I mean no disrespect when I say this but if this is your third job and you're still not happy, maybe it's not the job that's the problem. It's possible you're being unrealistic in setting your expectations. No job is going to be perfect. They all have good days and bad days.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (10-22-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat