Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
29 min ago
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
1 hr ago
Smile (Blu-ray)
$23.49
1 hr ago
Dead & Buried 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99
1 hr ago
Godzilla vs. Kong / Godzilla: King of the Monsters / Kong: Skull Island (Blu-ray)
$39.99
13 hrs ago
The Web (Blu-ray)
$16.59
13 hrs ago
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

Working Girls (Blu-ray)
$27.99
3 hrs ago
Do the Right Thing 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
20 hrs ago
Voyagers 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.99
13 hrs ago
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$27.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 10-03-2020, 12:22 PM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryAtNight View Post
My dad taught me how to play chess. Unfortunately, I havenít played it in years. I have an electronic chess board that I got from JCPenney.
It has a difficulty setting of up to 100. I played it on level 2 and got my butt whooped and never played it again.
If you enjoyed playing chess, I'd keep at it. It would be a shame to stop particularly after your dad taught you. I haven't played for quite a long time either, so it would probably take me several games to get back into it. Sometimes the problem can simply be finding somebody else who can play as well - I've never played on an electronic set, but I would much rather be facing an opponent using a traditional chess board.
Thanks given by:
jdw89 (10-04-2020), Lacit170 (10-05-2020), VictoryAtNight (10-11-2020)
Old 10-04-2020, 05:43 PM   #22
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2011
Behind the wheel of my Civic [DX]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV19 View Post
If you enjoyed playing chess, I'd keep at it. It would be a shame to stop particularly after your dad taught you. I haven't played for quite a long time either, so it would probably take me several games to get back into it. Sometimes the problem can simply be finding somebody else who can play as well - I've never played on an electronic set, but I would much rather be facing an opponent using a traditional chess board.
The last time I played chess against someone was more than 16 years ago. It was a co-workerís son and he was relatively new to the game, so I did not have any difficulty in winning my matches.

What I should have done was join the chess club in high school to acquire more knowledge.

I will look for my chess set when I have time.
Thanks given by:
CV19 (10-04-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 06:59 PM   #23
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleHBK View Post
I've always really enjoyed Chess. I prefer to play in person when feasible but I've dabbled with a few online free apps as well. I've seen some really elaborate sets but one of my personal favorites was a simple glass set that I picked up for my Dad in 2004 or so from KB Toys. It's a simple frosted Glass/clear glass board and pieces and looks nice though isn't stupidly expensive. I've unfortunately never found a duplicate set since KB Toys went out of business in 2007 despite searching Toys R Us and a few other retailers.

Similar to this though not exactly...

That looks very similar to the chess set that Eric and Charles were using to play at the end of original X-men movie (if not the very same one). It looks very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
I played chess for the first time almost 20 years ago, when I was in my early 20s. I was with my ex visiting her mother for a couple of weeks, she had a chess set... We were looking for something to do one night, so my ex taught me how to play. I really got into it for a little while, I bought a little frosted glass set just like the one that member TripleHBK posted up the page a bit. I taught my younger brother how to play, he really got into it too. A couple of years after learning to play, I walked past a game shop, and noticed a larger set in their display window, which I really liked, so I bought it. I gave the glass one to my brother. Unfortunately it's been collecting dust for about a decade, I haven't used it in ages... It currently sits on the tallboy in my bedroom as a bit of a decor piece:

Attachment 246758
That one looks really cool. I would buy a nice looking Chess set if I had someone to play with.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:49 AM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Deep inside your fever-dream.

I know how the pieces move, and I've played many times, but I've very seldom won a game. I just have a hard time grasping some games that require plans and plays, and I really have a hard time with thinking "X" number of moves ahead.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:37 PM   #25
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

I forgot how to do the Roy Lopez.
Old 12-15-2020, 04:50 PM   #26
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2017
England

As Christmas is fast approaching, anyone here who may have a wealthy relative with a few million dollars going spare, you could always ask them for this Pearl Royale chess set with a purchase price of $4 million.

Unfortunately, I don't know anybody with that kind of money.

https://en.chessbase.com/post/the-wo...e-pearl-royale

Old 01-15-2021, 02:24 PM   #27

Sep 2012
Watford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
I forgot how to do the Roy Lopez.
e4 e5
Nf3 Nc6
Bb5 a6

and variations after that. I reached master level which is British Chess Federation 180 but never really liked studying opening theory and all the various volumes from Batsford. Played against Michael Adams, Harriet Hunt and the like on county boards.

Droidfish is an excellent app for your phone. Based on the extremely powerful Stockfish program or you can opt for Chess Shredder.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_GB&gl=US

Chess of course has featured prominently in many films as an allegory of struggles between nations, philosophies and individuals.

Think Like A Grandmaster is a seminal work in chess literature and even if you are not of a very high level is of general application in decision making in life. The Tree of Analysis as it termed in the book.
Thanks given by:
Wingman1977 (04-10-2021)
Old 01-15-2021, 02:26 PM   #28

Sep 2012
Watford

Quote:
Originally Posted by CV19 View Post
As Christmas is fast approaching, anyone here who may have a wealthy relative with a few million dollars going spare, you could always ask them for this Pearl Royale chess set with a purchase price of $4 million.

Unfortunately, I don't know anybody with that kind of money.

Someone with more money than sense. Some plutocratic oligarch possibly. That said chess sets have been works of art with the Isle of Lewis set onwards, the Lewis chessmen.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat