Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99
1 day ago
Dragonheart: 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Godzilla vs. Kong (Blu-ray)
$34.99
13 hrs ago
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49

Saving Silverman (Blu-ray)
$13.29

The Father (Blu-ray)
$21.99

Dead & Buried 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99

Nobody 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99

Wonder Woman 1984 4K / Wonder Woman 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.99
3 hrs ago
Eye of the Tiger (Blu-ray)
$19.99
13 hrs ago
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 01-21-2009, 05:28 PM   #41

Nov 2008
Orlando, FL

Curious - Universal is the only company that I have noticed using a generic template on all of their movies. Are other companies doing it? I have a fair amount of Bluray but Universal is the first one I really noticed using this method.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:33 PM   #42
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008

kinda related: I found the menu for Mad Men to be the coolest one I have encountered on BD so far
Old 01-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #43
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teabaggins View Post
kinda related: I found the menu for Mad Men to be the coolest one I have encountered on BD so far
suhweet good to hear!! i'm thinking of picking this up soon....hopefully it will be included again in the next amazon B2G1
Old 01-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #44
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
North Jersey

put up a poll!!..lol.. I like them. It doesn't bother me at all.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:51 PM   #45

Dec 2008
Ohio.
Send a message via AIM to DAROCKNESSMONSTER

universal menus are like that of dvd's when they were first being released.
they were all just boring.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #46
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

I like them actually.I like how they are layout and simple to use also most of the titles have the same design..which is a plus in my book.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #47
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2008

i like a well designed and creative menu just as much as the next guy, but it's something you look at for like 5 seconds. if a menu's included, if nothing else i want it to be easy to navigate because that's the ultimate function. if it isn't included, oh well.

Last edited by Sussudio; 01-21-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:36 PM   #48

Nov 2008
Orlando, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sussudio View Post
in all honesty i hope no one buys a movie just for the menu (or that menu's are even a factor in the buying process to begin with). it's something you look at for like 5 seconds. if a menu's included, i just want it to be easy to navigate because that's the ultimate function. if it isn't included, sucks but oh well.
I don't think anyone is suggesting that. Personally, I think of a good menu like a well designed movie poster or jacket art. I wouldn't think of keeping a movie out of my collection because I don't like the cover. Some of my favorite purchases of late are Universal films. The Thing looked amazing. Serenity sounded ridiculous! I'm having a King Kong party at my place next week.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:43 PM   #49
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberbot View Post
I don't think anyone is suggesting that. Personally, I think of a good menu like a well designed movie poster or jacket art. I wouldn't think of keeping a movie out of my collection because I don't like the cover. Some of my favorite purchases of late are Universal films. The Thing looked amazing. Serenity sounded ridiculous! I'm having a King Kong party at my place next week.
yeah i know, that was kind of a dumb thing to say and i edited it out of my post because of that

king kong party eh? i'm in
Old 01-21-2009, 08:54 PM   #50

Nov 2008
Orlando, FL

Quote:
yeah i know, that was kind of a dumb thing to say and i edited it out of my post because of that

king kong party eh? i'm in
No dumber than an entire thread about Universal menu design.

Banana smoothies for everyone! The King Kong party will be the talk of the town! Actually, I have a few friends that have never seen it! That was one of those movies that was backed by some bad word of mouth. I just saw it recently and expected to be disappointed but walked away very impressed.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:17 PM   #51
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
Dry County

you want your guests to pukie don't you? bananas?!
Old 01-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #52
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighthefutureofhd View Post
i love the menus for universal. they're some of the best. fox has the best, but univeral's are second best to me. i hate warner's menus cause they're so bland and so droll looking. nothing going on. universal's is sharp, consistent, and clear. what a blu-ray menu should be.
I think you might be confused about the definition of "droll," since you're kind of contradicting yourself there.

Anyway, I think that menu looks great for some movies (like The Kingdom) but not so much for others. As a functional menu, though, it's pretty nice, but yeah. I wish they would customize it at least a little bit for each release.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #53
Banned

Oct 2006
Kentwood, Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to GGX

Universal used that same menu design for all of their HD DVD releases as well. Some of their HD DVD releases had an even more generic menu. I know the Deer Hunter just had the Universal logo displayed in the background of the main menu. With generic elevator music that wasn't even featured in the film itself.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #54

Aug 2007
The Negative Zone

Quote:
i dont think there were too many. the OP was supporting his point using a few examples, and ive seen so many more threads where people post several incredibly large images and it's impossible to see the entire thing without scrolling. now that gets annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberbot View Post
Are you suggesting three jpgs at under 50k each are too many images in a post? If you are, I would say that it should be helpful to post samples for those who haven't noticed or picked up Universal discs.
Actually, I was just being funny. Though I do think one picture would have gotten the point across. At least everyone who responded to the original post had the good sense to remove the images from them...now that actually does bother me when you have to scroll through multiple posts with the same images.

To me, the nice thing about the Universal menus is that they are easy to navigate and use. You don't have to fight through a screen-full of crap unlike the typical Warner pop-up failure of a menu and the options are clearly labeled without "clever" themed names (and for this I'm thinking about the negative reactions to Cars' menu system).
Old 01-22-2009, 02:02 AM   #55
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

I honestly didn't feel like reading all 3 pages, so I'll just give my opinion on the original question... No, I don't have a problem with their menus nor them all looking the same. I like the look of them, although I find the language selection to be rather pointless. To each their own though.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:20 AM   #56
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by killowertz View Post
I honestly didn't feel like reading all 3 pages, so I'll just give my opinion on the original question... No, I don't have a problem with their menus nor them all looking the same. I like the look of them, although I find the language selection to be rather pointless. To each their own though.
why? a lot of people probably watch the movie in something other than english and/or require subtitles
Old 01-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #57
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Mobile, AL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyworld85 View Post
Then where is the uniqueness of each film?

In the film.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:01 PM   #58

Jan 2009
White Lake, MI
Send a message via AIM to John Dorian

I think it's a lot nicer. I'm a fan of consistency and organization. :P
Old 01-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #59
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2007
Arlington, Texas PSNetwork: dk3dknight PostCount: 0001
Send a message via MSN to dk3dknight Send a message via Yahoo to dk3dknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluray_ne1 View Post
I rather like them. Easy, efficient, clean and consistent.
I agree Clean, Efficient and no bs...
Old 01-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #60

Nov 2008
Orlando, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dorian View Post
I think it's a lot nicer. I'm a fan of consistency and organization. :P
I think that helps sum up the difference here. There really is no right or wrong. Again, some of you might prefer, for example, to have Blu-ray cases that all look the same save the title of the film. If I might over analyze, this is a right brain left brain issue.

Right - Creative and appeals to symbols and images
Left - Detail oriented preferring the practical
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat