Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Noir Archive - Volume 1: 1944-1954 (Blu-ray)
$36.68

Khrustalyov, My Car! (Blu-ray)
$33.03
15 hrs ago
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$69.99

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Halloween III: Season of the Witch (Blu-ray)
$20.99
16 hrs ago
The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Ralph Breaks the Internet (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Ex Machina 4K (Blu-ray)
$10.00
6 hrs ago
Crazy Rich Asians (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Smallfoot (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Predator (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs

Old 12-18-2018, 05:03 PM   #61
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

for the X700, if you do not change the settings, it will upconvert everything put in the player to DV. it has been found that it makes some discs look very bad. by changing the settings, it will only play DV disc as such, HDR only discs as such and 1080p blu ray as such.

mind you, folks can if they choose leave it and have everything upconverted to DV if it looks good to them.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:54 AM   #62

Aug 2014

currently looking at the 55" 6 series model does anyone know if all 3 hdmi ports support HDR/HDMI UHD Color? or is it only on port 1 like most samsungs?
Old 12-19-2018, 01:17 PM   #63

Jun 2015
Queens, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
for the X700, if you do not change the settings, it will upconvert everything put in the player to DV. it has been found that it makes some discs look very bad. by changing the settings, it will only play DV disc as such, HDR only discs as such and 1080p blu ray as such.

mind you, folks can if they choose leave it and have everything upconverted to DV if it looks good to them.
Correct, with the DV ON an unsupported disc won't look right. I leave the DV OFF unless the disc supports it, HDR on AUTO and 4K conversion on AUTO 1.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:16 PM   #64

Apr 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork Chris View Post
Correct, with the DV ON an unsupported disc won't look right. I leave the DV OFF unless the disc supports it, HDR on AUTO and 4K conversion on AUTO 1.
Surely you would have 4k conversion set to off rather than auto 1 or auto 2 a a tv will be better at upscaling than a player will?
Old 12-19-2018, 09:18 PM   #65
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2005 View Post
currently looking at the 55" 6 series model does anyone know if all 3 hdmi ports support HDR/HDMI UHD Color? or is it only on port 1 like most samsungs?
HDMI inputs are not designated specifically for HDR...HDR, HDR10 and Dolby Vision (if applicable) is build internally in the TV circuitry. The HDMI inputs can be used for any external video equipment with a compatible HDMI connection.

Last edited by slimdude; 12-20-2018 at 04:38 AM.
Thanks given by:
samrt (12-22-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 12:46 AM   #66

Jun 2015
Queens, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspence01 View Post
Surely you would have 4k conversion set to off rather than auto 1 or auto 2 a a tv will be better at upscaling than a player will?
That is a point I have certainly considered but not tested yet. Anyone have experience with the TCL 6 Series 4K conversion VS the Sony X700?

UPDATE: I compared the upscaling of both and could not detect any glaring or even noticeable difference, but if I had to choose one which I did I think the Sony does a better job of upscaling to 4K so I left it on.

Last edited by Clockwork Chris; 12-20-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:23 PM   #67

Feb 2013
Somerville, MA

About the "panel lottery" with the TCL Series 6. Is that limited to one specific size tv or does it affect all different sizes. I thought I read some place that it specifically affects the 65". Was looking to get a 55".

I'm waffling between this the the Vizio P series(though a friend of mine was scaring me off it based on his experience with having to replace his Vizio P twice and switching to a whole new tv altogether).
Old 12-22-2018, 11:33 PM   #68
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

two terms I am not fond of in these threads, "Panel Lottery" and "Waffling"

like anything else, you will either get a good one, a not so good one or a bad one. true of any brand of anything. you won't know until you get it home and use it.

best of luck to you.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:04 AM   #69
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonFilmFan View Post
I'm waffling between this the the Vizio P series(though a friend of mine was scaring me off it based on his experience with having to replace his Vizio P twice and switching to a whole new tv altogether).
I just got a 65" P series, although I've never seen the TCL 6 series in person, I do have a 5 series I can compare my thoughts (keep that in mind).

Overall the PQ of my Vizio is great. But I get a weird intermittent horizontal white line (like static) flash from time to time. It's very subtle, and most would probably never notice. But it's like knowing you have a dead pixel, and subcontiously you notice it everytime. My wife doesn't notice it, but I pick it up. I have found others on the internet with same issue. It doesn't bother me enough to return it. So pick your poison with problems that can plague most all manufacturers, panel lottery.

With that said, my TCL 5 series PQ is nice as well. Not as good as the Vizio, but negligible. So I would think the 6 series would be better.

My biggest pro/con is the UI of the Vizio is close to terrible. Very laggy and slow. Not very intuitive. On the other hand, the TCL roku is awesome. Huge plus!

So in the end, if I could do over I think I'd take my chances on the TCL 6 series. The 55" is $500 at best buy.

What problems did your friend have with his Vizio?

Last edited by crackinhedz; 12-23-2018 at 01:09 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:43 AM   #70
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackinhedz View Post
IOverall the PQ of my Vizio is great. But I get a weird intermittent horizontal white line (like static) flash from time to time. It's very subtle, and most would probably never notice. But it's like knowing you have a dead pixel, and subcontiously you notice it everytime. My wife doesn't notice it, but I pick it up. I have found others on the internet with same issue. It doesn't bother me enough to return it. So pick your poison with problems that can plague most all manufacturers, panel lottery.?
If your TV have a defect, you should return ASAP, that's if the TV is still within the return/exchange window period, because the defect may gradually get worse. Even though you have the one year manufacturer warranty, so why procrastinate and wait until the last minute. I would've took that TV back so fast, it would made their head spin. When you buy a brand new TV, nothing shouldn't be wrong with it! How long have you had it?

Last edited by slimdude; 12-23-2018 at 03:52 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:40 PM   #71
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

I have until end of January to return. I actually did an online chat with Vizio support today (can't believe they were actually there on a Sunday)...anyway, did a couple trouble shooting steps with power cycling the TV etc. There was a recent firmware update, and am hoping the power cycle had an effect.

Fingers crossed, so far so good.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:58 PM   #72
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2016
oHIo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwnut13 View Post
The third time was the charm for the 43s515 for me. The first one had some backlight issues, and the second had debris under the screen.

When it's all said and done I paid $204.99 total for the TV, so I'm happy.
Any issues with the third one? Highly considering this TV..
Old 12-27-2018, 09:14 PM   #73
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizCat View Post
Any issues with the third one? Highly considering this TV..
I have had zero problems with mine. Great TV for the price.
Thanks given by:
BizCat (12-27-2018)
Old 01-01-2019, 09:25 PM   #74
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Plateau of Leng

I bought a TCL 17 months ago and it already crapped out on me. It always had a light bloom which I could live with for the price, and the remote consumer batteries like nothing else but it finally stopped loading the home screen through multiple resets and unplugs. The customer service is no help at all and keeps hammering you for when you bought it so they can say its out of warranty. Fixing it would cost almost as much as a new tv and you get no assurance it wont happen again because it's their OS that screws up. I would highly suggest anyone looking for a budget tv to look elsewhere.

(Unless of course you live in Australia where they have a 3 year warranty for some reason)

55P607 55-Inch btw.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:50 PM   #75
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeperAgent View Post
I bought a TCL 17 months ago and it already crapped out on me. It always had a light bloom which I could live with for the price, and the remote consumer batteries like nothing else but it finally stopped loading the home screen through multiple resets and unplugs. The customer service is no help at all and keeps hammering you for when you bought it so they can say its out of warranty. Fixing it would cost almost as much as a new tv and you get no assurance it wont happen again because it's their OS that screws up. I would highly suggest anyone looking for a budget tv to look elsewhere.

(Unless of course you live in Australia where they have a 3 year warranty for some reason)

55P607 55-Inch btw.
sorry to hear that you had those issues with your TCL and respect your desire to move on.

having said that, as you represent one out of many, many thousands of these TV's that have been sold. I don't think there is a brand of anything that exist that hasn't had failures. and many people who hate them after said failures.

I am sorry you have had this issue and have had "problems" with TCL CS. also, if it happened after the warranty expired that I know is insult to injury. this is also where despite the fact that many people think it's a waste of money, to me, it's a good idea to get an extended warranty. for me, this tv was so cheap (dollar wise) that I was still able to add an extended warranty into the cost and it was still an amazing value. it gives me piece of mind once my item is out of the manufacturers warranty period that in case something goes wrong, I'm still covered.

I can still say, that over, it's still a good tv and relatively dependable. I do from time to time read about people who's TV's crap out on them, but, I won't condem the brand for a tv, even if it was mine.

hell, I had a brand new Sony, top of the line, 2 weeks after I got it, the damn thing failed. this was back in the CRT days so, think weight! my point is, sometimes, shit does happen. but, I got another sony and it worked perfectly I had to go through sony, this was back in the days when you had like a week or less to take it back to the store.

I am not against you, so, please don't think that I am. I am standing up to say, TCL is a good brand overall not just for the money, but, a good brand in it's own right.

having said all that, best of luck with whatever brand tv you decide to go with.
Thanks given by:
FreddyC (01-11-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 10:41 PM   #76
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Plateau of Leng

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
sorry to hear that you had those issues with your TCL and respect your desire to move on.

having said that, as you represent one out of many, many thousands of these TV's that have been sold. I don't think there is a brand of anything that exist that hasn't had failures. and many people who hate them after said failures.

I am sorry you have had this issue and have had "problems" with TCL CS. also, if it happened after the warranty expired that I know is insult to injury. this is also where despite the fact that many people think it's a waste of money, to me, it's a good idea to get an extended warranty. for me, this tv was so cheap (dollar wise) that I was still able to add an extended warranty into the cost and it was still an amazing value. it gives me piece of mind once my item is out of the manufacturers warranty period that in case something goes wrong, I'm still covered.

I can still say, that over, it's still a good tv and relatively dependable. I do from time to time read about people who's TV's crap out on them, but, I won't condem the brand for a tv, even if it was mine.

hell, I had a brand new Sony, top of the line, 2 weeks after I got it, the damn thing failed. this was back in the CRT days so, think weight! my point is, sometimes, shit does happen. but, I got another sony and it worked perfectly I had to go through sony, this was back in the days when you had like a week or less to take it back to the store.

I am not against you, so, please don't think that I am. I am standing up to say, TCL is a good brand overall not just for the money, but, a good brand in it's own right.

having said all that, best of luck with whatever brand tv you decide to go with.
I can understand having your tv continue doing well makes you want to defend it. I just feel the need to throw my opinion in there as well. They got me in the beginning with the "up and coming tv brand" media and I fell for it. If the tv had lasted a few years I wouldnt be mad, but just 5 months out of warranty leaves a bad taste. It was just extra salty for me since apparently another country has a 3 year warranty which would have covered my tv.

I am moving on to vizio as bestbuy just had a sale on their new-ish 50" for $300 and ebay had a coupon of 15% off so I got it for $260. I know its another cheapo brand but Im not in a position to buy this generations Kuro Elite. (Which if Kuro came back I would definitely buy) But once the market settles in this gen I will be buying a much better tv and a very long warranty.

EDIT: To kinda add on original post, if you intend to buy a tv these days, buy one and budget in a long warranty.

Last edited by SleeperAgent; 01-01-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:49 PM   #77
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
I can understand having your tv continue doing well makes you want to defend it. I just feel the need to throw my opinion in there as well. They got me in the beginning with the "up and coming tv brand" media and I fell for it. If the tv had lasted a few years I wouldnt be mad, but just 5 months out of warranty leaves a bad taste. It was just extra salty for me since apparently another country has a 3 year warranty which would have covered my tv.

I am moving on to vizio as bestbuy just had a sale on their new-ish 50" for $300 and ebay had a coupon of 15% off so I got it for $260. I know its another cheapo brand but Im not in a position to buy this generations Kuro Elite. (Which if Kuro came back I would definitely buy) But once the market settles in this gen I will be buying a much better tv and a very long warranty.
oh as I mentioned, I do understand your side of it. I can't speak or be concerned about what they do in Queensland, because I'm not a resident there. I'm sure that 3 year thing isn't free either, I'm sure taxes or cost of item pays for it.

I have had things that have gone bad right away and once or twice after warranty expiration, so, I do understand. even those things, if the item was overall good, I repurchased or got it fixed under warranty.

I try to give everything a second chance, even a bad date if it wasn't too bad!

again, best of luck with your choice and I hope the Vizio is good to you!
Old 01-01-2019, 10:53 PM   #78
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:

EDIT: To kinda add on original post, if you intend to buy a tv these days, buy one and budget in a long warranty.
My Man!
Old 01-11-2019, 01:53 AM   #79
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia
Default 2019 CES Presentation!

TCL 8 Series 8K TV's premiered at this years CES.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:37 AM   #80
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Terraforming planet Wabo

Thanks given by:
solarrdadd (01-12-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs