Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Noir Archive - Volume 1: 1944-1954 (Blu-ray)
$36.68

Khrustalyov, My Car! (Blu-ray)
$33.03
10 hrs ago
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$69.99

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Halloween III: Season of the Witch (Blu-ray)
$20.99
11 hrs ago
Ralph Breaks the Internet (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Crazy Rich Asians (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Predator (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Sorry to Bother You (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Robin Hood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 01-10-2019, 07:11 PM   #12941
Special Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Well as long as they keep the Sony Ultra app going.
Can the Sony Ultra app access Amazon, Vudu, etc.? My take was Sony is getting out of the UV/MA streaming business.

Quote:
Sony Pictures Store will be shutting down its website and discontinuing all related operations in the U.S. effective January 31, 2019
IF Crackle is loosing money for Sony then I wager it will be next. It appears at&t (Warner) wants to dump their interest in Hulu.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:13 PM   #12942
Banned

Apr 2014
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Can the Sony Ultra app access Amazon, Vudu, etc.? My take was Sony is getting out of the UV/MA streaming business.

IF Crackle is loosing money for Sony then I wager it will be next. It appears at&t (Warner) wants to dump their interest in Hulu.
I dumped my interest in Hulu
Old 01-10-2019, 07:32 PM   #12943
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Hulu was by far the buggiest streaming service I ever tried. Their tech support did nothing but blame my ISP and my network despite the fact that every other streaming service I had worked fine. Even Amazon Prime streaming wasn't as bad as Hulu.

Netflix, Vudu, and Youtube all work really well and are very stable providing that my ISP is cooperating. Other people I know have had similar problems with Hulu and received the same "the problems on your end" boilerplate response. I, and they, found that the best solution was to dump them.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:59 PM   #12944
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
AFAIK the Ultra App is only for Sony TVs and is just for their content.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:40 PM   #12945
Special Member

Nov 2010
Houston, Texas
-
-
-

Quote:
Sony digital is not disappearing. Their app will still exist, they are just taking away their redeem service (in favor of your redeeming either in Vudu or in MA). Sony's streaming app will continue to exist (Sony's Ultra App).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Hulu was by far the buggiest streaming service I ever tried. Their tech support did nothing but blame my ISP and my network despite the fact that every other streaming service I had worked fine. Even Amazon Prime streaming wasn't as bad as Hulu.

Netflix, Vudu, and Youtube all work really well and are very stable providing that my ISP is cooperating. Other people I know have had similar problems with Hulu and received the same "the problems on your end" boilerplate response. I, and they, found that the best solution was to dump them.
I tried Target Ticket a couple of times, (Target's Streaming service, which is now long gone) and that was really bad.

Last edited by Dustin44; 01-10-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:44 PM   #12946
Special Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
AFAIK the Ultra App is only for Sony TVs and is just for their content.
What is your take on the popup message at the Sony site?

Quote:
Sony Pictures Store will be shutting down its website and discontinuing all related operations in the U.S. effective January 31, 2019.The good news is that by taking the actions below you will be able to:
  • Watch the movies and TV shows in your library through Vudu
  • Redeem your digital codes through Vudu and/or Movies Anywhere
  • Watch the movies in your library on Movies Anywhere!
Says to me they are getting completely out of the streaming business except for Crackle.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:19 PM   #12947
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
I read this in the Movies Anywhere thread posted today:

" Anyone else having issues with MA? my complete library in MA is gone."

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...postcount=8434

Others reported the same, but the good news, for some of them, is that their collections just took a little vacation and have now decided to reappear. Others are still reporting problems.

Disappearances of an entire collection, short term or not, is NOT something I would tolerate well and it certainly does nothing to instill confidence in "owning" digital copies. I don't want a collection that I have to police and make sure is still there, in whole or in part. Not my idea of fun.
Blimey, that would be film night down the plug lol. So glad I have discs.
Thanks given by:
dublinbluray108 (01-12-2019), Vilya (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 10:24 PM   #12948
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:

[/LIST]Says to me they are getting completely out of the streaming business except for Crackle.

It means they are shutting down that particular website. The Sony Ultra app will still be available, and I assume they will continue to sell their movies on the service, as well as play movie UHD codes you have (of course). I'll check early next month to verify...

Quote:
If you are an Ultra user, there will be no changes to your account at this time. You can continue using the Ultra App as you do today.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:50 PM   #12949
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

I don't own a Sony TV, so the Ultra app is of no matter to me, but that phrasing from Sony is a little less than convincing.

"If you are an Ultra user, there will be no changes to your account at this time."

Sure sounds like they are leaving the door wide open to make "changes" later.

This announcement did let me choose a free digital movie from a whopping list of 6 titles that I never would have bought anyway. I got a free movie that I have almost no interest in watching; thanks oh so much Sony. Choosing from a six film list was SO generous.

Last edited by Vilya; 01-10-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:00 PM   #12950
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
I don't own a Sony TV, so the Ultra app is of no matter to me, but that phrasing from Sony is a little less than convincing.

"If you are an Ultra user, there will be no changes to your account at this time."

I think they will just concentrate on their highly successful gaming section.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:06 PM   #12951
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I think they will just concentrate on their highly successful gaming section.
I think I sense another thinly veiled plug for their VR gaming here.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 11:07 PM   #12952
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
I think I sense another thinly veiled plug for their VR gaming here.
No sir.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (01-10-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 01:56 AM   #12953
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Quote:

[/LIST]Says to me they are getting completely out of the streaming business except for Crackle.
Means nothing to most of us as we just buy sony movies at our favorite provider.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:53 AM   #12954
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyry View Post
Means nothing to most of us as we just buy sony movies at our favorite provider.
You must mean Amazon then.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:45 AM   #12955
Power Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:

Quote:

I checked out the Sony Ultra App last night and it worked great no message on there. You guys know I really enjoyed Sony Ultra, but now with both Vudu and MA having 4K Movies I don't go to Ultra that much. I have no problems like you guys with any Streaming Provider, I have never tried Hulu. I do use Sony Crackle, and I like it the Ads come on don't take long. I think everyone is jumping on the Streaming Band Wagon and there is bond to be some shake out.

The other thing there was some talk about UHD Players and some Manufactures jumping ship, I think the ones that will stay have to consider Streaming Apps. I have never been big on Roku and don't even talk about Dongles. People like AppleTV because of the better Graphics Chip, and my Panasonic BD Player had a great Streaming App. So these UHD Players have to consider their Streaming Apps to take advantage of their better Graphics Chip.

Last edited by alchav21; 01-12-2019 at 04:54 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:51 AM   #12956
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
I checked out the Sony Ultra App last night and it worked great no message on there. I you guys know I really enjoyed the Sony Ultra, but now with both Vudu and MA having 4K Movies I don't go to Ultra that much. I have no problems like you guys with any Streaming Provider, I never tried Hulu. I do use Sony Crackle, and I like it the Ads come on don't take long. I think everyone is jumping on the Streaming Band Wagon and there is bond to be some shake out.

The other thing there was some talk about UHD Players and some Manufactures jumping ship, I think the ones that will stay have to consider Streaming Apps. I have never been big on Roku and don't even talk about Dongles. People like AppleTV because of the better Graphics Chip, and my Panasonic BD Player had a great Streaming App. So these UHD Players have to consider their Streaming Apps to take advantage of their better Graphics Chip.
What talk was this? Can you provide a link please?
Old 01-12-2019, 01:40 AM   #12957
Expert Member

Feb 2008
great britain
Send a message via MSN to johndoyle123

Bill hunt condemning physical media to the abyss

You would think it didnít make 4 billion

But studios are only interested in growth not decline , who cares about that 4
Billion or whatever letís just scrap it
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 01:46 AM   #12958
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoyle123 View Post

You would think it didnít make 4 billion

Billion or whatever letís just scrap it
If they are interested only in growth, Digital HD is going to have a short life.

Disc will be fine.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:59 AM   #12959
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
The other thing there was some talk about UHD Players and some Manufactures jumping ship,
No manufacturers of 4K UHD players have announced dropping 4K players. This rumor is spread largely by that same "Einstein" that says no one is making blu-ray players anymore. There is no truth to either claim and that is why no one provides any links to support it. It's just scuttlebutt from butt heads.

And for the millionth time, last year Oppo did not exit the market due to a lack of demand for 4K players. Their parent company wanted to focus on their core business, smartphones, and Oppo stated this as the reason reason publicly. Oppo also dropped headphones and head phone amplifiers; they dropped their entire audio/video product line. Perhaps this means that there is no longer any demand for headphones, too, by the "reasoning" used by some around here?

Last edited by Vilya; 01-12-2019 at 02:23 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:06 AM   #12960
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoyle123 View Post

You would think it didn’t make 4 billion

Billion or whatever let’s just scrap it
People like that confuse their desire for something to happen with what is actually happening. People like that will tell you that any decline in any product sales HAS to mean that a total collapse of that product is imminent. Cigarette sales have been declining in the U.S., too. I suppose he believes then that cigarettes are doomed here? It is the same warped logic at work.

People like him have promised us the death of physical media for over 4 years in a row now and instead of repeating his prophecy anew he should be celebrating another anniversary of being dead wrong instead with a nice serving of crow and humble pie for dessert. Someone should hand him a new compact disc every time he spouts this nonsense- if he and his ilk were even worth the bother or the cd.

Last edited by Vilya; 01-12-2019 at 06:18 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology