Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Noir Archive - Volume 1: 1944-1954 (Blu-ray)
$36.68

Ralph Breaks the Internet (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Far from Heaven (Blu-ray)
$19.98
8 hrs ago
Smallfoot (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Crazy Rich Asians (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$69.99

The Predator (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Sorry to Bother You (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Tomb Raider 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 01-04-2016, 09:28 PM   #21
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2014

Just a heads up, I'm currently in a dispute with that Multi Region Magic company. I picked up one of those players, but they declined my card because they will only ship to your billing address (I've just moved so the details don't match yet). I updated my address and tried again but told me that none of the transactions had gone through after we tried several times, only to find three of them had all been charged to my credit card and carried me over my limit. They effectively washed their hands with me but I was lucky as I have a master card, so it's relatively painless to get these sorts of problems rectified but nonetheless, it's been a nightmare.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:54 PM   #22
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM View Post
I asked the same question recently and I did find this on Amazon which seems perfect:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CODEFREE-BD-...g=bluraycom-21
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornyRhino" View Post
Here is 1 very close to £100 that they sell refurb but it still comes with 1 year warranty and the company i have found to be reliable as i have had 2 Multiregion players from them ..Sony BDP-S5500 & LG BP325 and have not had any issues especially the noises some mention.

[Show spoiler]Panasonic DMP-BD83EB-K Multiregion Blu-ray+DVD *Refurbished*
Super Multi-format Playback with Simple Operation
£119.00 + p+p

multiregion on Bluray and Dvd

Main Features
High Picture and Sound Quality
Ultra Fast Booting and Loading
Supports MKV/DivXHD/Jpeg/Mp3
Linear PCM/FLAC Compatibility
Amazon, YouTube & Netflix
DLNA Client (Windows 7, NAS HD Recorder)
NAS Compatibility
External HDD Playback
Multi User Mode
Stylish GUI
USB connector
1 x HDMI Output

Fitted with a ICOS modification to enable Multiregion Blu-Ray & DVD playback
(Blu-ray Region's A,B,C & DVD Region's 1-6)

This is a UK model with UK specification and comes with a 1 year warranty

Blu-ray regions are simply selected by using the players remote control. DVD region selection is automatic

Panasonic Officially Refurbished Product
This item may possess signs of cosmetic wear or handling, which do not affect the performance.
For total peace of mind this product comes with a one year manufacturer’s warranty.
It will include the original or equivalent accessories to those supplied with the original product.
Thanks, I'll keep those in mind, but its for more of a backup machine. While those aren't exactly too expensive, I just went with the cheaper player for now. When 1 or both of the current fully multi-region players die outright, I'll maybe look at buying a hardware modded player like that.
At this point I've got a lot more region locked DVDs, of my 64 US films/TV season blu-rays only 10 of those are A locked. Whereas the 50 DVD films/TV seasons (probably about 150 discs), I'd guess most of those are R1 locked.

I picked up the cheap Philips player earlier, the BDP2110. Had no problem making it multi-region for DVDs (Region code in middle);
[Show spoiler]
Old 01-04-2016, 10:58 PM   #23
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSimonH View Post
I picked up the cheap Philips player earlier, the BDP2110. Had no problem making it multi-region for DVDs (Region code in middle);
[Show spoiler]
I was just going to post about the Samsung 5100, DaveSimonH, I spent a few minutes earlier and couldn't get any results. So you were lucky you got the Philips. Tempted to get one myself!
Old 08-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #24
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSimonH View Post
[Show spoiler]Thanks, I'll keep those in mind, but its for more of a backup machine. While those aren't exactly too expensive, I just went with the cheaper player for now. When 1 or both of the current fully multi-region players die outright, I'll maybe look at buying a hardware modded player like that.
At this point I've got a lot more region locked DVDs, of my 64 US films/TV season blu-rays only 10 of those are A locked. Whereas the 50 DVD films/TV seasons (probably about 150 discs), I'd guess most of those are R1 locked.

[Show spoiler]
Just an update on the Philips BDP2110, what a POS.
I used it for a few weeks, but found it really noisy, seemed especially so with 50GB discs. So I went back to using the PS3 for B/R2 discs & my old Toshiba for my imports.
My sister picked up one too, but it died after only 2 or 3 months, but thankfully after some effort got a refund from Philips. So I gave her my player as I wasn't using it, but that died the other day after maybe 14 months of active use.

______

So I was back to trying to find her a player that could at least play R1 DVDs. She was considering getting a £140 modded blu-ray player from a third party Amazon seller, but she is unlikely to get A locked blu-rays so the cost was a bit much for her needs.
She ended up going with a 2 player solution. A Samsung BDJ-4500 from Argos for her UK discs, and then a £33 Panasonic multiregion DVD player from the Amazon Marketplace (only scart output, but better that nothing). It arrived today and played a R1 disc out of the box. She contacted the seller (magicdiscounts) before ordering, and they got back to her in less than 24hrs that it was "out of the box" R1 playback and it is "modified and tested by our suppliers engineer prior to shipment". Only took a couple of days to be delivered too.

Looking now, the seller does have a LG player with HDMI out for £40, but my sister seems happy enough with her player. It was for her little 21" bedroom TV that only has 1x HDMI, so it having its own slot (even if its only scart) is probably better for her.
Only thing I'll say about the Panasonic though is that you'll need a scart cable for it, it includes a composite cable (yellow, red & white) + scart adapter. Didn't bother with it, but from past experience composite is only a step above aerial/coaxial lead.

It's a cheap little player, but as it will only be for her R1 discs (maybe 15-20 TV sets etc. at most), so hopefully it will last as long as she needs it.
Thanks given by:
chip75 (08-05-2017)
Old 12-13-2018, 12:43 PM   #25
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011
United Kingdom

Anyone know of a way to chip an old LG BP620? It's there gathering dust, so would like to give it a bash
Old 12-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #26

Dec 2018
Norwich, England

Been debating on getting an old player and modding it to play multi-region but currently don't have any discs that I can't already play so it's probably not worth doing currently.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:45 PM   #27
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Lemmy View Post
Anyone know of a way to chip an old LG BP620? It's there gathering dust, so would like to give it a bash
You can get a mod set for it, you have to solder the it to the mainboard. They're about £40.

And the newer your machine is, the smaller the solder points get!
Thanks given by:
Blu Lemmy (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 11:41 AM   #28
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
You can get a mod set for it, you have to solder the it to the mainboard. They're about £40.

And the newer your machine is, the smaller the solder points get!
You got a link for that chap? I do plenty of soldering at work, so know my way round an iron
Old 01-08-2019, 08:13 PM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
Funkytown

A friend of mine in the UK just asked about region free players. If she was in the states, I'd just send her to 220-electronics, but for the UK? I have no idea who can hook her up with a fair price.

Thoughts? Or should she just go to amazon and be done with it?
Old 01-08-2019, 10:18 PM   #30

May 2010

Not sure if this will help anyone but the best multi region player I've ever owned is the Australian Laser BD3000. No need for modification as you can change the blu ray region code via the security settings and it's region free for DVD out of the box. Cinavia is also disabled. No 4K version, no wireless, no 3D...but it's perfect for someone who just wants to watch 1080p 2D discs, DVDs and video files without all the bells and whistles of the more expensive brands.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:46 PM   #31
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2013
'London Zoo' (Uk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Fez View Post
A friend of mine in the UK just asked about region free players. If she was in the states, I'd just send her to 220-electronics, but for the UK? I have no idea who can hook her up with a fair price.

Thoughts? Or should she just go to amazon and be done with it?
Best place I can recommend in the UK is

www.mrmdvd.com

Purchased several Sony multi region players (3D & 4k) over the last few years and they work flawlessly but note the prices are around £100 odd on top of the retail price of the player.

The company will even chip your own player if its on their list of compatible players.

I recommend the Sony X700 which covers everything - 2D/3D/4K/Dolby Vision.

Just my 2 cents..
Thanks given by:
El_Fez (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 02:22 AM   #32
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
Funkytown

Cool! Will pass along your notes to my friend. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:52 PM   #33
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemp View Post
Not sure if this will help anyone but the best multi region player I've ever owned is the Australian Laser BD3000. No need for modification as you can change the blu ray region code via the security settings and it's region free for DVD out of the box. Cinavia is also disabled. No 4K version, no wireless, no 3D...but it's perfect for someone who just wants to watch 1080p 2D discs, DVDs and video files without all the bells and whistles of the more expensive brands.
Meant to ask earlier -- how do you get to the Region change menu?

I've tried to read about this unit in the past though getting it outside Aus/NZ seems nearly impossible. One post said the Region Change menu is accessed in the normal menu, another said you had to enter 8520 then access the region menu. If so this sound like the same internal components as the US Seiki SR4KP1
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Tags
region b, region free, region free player