Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dr. Seuss' The Grinch 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Ghosts of the Abyss 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.00

xXx: Return of Xander Cage 3D (Blu-ray)
$23.52

Point Break 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Sing 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Happy Feet Two 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Cease Fire 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.83

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.97

Pan 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.97

In the Heart of the Sea 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.71

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 01-03-2019, 03:03 PM   #2861
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Here's a link to that piece in which JC is quoted.

The problem as I see it with JC's remarks is that he's largely talking about what he's doing as a film director with 3D. I've little doubt that the 3D in the Avatar sequels will be awesome, but that's not the period at the end of the 3D sentence in terms of this thread's subject line/main topic and as far as we as 3D HOME consumers are concerned.

Theatrically, I think it safe to surmise that, what with his reference to Dolby Cinema, JC will again (as with the re-release of Titanic with HDR) partner with AMC and be in all major markets.

But the closest we get in these (now 8-month-old) remarks regarding the home situation/the consumer electronics manufacturers is "Then, we need the roll out of autostereoscopic screens, large panel displays, where you don't need glasses at all." Is JC partnering with a manuf to help make that happen? I've not seen anything that indicates that. He can talk about what we "need" all he wants, but unless someone with his resources is working with manufs to make it happen, it's just that: Talk.

And then there's the huge elephant in the room of JC now making these movies for Disney, a company that as we all know has largely retreated from the U.S. 3D BD market. We have no idea at this time what the Fox acquisition may mean for one of that studio's biggest tubthumpers for 3D, namely CTO Hanno Basse and the Fox Innovation Lab (remember all the attention and money spent on The Martian 3D BD?).

Unless and until we see a joint announcement by Lightstorm/JC/Disney about plans for the Avatar sequels to all be hitting "Disney 3D BD," perhaps (as I've opined in remarks months ago) as part of a 4K UHD BD box set (including The Abyss and True Lies) bundled in the U.S. with, say, an LG panel that supports 3D then I'm not holding my breath. His pictures can be as impressive AF but that has little to do with some macrostructural shifts in the consumer markets since the first Avatar dropped.

Sheesh even Bruce Springsteen has now done a Netflix exclusive (Springsteen On Broadway). I don't know what JC's intent is with his (seemingly shady) "I'm not doing television production" remark.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:49 PM   #2862
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Round Rock, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytrader View Post
Dont worry, 3D will be back massively in a few years, we have the next four Avatar sequels coming, he is already 100 days into the 2nd and 3rd movie, and he says they are being made for 3d, and it will be the best 3D we the public have ever seen, so i reckon 3D will be back in 2020

You may not be ready for the sumptuous 3D experience that James Cameron is promising to bring us with Avatar 2. Even though it's taken nearly a decade, Cameron is finally hard at work on getting his Avatar sequels, all four of them, ready for the public to take in. Story details are a little slim at the moment, but the director is assuring as that the long-awaited sequel will, at the very least, be a visual 3D feast the likes of which we've never seen before.

"I guarantee one thing. Avatar 2, 3, 4, and 5 are all going to be in 3D and they will look sumptuous," he said. He also says that "Hollywood has done 3D a disservice by embracing post-conversion," with the technology having stalled out a few years ago. For Avatar 2 and beyond, he's trying to push the technology forward once again. Here's what he had to say about it.

"From my own perspective since I'm not doing television production, I'm doing Avatar sequels, four of them. They will be, to the best of my ability, the best 3D that's possible to make. That includes collaborating with the people at Dolby Cinema, who have developed high dynamic range projection that could put 16 foot-lamberts of light on a 3D screen through the glasses, which is revolutionary. Normally, you're looking at about three foot-lamberts. Sixteen is what you should be seeing. That's what movies should look like."
I wonder which TV manufacture he's going to take a payday from in order to make the 3D BD release exclusive and screw the 3D at-home market again?
Old 01-03-2019, 10:20 PM   #2863
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastCreatureTrapper View Post
Sorry, Cameron. I heard the same "It'll f*ck your eyeballs!" hype from you for the first Avatar, which had nice 3-D, but nothing I hadn't seen before (and better).
As long as Avatar 2 on 3D Blu-ray doesn't become an exclusivity between Cameron, FOX/Disney and Panasonic we should be good to 3D go all.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:24 PM   #2864
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post
I wonder which TV manufacture he's going to take a payday from in order to make the 3D BD release exclusive and screw the 3D at-home market again?
I hope it won't be Panasonic again. ...Enough of this bullshit; that's what kills 3D in the first place. ...And 20th Century FOX studios.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:04 PM   #2865

Oct 2010

Panasonic getting Avatar as an exclusive was due to their assistance with production, as their pro equipment was used during shooting. Their PDPs were used for on-set stuff or something along those lines. The post-production video work was done on JVC's 3D professional displays.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:28 PM   #2866
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

And Panasonic Hollywood Lab likely offered to author and master the disc for "free." Yet another in-kind contribution to the budget of the picture.

These B2B horses have been repeatedly beaten past death into afterlives. Only now as we move deeper into a time of streaming, boutique licensure and arguable packaged media twilight, it's become even more clear that B2B (read: exclusivity) is one of the only ways certain discs are ever going to exist.

Last edited by Paul.R.S; 01-05-2019 at 03:49 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:52 PM   #2867

Oct 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
As long as Avatar 2 on 3D Blu-ray doesn't become an exclusivity between Cameron, FOX/Disney and Panasonic we should be good to 3D go all.
Lol...I can see it now...you have to buy a 8K Panasonic tv/bluray player combo to get the exclusive bonus Avatar 2 disc...with Camerons signature. And they are redeemable only at a store in Disney Animal Kingdom...Pandora.

Thanks given by:
Daytrader (01-05-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 03:25 AM   #2868
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

At least according to the site's db at this time, Aquaman appears to be hitting the vast majority of the world on 3D BD. Are there really that many more 3D displays in countries other than the US? I wonder if disc replication costs and the contracts studios have with those facilities are playing a role in such a disparate release situation (Warner is still doing 3D BD but Disney can't make a US exception for Black Panther?). Home 3D support can't possibly track with Aquaman's 70% international/30% domestic theatrical grosses.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:09 AM   #2869
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
I hope it won't be Panasonic again. ...Enough of this bullshit; that's what kills 3D in the first place. ...And 20th Century FOX studios.
Hi Bob,

But the silver lining in that would be somebody starting to again include 3D in their television arsenal.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:25 AM   #2870
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Joe, the next TV manufacturer who comes back to support 3D in their top models, and below, will get my stamp of full endorsement and free advertising.
And if Disney reissues all their 3D Blus in North America I will buy back all the shares I've sold in the last few years.

3D is a cycle, like when you do your laundry.
Thanks given by:
Joe D. (01-10-2019), Variety Films 3D (01-17-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 09:31 PM   #2871
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Interesting new wrinkle today: In the Warnersphere, we've gone from 2049 having been misrepresented as a BB exclu (it was and remains avail through WB Shop) . . . to the Aquaman 3D BD now being listed in the site's db as an Amaz exclu.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:53 PM   #2872
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
Phoenix, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
Interesting new wrinkle today: In the Warnersphere, we've gone from 2049 having been misrepresented as a BB exclu (it was and remains avail through WB Shop) . . . to the Aquaman 3D BD now being listed in the site's db as an Amaz exclu.
Certainly no "wrinkles" to speak of. For the past several months, Warner has been releasing two or three versions of their 3D discs:
  • Standard 3D + 2D + Digital
  • Amazon Exclusive 3D + Digital (No 2D disc)
  • Sometimes a Best Buy exclusive version with slipcover

In the case of BR 2049, there was indeed a Best Buy exclusive version. This version had a slipcover:

...while the standard, non-Best Buy version did not have a slipcover:

Starting with Rampage 3D, Warner began releasing single-disc, Amazon exclusive versions that do not include 2D discs. Here's the standard Rampage 3D release with 3D + 2D + Digital:

...and here's the Rampage 3D Amazon exclusive:

The same thing happened with Ready Player One and The Meg, although The Meg also got a Best Buy version with slipcover.

The same thing is set to happen yet again with Aquaman 3D. There is the standard 3D + 2D + Digital version:

...and then there's the Amazon exclusive, 1-disc version (no 2D disc):

Yes, it's confusing, but we should feel lucky that Warner is still supporting the format.
Thanks given by:
Variety Films 3D (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 12:42 PM   #2873

Dec 2018

So these 3D only versions . . . Does that mean no bonus material?
Old 01-10-2019, 02:05 PM   #2874

Feb 2015
London, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variety Films 3D View Post
So these 3D only versions . . . Does that mean no bonus material?
Yes, which makes me wonder why they don't charge less for them.
Thanks given by:
Interdimensional (01-11-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 07:56 PM   #2875
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Thanks for all that, Ryan. It goes to my broader point expressed across multiple threads (from Fright Night to Roma to here) in recent months that we're in a splintered marketplace, especially when one looks at the sometimes headscratcher choices regarding what does and does not get released on UHD and 3D BD (and, in the latter case, with what "exclusivity").

(And it "certainly" is/was a new development that the Aquaman 3D BD was not listed in the site db as an Amazon exclu on Tuesday but it was yesterday. More importantly, the whole trifurcated Warner release scheme you describe is a new development/wrinkle within the context of the format. As you say, it's come into existence in the "past several months." I got Kenny Chesney Summer In 3D over seven years ago . . . and when I did it was coming off a period of what we used to understand "exclusivity" to mean: It previously could only be found at K-Mart but later went wide. Which goes to my larger point . . .)

. . . which is about admittedly pro-sumer observations about/critiques of shifts in the marketplace as we move through these uncharted waters. The very nature of "exclusivity" has shifted away from a product literally not being available anywhere but one chain/store to . . . as online sales undermined that cachet . . . retailer-exclusive packaging . . . to now seemingly a slipcase being the point of "exclusivity."

Since you went there, I have to say that I'd opine it's mainly those of us who obsess over "slips" who'd agree with the idea that the BB 2049 3D BD situation was an "exclusive." Neither the studio nor BB marketed it such that it was clear that the "exclusivity" turned on the slipcase. There's not even any verbiage to that effect on the most likely place it would appear: The "Only at Best Buy" sticker on the product. I posted about the (myth of) 2049 3D BD "exclusivity" in that thread repeatedly and at no time did someone chime in and say it was being called an exclusive because of the slip. There's a lot of discussion right now in the Creed (also Warner) UHD BD thread about the randomness of where guys are and are not finding that title in a slip. So it's interesting to me at least that the same studio that is haphazard about slip availability on another current "marquee" title would make a slip the point of exclusivity differentiation on another . . . but not really market it as such. This is typical studio meshugas though: They're undermining the cachet of the slip's exclusivity by not being consistent across multiple titles as to when it's indeed exclusive.

But the reason I "digress" isn't to argue about the slip. Rather, it's to push back on the notion oft expressed by another member herein that the exclusivity is a bad thing. Au contraire I think it arguably indicates that it can be an important part of making a release pencil out that we might not otherwise be getting at all. It's a rough synopsis but with Warner we've gone from . . .

. . . "day-and-date" 2D (+ DVD) and 3D (+ 2D BD) combo pack releases of Fury Road in September 2015 . . .

. . . to a 4K UHD + 3D BD BB exclu Steelbook (something they've yet to repeat) for Skull Island in July 2017 . . .

. . . to the confusing multiple releases and tacit 3D BD BB "slipcase exclusive" 2049 situation last year at this time . . .

. . . to now their apparently providing info to this site that explicitly identifies one version of the Aquaman 3D BD as an Amazon exclusive.

Hells yeah I'm happy Warner is still supporting the format compared to Mouschwitz, but it seems clear to me that these machinations are happening because it's either difficult to make the support pencil out otherwise . . . or they're just monetizing various fanboy and e-tailer hegemon channels (read: business as usual).

Last edited by Paul.R.S; 01-10-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:20 AM   #2876
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

"@BobIger should be helping keep the CIVIL WAR going thru INFINITY WAR. Its disgraceful. Citizens of our Great Country who want their 3D BlueRay DVDs should not have to give money to Tax Cheat @JeffBezos. SAD!"
Old 01-11-2019, 02:37 PM   #2877

Dec 2018

Speaking of Creed, has anybody found an international Blu-ray 3D for it? It had an extremely limited US 3D re-release.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:08 PM   #2878
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

You know how to do a global search of the site's db, yes, Variety? Hover over the flag in the search engine bar and click "All countries" in the pulldown (or the globe icon to the left of all the various country flags at/near the top right-hand corner of the home page). No country has released a 3D BD of Creed. (And obviously one of the laments of this thread is that a theatrical 3D release doesn't mean that picture is coming to 3D BD. Having said that, I don't recall seeing any ads for Creed in theatrical 3D.)

Last edited by Paul.R.S; 01-11-2019 at 08:00 PM.
Thanks given by:
Variety Films 3D (01-14-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 07:46 PM   #2879
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
Phoenix, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
(And it "certainly" is/was a new development that the Aquaman 3D BD was not listed in the site db as an Amazon exclu on Tuesday but it was yesterday. More importantly, the whole trifurcated Warner release scheme you describe is a new development/wrinkle within the context of the format. As you say, it's come into existence in the "past several months."
I created a new database entry for the Amazon exclusive 1-disc version yesterday. The original database entry for the 2-disc version mistakenly had an Amazon link which directed users to purchase the 1-disc version on Amazon. To avoid confusion, I created a new database entry for the Amazon 1-disc version which now correctly links to Amazon. The 2-disc version is not currently available on Amazon but will likely be sold through places like Deep Discount, Barnes & Noble, and possibly Best Buy.

New database entry for Amazon exclusive (3D disc + Digital only):

Original database entry for standard 3D + 2D + Digital:

Thanks given by:
Joe D. (01-11-2019), Paul.R.S (01-11-2019), Variety Films 3D (01-14-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 04:53 AM   #2880
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Thanks, Ryan. It would be nice if Warner could settle on a/this strategy. It's especially helpful for buyers such as myself who are interested in both 3D and 4K UHD BD. Ironically but not surprisingly for me, it has been Warner that has released on both formats some of the kinds of movies I def want to buy and enjoy both ways: Fury Road and 2049.

With some of these released on both that I want (Universal's Everest is another), I've been buying the 3D early-ish so I can still get some dinero from selling the 1080 out of the 3D combo. That way I can watch the pic in 3D and 2D from that one disc now and then buy the 4K later (when it's cheaper . . . and after I take a score to afford my 92" OLED). If at least Warner is gonna do single-disc 3D releases, that eliminates the need for selling that 1080 that's gonna be in the later UHD combo purchase.

Last edited by Paul.R.S; 01-12-2019 at 05:04 AM.
Thanks given by:
ryanmcv (01-12-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Tags
3d t.v, 3d tv production halted, poping