Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Noir Archive - Volume 1: 1944-1954 (Blu-ray)
$36.68

Khrustalyov, My Car! (Blu-ray)
$33.03
7 hrs ago
Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$69.99

Halloween III: Season of the Witch (Blu-ray)
$20.99
8 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Ralph Breaks the Internet (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Predator (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Crazy Rich Asians (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Smallfoot (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Far from Heaven (Blu-ray)
$19.98

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-08-2019, 10:00 PM   #1801

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRI2006 View Post
Criterion has been around for decades with much higher profile movies than the Godzilla films. If you have any passing interest in movies and home video I think they are well "on the map" already. lol

Godzilla was their highest selling title for awhile. The Toho films were a major selling point of Filmstruck. The Toho Godzilla's will make Criterion a lot of money. Why they're a bit of a lock to be released at some point.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:18 PM   #1802

Jan 2019

So many left without a Blu Ray release. I hope that they will get them to Blu Ray one day....while I am still alive.

I also hope that Mothra and Rodan get a Blu ray release.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:44 PM   #1803

May 2013
upstate NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moj View Post
Godzilla was their highest selling title for awhile. The Toho films were a major selling point of Filmstruck. The Toho Godzilla's will make Criterion a lot of money. Why they're a bit of a lock to be released at some point.
much of this will depend on price point. while the original Godzilla is considered a sci-fi classic and attracts fans from outside the usual circles many of the other titles won't. Joe Average is used to paying a fairly low price for Toho kaiju films and isn't likely to buy an expensive box set or individual titles at the usual Criterion price. Shout tried going that route with the Gamera titles and they didn't sell that well past the first couple of titles. the Mill Creek blu releases on the other hand did very well as they were cheap. i know Godzilla is more popular than Gamera but i think the same thing will apply.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:13 PM   #1804
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2013
The Forbidden Valley of NE Ohio

I'll take these Toho Godzilla et al Criterion blu-ray releases any way I can get them. I know they won't come cheap but this is one of those cases I have to have them regardless of budget.
Thanks given by:
El_Fez (01-11-2019), ltb2.0 (01-11-2019), Rzzzz (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 06:46 PM   #1805
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
Funkytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRI2006 View Post
Criterion has been around for decades with much higher profile movies than the Godzilla films.
I don't mean this as snark, but as genuine curiosity. What movies do you consider to be higher profile than Godzilla movies? I cant think of any other movie in their roster that is as globally well known and famous as Godzilla is.

The best I could come up with would be the older mainstream laserdisc stuff like The Rock, Armageddon, Robocop and those Connery 007 flicks - the flicks they used to establish their brand and/or keep the lights on during the aughts. But they haven't had the rights to those for over a decade.

Seven Samurai might be a great flick, but outside of here and a certain stripe of film nerds? Nobody would have heard of it.
Thanks given by:
MattPerdue (01-12-2019), Rzzzz (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 06:48 PM   #1806
Expert Member

Nov 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphoR View Post
I'll take these Toho Godzilla et al Criterion blu-ray releases any way I can get them. I know they won't come cheap but this is one of those cases I have to have them regardless of budget.
All they have to do is tell me how much the ransom is and I will pay it.....
Thanks given by:
El_Fez (01-11-2019), RalphoR (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 06:53 PM   #1807
Power Member

Oct 2017
いえ の なか で

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzzzz View Post
All they have to do is tell me how much the ransom is and I will pay it.....
I have a Kidney I am willing to part with.
Thanks given by:
Luke Dodge748 (01-12-2019), RalphoR (01-11-2019), Rzzzz (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 07:56 PM   #1808
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2012
WI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Fez View Post
I don't mean this as snark, but as genuine curiosity. What movies do you consider to be higher profile than Godzilla movies? I cant think of any other movie in their roster that is as globally well known and famous as Godzilla is.

The best I could come up with would be the older mainstream laserdisc stuff like The Rock, Armageddon, Robocop and those Connery 007 flicks - the flicks they used to establish their brand and/or keep the lights on during the aughts. But they haven't had the rights to those for over a decade.

Seven Samurai might be a great flick, but outside of here and a certain stripe of film nerds? Nobody would have heard of it.
They just released Night of the Living Dead and Silence of the Lambs and Dr Strangelove on blu-ray, for just a handful of examples.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:34 PM   #1809

Nov 2017
Green Noa

The Princess Bride, Breakfast Club, Kurosawa, Kubrick......
Old 01-11-2019, 09:40 PM   #1810
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2012
WI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Crimson View Post
The Princess Bride, Breakfast Club, Kurosawa, Kubrick......
I think more people have seen Godzilla movies than Kurosawa movies or some Kubrick movies, but Princess Bride and The Breakfast Club, yeah not even close. Godzilla's something most absorb through cultural osmosis. The Princess Bride and The Breakfast Club, almost everyone ~40 and under seem to have seen.

This set would probably be huge, don't get me wrong, but people that like to say things like "Criterion's only ARTSY FARTSY movies, they should release something that people have heard of for a change!!!!" in regards to this are being silly.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:34 PM   #1811

May 2013
upstate NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefactory View Post
I think more people have seen Godzilla movies than Kurosawa movies or some Kubrick movies, but Princess Bride and The Breakfast Club, yeah not even close. Godzilla's something most absorb through cultural osmosis. The Princess Bride and The Breakfast Club, almost everyone ~40 and under seem to have seen.

This set would probably be huge, don't get me wrong, but people that like to say things like "Criterion's only ARTSY FARTSY movies, they should release something that people have heard of for a change!!!!" in regards to this are being silly.
i'm sure that many more people are familiar with the Godzilla films than Kurosawa titles but that really isn't the point. the "film nerds" that are familiar don't seem to have a problem paying real money for those films. i just wonder if the Godzilla films will. lots of fans but how many will balk at the idea of paying over $20 for each title or big money for a boxed set. sure die hard fans will but even as one of them i have a tough time with the idea of paying real money for Godzilla's Revenge or even Son Of Godzilla.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:57 PM   #1812
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2012
WI, USA

Yeah that's definitely true, people into Criterion stuff are used to paying an arm and a leg, people into Godzilla movies are used to paying 7 dollars for Kraken releases or those Classic Media things back in the DVD days.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:24 PM   #1813

May 2013
upstate NY

Quote:
Yeah that's definitely true, people into Criterion stuff are used to paying an arm and a leg, people into Godzilla movies are used to paying 7 dollars for Kraken releases or those Classic Media things back in the DVD days.
exactly. early on in Blu-Rays some Shaw Brothers kung fu titles were released. they didn't do well because again kung fu fans are used to cheap product. there haven't been any more releases since despite their being many desirable titles that haven't been released (in the US) big fan base doesn't always translate into big money. hope the Godzilla titles do well but i won't be surprised if once they get past the initial batch they don't move well if Criterion stays wit their usual pricing structure.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:32 AM   #1814

Nov 2008

If Criterion can make money selling a $300 39-film Ingmar Bergman boxset they will make bank even if their Godzilla set is $200-300. It'll be pricey but if you just wait for one of the 50% off sales it'll end up being ~$10 a movie.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:38 AM   #1815

Oct 2012
Planet Earth

Since Criterion is planning to start their own streaming service (this year?), I would not be surprised if they offer a few Godzilla films through that service. This could mean we will have to wait a bit longer for any physical blu ray releases. What ever happened to Kraken Releases. Are they planning to release other Godzilla films on blu ray?
Old 01-12-2019, 06:55 AM   #1816
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2012
WI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey100 View Post
Since Criterion is planning to start their own streaming service (this year?), I would not be surprised if they offer a few Godzilla films through that service. This could mean we will have to wait a bit longer for any physical blu ray releases. What ever happened to Kraken Releases. Are they planning to release other Godzilla films on blu ray?
There isnít anything left for them to release, all the remaining movies are held by Criterion based on the filmstruck movies.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:15 AM   #1817
Power Member

Oct 2017
いえ の なか で

Quote:
There isnít anything left for them to release, all the remaining movies are held by Criterion based on the filmstruck movies.
What he said. Though they could look into other movies of the ilk.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:38 AM   #1818
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2014

Whatever the price Criterion will charge for those Godzilla films I will gladly pay it.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:53 PM   #1819

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey100 View Post
It's possible that they go streaming-only with Godzilla, but I honestly don't know. Criterion has been completely opaque about their intentions and plans when it comes to the Godzilla films.

As for Kraken, they have been dead silent, as they are nothing more than a shell company for Sentai Filmworks that is used to release monster movies. I don't know if they are picking up the old Media Blasters licenses for Toho's kaiju films, but I don't expect to hear anything from Kraken about more releases until KOTM hits home video in the holiday sale period.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:58 PM   #1820
Power Member

Sep 2015
Alabama

Kraken is releasing Tokyo Living Dead Idol in March, and released several Garo titles last year. There aren't any more Godzilla films for them to license, and I feel like the old Media Blaster Toho titles might be under Criterion's radar. I'm not really expecting them to release anything exciting this year unless they get their hands on some classic Toku shows.

http://www.krakenreleasing.com

Last edited by starsteam; 01-12-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America