Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hitman 2 (PS4)
$29.99

Just Cause 4 (PS4)
$40.00
1 hr ago
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (PS4)
$52.99

Starlink: Battle for Atlas Starter Pack (PS4)
$19.99
2 hrs ago
Valkyria Chronicles 4 (PS4)
$47.13

Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (PS4)
$29.99

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PS4)
$45.00
1 hr ago
Punch Line (PS4)
$21.45
5 hrs ago
ARK: Survival Evolved (PS4)
$39.99

Farming Simulator 19 (PS4)
$39.99

Destiny 2: Forsaken (PS4)
$28.02

Divinity: Original Sin II (PS4)
$39.82

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

View Poll Results: When do you think PS5 will be announced?
2018 6 3.39%
2019 60 33.90%
2020 85 48.02%
2021 26 14.69%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2019, 10:56 PM   #921

Oct 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
I'm assuming 100 hours was obtained well within the warranty period. Why not change it out or get a refund?
First of all I believe it is a bigger/worse problem than the other posters are suggesting, so all that would happen is I would get rid of the parts that are burned in right now. I would still have to be super careful. I considered it at the time but I wanted to see if it could go away on its own if I changed how I viewed and I really didn't want to deal with such a huge task as get my tv replaced anyway. It's just as well I didn't because it turns out when people did this they replaced the panels in the TV with non-3D capable panels as they don't manufacture them anymore. I have the last set of LG 3D TVs. That's why I have to be so careful not to mess it up further.

Also to clarify, that's only 100 hours of the content that got burned in. It took about 9 months to get there.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:32 AM   #922
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Sounds like O stands for Organic & we all know the end result in that.

I myself just canít justify the cost to potential burn-in risk. Iím sure others are just fine with OLED & gaming. Good news is companies are taking notes & trying to future proof the issue with tech instead of writing off burn in like a PR stunt.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:05 AM   #923
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
What makes it more ironic if fully confirmed by Sony and AMD down the line, that MS were the ones up on stage talking up their relationship for working on next gen hardware together lol.
Well you know Phil Spencer has never met a camera or microphone he didn't like. LOL.

If true, I'm sure when Sony does unveil the PS5 specs, MS will tweak theirs just so they can continue their "most powerful place to play" claim.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:54 AM   #924
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2005
England

OLED chat is a bit off topic, but I'll throw in that I have one (over 18 months now) and no issues at all. TV, gaming, blu-ray, HDR content. There will always be problems with technology, nothing is perfect; but OLED burn in is the exception, not the norm. It's the best tv technology available now.

Anyway, back to PS5...
Old 01-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #925
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Well you know Phil Spencer has never met a camera or microphone he didn't like. LOL.

If true, I'm sure when Sony does unveil the PS5 specs, MS will tweak theirs just so they can continue their "most powerful place to play" claim.
See i've read that MS has already made no secret of having two systems for next gen or at least 2 next gen projects on the go at the same time. It seems like MS might release them simultaneously but what happens mlre often than not imo is inside industry leaks get to each company and they mainly try to tweak their own marketing and communications to the consumers when hardware changes can't be made.

Sony will probably keep the specs as high as possible at a friendly enough price point and then release another mid gen refresh down the line rather than probably launch 2 simultaneously like MS might. Although that method would be preferred since Sony can make a more powerful console than they would have just launching with one.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:13 PM   #926
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

It was nice to see Phil at AMDís presser. Itís no secret both Sony & MS are working with them.

The R7 was the topic from AMD. Imagine a slimmer version crammed into consoles?
Old 01-11-2019, 08:42 PM   #927
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Apparently Vega and Navi have a 7nm variant but if Vega 7nm is what Xbox are using and PS is Navi, then what are the key differences in a console environment Sony could achieve over MS and does anybody think Sony would lock Navi down exclusively for their PS5s if so?
Old 01-11-2019, 09:02 PM   #928
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
Apparently Vega and Navi have a 7nm variant but if Vega 7nm is what Xbox are using and PS is Navi, then what are the key differences in a console environment Sony could achieve over MS and does anybody think Sony would lock Navi down exclusively for their PS5s if so?
Navi could be PS exclusive, there was something last year about Sony having to push PS5 from a late 2019 to 2020 launch and around the same time Navi was also pushed back.

Another factor to consider is if they will be using an APU or discreet CPU/GPU. Could make a big difference. There seem to have been at least two rumours suggesting this, one from 2017 and another from a Chinese forum.

There was also the leaked slides from a PDF last year,

Of course the biggest issue with this is that the date they used is April 1st. Could be a red flag, could be the actual date who knows.

Trouble is Vega is almost ancient tech already. It was delayed a whole year, I would like to see if it can cut it compared to the brand new Navi.

I'm also hoping for full on SSD in next gen, the prices are plummeting this year. 1TB SSDs can be had for about £100 now, by the time PS5 launches it should at least be a SKU option if not standard.

Last edited by Mavrick; 01-11-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:03 PM   #929
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2011

Quote:

Probably not possible. These production roadmaps are set in stone a year or two before launch. It's not like either can say specs this year (assuming a 2020 launch) and change much of anything. The only thing they could do is overclock chips but that will destroy any thermals they've figured out. Nobody wants anymore RRoD's or yellow lights.

So Mav, according to your slides any games after April 1st will be Epsilon exclusives. So that means to play the new games people will need a new system. Games after that date will not run worse on a 4 or Pro, the simply will not run at all? That's interesting if true.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #930
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008
Pillars of Creation

What kind of graphic upgrade are we looking at for PS5?
Old 01-11-2019, 09:17 PM   #931
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
Eleventy billion TERAFLOPS.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:21 PM   #932
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Probably not possible. These production roadmaps are set in stone a year or two before launch. It's not like either can say specs this year (assuming a 2020 launch) and change much of anything. The only thing they could do is overclock chips but that will destroy any thermals they've figured out. Nobody wants anymore RRoD's or yellow lights.

So Mav, according to your slides any games after April 1st will be Epsilon exclusives. So that means to play the new games people will need a new system. Games after that date will not run worse on a 4 or Pro, the simply will not run at all? That's interesting if true.
IF it's legit, and if plans didn't change. April 1st is always a red flag given the hijinx surrounding it.

It could make sense, I don't think we know of any Sony games that started production after April 2018. Games after that date will likely be 2021 2022 2023 releases, so maybe a year or two after launch, so would be more palatable if they were PS5 exclusive whilst all the games started prior to that would be cross gen since PS4 will still be the biggest platform through the first two years. It would probably just be a case of it would take that long to get a finished PS5 exclusive title.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:22 PM   #933
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008
Pillars of Creation

Quote:
Eleventy billion TERAFLOPS.
Sooo we have to log into to the matrix to play it?

I hope they sell better rigs than what Morpheus used because that looked very unsanitary.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:35 PM   #934
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
People are estimating around 10tf.

Xbox One X is 6.17tf PS4 Pro has 4.2, so it would be a decent bump. Although in terms of comparing to PC graphics, somewhere around a GTX 1070, seems a lot of people are sceptical it will manage 1080 levels of graphics.
Thanks given by:
Unknown450 (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:46 PM   #935
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
People are estimating around 10tf.

Xbox One X is 6.17tf PS4 Pro has 4.2, so it would be a decent bump. Although in terms of comparing to PC graphics, somewhere around a GTX 1070, seems a lot of people are sceptical it will manage 1080 levels of graphics.
I'm running a 1070 in my pc atm and I've been able to play everything on highest settings so far. So i'm ok with that.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:00 PM   #936
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
The problem with numbers is that they never seem to tell the whole story. Like how PS4 can push out games like God of War even on standard consoles despite the hardware it has compared to PCs of equivalent specs.

Closed systems have always had that strength but i honestly hand on heart think 4k @ 60fps should be a locked minimum threshold for them to be hitting on the base console by 2020.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:36 PM   #937
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

I don't even think it will be pushing native 4K across the board to be honest. Some studios will still prefer 30fps over 60fps as a design choice.

Depending on what they want to do with the game though I would still be happy with sub 4K as long as the textures get a nice boost.

Even the RTX 2060 can do proper RTRT in BFV @1080p60 which is pretty impressive, that's even before the DLSS update has been patched in too, so I wonder if there will be some form of Ray Tracing next gen.

Dr. Su did touch on the fact RTRT is something that might be coming in the near future, possibly with Navi and with Polyphony working on their own RT and considering how optimised consoles are there could be a very small chance we might see that in some form.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:11 AM   #938
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

I understand 30fps as an artistic choice. I like to play The Last of Us that way on SP but i mean we should be gaming at native 4k at 60fps easily next gen based on what GPUs we have atm considering they've likely not gotta Ray Trace games for a long while and for most titles.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:32 AM   #939
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
And I'm 100% ok with that. I don't WANT Sony's developers to be tethered to the old hardware just to push some "forward compatibility" initiative. I want their efforts to be focused completely on pushing the new hardware.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:12 AM   #940
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
And I'm 100% ok with that. I don't WANT Sony's developers to be tethered to the old hardware just to push some "forward compatibility" initiative. I want their efforts to be focused completely on pushing the new hardware.
As long as it is backwards compatible from now on i don't care about whether future games play on PS4 otherwise it's not truly a next gen game.
Thanks given by:
Steelmaker (01-12-2019), Talal86 (01-12-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4