Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
21 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Glass 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.95

Tomb Raider 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
9 hrs ago
Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Robin Hood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
12 hrs ago
Love, Simon 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
13 min ago
Creed II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Kin 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
4 hrs ago
The Greatest Showman 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
23 hrs ago
The Meg 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 01-11-2019, 09:36 PM   #761
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post
Aliens SE is the original intended Theatrical Cut but the Studio demanded it to be shortened, as clearly conveyed in the SE intro, commentary, and various interviews.

Cameron has also stated that he is fine with Theatrical Cuts of his various films, in large part because he made the editorial decisions and finds the brisker pacing beneficial for general audiences but for the fans and himself who want an extended experience that is what the Special Editions are for. It is nice to have options.

Aliens and The Abyss I prefer the SEs, whereas with Terminator 2 either cuts are enjoyable for me. Avatar I like the Extended Special Edition.

Now where is The Abyss SE 4K release, damn it!
I'm not sure it was the intended theatrical cut. Some have speculated that the CBS cut is nearer to what the original version was, and when Cameron got a chance to do the longer cut for home video he added in more scenes on top that simply weren't necessary to tell the story in any way, shape or form. The "anecdotal" stuff, as he calls it in his T2 SE liner notes.

In any case, while I won't be sad if the UHD of Alien drops the DC, I'll be hopping mad if the theatrical cut of Aliens is left out of the UHD because I can't stand the SE version of that film. Moves slower than a ****ing glacier. Don't get me wrongo, that's the first film's bag and I like it, but it just feels wrong taking sooooooooo long to get going on film #2.
Thanks given by:
Fat Phil (01-11-2019), LarryT (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:38 PM   #762

Jun 2017

I have something to confess, I’ve only seen the SE version for aliens.
Thanks given by:
jayman3 (01-11-2019), zw94 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:48 PM   #763
Special Member

Sep 2011
Northern CA

One of my favorite DC versions.

While I could do with a few scenes removed, its the way I always watched it since my TV recording and the SE Laserdisc. Same as T2.
Abyss can really bog down though.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:50 PM   #764

Nov 2017
Green Noa

The Ripley scenes in the beginning of the SE I feel are the most essential; can't imagine why they were cut, ever.
Thanks given by:
grodd (01-11-2019), zw94 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #765
Power Member

Feb 2012
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Crimson View Post
The Ripley scenes in the beginning of the SE I feel are the most essential; can't imagine why they were cut, ever.
Definitely. The scene where Ripley learns Amanda has died is essential for her arc to set up her relationship with Newt.
Thanks given by:
grodd (01-11-2019), King Crimson (01-11-2019), zw94 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #766
Blu-ray Guru

May 2016
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang Zei View Post
Now that Disney doesnít need to work out a deal with Fox over ANH because, well, they own Fox now, I feel like weíll see the theatrical cuts sooner rather than later.
You feel that way despite Disney repeatedly saying, quite clearly, that it's never going to happen, for the same reason it hasn't happened before?
Thanks given by:
King Crimson (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:06 PM   #767
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by grodd View Post
One of my favorite DC versions.

While I could do with a few scenes removed, its the way I always watched it since my TV recording and the SE Laserdisc. Same as T2.
Abyss can really bog down though.
I'm the opposite, I LOVE the longer version of The Abuse
Old 01-11-2019, 10:08 PM   #768
Expert Member

Aug 2018

George sold Star Wars to Disney. There was a contract. The contract had clauses. Don’t hold your breath for theatrical cuts
Old 01-11-2019, 10:10 PM   #769
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottyaboutpotter1 View Post
Definitely. The scene where Ripley learns Amanda has died is essential for her arc to set up her relationship with Newt.
Nonsense.

Having a maternal instinct isn't exclusive to women that have had children, ya know.
Thanks given by:
Fat Phil (01-11-2019), Geoff D (01-11-2019), LarryT (01-11-2019), StingingVelvet (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:11 PM   #770

Nov 2017
Green Noa

Maybe minority opinion but I think the final cut of ESB is the best version of the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
Nonsense.

Having a maternal instinct isn't exclusive to women that have had children, ya know.
Yeah but she specifically mentions her daughter to newt...
Old 01-11-2019, 10:17 PM   #771
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
The main difference for me is the ending. Theatrical seems like a half-assed throwaway, the extended one actually presents a genuine threat instead of just a brief "humans r bad" "oh go on we're not that bad" blip of psychic chit-chat.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:18 PM   #772
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Nonsense.

Exactly my reasoning for why I don't require it to be there. It makes Ripley's need to protect her even more powerful in the theatrical cut, almost primal in a way, because she hasn't suffered the loss of her daughter and quickly finds a handy surrogate to latch on to. It's more instinct than anything.

BUT I can also see how it enriches the overall storyline and how it plays up the duality between the alien Queen losing her brood and Ripley losing her own, it's just that - as with the badass sentry guns - the good stuff is outweighed by far too much bloat IMO and drags the movie down. Would I like to have the daughter and sentry gun subplots restored with almost everything else in the SE jettisoned? Yep, and I've managed to do just that with the branching files on the Aliens Blu-ray. But as I won't be able to do that with any eventual UHD - presuming that it's branched to include both cuts, I'd need to upgrade my whole computer setup to rip it - then it'd better have the theatrical on there!
Old 01-11-2019, 10:25 PM   #773
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister_M View Post
The main difference for me is the ending. Theatrical seems like a half-assed throwaway, the extended one actually presents a genuine threat instead of just a brief "humans r bad" "oh go on we're not that bad" blip of psychic chit-chat.
For my money they never quite worked out the problems with the ending either way, I don't mean any physical filmmaking problems but more the whole angle of it. The theatrical is a bit weird, but I guess it can be resolved by having the aliens reveal themselves to humanity because Bud has proved our 'worth' by sacrificing himself for them (plus the Deepcore crew, obvs).

The SE "fulfils the original goals of the script" according to Cameron himself but that switch from a self-contained story into this world-ending showdown feels completely at odds with the taut, tense 2Ĺ hours of murky claustrophobia that preceded it, and when they cut to this bright California beach with hilarious '80s fashions all over the place it badly dates it as well. I know that it had a lot of post-production issues which is why they cut it out but even so, when you can literally remove the ****ing ending of your film and it still kinda works then it may not have been that important to begin with, you know?

But, in this case, the good FAR outnumbers the bad and I love the SE just for the Linda Ronstadt singalong on its own.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:26 PM   #774
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2008

Oh I agree that it can be argued both ways, but I find it to be a bit too much on the nose.
That said, the Aliens SE doesn't bother me in the same way as the T2 SE.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:30 PM   #775
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I've actually come around to the T2 SE in recent years. The theatrical IS Cameron's true "director's cut", make no mistake, but the Reese callback is gold and that chip removal scene is an absolute masterpiece of old-school Hollywood knowhow.
Thanks given by:
grodd (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:31 PM   #776
Special Member

Sep 2011
Northern CA

Quote:
Love love the ending since it changes everything, but dang....it gets long in the middle.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:31 PM   #777
Power Member

Dec 2009

Quote:
I'm not sure it was the intended theatrical cut. Some have speculated that the CBS cut is nearer to what the original version was, and when Cameron got a chance to do the longer cut for home video he added in more scenes on top that simply weren't necessary to tell the story in any way, shape or form. The "anecdotal" stuff, as he calls it in his T2 SE liner notes.

In any case, while I won't be sad if the UHD of Alien drops the DC, I'll be hopping mad if the theatrical cut of Aliens is left out of the UHD because I can't stand the SE version of that film. Moves slower than a ****ing glacier. Don't get me wrongo, that's the first film's bag and I like it, but it just feels wrong taking sooooooooo long to get going on film #2.
Man, I am the complete opposite. The Aliens SE is THE movie I point to when I need an example of flawless pacing in a genre movie. Itís perfect to me. The build-up is EVERYTHING.
Thanks given by:
grodd (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:32 PM   #778
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainofj72 View Post
Man, I am the complete opposite. The Aliens SE is THE movie I point to when I need an example of flawless pacing in a genre movie. Itís perfect to me. The build-up is EVERYTHING.
The less Aliens the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grodd View Post
Love love the ending since it changes everything, but dang....it gets long in the middle.
The more Abyss the better.

Boy, aren't I ever the contrarian?
Old 01-11-2019, 10:35 PM   #779
Power Member

Feb 2012
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Nonsense.

I'm not saying it is. But the knowledge that Ripley has lost her daughter adds a whole extra level to her relationship with Newt that makes Ripley's arc feel more narratively complete when Newt calls Ripley "Mommy" at the end of the film. The entire film is about motherhood and Ripley learning of Amanda's death is not just necessary for her character but it has thematic importance as well. Ripley starts the film as a mother who has lost her child but ends it as an adoptive mother to Newt and also ties into how those two characters "save" each other; Ripley literally saves Newt from the Aliens while Newt figuratively saves Ripley from her grief and guilt over Amanda's death.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:37 PM   #780

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
You feel that way despite Disney repeatedly saying, quite clearly, that it's never going to happen, for the same reason it hasn't happened before?
When has Disney, or anyone at Lucasfilm since they were bought by Disney, ever even once said this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noremac Mij View Post
George sold Star Wars to Disney. There was a contract. The contract had clauses. Donít hold your breath for theatrical cuts
We have no way of knowing what the clauses were, if there even were any. Why would a company pay 4.05 billion dollars for another company if they couldnít even have access to some of its greatest assets?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies