Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Predator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Tomb Raider 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Glass 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Robin Hood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Deadpool 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Creed II 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
The Greatest Showman 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Kin 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
The Meg 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
The Darkest Minds 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2019, 04:40 AM   #441
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Let's revisit your observation, when you are playing your CXUHD, which of the three videos is close to what your does with that Redbox DVD.

I am using three youtube BD player videos, because describing discs grinding could be different things.

Panasonic DMP BD30 grinding noise - YouTube
listen to 0.37 time point

PS4 Blu-Ray drive grinding sounds - YouTube
listen to 0.25 time point

LG UP970 Blu-Ray Player buzzing noise - YouTube
listen to 0.39 time point
THANK YOU for offering a level-headed, focused reply to this issue.

I'm going to listen to those noises in the attached video and get back...

And just to be clear, John: The player is making a similar noise with OTHER DVDs; it wasn't just the Redbox rental.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:46 AM   #442
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
May 2016
Default

Okay...

My player isn't making the noises on any of those videos, John; actually, my Panasonic DMP-BD10A in my bedroom (more than a decade old now) makes a noise similar to the Panny in the FIRST video when Blu-rays are loading in it, but I just chalked this up to the player being so OLD...

I rented another DVD for tonight from Redbox, Operation Finale, and I will let you know if it does the same thing; but the noise is much more subtle than what was exhibited in those video clips...it's like a soft grinding/chattering noise as a DVD is playing.

As I have stated multiple times, this does NOT happen (so far) with Blu-rays or UHD Blu-rays -- ONLY certain DVDs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:35 AM   #443
BLMN BLMN is offline
Power Member
 
Feb 2011
Southern NH
397
37
7
Default

@intellivolume I have no idea why you quoted me along with John AV, I did agree with his comment about SD tho but was never personal against you. Anyways my opinion about SD won’t change so True I have very few DVDs left just the ones that were never released on Blu-ray or UHD. I wasn’t already a big fan of DVD on 1080p screens it’s even worse now on 4K imagine with 8K screens then. IMO It’s definitely time to fase out SD.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:06 PM   #444
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
@intellivolume I have no idea why you quoted me along with John AV, I did agree with his comment about SD tho but was never personal against you. Anyways my opinion about SD won’t change so True I have very few DVDs left just the ones that were never released on Blu-ray or UHD. I wasn’t already a big fan of DVD on 1080p screens it’s even worse now on 4K imagine with 8K screens then. IMO It’s definitely time to fase out SD.
Just seemed like you were piling on with regard to how he felt personally about me (a recurring theme).

Thanks for clarifying your stance.

As for DVD, unfortunately we still rent a TON of this type of media (from Redbox) -- as a matter of fact, we rented at least three titles this week that weren't available on Blu-ray in my location -- and I own a massive library of standard def discs that I couldn't possibly begin to replace en masse. A title here and there? Sure. But not the whole thing. As such, I need hardware that can at least scale the 480 resolution decently.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:12 PM   #445
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
May 2016
Default

The CXUHD made noise, yet again, with my DVD rental of Operation Finale, and now I'm dealing with a "DTS MA bomb" noise that occurred when we watched the Blu-ray version of Equalizer 2 last night -- around the time when Sam tells McCall in the back of the Lyft car about the evidence concerning his painting, my system was rocked by a MASSIVE "booming" noise that seemed to originate somewhere near the center channel speaker (though I can't be sure).

I replayed the scene to ensure this wasn't coming from perhaps somewhere in our house, and the same thing happened. It reminded me of the "DTS bomb" folks used to talk about in the beginning of Blu-ray's launch, wherein certain Master Audio-equipped titles would create a loud pop or bang upon the tracks being bitstreamed from early players to early receivers, though I never experienced that with my older first generation gear.

If it wasn't bad enough that I got a lemon of a TV, now it looks like the CXUHD is going to have to go back for all these issues.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:44 PM   #446
HDTV1080P HDTV1080P is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jan 2007
95
Default

You could always try a Pioneer UDP-LX500, Sony UBP-X800, or Sony UBP-X800ES (adds DolbyVision HDR) which are very quit players.


However exchanging the Cambridge might fix the issue since the OPPO UDP-203 is very quiet 99% of the time and uses the exact same BD-ROM drive as the Cambridge.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #447
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
You could always try a Pioneer UDP-LX500, Sony UBP-X800, or Sony UBP-X800ES (adds DolbyVision HDR) which are very quit players.


However exchanging the Cambridge might fix the issue since the OPPO UDP-203 is very quiet 99% of the time and uses the exact same BD-ROM drive as the Cambridge.
I must have gotten a lemon with my CXUHD, as I did with the Samsung NU8000; what are the chances? Gotta be a million to one...

I'm more worried about this loud "bang/pop" noise that was exhibited when watching the Blu-ray version of Equalizer 2 last night (running the DTS-HD MA soundtrack); I NEVER experienced ANYTHING like that in all the years I had my original gear, but it could be the old Onkyo A/V receiver I'm using.

I don't know anymore.

Thanks for your suggestions; I've dispatched an email to Cambridge about it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:21 PM   #448
RalphoR RalphoR is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
RalphoR's Avatar
 
Oct 2013
The Forbidden Valley of NE Ohio
5
Default

At this point, if you're under warranty, I'd swap it out for a new one. If you still want a CXUHD but for cheaper I'd be happy to sell you my perfectly working unit at a reasonable price
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:36 PM   #449
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphoR View Post
At this point, if you're under warranty, I'd swap it out for a new one. If you still want a CXUHD but for cheaper I'd be happy to sell you my perfectly working unit at a reasonable price
I'm not sure if the loud bang/pop noise I heard last night was because of the player or something else; Cambridge doesn't seem to want to swap the player for me, though I am still under factory warranty.

Thanks for your offer of selling your unit; why do you want to get rid of it?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:39 PM   #450
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
May 2016
Default

Oh, and as an aside, for those who may be thinking I'm making these "noise when playing DVDs problems" up or otherwise padding these issues just to complain about something, below is a private message I received just a little while ago from a member here (of course I am going to keep it anonymous for his privacy) regarding the Oppo UHD disc players and his experience with them in these matters:

Hello there,

I had just read a couple of your posts regarding your Cambridge CXUHD's DVD playback noise and if it's any consolation at all, I too have experienced this vibration, grinding operational noise with my OPPO 205 & to a lesser extent my 203, abit disappointed I might add as these OPPO's have always been touted as whisper quiet and a nice quiet drive mechanism which for the most part is true yes but still disappointing all the same with selected dvd discs that I have tried

I original had Denon's last semi Flagship DVD player the DVD-3930 which vibrated excessively with alot of discs which was unacceptable for such a so called Flagship product.

I'm not quite buying the whole "Out of Spec" statement because I have had cheaper players that were whisper quiet with these troublesome discs, although I understand each transport can and is different with regards to their tolerance threshold of playing these so called "Out of Spec" DVD discs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:48 PM   #451
RalphoR RalphoR is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
RalphoR's Avatar
 
Oct 2013
The Forbidden Valley of NE Ohio
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
I'm not sure if the loud bang/pop noise I heard last night was because of the player or something else; Cambridge doesn't seem to want to swap the player for me, though I am still under factory warranty.

Thanks for your offer of selling your unit; why do you want to get rid of it?
I really have no reason to sell it. It's been great. I truly would only consider it to get a Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 and that's just because I like the brand.

If your issue is just with DVDs then I would not be very concerned about the noise factor. If you don't have another DVD player you can watch them on your computer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:52 PM   #452
LordoftheRings LordoftheRings is offline
Special Member
 
LordoftheRings's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
Portishead ♫
Default

That Pioneer Elite Universal 4K BR player is a gorgeous looking built tank.
...And the Oppo 205, of course.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:02 PM   #453
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphoR View Post
I really have no reason to sell it. It's been great. I truly would only consider it to get a Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 and that's just because I like the brand.

If your issue is just with DVDs then I would not be very concerned about the noise factor. If you don't have another DVD player you can watch them on your computer.
Yes, it's ONLY (thus far) been random DVDs that make noise -- not Blu-rays or the one 4K Blu-ray I own. Cambridge is kind of suggesting, via their last email to me, that perhaps it's the condition of the rented DVDs that are causing the player's laser to act up, but I don't buy that either because it's happening on DVDs from MY collection that I know have been handled meticulously (they're not scratched or damaged, at all).

At any rate, it's not to the point that I'd consider watching DVDs on another player or -- gasp! -- on my computer, but I'm just aggravated because this was a PREMIUM product that we paid a good deal of money for (considerably more than what the Oppo 203 originally went for). I don't understand why we have to "just live" with quirks like this from expensive gear...
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:04 PM   #454
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
That Pioneer Elite Universal 4K BR player is a gorgeous looking built tank.
It sure has the looks; unfortunately, it's out of most enthusiasts' budget.

Quote:
...And the Oppo 205, of course.
Unfortunately, not available new anymore...
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:07 PM   #455
RalphoR RalphoR is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
RalphoR's Avatar
 
Oct 2013
The Forbidden Valley of NE Ohio
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Yes, it's ONLY (thus far) been random DVDs that make noise -- not Blu-rays or the one 4K Blu-ray I own. Cambridge is kind of suggesting, via their last email to me, that perhaps it's the condition of the rented DVDs that are causing the player's laser to act up, but I don't buy that either because it's happening on DVDs from MY collection that I know have been handled meticulously (they're not scratched or damaged, at all).

At any rate, it's not to the point that I'd consider watching DVDs on another player or -- gasp! -- on my computer, but I'm just aggravated because this was a PREMIUM product that we paid a good deal of money for (considerably more than what the Oppo 203 originally went for). I don't understand why we have to "just live" with quirks like this from expensive gear...
I get it for sure but if it's going to err on something DVDs are a much better choice than bds or 4k discs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:15 PM   #456
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphoR View Post
I get it for sure but if it's going to err on something DVDs are a much better choice than bds or 4k discs.
True, and if that were the case, I'd certainly be demanding some kind of exchange (as then the player would be malfunctioning with nearly ALL media, if all three tended to exhibit noise) but still, I wish it didn't malfunction at ALL.

Now, as I stated in a previous post, I'm getting a shockingly loud "banging" noise, evidenced when I played Equalizer 2's regular Blu-ray and its DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack...this COULD be the bitstreamed signal acting weird with my old Onkyo 605 AVR, but it could also be the Cambridge doing something to the signal. All I know is that this is the FIRST Blu-ray and Master Audio track that has behaved this way in my system...
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:09 AM   #457
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
May 2016
Default

Any CXUHD owners running the up-to-date firmware? I just hooked the player up to my Wi Fi/wireless router (well, selected it in the menus, is what I mean) and it announced the player was due for an update (I was running the out-of-box version, which must have been outdated). I did the update, but I'm not sure if this addresses any "problems" the CXUHD may have been having...is this latest version addressing the HDR10+ support or removing "bearded dude" from the home screen?

Also -- does a complete factory reset NEED to be performed after doing the update? I know Oppo used to suggest to me that I do it anytime I updated the BDP-83, but is it necessary with current pieces of hardware such as the CXUHD?

I'm also experiencing -- using the player since only this past Halloween -- a dying/dead backlit keypad on the remote (just discovered this today). Anyone else's CXUHD remote either die prematurely or have the batteries go that quick, rendering the backlight not usable?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:35 PM   #458
RalphoR RalphoR is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
RalphoR's Avatar
 
Oct 2013
The Forbidden Valley of NE Ohio
5
Default

What firmware version did you download?

I've never done a factory reset after upgrading the firmware/software before so I'd be interested as well if anyone knows if it's recommended.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:56 PM   #459
JohnAV JohnAV is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester
655
211
31
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Any CXUHD owners running the up-to-date firmware? I just hooked the player up to my Wi Fi/wireless router (well, selected it in the menus, is what I mean) and it announced the player was due for an update (I was running the out-of-box version, which must have been outdated). I did the update, but I'm not sure if this addresses any "problems" the CXUHD may have been having...is this latest version addressing the HDR10+ support or removing "bearded dude" from the home screen?

Also -- does a complete factory reset NEED to be performed after doing the update? I know Oppo used to suggest to me that I do it anytime I updated the BDP-83, but is it necessary with current pieces of hardware such as the CXUHD?

I'm also experiencing -- using the player since only this past Halloween -- a dying/dead backlit keypad on the remote (just discovered this today). Anyone else's CXUHD remote either die prematurely or have the batteries go that quick, rendering the backlight not usable?
Its normal for people to go into their player settings and look at the version of FW they have, such as CXUHD-56-0309. (April 10, 2018). The support URL details what this changed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:05 PM   #460
JohnAV JohnAV is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
JohnAV's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester
655
211
31
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphoR View Post
What firmware version did you download?

I've never done a factory reset after upgrading the firmware/software before so I'd be interested as well if anyone knows if it's recommended.
Its not essential, some like to do it after a FW update, so that any new default settings changes are accomplished. A FW update normally does that anyway.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:45 PM.