Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
11 hrs ago
Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99
10 hrs ago
Peanuts: Holiday Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
11 hrs ago
Knives Out 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Yesterday 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
11 hrs ago
Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
11 hrs ago
A Star Is Born 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
12 hrs ago
The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Shining 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.99
12 hrs ago
The Matrix Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 12-24-2018, 02:18 PM   #321
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatson View Post
Is there something I can watch or download and show on the TV that will give me a true 4K resolution type image?
There are a few 4K demos on-line, a Google search will bring up a few. I'd try some of the manufacturer store demos. They're usually pretty good.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:55 AM   #322

Feb 2018
Alaska

What brightness settings should I be using for SDR content? I have an X900F, and so far I've been using the same settings I use for HDR, but with the ambient auto dimmer on. It looks pretty good to my eyes, but am I doing it wrong? I'm I losing PQ by allowing the TV to set how bright it gets?
Old 02-10-2019, 12:18 AM   #323
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2017

I finally got my 4K/3D setup for my living room.
I have an LG 55UB8500 set along with a Samsung UBD-K8500 player. I got a sweet deal on both so I grab the opportunity.
I used my T2 Blu-ray to calibrate the screen after removing stuff like TruMotion and other extras.
What I noticed is that the picture looked different than the Samsung 3D HDTV that I used to have in the living room but moved to my master bedroom when running through my cable service.
I have several Ultra HD Blus, one of them being First Man and I want to make sure that I'm making the right moves for the best experience possible as I have not tested UHD discs yet.

Also, any other tips or advice for this TV or player and how to get the best from both are welcome as well.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:55 AM   #324
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Bakersfield, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by obligatory_username View Post
What brightness settings should I be using for SDR content? I have an X900F, and so far I've been using the same settings I use for HDR, but with the ambient auto dimmer on. It looks pretty good to my eyes, but am I doing it wrong? I'm I losing PQ by allowing the TV to set how bright it gets?
Hope you come back to see this.

I have a Sony as well, but it’s the 2016 Z9D.
Based on another member’s calibrated settings, I’m using Brightness at max for HDR. For my SDR preset mode, Brightness is at 9. SDR output should only top out at 100 nits. You may think this is too dark, my tv was set at 35 from the factory out-of-the-box. After a couple of days when I moved Brightness down to a 9, my eyes adjusted and it looks fine, even my wife says it’s good. No complaints about anything in SDR being dim. I can’t swear that 9 is 100 nits top on your model, but it’s a very good tv and has similar processor as the Z9D.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:32 PM   #325

Aug 2019

Hi all I have a sony x800 and a Samsung NU7400 50inch 4Kconnected with a audio quest pearl HDMI,and would like to know the best settings please as the pq quality on 4Ks looks a bit 'off'.my pq settings are -
Backlight 44
Brightness 0
Contrast 44
Sharpness 15
Colour 35
Tint (G/R) 0
Gamma ST.2084 2
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:44 PM   #326
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
Woodstock Georgia

When I was setting up my Sony for the first time I used the settings on Rtings as a starting point, then adjusted the different levels more to my liking. I don't show your set, but this one of these below should be pretty close, Good Luck.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sa...u7300/settings

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sa...u8000/settings
Old 08-08-2019, 03:12 PM   #327

Aug 2019

Thankyou,will give it a try.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:26 AM   #328

Oct 2019

I've read that if I run a 4K blu ray with a player on a FullHD screen, it will obviously only display FullHD.
But what if I want to play it on a 2K monitor, will it display it in 2K or only FullHD?
Old 11-21-2019, 12:21 AM   #329
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by XZ232 View Post
I've read that if I run a 4K blu ray with a player on a FullHD screen, it will obviously only display FullHD.
But what if I want to play it on a 2K monitor, will it display it in 2K or only FullHD?
It would be 1080p with some pillar-boxing if displayed 1:1 or slightly stretched if at native 2048.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:45 AM   #330

Nov 2019
Default Just Upgraded to 4K. Need Help!

So I just bought a Sony 65Ē X900F, a UBPX700 4K player, and HTX9000F soundbar system and subwoofer. I just have some questions regarding setup. Purchased Sony because although I have some 4K discs, most of my collection is on Blu ray and Iíve been told the X900F and X700 will do well with upscaling 1080p. A good friend of mine who works in the industry has used Sony for years and convinced me to go with that brand. I am not picking anything up until this weekend and am still debating whether I should exchange the X900F for the 2019 X950G. My first question to those who can offer any advice: is it worth it to just get the X950G for $300 more?

Secondly, and more importantly I am curious as to how I should have everything connected. I mostly watch movies, but I also game time to time and want to be able to incorporate my PS4 into the setup. Can anyone offer suggestions on how to best connect everything? I am assuming I will need to buy 4K HDMI cables as well to support the 4K content. Should I also be looking at investing in a receiver or will the soundbar and subwoofer be suitable? I am new to this and want to make sure I am utilizing the technology as best as I can. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:34 AM   #331

Nov 2012
Pittsburgh, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaKid View Post
So I just bought a Sony 65Ē X900F
[Show spoiler], a UBPX700 4K player, and HTX9000F soundbar system and subwoofer. I just have some questions regarding setup. Purchased Sony because although I have some 4K discs, most of my collection is on Blu ray and Iíve been told the X900F and X700 will do well with upscaling 1080p. A good friend of mine who works in the industry has used Sony for years and convinced me to go with that brand. I am not picking anything up until this weekend and am still debating whether I should exchange the X900F for the 2019 X950G. My first question to those who can offer any advice: is it worth it to just get the X950G for $300 more?

Secondly, and more importantly I am curious as to how I should have everything connected. I mostly watch movies, but I also game time to time and want to be able to incorporate my PS4 into the setup. Can anyone offer suggestions on how to best connect everything? I am assuming I will need to buy 4K HDMI cables as well to support the 4K content. Should I also be looking at investing in a receiver or will the soundbar and subwoofer be suitable? I am new to this and want to make sure I am utilizing the technology as best as I can. Any help is greatly appreciated.
For connections, you'll want high speed HDMI cables (at least 18 gbps).
Additionally, because you are using a sound bar, you'll have to use the TV's ARC HDMI to the soundbar, so you'll lose one input. That leaves you with 2 in the back and 1 on the side. Is that going to be enough, that will be your call?
Old 12-05-2019, 11:51 AM   #332

Nov 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by waff View Post
For connections, you'll want high speed HDMI cables (at least 18 gbps).
Additionally, because you are using a sound bar, you'll have to use the TV's ARC HDMI to the soundbar, so you'll lose one input. That leaves you with 2 in the back and 1 on the side. Is that going to be enough, that will be your call?
So one would connect to the sound bar. I would need 1 for the 4K player and 1 additional for the PS4. All four support 4K HDR and HDCP 2.2, however it appears ports 2 and 3 support higher bandwidth sources. Iím wondering which ports to use for which device. If ports 2 & 3 support 60fps with 4K HDR, while 1 & 4 do 30fps with 4K HDR, should the gaming console and soundbar be connected to 2 and 3 and the 4K player to 1 or 4? Iíve heard the 4K player would be fine on 1 or 4 but want to make sure when Iím using it Iím getting true HDR through those ports.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:32 PM   #333

Nov 2012
Pittsburgh, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaKid View Post
So one would connect to the sound bar. I would need 1 for the 4K player and 1 additional for the PS4. All four support 4K HDR and HDCP 2.2, however it appears ports 2 and 3 support higher bandwidth sources. Iím wondering which ports to use for which device. If ports 2 & 3 support 60fps with 4K HDR, while 1 & 4 do 30fps with 4K HDR, should the gaming console and soundbar be connected to 2 and 3 and the 4K player to 1 or 4? Iíve heard the 4K player would be fine on 1 or 4 but want to make sure when Iím using it Iím getting true HDR through those ports.
I think I'd hook the game console up to the 60fps port, because I assume there's more games that support that than 4K movies. So:

Ports 1 or 4 - UHD player
Port 2 - Console
Port 3 - ARC to Soundbar
Old 12-05-2019, 12:47 PM   #334

Jul 2012

I was excited to give a UHD a try with all the killer sales recently- since I have an Xbox One S. However I have an older 4k Sony 55x850B, without HDR... and when I first put in Wizard of Oz- jeeze it didn't look good. I have been playing upscaled blu-rays which look great- but watching an HDR disc on a 4K TV without the capability is very underwhelming. I can see the resolution is there, but the colors are muted and the picture is dim. Adjusting the picture didn't help much. A standard blu-ray still looks better- so luckily all the new UHD movies I have include a blu-ray copy. I don't plan on upgrading TVs for a while, because I have the Sony for the 3D mostly. To me the ability to play 3D discs is greater than ability to play HDR... as I've always been pretty happy watching a blu-ray with a good transfer.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:28 PM   #335

Nov 2012
Pittsburgh, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhanlen1 View Post
I was excited to give a UHD a try with all the killer sales recently- since I have an Xbox One S. However I have an older 4k Sony 55x850B, without HDR... and when I first put in Wizard of Oz- jeeze it didn't look good. I have been playing upscaled blu-rays which look great- but watching an HDR disc on a 4K TV without the capability is very underwhelming. I can see the resolution is there, but the colors are muted and the picture is dim. Adjusting the picture didn't help much. A standard blu-ray still looks better- so luckily all the new UHD movies I have include a blu-ray copy. I don't plan on upgrading TVs for a while, because I have the Sony for the 3D mostly. To me the ability to play 3D discs is greater than ability to play HDR... as I've always been pretty happy watching a blu-ray with a good transfer.
I use this:

https://www.hdfury.com/product/integ...60-444-600mhz/

It allows the HDR to be processed to the television even though the TV may not be HDR compatible. I would say it's likely artificial HDR of sorts (or likely not at all, but it's doing some kind of magic), but it definitely makes a difference.
Thanks given by:
mhanlen1 (12-05-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #336

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by waff View Post
I use this:

https://www.hdfury.com/product/integ...60-444-600mhz/

It allows the HDR to be processed to the television even though the TV may not be HDR compatible. I would say it's likely artificial HDR of sorts (or likely not at all, but it's doing some kind of magic), but it definitely makes a difference.
Nice. Iíve perused their stuff before- but looks like that device is discontinued and a $300 has taken its place. At that point Iíd upgrade to an HDR set and move the Sony to a second room.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Tags
4k tv, display port, hdmi, uhd