Best 4K Blu-ray Deals


Cyber Monday Deals are Now Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Star Trek 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99
2 hrs ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Braveheart 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Gremlins 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Overlord 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99
 
The Purge: 3-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
 
Black Hawk Down 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.45
 
The Matrix Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99
 
Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Jurassic World: 5-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2019, 12:39 PM   #541
Bill C Bill C is offline
Active Member
 
Jan 2018
Michigan
5
Default

Thinking about buying this. How hard is it to use and how much would it benefit me ? I'm past a beginner but way shy of a pro. I have a lg. 65sk80 tv. and a lg. 4k player 90. Thank you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:37 PM   #542
stigdu stigdu is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
stigdu's Avatar
 
Mar 2010
Surrey, UK
260
1029
256
4
Default

I had it but sold it on as I think it's geared more towards professional calibrators.

Excellent disc with a plethora of options and some stunning 4k footage, but way too complicated for me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:48 PM   #543
Keenan Keenan is offline
Member
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Nov 2014
Santa Rosa, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Good idea. Similarly how about a test to show whether 25fps or 50fps content is being converted to 60fps by the display.
And whether or not the signal path is correctly playing true 24.0 fps as opposed to forcing 23.967 frame rate playback on it. Netflix seems to be creating more and more content with a true 24.0 frame rate and when using devices that ignore that framerate there's a frame skip/glitch about every 40 secs or so.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
mrtickleuk (10-29-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 09:03 PM   #544
IntelliVolume IntelliVolume is offline
Banned
 
May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stigdu View Post
I had it but sold it on as I think it's geared more towards professional calibrators.

Excellent disc with a plethora of options and some stunning 4k footage, but way too complicated for me.
That's how I felt about their previous Blu-ray calibration disc -- which came in the box with my Oppo BDP-83 -- save for the sharpness pattern, if I recall correctly, which helped me dial in that parameter pretty effectively.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:33 PM   #545
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Blu-ray King
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
491
1727
5
17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
And whether or not the signal path is correctly playing true 24.0 fps as opposed to forcing 23.967 frame rate playback on it. Netflix seems to be creating more and more content with a true 24.0 frame rate and when using devices that ignore that framerate there's a frame skip/glitch about every 40 secs or so.
Oooooh that's a pet hate of mine. Not that I watch Netflix but that subtle frame drop when you have 23.98 forced as 24 or vice versa really pisses me off.

The trouble with using a disc to gauge it, even on a UHD player with the Netflix app, is that the video processing path the disc takes isn't always exactly the same as what the app takes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:58 PM   #546
Keenan Keenan is offline
Member
 
Keenan's Avatar
 
Nov 2014
Santa Rosa, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Oooooh that's a pet hate of mine. Not that I watch Netflix but that subtle frame drop when you have 23.98 forced as 24 or vice versa really pisses me off.

The trouble with using a disc to gauge it, even on a UHD player with the Netflix app, is that the video processing path the disc takes isn't always exactly the same as what the app takes.
Yeah, I figured there would be some logistical signal path issues but I figured maybe smarter folks than I could come up with a solution.

On an up note, I picked up the new Nvidia Shield yesterday and it actually plays Netflix 24.0 fps content correctly. It requires a button press on each such title as it's a beta feature currently but that's a huge step given that the likes of Apple, Roku, and Amazon all seem to ignore the fact that 24.0 fps even exists, none of their devices handle it properly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:43 AM   #547
Stacey Spears Stacey Spears is offline
BD Test Disc Author
 
Mar 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
Thanks for asking! I'd love to see a new motion resolution test and a test to confirm 24p film based content is being frame rate converted to 48fps, 72fps or 96 fps by the display.
Hi Robert,

Thank you for the suggestions. This is on the disc today under Video Processing.

Motion Res. Half Cosine and Motion Res Square are our motion resolution patterns that cover from 0-18 pixels per frame.

xXx and Ticker are both 23.976p that will show if converted to higher rates using frame rate conversion. The motion blur will go away and they will become smooth. If played back at an integer rate vs. 23.976p, they will have a visible glitch every so often.

Last edited by Stacey Spears; 10-28-2019 at 12:50 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
mrtickleuk (10-29-2019), Robert Zohn (10-28-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 12:49 AM   #548
Stacey Spears Stacey Spears is offline
BD Test Disc Author
 
Mar 2008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
That's how I felt about their previous Blu-ray calibration disc -- which came in the box with my Oppo BDP-83 -- save for the sharpness pattern, if I recall correctly, which helped me dial in that parameter pretty effectively.
Technically that would be the previous-previous disc. The BDP-83 had our first BD disc. We shipped a 3D BD disc (2nd Edition) four years later and then the UHD HDR edition five years after that.

The first batch of Atmos test signals we created this week. Hoping to encode them next week and then they will be tested. Once those are finished, then the matching DTS:X versions will be created and encoded. They will cover 5.1.0 - 9.1.6.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Clark Kent (10-28-2019), Spartan21 (10-29-2019), TripleHBK (10-28-2019)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:57 PM.