Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Cyber Monday Deals are Now Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Star Trek 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99
2 hrs ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Braveheart 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Gremlins 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Overlord 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99

The Purge: 3-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Black Hawk Down 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.45

The Matrix Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Bumblebee 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Jurassic World: 5-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 10-27-2019, 12:39 PM   #541

Jan 2018
Michigan

Thinking about buying this. How hard is it to use and how much would it benefit me ? I'm past a beginner but way shy of a pro. I have a lg. 65sk80 tv. and a lg. 4k player 90. Thank you.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:37 PM   #542
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
Surrey, UK

I had it but sold it on as I think it's geared more towards professional calibrators.

Excellent disc with a plethora of options and some stunning 4k footage, but way too complicated for me.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:48 PM   #543

Nov 2014
Santa Rosa, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Good idea. Similarly how about a test to show whether 25fps or 50fps content is being converted to 60fps by the display.
And whether or not the signal path is correctly playing true 24.0 fps as opposed to forcing 23.967 frame rate playback on it. Netflix seems to be creating more and more content with a true 24.0 frame rate and when using devices that ignore that framerate there's a frame skip/glitch about every 40 secs or so.
Thanks given by:
mrtickleuk (10-29-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 09:03 PM   #544
Banned

May 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by stigdu View Post
I had it but sold it on as I think it's geared more towards professional calibrators.

Excellent disc with a plethora of options and some stunning 4k footage, but way too complicated for me.
That's how I felt about their previous Blu-ray calibration disc -- which came in the box with my Oppo BDP-83 -- save for the sharpness pattern, if I recall correctly, which helped me dial in that parameter pretty effectively.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:33 PM   #545
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
And whether or not the signal path is correctly playing true 24.0 fps as opposed to forcing 23.967 frame rate playback on it. Netflix seems to be creating more and more content with a true 24.0 frame rate and when using devices that ignore that framerate there's a frame skip/glitch about every 40 secs or so.
Oooooh that's a pet hate of mine. Not that I watch Netflix but that subtle frame drop when you have 23.98 forced as 24 or vice versa really pisses me off.

The trouble with using a disc to gauge it, even on a UHD player with the Netflix app, is that the video processing path the disc takes isn't always exactly the same as what the app takes.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:58 PM   #546

Nov 2014
Santa Rosa, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Oooooh that's a pet hate of mine. Not that I watch Netflix but that subtle frame drop when you have 23.98 forced as 24 or vice versa really pisses me off.

The trouble with using a disc to gauge it, even on a UHD player with the Netflix app, is that the video processing path the disc takes isn't always exactly the same as what the app takes.
Yeah, I figured there would be some logistical signal path issues but I figured maybe smarter folks than I could come up with a solution.

On an up note, I picked up the new Nvidia Shield yesterday and it actually plays Netflix 24.0 fps content correctly. It requires a button press on each such title as it's a beta feature currently but that's a huge step given that the likes of Apple, Roku, and Amazon all seem to ignore the fact that 24.0 fps even exists, none of their devices handle it properly.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:43 AM   #547
BD Test Disc Author

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
Thanks for asking! I'd love to see a new motion resolution test and a test to confirm 24p film based content is being frame rate converted to 48fps, 72fps or 96 fps by the display.
Hi Robert,

Thank you for the suggestions. This is on the disc today under Video Processing.

Motion Res. Half Cosine and Motion Res Square are our motion resolution patterns that cover from 0-18 pixels per frame.

xXx and Ticker are both 23.976p that will show if converted to higher rates using frame rate conversion. The motion blur will go away and they will become smooth. If played back at an integer rate vs. 23.976p, they will have a visible glitch every so often.

Last edited by Stacey Spears; 10-28-2019 at 12:50 AM.
Thanks given by:
mrtickleuk (10-29-2019), Robert Zohn (10-28-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 12:49 AM   #548
BD Test Disc Author

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
That's how I felt about their previous Blu-ray calibration disc -- which came in the box with my Oppo BDP-83 -- save for the sharpness pattern, if I recall correctly, which helped me dial in that parameter pretty effectively.
Technically that would be the previous-previous disc. The BDP-83 had our first BD disc. We shipped a 3D BD disc (2nd Edition) four years later and then the UHD HDR edition five years after that.

The first batch of Atmos test signals we created this week. Hoping to encode them next week and then they will be tested. Once those are finished, then the matching DTS:X versions will be created and encoded. They will cover 5.1.0 - 9.1.6.
Thanks given by:
Clark Kent (10-28-2019), Spartan21 (10-29-2019), TripleHBK (10-28-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology