Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$121.79
2 hrs ago
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Shaun of the Dead 4K / Hot Fuzz 4K / The World's End 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Knives Out 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$112.91
3 hrs ago
Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.28

The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Midway 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Mortal Engines 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.60
15 hrs ago
The Matrix Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 05-05-2018, 02:38 PM   #41

Mar 2008
Atlanta, GA
Send a message via Skype™ to stangeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevice View Post
Hello

is already available in stores in the U.S. America ???

what is the model ??? the UB820 or the UB824 ???

http://shop.panasonic.com/audio-and-...nd-dvd-players

Not available yet. I hear july release.
Thanks given by:
clevice (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 03:17 PM   #42
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2007

If I understand it correctly, the low latency DV is in the newest profile, it is not it's own profile. So I would hope if a source device is certified using the latest profile, it would work fine.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (05-05-2018), Robert Zohn (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 08:56 PM   #43
Power Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina

It has been 6 years since Panasonic updated their Adroid very limited BD app. Will pass on these new players unless any updated Panasonic app matches the Oppo, LG, Sony, etc. in capabilities.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:32 PM   #44
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwaylite View Post
If I understand it correctly, the low latency DV is in the newest profile, it is not it's own profile. So I would hope if a source device is certified using the latest profile, it would work fine.
There are multiple profiles. See https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...-92-171021.pdf. No this document doesn't cover anything that will let you deduce the current rumor mill, that is Off the record, on the QT, and very hush-hush.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 10:33 PM   #45
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Here's a few updates.

Yes, looks like my 1st UB820 allocation will be shipping by the end of July and September for the UB9000.

I tested the new 4K Dolby Vision HDR release of "Grease" in our UB820 pre-production sample and pressed the remote's "STATUS" button. Here's a pic of our Sony 2018 A8F which shows HDR (PQ) 4K/24p. I also tested the UB820 with the same disc on LG's C8 OLED and got the same status. So no Dolby Vision on my sample UB820.

I reminded Japan and the USA that we need Dolby Vision's Low Latency protocol and expect we will see that included in the mass production units.

I also requested the following video streaming apps to be included in the Smart hub along with all of the normal hobbyists speciality apps and all of the normal audio streaming apps:

- Netflix

- Amazon

- VUDU

- HULU

- Youtube

- Internet

Video and audio performance is everything you would expect from a Panasonic premium player.

Paramount did an excellent restoration and duplicating job on this classic movie. Great original cinematography looks so awesome viewed across our TV Shootout wall with all of the new high-end TVs.

Done right, film can be remastered to deliver deep blacks, excellent color fidelity and color saturation with realists high peak luminance. The new TV system's 10bit HDR gives this 4K BD the look of file with a perceived continuous tonal quality that up till now only film itself could deliver.

At the $499 all in price, the UB820 is the go to player for those who want the best price/performance UHD/HDR BD experience.
Thanks given by:
CYMBOL (05-06-2018), LordoftheRings (05-06-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 11:19 PM   #46
Special Member

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwaylite View Post
not so :: considerable confusion and misrepresentation

Dolby Vision :: while several profiles can be reported, until the 'Sony specific low-latency profile' there has only been '''''only one'''' 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Dolby Vision 'the original full profile' that all manufactures of displays/players used, until this 'highly misrepresent' Sony/Dolby Vision (specific profile)

seems interesting that 'many' are intentionally misrepresenting this simple 'fact'

it is an issue and will continue to be an issue

how about Sony just stop this nonsense and use the original profile (the single 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Dolby Vision 'the original full profile' that all manufactures of displays/players used), especially as even Sony will not have support for it's player for an 'indefinite time'
Thanks given by:
CYMBOL (05-06-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 11:39 PM   #47
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

It would be ideal if Panasonic, Sony, and others would make a info button database that showed the detailed information that one sees on the OPPO Blu-ray players. Only the OPPO players have that detailed information on the screen. Hopefully in the future other Blu-ray players well get that feature, but I have my doubts it well happen.
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (05-06-2018), LordoftheRings (05-06-2018), peterv (05-07-2018), Robert Zohn (05-05-2018), vjo81 (09-03-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 11:40 PM   #48
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

So, no Dolby out of the box. Not a surprise as people were saying elsewhere it was going to need a firmware update, date TBA. Looks like I don't need to rush out and get the 820 then.

As for Grease being an "excellent restoration", double meh to that.
Thanks given by:
gkolb (05-06-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 11:47 PM   #49
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
So, no Dolby out of the box. Not a surprise as people were saying elsewhere it was going to need a firmware update, date TBA. Looks like I don't need to rush out and get the 820 then.

As for Grease being an "excellent restoration", double meh to that.
Getting Dolby Vision to work correctly on a player will be new for them and take time to implement. It disables a lot of player control you had with HDR10 comparably.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:52 PM   #50
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibucha View Post
not so :: considerable confusion and misrepresentation

Dolby Vision :: while several profiles can be reported, until the 'Sony specific low-latency profile' there has only been '''''only one'''' 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Dolby Vision 'the original full profile' that all manufactures of displays/players used, until this 'highly misrepresent' Sony/Dolby Vision (specific profile)

seems interesting that 'many' are intentionally misrepresenting this simple 'fact'

it is an issue and will continue to be an issue

how about Sony just stop this nonsense and use the original profile (the single 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Dolby Vision 'the original full profile' that all manufactures of displays/players used), especially as even Sony will not have support for it's player for an 'indefinite time'

I mostly agree, but that's not my full understanding that I was told by Dolby and Sony.

From what I know Dolby did not tell Sony that if they incorporate the Low Latency protocol to the Dolby Vision main layer it would work with all other Dolby Vision capable devices, which as we now know if not correct. However, as we also know Apply was able to adopt Dolby Vision's low latency standards in one week with a firmware upgrade.

Further and most importantly and I hope I'm not releasing anything confidential, but just like some PC games uses Dolby Vision's Low Latency protocol Sony TVs have game consoles built in so all Play Station gamers need to do is use the controllers. Assuming Sony may add low latency (which gamers would love) to their game systems they would be ready for serious competitive gaming. So why should Sony give up on low latency when DV capable players should be able to easily update their systems.

Panasonic will very likely be low latency capable and of course Sony BD players will also be low latency enabled.

From time to time standards get upgrade and enhancements come to the market that should be a good thing and all connected devices need to ascend with the times. I expect OPPO to be low latency capable and I'll keep pushing for all HDMI connected devices to follow suite.
Thanks given by:
CYMBOL (05-06-2018), gkolb (05-06-2018), LordoftheRings (05-06-2018), Nothing371 (05-06-2018), Staying Salty (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 12:16 AM   #51
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

@Geoff D, you made me look more critically at the new 4K Grease BD release with OPPO's 205 on our showroom's recently calibrated 77" C8 and I love this restoration. I'm looking very close to the screen and see little to no unwanted anomalies and from normal viewing distances, which I consider to be 7' from the 77" screen it's truly stunning.

I have not read any reviews and maybe I shouldn't as this film looks beautiful to me on our best reference system. What don't you like?

Regarding the UB820's DV capability you are correct that we'er not likely to see it at launch, but I don't expect DV to be delayed by much time after the end of July release.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:49 AM   #52
Special Member

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
I mostly agree, but that's not my full understanding that I was told by Dolby and Sony.

From what I know Dolby did not tell Sony that if they incorporate the Low Latency protocol to the Dolby Vision main layer it would work with all other Dolby Vision capable devices, which as we now know if not correct. However, as we also know Apply was able to adopt Dolby Vision's low latency standards in one week with a firmware upgrade.
i am confused :: what is your full understanding (specifically please)

question :: is it not true that this 'low-latency profile' was originally 'specific to Sony displays, and currently is so?

Apple :: i am aware of the support of Apple as i have an Apple TV 4K player that was upgraded on day one to this support, although as i have and LG OLED it is of no consequence; the only benefit that i am currently aware of is if you own a Sony display (correct?) :: seems Apple has better support for Sony displays than Sony support for Sony displays (Dolby Vision)

question :: is it not so, that no 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player will display in Dolby Vision on any Sony display?

question :: do you know (currently) whether the Sony UBP-X700 (player) will support the 'Dolby Vision original full-profile' when it receives it's firmware update (Dolby Vision/someday?), meaning will it support "both" of the Dolby Vision 'profiles - specific to 4K Ultra HD players, or is it Sony's intention that Sony players only work with Sony displays?

question :: is it not so, that no other 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player (currently available) that features Dolby Vision will work with 'any' Sony display indicated as supporting Dolby Vision (yes :: i am quite aware of the fact that Sony displays currently only support Dolby Vision via 'streaming content'; correct?)

Last edited by jibucha; 05-06-2018 at 12:53 AM.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:06 AM   #53
Special Member

Feb 2007

Quote:

From time to time standards get upgrade and enhancements come to the market that should be a good thing and all connected devices need to ascend with the times. I expect OPPO to be low latency capable and I'll keep pushing for all HDMI connected devices to follow suite.
i understand your point :: however it's not applicable to this development

point :: the 'Sony specific low-latency profile' is Sony-centric :: if every manufacture did not use the available 'original full-profile' and required a 'manufacturer-specific profile' for their respective displays/players; what a mess the marketplace of consumer electronics would be; agree?

point :: 'Sony specific low-latency profile' is Sony-centric, it is not the pre-existing 'Dolby Vision original full-profile' that "all" manufactures were using, which "is the standard", with the exception of Sony (related); correct?

Oppo? :: mute point (they're going away and not relevant/representative)

Panasonic :: mute point (while their player 'might' have support for 'both' profiles, they seem to be 'taking over' for Oppo); correct? (they do not have consumer displays for the United States; correct?)

point :: to my knowledge (Samsung/ HDR10+) for Samsung displays :: (Sony/low-latency profile) for Sony displays :: simple enough?

point :: what i perceive Samsung/Sony doing is not in any way productive to the consumer and 'fragments the industry' unnecessarily

point :: no single manufacture should be 'requiring' other manufacturers to 'bend to their will' supporting their agenda
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 01:07 AM   #54
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
@Geoff D, you made me look more critically at the new 4K Grease BD release with OPPO's 205 on our showroom's recently calibrated 77" C8 and I love this restoration. I'm looking very close to the screen and see little to no unwanted anomalies and from normal viewing distances, which I consider to be 7' from the 77" screen it's truly stunning.

I have not read any reviews and maybe I shouldn't as this film looks beautiful to me on our best reference system. What don't you like?

Regarding the UB820's DV capability you are correct that we'er not likely to see it at launch, but I don't expect DV to be delayed by much time after the end of July release.
Oh, nothing major, just that the grain has been blitzed away for a big chunk of the movie, handled by a bargain-bin grain reduction algorithm that leaves trailing temporal junk behind. Perhaps it's best if we just leave that there, I don't want to inflict the attentions of both myself and jibucha on you in this thread. One of us is bad enough, but both? That's just mean. Take it away, jibsy!
Thanks given by:
HeavyHitter (05-06-2018), Robert Zohn (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 01:17 AM   #55
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

No, Low Latency is a Dolby Vision standard protocol that is available to any manufacturer that wants to add it. It was not developed for Sony or by Sony. Sony elected to use it as any DV licensee can.

I'm a retired TV Broadcast engineer and for the past 23 year own an authorized a/v retail store/custom integrator and we have all of the premium TVs in our showroom on display. I am a frequent presenter at CES, NAB, IBC, CEDIA and other video conferences.

Apple's support is not spicifically for Sony, they just have good support for all standards.

Yes, Sony's UBP-700 will support DV low latency and the UBP-700 will work on all TV brands and models that have DV enabled with and without low latency and of course HDR10 will work perfectly.

The problem is that no UHD/HDR BD player that is DV capable will display DV HDR on Sony's X1 Extreme TVs, they will show DV HDR content in the SMPTE HDR10 standard and as you said DV content streamed will display DV on Sony TVs that have X1 Extreme processors.

This issue is only related to BD players that support DV HDR and when playing a Dolby Vision HDR encoded disc to a Sony 2017 or 2018 Sony TV that has the Z1 Extreme processor. It does not effect any 4K HDR BD player when playing any disc including 4K HDR10 discs or any Sony TVs that has the X1 processor.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:22 AM   #56
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
I expect OPPO to be low latency capable and I'll keep pushing for all HDMI connected devices to follow suite.
They were the first to discuss the Sony DV requirements, and its still coming to the user community before other players.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 01:29 AM   #57
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Bakersfield, CA

Robert,

At one point I thought Sony communicated that their 2018 TV's would support Full Profile Dolby Vision?
Is this correct to your knowledge, OR if not which DV profile (s) will the 2018 Sony TV's handle?

And a second Q, do the 2018 Sony TV's have DV out of the box, or will DV be a later update for the 2018"s?
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 01:37 AM   #58
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkolb View Post
Robert,

At one point I thought Sony communicated that their 2018 TV's would support Full Profile Dolby Vision?
Is this correct to your knowledge, OR if not which DV profile (s) will the 2018 Sony TV's handle?

And a second Q, do the 2018 Sony TV's have DV out of the box, or will DV be a later update for the 2018"s?
I don't think that was the communication. they said "with support for Dolby Vision, Dolby’s proprietary HDR format."

It was generally assumed that Sony TV's would be like any other TV. When they announced a different method some people feathers were ruffled, and a few still are leaving their feathers all other the place!

Panasonic could go the same route with either profile to support their 2019 TV's. The UB820/9000 players will have to go through a lot of compatibility testing before release. More then the Oppo initially because the range of TV's supporting DV has increased.

Last edited by JohnAV; 05-06-2018 at 01:42 AM.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 01:53 AM   #59
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

To question 1, I'll check Monday and get back.

2nd item, I just checked and can't believe I forgot, DV is not enabled on 2018 Sony TVs at this time. I'll ask when the update is expected and get here with what they tell me.
Thanks given by:
gkolb (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 01:56 AM   #60
Special Member

Feb 2007

Quote:
No, Low Latency is a Dolby Vision standard protocol that is available to any manufacturer that wants to add it. It was not developed for Sony or by Sony. Sony elected to use it as any DV licensee can.
nice try :: sounds 'exactly like' the Samsung HDR10+ nonsense

Dolby Vision :: it is not (Sony) the 'standard protocol' that the industry previously & currently use; is that not true?

you're 'beating around the bush' (that's not the type of communication expected of someone with an broadcast engineering background)

please inform :: regarding the 'low-latency profile' (whom was using it prior to Sony? :: is it not so, that Apple was the first and only manufacturer to support it (even Sony does not currently, nor any other manufacturer for that matter)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Tags
panasonic, ub820, ub9000, value electronics