Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Knives Out 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
3 hrs ago
Star Trek 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Jack Reacher 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.99
14 hrs ago
Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.27

The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Boyz n the Hood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
7 hrs ago
Gremlins 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Matrix Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99

The Purge: 3-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Shutter Island 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
10 hrs ago
Midway 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 08-28-2019, 08:03 PM   #141
Banned

May 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
I mean ultimately, I don't think the Average Joe consumer really cares that much if they're getting what the filmmakers intends, they just care about what they like. People buy TVs based off torch mode settings on showroom floors, and if that's really what they like, a new Filmmaker Mode isn't gonna be more than a momentary curiosity. Anyway, I like the idea behind this whole thing but it's a waste of time for various reasons. If they don't want people using things like Vivid Mode or Motion Smoothing, just eliminate those functionalities.
It wouldn't really be for Joe Six Pack and his Sunday football buddies; this mode would be geared more for enthusiasts like us here who value an accurate image but also prefer a one-piece television system (rather than a projector setup) to do serious film-watching on.

Be nice to just select a picture mode and know that it's pretty accurate for film content out of the box. I know if a certain manufacturer offered this kind of mode in their displays, it would be one of the first brands I'd look to when shopping screens (if I could afford the brand at my preferred screen size).
Old 08-28-2019, 08:17 PM   #142

Nov 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
If people are gonna spend the money on these high-end TVs, they can spend a few minutes on Rtings to do a basic calibration. "Filmmaker Mode" just sounds like another useless preset tbh.
Uh....No! Thats the equivalent to putting chewed gum on a pipe to stop a leak.
Thanks given by:
sapiendut (09-05-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 08:49 PM   #143
Power Member

Jan 2008
New York City

I like Motion flow and I'll use this new setting but I'm not getting a new tv anytime soon. I like that ultra-real look but i get why some dont... to each his own. Its a nice idea.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:15 AM   #144
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
You can show us all the best filmmakers (and Shyamalan) telling us this is great when we all know the truth. Just calibrate the TV, ya lazy bums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
People would be better served by grabbing a Spears & Munsil disc and going about the basics that way. If they're gonna spend all that money on the TV then they might as well spend a few more simoleons on one of the best setup discs around. That's not a full calibration either but personally speaking I always feel better setting these things for myself rather than copying and pasting someone else's figures, which is all rtings is at the end of the day.
Then what do you recommend.

Last edited by Poya; 08-31-2019 at 03:27 AM.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:25 AM   #145

Aug 2019
Indiana, USA

Thank you to the OP. I don’t know anything about televisions, except for the things I have learned on this forum; therefore, I knew nothing about motion smoothing. I would usually do the opposite of anything that Tom Cruise tells me to do, but I read your posts and found out about your preference for turning it off. So, I found a handy-dandy YouTube video which told me how to turn off my new OLED C9’s Trumotion, and turned it off. Now, I will watch something and see if I can tell the difference.
Thanks given by:
IntelliVolume (08-31-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 04:36 AM   #146
Banned

May 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catnip View Post
Thank you to the OP. I donít know anything about televisions, except for the things I have learned on this forum; therefore, I knew nothing about motion smoothing. I would usually do the opposite of anything that Tom Cruise tells me to do, but I read your posts and found out about your preference for turning it off. So, I found a handy-dandy YouTube video which told me how to turn off my new OLED C9ís Trumotion, and turned it off. Now, I will watch something and see if I can tell the difference.
You're welcome.

This subject had been brought up before I began the thread in a different one, but I wasn't aware of that one until after I posted my words about it; at any rate, I actually use SOME motion smoothing on my Samsung NU8000 because leaving it totally off results in film judder with 24fps sources (film) that I can't get used to on an LCD.

As it stands, I leave my Samsung's BLUR REDUCTION (which is supposed to be for 60fps content, but which I think somehow "stabilizes" fast motion at any frame rate so I use it) at "10" on the scale (from 0 to 10), as this is where it was set by default in Movie picture mode, and leave the JUDDER REDUCTION (which is supposed to affect 24fps content) at "5" (on the same scale; by default, this was set at "3" by Samsung in the Movie mode). Using this Judder Reduction setting, I'm getting smooth motion but just a tiny tiny HINT (if any at all) of the soap opera effect (SOE).
Old 09-03-2019, 12:19 AM   #147
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
-
-
-
Send a message via ICQ to yellowcakeuf6

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
Kind of ironic that filmmakers now care about our TVs. I have a feeling though, sometime in the future someone will line up several different model TVs in "Filmmaker Mode" and there will be, uhh, differences.
I still like the idea, but does anyone else see troubles ahead?
I'll still start with a pro calibration, so...
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (09-05-2019), sapiendut (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 07:03 AM   #148
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Canada

Filmmaker mode is nothing more than a renaming of movie mode/ cinema pro mode/ pure cinema etc. A preset that’s been around since at least a decade ago. So much ado about nothing

https://www.wifihifi.ca/LatestNewsHe...makerMode.html
Thanks given by:
RageATL (09-23-2019), Robert Zohn (09-21-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 07:33 AM   #149
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Bakersfield, CA

Here’s one possible positive to this film maker push, IF it gets more home casual viewers to get more interest or enthusiasm in home 4K movie viewing (OR purchases of 4K UHD), then the sales of 4K discs could increase (probably not drastically), but it would help delay the switch to all streaming or downloading.

Not saying that the inevitable switchover would be stopped, just put off a little longer.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:00 PM   #150
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poya View Post

Then what do you recommend.
Get the basics nailed down with S&M Benchmark then give it a full calibration with a meter and measuring software.
Thanks given by:
Poya (09-08-2019), sapiendut (09-05-2019), yellowcakeuf6 (09-16-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 03:16 AM   #151
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Get the basics nailed down with S&M Benchmark then give it a full calibration with a meter and measuring software.
Neat. Any meters and software recommendations?
Old 09-20-2019, 10:34 PM   #152
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Canada

C6 HDR is the bare minimum for accurate reading
Old 09-20-2019, 11:37 PM   #153
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Quote:
Originally Posted by kong73 View Post
I like Motion flow and I'll use this new setting but I'm not getting a new tv anytime soon. I like that ultra-real look but i get why some dont... to each his own. Its a nice idea.
Thanks given by:
RageATL (09-23-2019), sapiendut (09-20-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 10:02 PM   #154
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2013

Why don't these Hollywood Big Shots do something about VUDU?

They apply sloppy loads of Motion Smoothing to all their video streams.

I wanted to check-out Wonder Woman in DV, but the fakey slickness killed it.

The worst thing about VUDU, is it's not even up the end user, you can't turn it off.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:08 PM   #155
Banned

May 2016

Stick to physical media.....
Thanks given by:
HeavyHitter (09-23-2019), ronboster (09-24-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology