Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$121.79
16 hrs ago
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Shaun of the Dead 4K / Hot Fuzz 4K / The World's End 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Knives Out 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.28

The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Midway 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Avengers: Endgame 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.96

Captain Marvel 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99

E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Matrix Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 10-03-2019, 09:31 AM   #81
Special Member

Feb 2007

suggestion? (possibly?)

in the Apple TV 4K

go to :: settings :: video :: turn on Dolby Vision?

note :: for myself (C7/Apple TV 4K) :: HDR (especially Dolby Vision/Netflix & Dolby Vision/iTunes) has 'always been simply outstanding'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Explorer View Post
Hi all, I am the proud new owner of a 55” C9!! Definitely stretched me financially but I decided it was time and GOD it’s gorgeous and worth it.

My questions here are largely Apple TV related, but I felt posting them here might get more specific answers re: settings.

The first few nights with the set I watched some UHDs, as well as some 4K content on Netflix and Prime (with the built in apps). I also briefly tested Vudu on webOS, to compare Aladdin streaming vs disc (disc looked better!). I got my settings down based off some recommendations online, though I may explore the advanced self calibration features I’ve seen mentioned at some point.

Now yesterday I decided to go out and grab an Apple TV 4K, so that I could use the MA app, CBS, HBO, History channel, etc. Also I hate the way ff and rw is handled on webOS.

Trying to set it up right has just about broken my brain. I compared scenes from Bohemian Rhapsody and Spider-Man Homecoming and it was all so inconsistent! Not only do multiple apps have different HDR versions, seemingly at random, but the video quality was highly variable.

The biggest headscratcher was iTunes. I’ve watched iTunes movies on other people’s lower end 4K TVs and it’s looked great. On my OLED both HDR10 and DV content was dark and not sharp, and for some reason even had some soap opera effect!!

MA different have any soap opera effect but still didn’t look great.

VUDU on webOS was the clear winner, so I guess I need to see how it looks on the Vudu Apple TV app.

I’d be fine going with Vudu because it seems to have the best DV selection, but I’m still puzzled/concerned that iTunes looked so bad, and of course makes me question how I have the whole device setup with my OLED in the first place!

Anyone have any insights?

Last edited by jibucha; 10-03-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:15 PM   #82
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Now yesterday I decided to go out and grab an Apple TV 4K, so that I could use the MA app, CBS, HBO, History channel, etc. Also I hate the way ff and rw is handled on webOS.

Trying to set it up right has just about broken my brain. I compared scenes from Bohemian Rhapsody and Spider-Man Homecoming and it was all so inconsistent! Not only do multiple apps have different HDR versions, seemingly at random, but the video quality was highly variable.

The biggest headscratcher was iTunes. I’ve watched iTunes movies on other people’s lower end 4K TVs and it’s looked great. On my OLED both HDR10 and DV content was dark and not sharp, and for some reason even had some soap opera effect!!
With the ATV4K first make sure you are updated to the most current TVOS software, set app’s to automatically update. Make sure in the video that both match are enabled.

As with the ATV4K make sure you check notifications on LG for webOS app updates. I assume you have ports connected have deep color enabled also on LG, used to be by default that was off.

Press the Settings button.
Scroll down to All Settings.
Navigate to the General tab.
Select HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color. ...
Enable the feature on the ports of your choosing.
Thanks given by:
jibucha (10-03-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 05:50 PM   #83

Oct 2008
Memphis, TN

My AVR is very old and does not have HDMI connections. Will the C9 via toslink connection transfer 2 channel stereo from HDMI sources connected to the TV?
Old 10-04-2019, 08:03 PM   #84
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmac29 View Post
My AVR is very old and does not have HDMI connections. Will the C9 via toslink connection transfer 2 channel stereo from HDMI sources connected to the TV?
You should be able to run optical out from LG to the optical input on your pre-HDMI AVR (ancient IMHO) and get 5.1 or stereo depending on the VoD host content or just TV.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:53 PM   #85

Oct 2008
Memphis, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
You should be able to run optical out from LG to the optical input on your pre-HDMI AVR (ancient IMHO) and get 5.1 or stereo depending on the VoD host content or just TV.
Thanks my current TV will only transmit the OTA signal to AVR. I have to connect RCA analog cables to my AVR to get sound from the HDMI input devices. 1 less cable to run.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:12 AM   #86
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Like JohnAV posted Toshlink should be fine, you don't have to use RCA cables, you just have to select the right option from the sound menu and make sure AVR's input is set to optical and not digital co-axial. In some cases you may have to change the TV's OTA audio signal, but there shouldn't be an issue.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:15 AM   #87

Jul 2015

I wish you could have the TV's native volume indicator used across all inputs when using a receiver. I've only had this work on Sony models and miss it so.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:00 PM   #88
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungus View Post
I wish you could have the TV's native volume indicator used across all inputs when using a receiver. I've only had this work on Sony models and miss it so.
You can with the LG, it just shows +/- when you change the volume instead of the volume number, but you need to choose an option to disable the on-board speakers.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:38 PM   #89
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007
College Station, TX

Quote:
Hi all, I am the proud new owner of a 55Ē C9!! Definitely stretched me financially but I decided it was time and GOD itís gorgeous and worth it.

My questions here are largely Apple TV related, but I felt posting them here might get more specific answers re: settings.

The first few nights with the set I watched some UHDs, as well as some 4K content on Netflix and Prime (with the built in apps). I also briefly tested Vudu on webOS, to compare Aladdin streaming vs disc (disc looked better!). I got my settings down based off some recommendations online, though I may explore the advanced self calibration features Iíve seen mentioned at some point.

The biggest headscratcher was iTunes. Iíve watched iTunes movies on other peopleís lower end 4K TVs and itís looked great. On my OLED both HDR10 and DV content was dark and not sharp, and for some reason even had some soap opera effect!!

MA different have any soap opera effect but still didnít look great.

VUDU on webOS was the clear winner, so I guess I need to see how it looks on the Vudu Apple TV app.

Iíd be fine going with Vudu because it seems to have the best DV selection, but Iím still puzzled/concerned that iTunes looked so bad, and of course makes me question how I have the whole device setup with my OLED in the first place!

Yes, take the Apple TV back and get a Roku.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:04 AM   #90

Oct 2019

Quote:
Hi all, I am the proud new owner of a 55Ē C9!! Definitely stretched me financially but I decided it was time and GOD itís gorgeous and worth it.

The first few nights with the set I watched some UHDs, as well as some 4K content on Netflix and Prime (with the built in apps). I also briefly tested Vudu on webOS, to compare Aladdin streaming vs disc (disc looked better!). I got my settings down based off some recommendations online, though I may explore the advanced self calibration features Iíve seen mentioned at some point.

The biggest headscratcher was iTunes. Iíve watched iTunes movies on other peopleís lower end 4K TVs and itís looked great. On my OLED both HDR10 and DV content was dark and not sharp, and for some reason even had some soap opera effect!!

MA different have any soap opera effect but still didnít look great.

Iíd be fine going with Vudu because it seems to have the best DV selection, but Iím still puzzled/concerned that iTunes looked so bad, and of course makes me question how I have the whole device setup with my OLED in the first place!

Wow, thatís surprising/weird. I canít really speak for C9 settings (only had the set for about a week), as for the Apple TV settings: set it to 4K SDR 60p and 4:4:4, with Match Dynamic Range and Match Frame Rate turned on. Other than that you should be golden as far as ATV video settings are concerned. Actually, on the ATV i think that iTunes has the best streaming quality compared to other available apps. Itís a little annoying they donít have a Match Resolution option, but otherwise the ATVís picture quality is as good (or better) as any other streaming service/device iíve tried (Roku, UHD players, and native apps). Donít forget that streaming always looks a little weak when compared to physical media.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #91
Special Member

Aug 2007

i have C9 which didn't look like a huge upgrade from B7 if i'm talking Netflix and movies experience however C9 does perform well with PC gaming @ 4k HDR 60fps , a pure joy compared to B7 which might sometimes break HDR or act weird for no reason
Old 10-18-2019, 07:28 AM   #92

Sep 2011
San Diego

I got a 65" LG C9 last week, upgrading from a 2010 Samsung 55" plasma. The impetus was that my 2 year old Onkyo receiver died, so I replaced it with a Denon 6500, and got new surge suppressors, HDMI cables, 4 more speakers (I now have a 7.2.4 setup), a Panasonic UB9000 Blu-ray player with Dolby Vision (DV), and an Apple TV 4K. I have a legacy TiVo, Wii U, and a Samsung M9500 4K Blu-ray player (no DV, but it's the only thing that can play MKV files).
I'm pleasantly surprised that the picture on the C9 is so much better than my plasma, even on broadcast TV played from my TiVo Roamio OTA. I can also get Dolby Atmos sound from the TV with the Amazon & Vudu apps.
I had a few minor issues with other components, but for the TV, my complaints are as follows (none are really important to me):
1. There's no comprehensive manual, even online. For example, I learned that to display the current resolution, you wake up the magic remote, point it at the top left corner, and click. I found this with Google after wading through contradictory instructions for this feature, but nowhere did I notice this in the official instructions.
2. The TV "helpfully" turns on other components despite my wishes. I see this randomly with the Apple TV (not even connected to the LG) and the receiver. I have auto power sync turned off (see photo 1 below). I can't turn off CEC or it will switch to internal speakers. If I switch the sound back to ARC, it turns CEC and auto power sync back on. I have "HDMI passthrough when off" tuned off in the Denon as well as all remote power switching options. Unfortunately, the enable ARC setting on the Denon also enables CEC. On the Apple TV there's only a setting for it to control other devices, not the other way around, and I have that switched off too.
3. Despite my naming HDMI 2 as "Denon," which it says when first turned on, the input is called "Kevin...s Appl" (see photo 2 below) on the TV dashboard, and the name for HDMI 2 is no longer editable. Again, the Apple TV is not connected at all to the LG, and it says this even when the Apple TV and Denon are off, and a different component was the last one used.
4. When I first turn on the TV, after powering up the receiver and component I want to use, the channels sidebar briefly appears. Why on earth do I want this? I'm watching a source from an outside component, not watching something internal to the LG.
5. The LG (and the Panasonic player) can't play MKV files on a USB drive, and can't see them at all on a network drive. For this reason alone I had to keep my Samsung player, which handles the files without issue.
None of these bugs keep me from enjoying the fantastic picture and sound from my new LG TV. I'll just ignore them unless an expert wants to come to my house and fix them
tv power settings.jpg
tv inputs sm.jpg

Last edited by kedavis; 10-19-2019 at 06:27 AM. Reason: correction
Old 10-18-2019, 10:27 AM   #93
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

To use ARC, you need CEC on in both the TV and the amp. There's no choice.

You can turn it off in whatever else you can, as it can be a nightmare as things turn on unwanted, and can cause interference to ARC even breaking it totally.

I had to use one of these between my Humax PVR and my Denon to get ARC working again.

I also have to turn CEC off in my Oppo as the volume sidebar would randomly pop up on the TV when watching discs.

I, touch wood, don't have issues with my Apple TV turning itself on.

So basically, CEC is a pain in the arse and turn it off in everything you can except the receiver and TV. Failing that (some things don't properly turn of CEC even if you tell it to) use something like the adaptor I suggest above.
Thanks given by:
kedavis (10-19-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 11:02 PM   #94
Special Member

May 2017
Earth v1.1, awaiting v2.0
Thumbs up Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner

LG E9 OLED TV Review: Impressive Sound + HGIG for HDR Gaming Explained

In the USA market, hard to beat this quality to value.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (11-06-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 03:10 AM   #95

Nov 2017
Default Thought this would be fitting to post here as you all are c9 experts and owners

Iíve had a Sony 930d 4K 65inch for awhile now and wanted to pull the trigger on the 65inch C9 LG. How much improved will the Pq be? Any burn issues with Xbox one games etc? Anything I would be aware of? Buy it or keep the Sony 930d and enjoy it and wait for next gen
Old 12-09-2019, 03:31 AM   #96
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011
Buffalo NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan Rated View Post
Iíve had a Sony 930d 4K 65inch for awhile now and wanted to pull the trigger on the 65inch C9 LG. How much improved will the Pq be? Any burn issues with Xbox one games etc? Anything I would be aware of? Buy it or keep the Sony 930d and enjoy it and wait for next gen
New models will be out in a few months, I would wait. Though there are great deals online lately for the C9.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:54 AM   #97
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Christmas is in two weeks...the C9 65" Class should be around two grands...authorized LG dealer.

Old 12-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #98

Nov 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
Christmas is in two weeks...the C9 65" Class should be around two grands...authorized LG dealer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzmK...ature=youtu.be
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mammoth View Post
New models will be out in a few months, I would wait. Though there are great deals online lately for the C9.
How much improved would the c9 be over my current sony930d tho in your opinion?
Old 12-10-2019, 01:53 AM   #99

Nov 2017

Bump anyone
Old 12-10-2019, 05:21 AM   #100
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2011
Reading, England

my black friday purchase finally showed up!

Thanks given by:
*manics* (12-10-2019), carpanafilms (Yesterday), Darth Marcus (Yesterday), evoll (12-10-2019), Geoff D (12-10-2019), Matthew.H (12-10-2019), ray0414 (12-10-2019), Robert Zohn (12-10-2019), Staying Salty (12-10-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Tags
lg 2019 oled, oled65c9pua, oled77c9pua, value electronics