Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$121.79
22 hrs ago
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Shaun of the Dead 4K / Hot Fuzz 4K / The World's End 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Knives Out 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Avengers: Endgame 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.96

Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.28

Captain Marvel 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99

Midway 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Matrix Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Yesterday 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 09-21-2019, 03:04 AM   #21
Power Member

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post
How’s that ^ going to work if Sony divests itself of Pictures? If Apple really needs a Hollywood studio, I think Lionsgate would be a more practical target.
John Wick 4: My iPhone is not bulletproof .
Old 09-21-2019, 08:53 AM   #22
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Michigan, USA, 35yo

My understanding is this is being blown a little out of proportion.

The report said that Apple is looking to buy *a* company. It then listed 10 different companies that could be a possibility, and Sony was on the list. Along with 9 other companies including some small rinky dink companies. Seemed media driven right from the start.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:26 AM   #23
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post

The report said that Apple is looking to buy *a* company. It then listed 10 different companies that could be a possibility, and Sony was on the list. Along with 9 other companies including some small rinky dink companies. Seemed media driven right from the start.
Yes - typical rumor - comments from Yahoo Finance which has a stellar reputation . . .right . . . .no.

Likely generated from Variety last year making 2019 predictions that Apple would shell out for Sony Pictures so they can have access to their library of films.

People just need to wait for the Sony vs Marvel to play out instead of assuming Apple would extend their business to encompass a film studio given the scrutiny of their business from Feds as a prime target for antitrust investigations.
Thanks given by:
ray0414 (09-22-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 10:12 AM   #24
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post

Be that as it may, the thought alone of Sony Pictures being bought by Apple is
Thanks given by:
ray0414 (09-22-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 06:18 PM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Daddyland

A few thoughts:

Apple has the best quality streaming and a commitment to quality far beyond that of Vudu or Movies Anywhere. So in that respect, if we're seeing the beginning of movie studios being gobbled up by streaming companies, you can choose a lot worse than Apple to acquire Sony.

The matter of physical media drying up is a concern, and Apple is hastening that. But the writing is on the wall and it will happen whether or not Apple owns a studio. I would be disappointed if Columbia releases on 4K ended but they would likely continue for a short time even if Apple made the acquisition, as there is always an integration period when companies are acquired.

Lastly, it would be incredibly stupid for Apple to buy a major movie studio right now. There are several antitrust and other investigations of Apple underway at both federal and state AG levels. Apple is trying to maintain a dominant market in devices, streaming, TV, GPS, augmented reality, biometrics, big data, voice recognition, face recognition, maps/GPS, etc., etc. Why would it want to add movie studios to that list at a time when the current administration and consumers are getting fed up?
Thanks given by:
Fasteddie516 (09-23-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 04:29 PM   #26
Retired Hollywood Insider

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
Be that as it may, the thought alone of Sony Pictures being bought by Apple is
Don’t fret about it as shareholders (I still have a stake in it) have been urging Sony Corp to dump the loser Xperia smartphone business for years and they’re too stubborn to do so.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:31 PM   #27
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post
Don’t fret about it as shareholders (I still have a stake in it) have been urging Sony Corp to dump the loser Xperia smartphone business for years and they’re too stubborn to do so.
Can you guess what brand phones I always buy?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology