Best 3D Blu-ray Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Hugo 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$33.49
1 day ago
Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection Vol. 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
 
Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.50
9 hrs ago
Paranormal Activity: The Ultimate Chills Collection (Blu-ray)
$45.61
9 hrs ago
Paravision Dreams: The Golden Age 3-D Films of Pine and Thomas (Blu-ray)
$28.00
3 hrs ago
Underworld: Awakening 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99
 
Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99
 
Piranha 3DD (Blu-ray)
$8.99
 
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$6.49
 
September Storm 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.35
23 hrs ago
The Maze 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.13
12 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Players, Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2023, 05:38 PM   #1
crazymanwitt crazymanwitt is offline
Active Member
 
crazymanwitt's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
200
1748
502
6
72
8
Default Sony KDL75 W855C - no 3D conversion, question about SBS playback

Recently got a new (used) Sony 3DTV to replace my previous 3DTV, and realised it doesnít support Simulated 3D only side by side and top and bottom, the glasses that came with the tv only work for native 3D not the other 3D modes, so the question is what 3D glasses do I need to view side by side 3D ? Any help Is much appreciated
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 01:45 PM   #2
lukas741 lukas741 is offline
Active Member
 
Apr 2011
Longueuil
Default

I would say 95% Active glasses...of course, depending on your model, I believe when SONY were first starting out they had experimented with their cheap, unsophisticated inferior-passive glasses and then quickly EVOLVED to ACTIVE glasses...THE BEST 3D EXPERIENCE EVER...but, it's funny that you say that about your SONY T.V. not being able to let you simulate other movies/t.v. shows (ex. Tv-Flash), I'm also having that SAME issue as well, and I have the best top-of-the-line (last) model Z9D from SONY...I did ask for HELP here as well, but no one cared to HELP me with that...anyway, good luck to you as well...
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 06:54 PM   #3
lukas741 lukas741 is offline
Active Member
 
Apr 2011
Longueuil
Default

DUDE I just finally called SONY...again, now spoke with a smart rep who stated the last firmware removed SIMULATED 3D...I went off...huh and wtf...really...I was pist...so, there it is, we can watch PHYSICAL 3D movies already purchased BUT, can no longer make anything into 3-D...isn't that a crime...are there any lawyers here? That was 1 of many selling points that convince me to purchase it...can we sue them?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 07:05 PM   #4
crazymanwitt crazymanwitt is offline
Active Member
 
crazymanwitt's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
200
1748
502
6
72
8
Default

Thanks for replying, yeah itís a real bummer that theyíve removed simulated 3D, but still strange the active glasses that came with the tv do not work for the other 3D modes
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 07:30 PM   #5
3DFlixx 3DFlixx is offline
Junior Member
 
Jul 2021
Sonoran Desert, Arizona
Default

This may not be what you're looking for, but many 3D bluray players have the "2D to simulated 3D" feature. Unfortunately, it only pertains to dvd or bluray viewing and it's not always super satisfying. One that is still sold new with that feature is the Sony BDP6700.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 10:43 PM   #6
lukas741 lukas741 is offline
Active Member
 
Apr 2011
Longueuil
Default

Would the OPPO 900B have that feature as well?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 10:44 PM   #7
lukas741 lukas741 is offline
Active Member
 
Apr 2011
Longueuil
Default

Oppo Panasonic...900B
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 12:23 AM   #8
3DFlixx 3DFlixx is offline
Junior Member
 
Jul 2021
Sonoran Desert, Arizona
Default

I'm sorry, I personally am not familiar with the Oppo, tho others on this site are -- and a quick web search for the Oppo model you mentioned didn't provide helpful results. As for myself, I have compiled a list of older 3D capable bluray player models which feature 2D to 3D conversion, just by reviewing online manuals, which then I took with me when I went to thrift stores, like Goodwill, and bought a couple of 2nd hand players to use as backups for anywhere between $7 to $14 each. I apologize, my knowledge is rather limited.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 12:36 AM   #9
Joe D. Joe D. is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Joe D.'s Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Bronx, NY
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymanwitt View Post
Thanks for replying, yeah itís a real bummer that theyíve removed simulated 3D
Hi crazy

Yes it is a bummer. For example I'm watching the Mets Cubs game simulated which I couldn't do with the feature only on the player.

Only bummer even worse is the way the Mets have been playing the last two nights.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 04:45 AM   #10
crazymanwitt crazymanwitt is offline
Active Member
 
crazymanwitt's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
200
1748
502
6
72
8
Default

Quickly checked out my blu-ray player (LG UBK30) this morning and unfortunately it doesnít have a feature to simulate 3D for dvds, blu-rays or 4K, just curious as to how side by side works and why my active glasses donít work with it, would passive glasses work on the side by side 3D on an active 3DTV
For reference this is the tv I have Sony KDL-75W855C, I have try Googling but canít seem to find any definitive answer
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 06:03 AM   #11
3DFlixx 3DFlixx is offline
Junior Member
 
Jul 2021
Sonoran Desert, Arizona
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymanwitt View Post
Quickly checked out my blu-ray player (LG UBK30) this morning and unfortunately it doesnít have a feature to simulate 3D for dvds, blu-rays or 4K, just curious as to how side by side works and why my active glasses donít work with it, would passive glasses work on the side by side 3D on an active 3DTV
For reference this is the tv I have Sony KDL-75W855C, I have try Googling but canít seem to find any definitive answer
After a Google search so I could learn about your set up, your KDL75 W855C requires 3D Glasses (TDG-BT500A) which are active glasses. Passive glasses won't work for this TV. What are you trying to watch exactly? If it is a 3D bluray disc, and you are using active glasses, try going into the 3D settings menu on the TV using the remote. If it is a 2D bluray disc or a 4K disc, you won't be able to view it in 3D on that TV - you'll need a 3D bluray player that features 2D bluray to 3D simulation. I'm confused that you are seeing a side by side effect on the TV. If this doesn't help, I think there's missing info (source & your former TV model), perhaps there's an issue with the TV and/or I have a lack of understanding to be able to assist. I have found many answers by reviewing the 3D forum on this site. I'm sorry I can't help more.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 11:52 AM   #12
crazymanwitt crazymanwitt is offline
Active Member
 
crazymanwitt's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
200
1748
502
6
72
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DFlixx View Post
After a Google search so I could learn about your set up, your KDL75 W855C requires 3D Glasses (TDG-BT500A) which are active glasses. Passive glasses won't work for this TV. What are you trying to watch exactly? If it is a 3D bluray disc, and you are using active glasses, try going into the 3D settings menu on the TV using the remote. If it is a 2D bluray disc or a 4K disc, you won't be able to view it in 3D on that TV - you'll need a 3D bluray player that features 2D bluray to 3D simulation. I'm confused that you are seeing a side by side effect on the TV. If this doesn't help, I think there's missing info (source & your former TV model), perhaps there's an issue with the TV and/or I have a lack of understanding to be able to assist. I have found many answers by reviewing the 3D forum on this site. I'm sorry I can't help more.

Yeah sorry should have been clearer, 3D discs play fine in 3D with the active glasses but when viewing 2D content on the 3D menu thereís an option to turn on side by side or top and bottom and the active glasses donít work with these modes
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 05:56 PM   #13
3DFlixx 3DFlixx is offline
Junior Member
 
Jul 2021
Sonoran Desert, Arizona
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymanwitt View Post
Yeah sorry should have been clearer, 3D discs play fine in 3D with the active glasses but when viewing 2D content on the 3D menu thereís an option to turn on side by side or top and bottom and the active glasses donít work with these modes
Got it now...So my LG is passive and has 2D>3D Simulation, but when I read your last message, it dawned on me that when I'm watching a 2D disc and press the "3D Video" button on my TV remote, it provides 3 options: "2D>3D", then a Top/Bottom diagram, and a Side/Side diagram. (The manual was no help). The only thing I can think of is we're given the choice if we're using a video source from usb or memory card that is formatted T/B or SbS. If so, your TV would convert it to 3D for viewing with your active glasses. It sounds like your 3D Video button only features those two options. I might suggest getting a cheap 2nd-hand 3D bluray player that has 2D>3D simulation to test out the theory. Play a 2D bluray, select 2D>3D on the player, making any adjustments on the player's 3D menu for depth, etc., and it should send a proper 3D signal to your Sony TV. Let me know if you'd like a listing of the specific models that I know of. I really hope this helps in some way.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
crazymanwitt (05-25-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 06:22 PM   #14
lukas741 lukas741 is offline
Active Member
 
Apr 2011
Longueuil
Default

WELL, if it's SONY we are all out of luck...if your SONY t.v. is updating its firmware it will remove that function automatically...without our permission...is there a lawyer here?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 11:07 PM   #15
the13thman the13thman is online now
Moderator
 
the13thman's Avatar
 
Feb 2015
London, England
57
2625
35
1
2
2
Default

This thread strikes me as completely confused. 3DFlixx is correct. You don't need any different glasses to watch SBS 3D, whatever you use to watch 3D Blu-rays should be fine.

It sounds like either you don't know how to work your TV, or it just can't convert SBS (side by side) or OU (over under) to 3D - unfortunately not all of them do.

My TVs don't autoplay SBS or OU movies in 3D, I have to press the 3D button on the remote and select it from there.

It does surprise me however that the conversion feature has been removed in an update, that's a really dirty move.

Last edited by the13thman; 05-26-2023 at 11:23 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
3DFlixx (05-27-2023)
Old 05-27-2023, 12:21 AM   #16
Joe D. Joe D. is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Joe D.'s Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Bronx, NY
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas741 View Post
WELL, if it's SONY we are all out of luck...if your SONY t.v. is updating its firmware it will remove that function automatically...without our permission...is there a lawyer here?
Many years ago a firmware update for another internet app messed up all my 3D. Spoke to a Sony rep who was aware the update was creating problems with 3D and told me how to uninstall it. Problem then resolved
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
3DFlixx (05-27-2023)
Old 05-27-2023, 04:38 AM   #17
crazymanwitt crazymanwitt is offline
Active Member
 
crazymanwitt's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
200
1748
502
6
72
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thman View Post
This thread strikes me as completely confused. 3DFlixx is correct. You don't need any different glasses to watch SBS 3D, whatever you use to watch 3D Blu-rays should be fine.

It sounds like either you don't know how to work your TV, or it just can't convert SBS (side by side) or OU (over under) to 3D - unfortunately not all of them do.

My TVs don't autoplay SBS or OU movies in 3D, I have to press the 3D button on the remote and select it from there.

It does surprise me however that the conversion feature has been removed in an update, that's a really dirty move.
Basically if I put in a 3D disc it loads and plays automatically in 3D no problem, the other day I went to rewatch Raya and the last dragon and thought it would be cool to have some sort of 3D effect, so I opened the 3D menu on the tv and noticed Simulated 3D was gone, only side by side and top and bottom, I selected side by side and put on the glasses and it didnít work. So was just curious if I needed a different set of glasses to view it
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 01:41 PM   #18
3DFlixx 3DFlixx is offline
Junior Member
 
Jul 2021
Sonoran Desert, Arizona
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymanwitt View Post
Basically if I put in a 3D disc it loads and plays automatically in 3D no problem, the other day I went to rewatch Raya and the last dragon and thought it would be cool to have some sort of 3D effect, so I opened the 3D menu on the tv and noticed Simulated 3D was gone, only side by side and top and bottom, I selected side by side and put on the glasses and it didnít work. So was just curious if I needed a different set of glasses to view it
I just came back to this thread to ask the question of what you're trying to watch - the source - so thanks, Witt, for providing that info. I'm afraid there are no glasses alone that will do the trick for you in this scenario. I think, generally speaking, there are several 3D formats -- three of which are frame-packed, SbS and TB, for this discussion. Commercially-produced 3D blurays are frame-packed. So I believe, again, you will need a different 3D player, one with 2D>3D simulation to provide the type of 3D signal your "new" TV requires. When I checked the specs of your TV and your player, neither had 2D>3D simulation for blurays listed -- some TVs and players have it and some don't. Now, if you were trying to watch a video from a usb, for example, that was formatted in SbS or TB, I believe your TV would recognize those formats and provide you with the 3D picture so you could you use your active glasses. So the key is your source. It's a 2D bluray. You need to insert the step of simulation on that signal BEFORE it gets to your TV for it to be able to read it (frame-packed) and provide you with a 3D picture, viewable with your current active glasses.
I'm sure these kinds of situations added to confusion back in 2016 and why many consumers gave up on the format. Huge learning curve for average folks like myself...it can be frustrating. I'm just hoping my perspective on your situation is a solution.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
crazymanwitt (05-27-2023)
Old 05-28-2023, 12:38 PM   #19
Phil92 Phil92 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Phil92's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
United Kingdom
16
240
1299
127
1
29
United Kingdom

My parents have this TV and I donít ever remember being able to convert 2D>3D. If it was a feature, SONY got rid of it a long time ago.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 01:54 PM   #20
Jlardonio Jlardonio is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Jul 2021
Aveiro, Portugal
2
90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymanwitt View Post
Basically if I put in a 3D disc it loads and plays automatically in 3D no problem, the other day I went to rewatch Raya and the last dragon and thought it would be cool to have some sort of 3D effect, so I opened the 3D menu on the tv and noticed Simulated 3D was gone, only side by side and top and bottom, I selected side by side and put on the glasses and it didnít work. So was just curious if I needed a different set of glasses to view it
Trust me, simulated 3D isn't worth the time of watch nor the headache produced while watching that way. If the file were side by side created from a 3D source like trailers and other types of medium it would be best. Trying to watch normal 2D in SBS/OU will display a picture totally messed up.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Players, Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:35 AM.