Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Ghosts of the Abyss 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.00

xXx: Return of Xander Cage 3D (Blu-ray)
$23.52

Sing 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Point Break 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Happy Feet Two 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Cease Fire 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.83

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.97

Pan 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.97

In the Heart of the Sea 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.71

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 01-14-2019, 11:47 PM   #2881
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2011

I hope it's not dead. There are a few films I couldn't bear not watching in 3D! I hear when 8K becomes a thing, Ulta-D is working on glasses free tvs! I think that would bring 3D back into the home, if the 3D is good!
Thanks given by:
DarrinG (01-15-2019), Variety Films 3D (01-17-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 11:53 PM   #2882

Nov 2010
Trowbridge UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falaskan View Post
I hope it's not dead. There are a few films I couldn't bear not watching in 3D! I hear when 8K becomes a thing, Ulta-D is working on glasses free tvs! I think that would bring 3D back into the home, if the 3D is good!
Trouble is, on even the best glasses free 3d tv, there will always be zero popout, so no point really, your have depth thou, but alot of people like popout, you have to have lens at your eye to see popout, impossible any other way, as the trick is done at eye level for popout.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:27 AM   #2883
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytrader View Post
Trouble is, on even the best glasses free 3d tv, there will always be zero popout, so no point really, your have depth thou, but alot of people like popout, you have to have lens at your eye to see popout, impossible any other way, as the trick is done at eye level for popout.
Ah, didn't know that, but it makes sense. Guess I'll have to make my current tv last forever as things are currently. Only 4 years in and it already sucks. lol
Old 01-15-2019, 12:36 AM   #2884

Nov 2010
Trowbridge UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falaskan View Post
Ah, didn't know that, but it makes sense. Guess I'll have to make my current tv last forever as things are currently. Only 4 years in and it already sucks. lol
I might add thou, that is my personal thoughts on it, you might get a few inches pop out, but i cant see it poping out like 6 or 8 feet right in from of your eyes like sammys tale does with glasses on.
Thanks given by:
Falaskan (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 10:50 AM   #2885
Expert Member

Jul 2009

I’ve seen slot machines with glasses-free 3D and they CAN do good popout effects. They are not yet perfect though- from some angles you see a double image or just 2D.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:58 AM   #2886

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina
Default The 3D Prayer

As I lay me down to sleep

I pray the Lord my LGs for me to keep

And if one dies before I wake

I still have more for 3D to make

And to all those who say 3D is dead

I will be sleeping soundly in my bed

because no one can take from me my 3D

except the Good Lord who gave it to me

And so with one final prayer I say to Thee

will you one day give to so many who cannot see

the blessing that you have given us few

and allow them to see 3D and know the truth?

And please watch over Bob, Mr. 13(The 13th Man), Joe, Paul H, JtChance, Presidentevil, DarrinG, dhvsfan, revgen…..

Last edited by wildbill722; 01-17-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Thanks given by:
Dan_Shane (01-16-2019), DarrinG (01-16-2019), dhvsfan (01-16-2019), Paul H (01-17-2019), presidentevil3d (01-17-2019), revgen (01-16-2019), the13thman (01-18-2019), Variety Films 3D (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #2887

Dec 2018

The reason glasses free sets don't have 'pop out' is because they compromise by wanting to have both glasses free AND multiple viewing angles at the same time. It takes both left/right video streams and generates a depth map on the fly, making conversions for each view point. So you're not seeing the original 3D content, but a degraded version with shallower depth. For the foreseeable future passive glasses on an Ultra-HD screen is still the best way to go.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:29 PM   #2888
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2004
New Jersey

Perhaps some people just need prescription 3D glasses.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:22 PM   #2889
Special Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variety Films 3D View Post
The reason glasses free sets don't have 'pop out' is because they compromise by wanting to have both glasses free AND multiple viewing angles at the same time. It takes both left/right video streams and generates a depth map on the fly, making conversions for each view point. So you're not seeing the original 3D content, but a degraded version with shallower depth. For the foreseeable future passive glasses on an Ultra-HD screen is still the best way to go.
True but for the foreseeable future it's active glasses that are the way to go simply because it's the only option going forward.

By the way, if your passive panel konks out, DON'T get rid of the set. Happened to me. Dead for a month and the repair guy said it couldn't be fixed/replaced. Was gonna junk it
and started to look at PJs. But a month later, it miraculously came back on and is working fine! Not sure why (divine intervention?) but i'm not complaining and happy I held on to it.
Thanks given by:
Variety Films 3D (01-18-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 06:34 PM   #2890
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by film11 View Post
True but for the foreseeable future it's active glasses that are the way to go simply because it's the only option going forward.

By the way, if your passive panel konks out, DON'T get rid of the set. Happened to me. Dead for a month and the repair guy said it couldn't be fixed/replaced. Was gonna junk it
and started to look at PJs. But a month later, it miraculously came back on and is working fine! Not sure why (divine intervention?) but i'm not complaining and happy I held on to it.
Hi film,

Glad the set came back to life. Power source perhaps?

I also have an active set but curious about that being the only option going forward.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:58 PM   #2891

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
I also have an active set but curious about that being the only option going forward.
He is probably referring to the fact that the only way to purchase new 3D viewing equipment is to buy a projector, and those all use active tech. No flat panel TVs are currently being made with 3D features, and that's what it took to make passive work.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:02 AM   #2892
Special Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Hi film,

Not a power source issue. Panel was filled with multi-colored lines. Not a connection problem either. Completely unexplainable but maybe the Universe likes 3D.
Thanks given by:
Variety Films 3D (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 09:22 AM   #2893
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

I fix electronics including monitors and there are a number of things that can cause this. Statistically speaking, it is likely connection-related or power-related as I have seen this happen before.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:39 PM   #2894
Special Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Hi film,

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGreg View Post
I fix electronics including monitors and there are a number of things that can cause this. Statistically speaking, it is likely connection-related or power-related as I have seen this happen before.
I originally thought the same. I even got a new HDMI to try as well. Neither I nor the authorized service tech could find any such issues. But I'm not looking this gift horse in the mouth.
Thanks given by:
GreatGreg (01-19-2019), Joe D. (01-18-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Tags
3d t.v, 3d tv production halted, poping