Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Avengers: Endgame 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$62.99
8 hrs ago
50 Years of Planet of the Apes: 9-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.74

Man of Steel 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

DC 7-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$119.99
19 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

The Secret Life of Pets 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
18 hrs ago
Suicide Squad 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists

Old 05-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
Denmark

I bet The Hobbit in HFR will be first...
Old 05-10-2016, 08:29 PM   #22
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer View Post
I bet The Hobbit in HFR will be first...
Unfortunately, no.

There is no 48 fps feature for UHD Blu-ray. If HFR movies move to 60 fps then that rate is supported along with 24, 25, and 50 fps.

However, The Hobbit will get an HDR grade (HDR10 or 12 Bit Dolby Vision dependent upon Warner Brothers' video department) and Dolby Atmos immersive surround, but only at 24 fps.
Thanks given by:
kristoffer (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 08:44 PM   #23
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

And in any event, although MGM was a producing partner, it's not my understanding that MGM has/will have anything to do with possible UHD BDs of the The Hobbit pictures. The BDs are Warner releases.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:57 PM   #24

Mar 2008
Los Angeles, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opips3 View Post

That's how Leo the lion roars when someone pull his tail or shove it up his butt with a broom stick.....poor thing.

Last edited by Dr Strangelove; 05-13-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:20 PM   #25
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

Quote:
Spectre - (2015) good action with Dolby Atmos. This is James Bond.
The Bond movies will happen all in one set, probably whenever the next one comes out and definitely not before EON either jumps to another studio or stays at Sony.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:20 PM   #26
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaguir View Post
The HDR graded version of any of those movies you mentioned wouldn't be "faker" than that of the titles already released on UHD.

Only a handful of titles on UHD had a Dolby Vision grading for theatrical showings. Those are considered the most legitimate HDR releases, since Dolby Vision and HDR10 are sort of equivalent, broadly speaking (I'm not getting into that now).
All the other titles didn't, so they had new gradings done for UHD release, just like the titles you mentioned could have. They're in the same boat. The fact that the titles you mentioned were produced a longer time ago doesn't change that. It would all be revisionism, if you're a film purist and are about such things.

There is no "fake" or true HDR (for now...), an HDR grading just brings out a higher range of contrast, more stops, from the film negative (or digital tape), as long as that information was recorded on camera when shot. HDR can be reigned to make the UHD look more like the theatrical showing than Rec.709 can on blu-ray, in many cases (like Technicolor IB prints). So HDR it's quite NOT like colorizing b&w films.
It really depends. For example, recently on HTF, Robert Harris said HDR would not be recommended for a UHD version of My Fair Lady.
Thanks given by:
MattPerdue (05-23-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 06:01 PM   #27
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
It really depends. For example, recently on HTF, Robert Harris said HDR would not be recommended for a UHD version of My Fair Lady.
I agree with him - further futzing with the colors would undermine the prior restoration / color grading - just encode what's been done for the bluray / DCP and put it on UHD and call it a day.
Thanks given by:
HeavyHitter (05-13-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 02:24 AM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

(Related IMO given that Fox is MGM's home vid distribber.)

This is an interesting, brief read about an event on the Fox lot in connection with the Deadpool UHD BD release. IMO it evinces what a corporate priority HDR is for Fox (and how much work is going to go into an HDR pass of a catalog title--IF the bandwidth is there to do it) and, in turn, the possible negative implications that has for much catalog release activity.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...m-miller/32122
Thanks given by:
imsounoriginal (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 02:57 AM   #29
Expert Member

Nov 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
(Related IMO given that Fox is MGM's home vid distribber.)

This is an interesting, brief read about an event on the Fox lot in connection with the Deadpool UHD BD release. IMO it evinces what a corporate priority HDR is for Fox (and how much work is going to go into an HDR pass of a catalog title--IF the bandwidth is there to do it) and, in turn, the possible negative implications that has for much catalog release activity.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...m-miller/32122
I don't expect any of the majors NOT to do HDR passes on films even if it isn't warranted. They still remix audio to stupid degrees and act like the original mix doesn't exist so why would they think any differently with HDR?
Old 05-23-2016, 03:06 AM   #30
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

Quote:
FLYBOYS - (2007) it's perfect for Dolby Atmos (dogfight lot of planes).

Poltergesit - (1982) 35th anniversary it's perfect for Dolby Atmos (a room eeer and tornado).

Platoon - (1986) 4 academy awards best picture.

Spectre - (2015) good action with Dolby Atmos. This is James Bond.
I don't believe that S.P.E.C.T.R.E was not released with Dolby Atmos. S.P.E.C.T.R.E. was released November 6, 2015.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:40 AM   #31
Banned

Mar 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
I don't believe that S.P.E.C.T.R.E was not released with Dolby Atmos. S.P.E.C.T.R.E. was released November 6, 2015.
I know Dolby Atmos not have this Spectre. I want the movie has remix Atmos is very nice bonus!
Old 05-23-2016, 05:36 PM   #32
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmFreakosaurus View Post
Unfortunately, no.

There is no 48 fps feature for UHD Blu-ray.
48fps HFR movies could certainly be encoded at 60fps for UHD release (repeat every fourth frame). Mind you, that doesn't mean I'm holding my breath for an HFR release of The Hobbit, but it is possible.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:41 PM   #33

Jan 2016

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I watched my Creed 4K and MGM is one of the opening credits. So wouldn't that be their first movie on 4K?
Old 05-23-2016, 06:43 PM   #34
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
48fps HFR movies could certainly be encoded at 60fps for UHD release (repeat every fourth frame). Mind you, that doesn't mean I'm holding my breath for an HFR release of The Hobbit, but it is possible.
The cadence might be wonky. They seem to be more interested in native frame rate encoding nowadays.

However, it would be much more straightforward to do frame doubling of old Todd-AO films that were 30 fps like Oklahoma! and Around the World in 80 Days.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:56 PM   #35
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Quote:
The cadence might be wonky. They seem to be more interested in native frame rate encoding nowadays.
True. It might not produce the best result, but it could be done.

Quote:
However, it would be much more straightforward to do frame doubling of old Todd-AO films that were 30 fps like Oklahoma! and Around the World in 80 Days.
And those should look fantastic in UHD!
Old 05-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #36
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenn1992 View Post
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I watched my Creed 4K and MGM is one of the opening credits. So wouldn't that be their first movie on 4K?
If you wanna get really anal about it then yeah, sure, but it's Warners who are distributing Creed theatrically and on video, so we're no closer to finding out whether MGM will be releasing UHD titles on their lonesome.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:23 AM   #37
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada View Post
it was the only Bond film to be natively mixed in 7.1 at least.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:11 AM   #38
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPerdue View Post
I don't expect any of the majors NOT to do HDR passes on films even if it isn't warranted. They still remix audio to stupid degrees and act like the original mix doesn't exist so why would they think any differently with HDR?
Could be. Per my earlier, lengthy post #20, rather than there being some HDR-independent decision as to what catalogers Fox will release that they then decide whether or not to apply HDR to, I'm thinking HDR is the UHD BD horse not a cart. If an HDR pass isn't "warranted," that title isn't going to be a UHD candidate.

(I also think there is some misunderstanding out there regarding HDR. If the bandwidth is there in that original element, then that is a film that could benefit from HDR. I'm not saying that it's never a tool that can be misused. But I'm seeing a lot of posts that reflect an understanding of HDR as some unnecessary, image processing tool for evil that can only damage images, add information that's not originally photographed and thereby contradict "original intent." My current understanding is that HDR is a means to unlock levels of detail that have always been latent in original image capture but which we heretofore have not had a means of unlocking or a home vid format via which to present.)

FWIW I also think the audio remix analogy might be misplaced. There may be some recent examples that I'm unaware of, but AFAIK the biggest complaints on this subject of creating surround tracks for movies that weren't originally released that way and not including original audio on the DVD date back to the early days of that format?

I think at that time there was an impetus towards offering surround because DVD was bringing 5.1 to its widest home audience ever. I think there were many who titillated over that and were predisposed to anything 5.1 to 'feed' their new AVR. I remember well the posts on various discussion fora about guys getting off on seeing the little Dolby Digital and especially DTS 5.1 lights come on.

I think that's where a lot of this business of taking a stereo or even mono track and running it through a processor that uses some algorithm to create a faux surround mix came from? That's quite different IMO from what HDR represents when used judiciously.

Last edited by Paul.R.S; 05-25-2016 at 06:20 AM.
Thanks given by:
zmarty (06-28-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 04:17 AM   #39

Mar 2016
Nashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
I think that's where a lot of this business of taking a stereo or even mono track and running it through a processor that uses some algorithm to create a faux surround mix came from? That's quite different IMO from what HDR represents when used judiciously.
The way HDR should be is what I call the 'Oz Effect™'

Correctly using HDR should be like Dorothy walking out of her house after it crashes on the witch. We, as humans, know that when she was on the farm (sepia) at the beginning of the movie that in real life it is in full color. Using HDR should be the same effect, we go from the usual (709 at the time) to closer to what our eyes actually see. The analogy isn't perfect, but hopefully you understand what I mean.

HDR is not for making things pop or glow. HDR is for CORRECTING the limited technology we had at the time. Making movies/tv appear more like the way it was captured on film originally.
Thanks given by:
zmarty (02-10-2017)
Old 05-25-2016, 04:49 AM   #40
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealorFake4K View Post
The way HDR should be is what I call the 'Oz Effect™'

Correctly using HDR should be like Dorothy walking out of her house after it crashes on the witch. We, as humans, know that when she was on the farm (sepia) at the beginning of the movie that in real life it is in full color. Using HDR should be the same effect, we go from the usual (709 at the time) to closer to what our eyes actually see. The analogy isn't perfect, but hopefully you understand what I mean.
Errr, no I do not understand what you mean. The cameras used at the time are what we call SDR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealorFake4K View Post
HDR is not for making things pop or glow. HDR is for CORRECTING the limited technology we had at the time.
The HDR 'pop' is pretty much the only thing HDR enthusiasts write about.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists