Best Xbox One Game Deals

Best Xbox One Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Battlefield V (Xbox One)
$24.99
3 hrs ago
Madden NFL 19 (Xbox One)
$14.90

South Park: The Fractured But Whole (Xbox One)
$35.15
12 hrs ago
Man of Medan (Xbox One)
$24.99

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (Xbox One)
$17.99

Fade to Silence (Xbox One)
$29.83

Generation Zero (Xbox One)
$36.41
16 hrs ago
Metro Exodus (Xbox One)
$28.78

Watch Dogs: Legion (Xbox One)
$49.94

The Division 2 (Xbox One)
$68.77

Override: Mech City Brawl (Xbox One)
$15.02
14 hrs ago
The Hunter: Call of the Wild (Xbox One)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox One

Old 07-12-2017, 01:43 AM   #21
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyrubbleuk View Post
Plus I'm confused... Am I getting dolby atmos with my headphones or not?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
You have to download the Dolby Access app then launch it, it will then ask how you want to enjoy Dolby Atmos. Choose headphones then choose your option of trial or purchase at $14.99. After it downloads the headphone update, you can go into Settings from the Access app and choose Dolby Atmos for headphones. After doing so, go back to the Access app and choose Headphones again. Choose continue and then you'll see the videos.

You'll get a virtual Dolby Atmos experience with any headphones plugged into the controller.
Thanks given by:
barneyrubbleuk (07-16-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 01:24 PM   #22

Jun 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_dave View Post
You have to download the Dolby Access app then launch it, it will then ask how you want to enjoy Dolby Atmos. Choose headphones then choose your option of trial or purchase at $14.99. After it downloads the headphone update, you can go into Settings from the Access app and choose Dolby Atmos for headphones. After doing so, go back to the Access app and choose Headphones again. Choose continue and then you'll see the videos.

You'll get a virtual Dolby Atmos experience with any headphones plugged into the controller.
Can you only get this when plugged into the controller? Not a Av Receiver?

Old 08-01-2017, 04:49 PM   #23
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2008

Quote:
Can you only get this when plugged into the controller? Not a Av Receiver?

Virtual Dolby Amos is through headphones only. The XBox One will detect your sound system and choose accordingly. If you don't have a Dolby Atmos receiver, it won't let you choose that: either DTS lossy, Dolby Digital lossy, PCM Stereo, PCM 5.1, or PCM 7.1 like before.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:43 PM   #24

Jun 2015

Quote:
Virtual Dolby Amos is through headphones only. The XBox One will detect your sound system and choose accordingly. If you don't have a Dolby Atmos receiver, it won't let you choose that: either DTS lossy, Dolby Digital lossy, PCM Stereo, PCM 5.1, or PCM 7.1 like before.
I'm sorry for being stupid.. I have a dolby atmos receiver.... Plug headphones into this and I'll get atmos from my headphones playing a game?

Old 08-01-2017, 07:29 PM   #25
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

As he stated already it seems the headphones have to be plugged into the controller.

Quote:
Thanks given by:
barneyrubbleuk (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 05:18 AM   #26
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2008

Quote:
I'm sorry for being stupid.. I have a dolby atmos receiver.... Plug headphones into this and I'll get atmos from my headphones playing a game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
As he stated already it seems the headphones have to be plugged into the controller.
For full clarification:

Any stereo wired headphones can and have to be plugged into the controller to experience virtual Dolby Atmos.

XBox One certified/capable 5.1/7.1 wired headphones can be connected via HDMI bridge to experience virtual Dolby Atmos

XBox One certified/capable stereo/5.1/7.1 wireless headphones can be used to experience virtual Dolby Atmos.

XBox One certified/capable Dolby Atmos wireless headphones can be used to experience true Dolby Atmos.
Thanks given by:
barneyrubbleuk (08-02-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 03:31 PM   #27

Feb 2016

In amc app the commercials are loud and great sounding like the video games ( playing marvel heroes omega) but the tv show is low sounding
Old 08-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #28
Expert Member

Jul 2014
Egypt

I've used the Dolby Access app with Atmos for Headphones plugin trial with my Win 10 PC, then decided to purchase it because it is really awesome!

I only have a dedicated 5.1 speaker system for PC that is more than 17 years old and it is not suitable for late night viewings, so I always opted to use headphones.

I have a Creative Sound Blaster Z card which did a great job with virtual 5.1/7.1 surround and always thought nothing can match it UNTILL I tried Atmos for Headphones which beats it hands down especially with no added reverbation effect that the sound card has and never bothered me before.

I am also using a cheap (great) Samson SR850 Studio Monitor headphones with semi open-back and with this kind of virtual surround, they really shine.

Atmos for Headphones works best with Dolby Atmos tracks and it gives a great sense of channel separation and audio positioning. All 7 channels PLUS overhead channels can be perceived in a great accuracy with an awesome bass reproduction.

It is also great for DTS-HD MA 7.1 tracks and 5.1 tracks but with Atmos tracks, it is out of this world.

It also shines with PC gaming and game me a great advantage in games like BF1 with positional audio.

The icing on the cake for me, was that the app is really cheap in our Egyptian M$ Win 10 store for 107 EGP or $5.99

I have recorded some samples using Atmos for Headphones and you can check them out using any good quality headphones with no sound effects or enhancements at all:

https://soundcloud.com/mina-azer/set...for-headphones

Keep in mind these are converted to mp3 and the actual sound is better.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:27 PM   #29

Mar 2017

I have Turtle Beach 4x1 on my gaming TV and 2 X42s on my main movie TV. Turtle Beaches are able to take Dolby 5.1 via Toslink and can convert it to Dolby Headphones. However DTS movies don't sound right front-to-back and high-to-low. I assume Dolby headsets don't decode DTS movies. The Atmos app on Xbox one converts Dolby Atmos into a clearer version of Dolby headphone than downmixed to 5.1 THEN converted by my Turtle Beaches. However DTS movies STILL don't sound right directionally.

I'm wondering if Windows Sonic accurately converts DTS to some sort of DTS headphones without buying a separate wireless headset with DTS X:Headphone. Also I heard most stand alone 4k+3D movie players don't accept USB headphone output, and every DTS X headset Isee is USB. 1) Does Windows Sonic on Xbox One work for DTS movies, and if so, what settings do I use (if possible) to get my Toslink TB x41 working with DTS surround? 2) What am I going to use on my main 4K+3D movie player, a Sony UBP-X800, to get surround sound on DTS movie right, and a "communal" surround sound system is very close to unacceptable, because 10 years ago, when we got out first HD TV, the TV installers said in a one minute review that this is a very tricky and expensive to get right in surround sound. Years later, I asked if Surround Headsets is a better option. They said it couldn't hurt to try. it works well with Dolby movies. Not so well with DTS. Also I don't want to be tethered in front of the big screen TV, so wireless is a plus.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:12 PM   #30

Feb 2016

I use Dolby atoms headphones for my tv speakers makes huge difference
Old 03-27-2018, 04:38 AM   #31

Mar 2018
Tuscaloosa, AL

Posted in a another topic. Need help:

Anybody having issues with the Dolby Atmos app? Or Windows Sonic? I bit the bullet today and decided to buy it (was on sale for 3 bucks off). But it doesn't work at all. I had a feeling this would happen because Window Sonic doesn't seem to work at all either when I tried it a while back. I'm using Elite 800xs set to Stereo Mode, and I get just that, plain Stereo Mode. I'm using a surround sound test video on YouTube, and I'm clearly not getting surround. Also, I heard that you can test if you Atmos is even active by going into Netflix and selecting an Atmos-enabled film. If it says 5.1, it's not working, which is what it says for me. And I know it's not my headset because I decided to plug in regular ol' earbuds and am having the exact same issue. What gives? Did I waste money? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:11 PM   #32
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

https://www.reddit.com/r/TurtleBeach...spatial_sound/

A comment on here says you want to disable surround on the headset.

From the Turtle Beach website

https://support.turtlebeach.com/hc/e...Surround-Sound

Quote:
For the Turtle Beach ELITE 800X gaming headset, we recommend NOT using the new Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos surround sound settings, as the ELITE 800X already features DTS Headphone:X® 7.1 Surround Sound, which provides the best audio experience for this specific headset. For the ELITE 800X, make sure your Xbox One™ audio settings are configured as shown below:
So it looks like you wasted your money as turning on Sonic or Atmos is just decoding the same thing twice.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:49 PM   #33
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landonio View Post
I'm using a surround sound test video on YouTube, and I'm clearly not getting surround.
YouTube is stereo only, regardless of what the video offers. Even when transcoded by the XBox to Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM, it is plain stereo sound. You can not use YouTube to test surround sound.

Either use the demo videos in the Dolby Access app or Vudu's Dolby Atmos demo bundle to test surround sound. However, Pixar DVDs and Blu-rays include true 5.1 and 7.1 tests that will give you a better idea if it is working.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:50 PM   #34

Mar 2018
Tuscaloosa, AL

Quote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/TurtleBeach...spatial_sound/

A comment on here says you want to disable surround on the headset.

From the Turtle Beach website

https://support.turtlebeach.com/hc/e...Surround-Sound

So it looks like you wasted your money as turning on Sonic or Atmos is just decoding the same thing twice.
Knew someone was gonna post this.

That's only if you use sound enhancements. It's supposed to work if you turn them off and use stereo mode, as I said in my post. It does for a lot of people, but not for me for whatever reason.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:53 PM   #35

Mar 2018
Tuscaloosa, AL

e
Quote:
YouTube is stereo only, regardless of what the video offers. Even when transcoded by the XBox to Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM, it is plain stereo sound. You can not use YouTube to test surround sound.

Either use the demo videos in the Dolby Access app or Vudu's Dolby Atmos demo bundle to test surround sound. However, Pixar DVDs and Blu-rays include true 5.1 and 7.1 tests that will give you a better idea if it is working.
YouTube may be in stereo, but I get directional sound when I do the test with 5.1/7.1 mode turned on my headset. I get zero directional sound in stereo mode with Atmos/Sonic enabled. That coupled with the fact that Netflix is showing me as using 5.1 instead of Atmos is proof that there's a problem somewhere and it's not detecting it. I'll try a Blu-ray test, but I doubt it'll help because it doesn't seem to be detecting it at all, as I said. The sound is literally the exact same in stereo mode whether I tick Sonic, Atmos, or neither.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:55 PM   #36

Mar 2018
Tuscaloosa, AL

Update. Managed to get it to work. But I've found that it does NOT work with (at least for me):
-YouTube
-Twitch
-Netflix
-Non-atmos Games (which is weird, and also thoroughly disappointing)

You just get standard stereo, which is dumb.

It DOES work for:
-Any Blu-ray with an Atmos track
-The Atmos app

Yet to test it for standard Blu-rays without Atmos tracks, or games that have Atmos tracks.

Last edited by Landonio; 03-28-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:32 PM   #37
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Wait. You expected Atmos to work with things not authored in Atmos?
Old 03-28-2018, 05:57 PM   #38

Mar 2018
Tuscaloosa, AL

Quote:
Wait. You expected Atmos to work with things not authored in Atmos?
I expected it to retain some form of surround/directional sound. Not necessarily actual Atmos. As I said I'm just getting basic stereo. Everyone raving it about all over the internet kinda implied that it improves sound across the board, not just for things that have Atmos tracks. Nobody said anything about having to switch back and forth, which is what I have to do. Also, people have stated that the Atmos option on Xbox works with non-Atmos games and improves sound, which isn't the case for me. I'm getting basic stereo, whereas others are getting surround. Netflix is still not recognizing it either. Also, what's the point of having YouTube vids that are Atmos tests if it doesn't support Atmos and they're just gonna play in stereo? That's weird.

Last edited by Landonio; 03-28-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:55 AM   #39

Mar 2018
Tuscaloosa, AL

It also doesn't explain why Windows Sonic doesn't work at all on anything.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:56 AM   #40

Mar 2018
Tuscaloosa, AL

So nobody has any idea what the issue is here? This is pretty frustrating.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox One