Best Wii U Game Deals

Best Wii U Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Star Fox Zero (Wii U)
$20.48

Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed (Wii U)
$19.93

Hello Kitty Kruisers (Wii U)
$49.99

Sonic Lost World (Wii U)
$19.47

Splatoon (Wii U)
$50.01

Skylanders: Trap Team (Wii U)
$99.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U

Old 07-14-2015, 12:12 PM   #21
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedude 2K15 View Post
I agree with you 100% sir. I actually believe Nintendo could flip it all around VERY quickly, and I sincerely hope they do.
It's times for Nintendo to turn a new leaf now. Enough of outdated mentalities.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #22
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post
He was very kind to his employees, loved his job and was dedicated to it but him and modern gaming just never got along well. Wii U should've never been made because it was a terrible mistake which Nintendo can't back out now as it's too late.

I just hope that the next Nintendo home console doesn't have any of the nonsense that the Wii U and 3DS had.

Things that they need or should incorporate:

- Region free (so if a game is Japan-exclusive it's still playable)
- A proper UI

- No gimmicky bs (no stupid wannabe tablet or motion banana to wave around)
- Third party support from day one
- Blu-ray and DVD playback (as well as a media player for music and video files)
- Quality exclusive launch titles (Mario 3D like Sun/Gal, Mario Kart, Smash, F-Zero, Metroid)
- The console should be more or less as powerful as Sony/Microsoft's.

It shouldn't be too hard, really.
I don't necessarily agree with you. You want Nintendo to basically become an alternative to Steam/Xbox/PlayStation, but that's not how they work. Whereas those consoles are largely interchangeable with each other, Nintendo has always done something different, something that works more as a complement than direct competition. Being different is what really sets them apart, and while I agree with many points you are making here (highlighted in bold), I still believe they should continue going their own way and continue to offer up the unique experiences they do.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:04 PM   #23
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC Riot View Post
Being different is what really sets them apart, and while I agree with many points you are making here (highlighted in bold), I still believe they should continue going their own way and continue to offer up the unique experiences they do.
Exactly my thoughts as well. Gamers are very cyclical. There will be a time when people love Nintendo again in droves and it won't be because of something they changed. Nintendo does what Nintendo does. I love my Wii U exactly because it's not like the other systems.

The main issue for them now isn't that they don't have the newest CoD, it's because there's such a drought between their 1st party releases. Granted more 3rd parties equals more games equals more systems sold but it's also a catch 22. 3rd parties don't release unless systems are sold. That leaves one constant and that's 1st party games. They just have too long a period between their big hitters. Hopefully most are in production and will be released in a steady cadence for the NX. I'd like to hope they've finally come to grips/speed with making HD games.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:15 PM   #24
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC Riot View Post
I don't necessarily agree with you. You want Nintendo to basically become an alternative to Steam/Xbox/PlayStation, but that's not how they work. Whereas those consoles are largely interchangeable with each other, Nintendo has always done something different, something that works more as a complement than direct competition. Being different is what really sets them apart, and while I agree with many points you are making here (highlighted in bold), I still believe they should continue going their own way and continue to offer up the unique experiences they do.
The aspects you bolded are the most important ones so as long as Nintendo gets that right they'll be considered to be part of the "console war" and will be remembered as a gaming company rather than a kiddy console.

Here in UK I don't really see a lot of Wii U games, if I get to see 5 that's considerably a lot than nothing at all. lol
Old 07-14-2015, 07:58 PM   #25

Oct 2007

I think Nintendo needs to decide what they want their console to be. do they want to be the "one" console that every gamer has their core console. if they do then they need to at least have parity with the other consoles so 3rd parties will make games for their consoles.

If they want to be the second console that gamers have then i can see them doing something more experimental and being different.

Nintendo needs to knock it out of the park with their next console. if you go and look at the history of their consoles, every console ( with the exception of the wii) has sold less than the previous one.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:09 PM   #26
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by masc360 View Post
I think Nintendo needs to decide what they want their console to be. do they want to be the "one" console that every gamer has their core console. if they do then they need to at least have parity with the other consoles so 3rd parties will make games for their consoles.

If they want to be the second console that gamers have then i can see them doing something more experimental and being different.

Nintendo needs to knock it out of the park with their next console. if you go and look at the history of their consoles, every console ( with the exception of the wii) has sold less than the previous one.
1) It'd be pretty tough for Nintendo to win back the fans/gamers they lost to PlayStation and Xbox, so they'd really have to do a miracle. Winning back such a huge crowd is complicated but maybe not entirely impossible.

2) If Nintendo remains with that mindset then they're never going to get better.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:58 AM   #27
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post
Things that they need or should incorporate:

- Region free (so if a game is Japan-exclusive it's still playable)
- A proper UI
- No gimmicky bs (no stupid wannabe tablet or motion banana to wave around)
- Third party support from day one
- Blu-ray and DVD playback (as well as a media player for music and video files)
- Quality exclusive launch titles (Mario 3D like Sun/Gal, Mario Kart, Smash, F-Zero, Metroid)
- The console should be more or less as powerful as Sony/Microsoft's.

It shouldn't be too hard, really.
That list is a bit weird.

Iwata already said that region free for home console is probably a good idea, so I guess it was hopefully planned. Although I personally didn't import that many games on DS and especially PS3, because PS3 is basically pseudo-region-free. If you want to actually import lots of games and the games don't work properly because of silly bugs thanks to Sony switching around X and O buttons on Asian consoles w/o an option to switch that around and games not being programmed properly, then I can't count that as being actually region free. And Sony doesn't even give a crap about it at all. They don't force anyone to fix issues. They don't check for them. They don't care. Some games for example the last James Bond game is literally unbeatable on Asian PS3 consoles.

I hope that Nintendo does region free properly. As in games actually being region free. As in no region locked DLC. No "we will let you figure out from which store you have to buy the addon (and also violate the terms of service by creating an account outside of your actual region) and if you choose poorly we will just keep your money". And no weird issues because of bad system design (see X and O buttons).

Even Wii U had 3rd party support right at the start and on release day there was even a superb exclusive survival game called ZombiU (although yeah it was a bit broken on release, but that's Ubisoft and the typical 3rd party support nowadays). Anyway, just look at Wii. The best selling console last generation. And not even that one got great 3rd party support. I mean the type of 3rd party support that you are probably talking about.

Forget about Bluray + DVD playback. It won't happen. Otherwise Nintendo would have to force customers to pay for Bluray + DVD functionality, which means extra costs. And nowadays that's completely pointless. Who wants to use their console to play those things and not only doesn't own a standalone player, but also doesn't yet own for example a PS3, PS4 or something like that. DVD playback worked out for Sony with PS2. Bluray playback didn't work out at all with PS3. And now it's basically worthless. What Wii + Wii U supported is Netflix and NX will probably support that too. I'm pretty certain that NX won't support physical movie media and I personally think that that's a good thing.

And last but not least the exclusive launch titles won't really change that much. Metroid didn't sell that well, even on Wii. Sure, I would love to get a new Metroid Prime, but will it make the console to actually sell lots? I doubt it. Mario Kart 8 pushed a few Wii Us, but not that much. 3D World was also awesome and also didn't sell that many Wii Us. Release them all at release and it wouldn't have changed much. It's kinda funny, Wii U got us lots and lots and lots of extremely high quality exclusive games, and the console itself still sold like crap. PS4 on the other hand got lots and lots of PS3 ports and a tiny few exclusives (w/ quality issues, like long load times) and still sells way way better. Crazy world.

What's even the point. Let's say they would release NX with a new Smash, a new Metroid, a new Zelda and a new Mario. What's after that? Wouldn't that even result in people not buying all of those, even if they were extremely high quality? Although you will probably get a "new" Zelda as Wii U and NX release a la Twilight Princess on Gamecube + Wii.

In case Nintendo wants to offer a low price point (which would be a good idea, Wii U being too expensive was one of the problems. A $499 "more powerful than PS4" NX simply will not work), they surely won't go for "like PS4 or more powerful".
Old 07-15-2015, 12:56 PM   #28
Power Member

Apr 2011

This is going to be a reply rather a bit big, here goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimidini View Post
Iwata already said that region free for home console is probably a good idea
If he said that he should've just done as such and release a firmware update to deblock the consoles from being region locked. I do recall reading it somewhere but it's been ages since.

Quote:
Even Wii U had 3rd party support right at the start and on release day there was even a superb exclusive survival game called ZombiU
ZombiU was a generic pile of crap about zombies. Did you know what the original game's idea was supposed to be?

Ubisoft must've thought there wasn't already enough zombie games out there so they reskinned Killer Freaks from Outer Space as another mediocre zombie game.

Quote:
Forget about Bluray + DVD playback. It won't happen.
With the Wii hacked I could play a DVD and I assume once the Wii U's hacked then I'll be able to use its Blu-ray Player without restrictions. Yes, the Wii U has a BDP inside but it's only made to use Wii U game discs so far (which are 25GB).

Quote:
Mario Kart 8 pushed a few Wii Us
Mario Kart 8 was what saved the Wii U from being completely irrelevant to the market. Five million copies is not "pushing a few Wii Us".

Quote:
3D World was also awesome and also didn't sell that many Wii Us.
Mario 3D World was just an HD version of Mario 3D Land with new stages and an option to be a cat. Nothing really awesome about it.

And again, this sold four million copies to date so it did its share.

Quote:
Wii U got us lots and lots and lots of extremely high quality exclusive games
From my Wii U library I have over 50+ of them and I'd only consider 18 Wii U games good and you say that's "lots and lots of extremely high quality games"? Wow. I'm speechless.

Quote:
What's even the point. Let's say they would release NX with a new Smash, a new Metroid, a new Zelda and a new Mario. What's after that?
The point is to have a solid launch lineup so customers have a good chunk of games to choose from and from there on, make more.

Mario Kart 8, Smash 4 and Mario 3D should have been launch games because the Wii U needed these games to survive.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #29
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

By Tom Phillips Published 17/07/2015

Nintendo employees and fans alike have paid their respects to the company's late president Satoru Iwata, who passed away last weekend aged just 55.

Iwata's final resting place, a Japanese temple in Nintendo's home city of Kyoto, was visited by more than 3000 people over the past few days.

A funeral ceremony held this morning was attended by numerous members of the Japanese industry, including Nintendo's own Shigeru Miyamoto, former Sonic Team boss Yuji Naka and Q-Games' Dylan Cuthbert.

Super Smash Bros. creator and long-time friend Masahiro Sakurai was also present, alongside The Legend of Zelda series boss Eiji Aonuma and Platinum Games' Hideki Kamiya.

Nintendo of America's Reggie Fils-Aime and Bill Trinen were also present.

Nintendo announced Iwata's passing on Monday of this week and noted that, at least in the interim, the company would look to Miyamoto and veteran director Genyo Takeda to lead the company forward.

Speaking during this morning's ceremony, Takeda said that he and Miyamoto would work together to finish the work that Iwata started - such as its impending move into the mobile games sector, and next year's reveal of the NX console - the Wall Street Journal reported.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-iwata-funeral
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Wii U