Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.64
11 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
1 hr ago
Interstellar 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Shazam! 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00

Jurassic Park Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$40.00

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Saving Private Ryan 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Captain Marvel 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Men in Black: International 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

Crank 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Rambo 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists

Old 05-25-2016, 04:57 AM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Michigan, USA, 35yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by uther View Post
Errr, no I do not understand what you mean. The cameras used at the time are what we call SDR.

The HDR 'pop' is pretty much the only thing HDR enthusiasts write about.

That is not true. The dynamic range on film was always there, we just never had the ability to extract it all from the original.

Watch this video. It's extremely informative.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yP_CsYFl_Ts
Thanks given by:
zmarty (06-28-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 05:08 AM   #42

Mar 2016
Nashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by uther View Post
The cameras used at the time are what we call SDR.

The HDR 'pop' is pretty much the only thing HDR enthusiasts write about.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:21 PM   #43
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
The dynamic range on film was always there, we just never had the ability to extract it all from the original.
The thing is, because there was no medium to present that film latitude to an audience, the movies weren't designed to. So that latitude's presence on the film negative doesn't mean it has any place in a finished product that's presented to an audience. A presentation of this additional latitude to an audience in a film that was never designed to include it is an adulterated revision of the film, pure and simple.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:28 PM   #44
Banned

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
That is not true. The dynamic range on film was always there, we just never had the ability to extract it all from the original.

Watch this video. It's extremely informative.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yP_CsYFl_Ts
Person paid to plug product in plugs product shocker
Old 05-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #45
Banned

Mar 2015

Technology,

Long past, T.V. don't have color, only white and black screen.
T.V. was improved colors imperfect.

More improvement colors DCI rec.708 ....better...more better technology.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:17 AM   #46
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

"MGM & 20th Century Fox Renew Home Entertainment Deal"
Thanks given by:
Opips3 (07-06-2016), tyrok (06-28-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 02:06 AM   #47
Banned

Mar 2015

I waiting Spectre and SKYFALL UHD 4K....

I must have... SKYFALL UHD 4K with Atmos Double dip for me.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:18 AM   #48

Jul 2007
New Jersey, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opips3 View Post
I waiting Spectre and SKYFALL UHD 4K....

I must have... SKYFALL UHD 4K with Atmos Double dip for me.
Yup. Likewise. Need these pronto. Hoping we get Spectre this year because of the Fox renewal.
Thanks given by:
Opips3 (07-06-2016)
Old 02-10-2017, 01:14 AM   #49
Special Member

Jan 2008

Vudu just added UHD Dolby Vision versions of The Princess Bride and Silence of the Lambs. Anyone heard of discs for these?
Thanks given by:
flyry (02-10-2017), zmarty (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 03:15 AM   #50
Special Member

Mar 2007
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
Vudu just added UHD Dolby Vision versions of The Princess Bride and Silence of the Lambs. Anyone heard of discs for these?
Interesting. Would love those two titles.
Thanks given by:
FilmFreakosaurus (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #51
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
Hopefully I'm not reading in too much but the Vudu availability doesn't bode well for disc release. In my experience in looking at Fox' choices regarding the MGM catalog in recent years, if it looks, walks, acts and quacks like a duck . . .

The 'only' wild card is what role Twilight Time may play in the UHD BD release landscape.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:40 PM   #52
Special Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
Hopefully I'm not reading in too much but the Vudu availability doesn't bode well for disc release. In my experience in looking at Fox' choices regarding the MGM catalog in recent years, if it looks, walks, acts and quacks like a duck . . .

The 'only' wild card is what role Twilight Time may play in the UHD BD release landscape.
Yeah, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around MGM's distribution deals. I know Fox is supposed to be their main disc distributor. But being on Vudu in DV, does that mean they are doing digital releases themselves? Or does Warner have a hand in it? Because as we all know, Fox does not do Vudu UHD.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #53

Feb 2016

Just give me spectre already mgm...
Old 02-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #54
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post

But I thought that, as with most of these distribution deals, it's the content owner that dictates what is to be released and when, which is then facilitated by the distributor who do all the donkey work in actually getting X disc into the marketplace. If Fox held such sway over the MGM catalogue then surely they'd have pumped out a fair few UHDs under that banner already?

As an aside, it was a surprise seeing the MGM branding all over the Sony UHD of Magnificent Seven, I'd clean forgotten it was an MGM property (co-produced with Sony as part of the Bond deal which also saw things like Jump Street end up as a Sony/MGM joint).
Old 02-10-2017, 04:47 PM   #55
Banned

Mar 2015

Poltergeist (1982) anniversary in 2017. I can't wait to see MGM consider about 4K UHD. I hope the studio made new remix Atmos or DTS-X
Old 02-10-2017, 04:50 PM   #56
Special Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
But I thought that, as with most of these distribution deals, it's the content owner that dictates what is to be released and when, which is then facilitated by the distributor who do all the donkey work in actually getting X disc into the marketplace. If Fox held such sway over the MGM catalogue then surely they'd have pumped out a fair few UHDs under that banner already?

As an aside, it was a surprise seeing the MGM branding all over the Sony UHD of Magnificent Seven, I'd clean forgotten it was an MGM property (co-produced with Sony as part of the Bond deal which also saw things like Jump Street end up as a Sony/MGM joint).
Creed was an MGM/Warner movie which has a UBD and digital UHD on Vudu. Me Before You, If I Stay, and Hot Pursuit were Warner/MGM movies that don't have UBDs but do have digital UHD on Vudu. Hence adding to my confusion.

I can understand when MGM partners with a company to produce a new movie (Sony and Warner), the other company distributes it in their own way. But Princess and Silence were not produced by them, and fall into the murky backfile distribution catalog. Supposedly that should be Fox since these are post-1986. But going by these releases, I'd say Warner is handling them. So I'm still confused. Unless this is a signal that Fox may finally start releasing digital UHD on Vudu?
Old 02-10-2017, 05:04 PM   #57
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

But the realms of streaming are themselves murkier waters, as why would a studio even need an intermediary to "distribute" it on their behalf? (I'm not arguing here, just asking questions!)

As for Silence, it was made by Orion but is now owned by MGM, that part's pretty simple. Princess' video rights appear to lie with MGM in the US (and are all over the place across the world, e.g. Lionsgate have it in the UK!) so that also seems pretty simple re: MGM branching out into an OTT platform.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:14 PM   #58
Special Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
But the realms of streaming are themselves murkier waters, as why would a studio even need an intermediary to "distribute" it on their behalf? (I'm not arguing here, just asking questions!)

As for Silence, it was made by Orion but is now owned by MGM, that part's pretty simple. Princess' video rights appear to lie with MGM in the US (and are all over the place across the world, e.g. Lionsgate have it in the UK!) so that also seems pretty simple re: MGM branching out into an OTT platform.
Agreed on the murkiness. But the latest Fox/MGM deal says it covers digital too, according to Deadline:

Quote:
MGM and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment have renewed their existing worldwide agreement through June 2020, the companies said today. Fox will continue to handle marketing and distribution services for Blu-ray and DVD, and manage the operations and marketing of Digital HD and transactional VOD for MGM’s film library.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #59
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

There we are then, question answered. Thanks for that. Looks like Fox are intu Vudu then, no?
Old 02-10-2017, 05:45 PM   #60
Special Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
There we are then, question answered. Thanks for that. Looks like Fox are intu Vudu then, no?
Possibly. It just seems weird they would dip their toe with 2 MGM catalog titles. I would hope for a clearer signal, like maybe Assassin's Creed or Hidden Figures next month.

Plus, Vudu being a Dolby Vision-only house at the moment makes it another odd move for Fox. I know they release DV theatrically, but they haven't made any announcements/alignments about DV for home.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (02-10-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists