Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.64
11 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
 
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
1 hr ago
Interstellar 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Shazam! 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00
 
Jurassic Park Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$40.00
 
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Saving Private Ryan 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Captain Marvel 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
 
Men in Black: International 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96
 
Crank 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Rambo 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2016, 04:57 AM   #41
ray0414 ray0414 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
ray0414's Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Michigan, USA, 35yo
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uther View Post
Errr, no I do not understand what you mean. The cameras used at the time are what we call SDR.



The HDR 'pop' is pretty much the only thing HDR enthusiasts write about.


That is not true. The dynamic range on film was always there, we just never had the ability to extract it all from the original.


Watch this video. It's extremely informative.


https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yP_CsYFl_Ts
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
zmarty (06-28-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 05:08 AM   #42
RealorFake4K RealorFake4K is offline
Active Member
 
RealorFake4K's Avatar
 
Mar 2016
Nashville
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by uther View Post
The cameras used at the time are what we call SDR.

The HDR 'pop' is pretty much the only thing HDR enthusiasts write about.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:21 PM   #43
Doctorossi Doctorossi is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Doctorossi's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
83
438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
The dynamic range on film was always there, we just never had the ability to extract it all from the original.
The thing is, because there was no medium to present that film latitude to an audience, the movies weren't designed to. So that latitude's presence on the film negative doesn't mean it has any place in a finished product that's presented to an audience. A presentation of this additional latitude to an audience in a film that was never designed to include it is an adulterated revision of the film, pure and simple.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:28 PM   #44
dvdmike dvdmike is offline
Banned
 
Jun 2010
1069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
That is not true. The dynamic range on film was always there, we just never had the ability to extract it all from the original.


Watch this video. It's extremely informative.


https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yP_CsYFl_Ts
Person paid to plug product in plugs product shocker
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:31 PM   #45
Opips3 Opips3 is offline
Banned
 
Mar 2015
31
329
2
Default

Technology,

Long past, T.V. don't have color, only white and black screen.
T.V. was improved colors imperfect.

More improvement colors DCI rec.708 ....better...more better technology.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:17 AM   #46
Paul.R.S Paul.R.S is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Paul.R.S's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Hollywood, California
20
198
42
1
3
Default

"MGM & 20th Century Fox Renew Home Entertainment Deal"
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Opips3 (07-06-2016), tyrok (06-28-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 02:06 AM   #47
Opips3 Opips3 is offline
Banned
 
Mar 2015
31
329
2
Default

I waiting Spectre and SKYFALL UHD 4K....

I must have... SKYFALL UHD 4K with Atmos Double dip for me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:18 AM   #48
Rich1631 Rich1631 is offline
Senior Member
 
Jul 2007
New Jersey, USA
13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opips3 View Post
I waiting Spectre and SKYFALL UHD 4K....

I must have... SKYFALL UHD 4K with Atmos Double dip for me.
Yup. Likewise. Need these pronto. Hoping we get Spectre this year because of the Fox renewal.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Opips3 (07-06-2016)
Old 02-10-2017, 01:14 AM   #49
puddy77 puddy77 is offline
Special Member
 
Jan 2008
1
Default

Vudu just added UHD Dolby Vision versions of The Princess Bride and Silence of the Lambs. Anyone heard of discs for these?
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
flyry (02-10-2017), zmarty (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 03:15 AM   #50
TauHeel05 TauHeel05 is offline
Special Member
 
TauHeel05's Avatar
 
Mar 2007
North Carolina
592
4439
1
18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
Vudu just added UHD Dolby Vision versions of The Princess Bride and Silence of the Lambs. Anyone heard of discs for these?
Interesting. Would love those two titles.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
FilmFreakosaurus (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #51
Paul.R.S Paul.R.S is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Paul.R.S's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Hollywood, California
20
198
42
1
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
Vudu just added UHD Dolby Vision versions of The Princess Bride and Silence of the Lambs. Anyone heard of discs for these?
Hopefully I'm not reading in too much but the Vudu availability doesn't bode well for disc release. In my experience in looking at Fox' choices regarding the MGM catalog in recent years, if it looks, walks, acts and quacks like a duck . . .

The 'only' wild card is what role Twilight Time may play in the UHD BD release landscape.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:40 PM   #52
puddy77 puddy77 is offline
Special Member
 
Jan 2008
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
Hopefully I'm not reading in too much but the Vudu availability doesn't bode well for disc release. In my experience in looking at Fox' choices regarding the MGM catalog in recent years, if it looks, walks, acts and quacks like a duck . . .

The 'only' wild card is what role Twilight Time may play in the UHD BD release landscape.
Yeah, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around MGM's distribution deals. I know Fox is supposed to be their main disc distributor. But being on Vudu in DV, does that mean they are doing digital releases themselves? Or does Warner have a hand in it? Because as we all know, Fox does not do Vudu UHD.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #53
nugget2016 nugget2016 is offline
Active Member
 
Feb 2016
Default

Just give me spectre already mgm...
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #54
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Blu-ray King
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
435
1645
5
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
Hopefully I'm not reading in too much but the Vudu availability doesn't bode well for disc release. In my experience in looking at Fox' choices regarding the MGM catalog in recent years, if it looks, walks, acts and quacks like a duck . . .

The 'only' wild card is what role Twilight Time may play in the UHD BD release landscape.
But I thought that, as with most of these distribution deals, it's the content owner that dictates what is to be released and when, which is then facilitated by the distributor who do all the donkey work in actually getting X disc into the marketplace. If Fox held such sway over the MGM catalogue then surely they'd have pumped out a fair few UHDs under that banner already?

As an aside, it was a surprise seeing the MGM branding all over the Sony UHD of Magnificent Seven, I'd clean forgotten it was an MGM property (co-produced with Sony as part of the Bond deal which also saw things like Jump Street end up as a Sony/MGM joint).
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:47 PM   #55
Opips3 Opips3 is offline
Banned
 
Mar 2015
31
329
2
Default

Poltergeist (1982) anniversary in 2017. I can't wait to see MGM consider about 4K UHD. I hope the studio made new remix Atmos or DTS-X
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:50 PM   #56
puddy77 puddy77 is offline
Special Member
 
Jan 2008
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
But I thought that, as with most of these distribution deals, it's the content owner that dictates what is to be released and when, which is then facilitated by the distributor who do all the donkey work in actually getting X disc into the marketplace. If Fox held such sway over the MGM catalogue then surely they'd have pumped out a fair few UHDs under that banner already?

As an aside, it was a surprise seeing the MGM branding all over the Sony UHD of Magnificent Seven, I'd clean forgotten it was an MGM property (co-produced with Sony as part of the Bond deal which also saw things like Jump Street end up as a Sony/MGM joint).
Creed was an MGM/Warner movie which has a UBD and digital UHD on Vudu. Me Before You, If I Stay, and Hot Pursuit were Warner/MGM movies that don't have UBDs but do have digital UHD on Vudu. Hence adding to my confusion.

I can understand when MGM partners with a company to produce a new movie (Sony and Warner), the other company distributes it in their own way. But Princess and Silence were not produced by them, and fall into the murky backfile distribution catalog. Supposedly that should be Fox since these are post-1986. But going by these releases, I'd say Warner is handling them. So I'm still confused. Unless this is a signal that Fox may finally start releasing digital UHD on Vudu?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:04 PM   #57
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Blu-ray King
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
435
1645
5
12
Default

But the realms of streaming are themselves murkier waters, as why would a studio even need an intermediary to "distribute" it on their behalf? (I'm not arguing here, just asking questions!)

As for Silence, it was made by Orion but is now owned by MGM, that part's pretty simple. Princess' video rights appear to lie with MGM in the US (and are all over the place across the world, e.g. Lionsgate have it in the UK!) so that also seems pretty simple re: MGM branching out into an OTT platform.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:14 PM   #58
puddy77 puddy77 is offline
Special Member
 
Jan 2008
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
But the realms of streaming are themselves murkier waters, as why would a studio even need an intermediary to "distribute" it on their behalf? (I'm not arguing here, just asking questions!)

As for Silence, it was made by Orion but is now owned by MGM, that part's pretty simple. Princess' video rights appear to lie with MGM in the US (and are all over the place across the world, e.g. Lionsgate have it in the UK!) so that also seems pretty simple re: MGM branching out into an OTT platform.
Agreed on the murkiness. But the latest Fox/MGM deal says it covers digital too, according to Deadline:

Quote:
MGM and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment have renewed their existing worldwide agreement through June 2020, the companies said today. Fox will continue to handle marketing and distribution services for Blu-ray and DVD, and manage the operations and marketing of Digital HD and transactional VOD for MGM’s film library.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #59
Geoff D Geoff D is offline
Blu-ray King
 
Geoff D's Avatar
 
Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland
435
1645
5
12
Default

There we are then, question answered. Thanks for that. Looks like Fox are intu Vudu then, no?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:45 PM   #60
puddy77 puddy77 is offline
Special Member
 
Jan 2008
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
There we are then, question answered. Thanks for that. Looks like Fox are intu Vudu then, no?
Possibly. It just seems weird they would dip their toe with 2 MGM catalog titles. I would hope for a clearer signal, like maybe Assassin's Creed or Hidden Figures next month.

Plus, Vudu being a Dolby Vision-only house at the moment makes it another odd move for Fox. I know they release DV theatrically, but they haven't made any announcements/alignments about DV for home.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (02-10-2017)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:47 AM.