Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Death Note: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$14.96
10 hrs ago
D-Day: Normandy 1944 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
4 hrs ago
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95
6 hrs ago
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99
6 hrs ago
Ponyo (Blu-ray)
$21.49

Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.96
16 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Richard Jewell (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 12-08-2019, 07:19 PM   #19641
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottishguy View Post
Still no clear answer on what's changing for the worse.
I answered.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:21 PM   #19642
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
If I could do 1:1 downloads of movies without the DRM that makes us use proprietary software, specific devices, and internet authentication to play them, I would be fine with that.

But that's not the reality, is it? Digital downloads are NOT 1:1 versions, except for the exorbitantly priced Kaleidescape system, and they are all riddled with oppressive DRM.
yeah absolutely, that is definitely something important.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:35 PM   #19643
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Iím not smart enough to think of that according to you.
sorry if I ruffled your feathers with

Quote:
For me have a nice conversation with some smart guys, have a good laugh at Alchav, see Steedeel's fear of the week.....

you should not be such a snowflake it was not meant to exclude you from the conversations with smart guys, but to honor and emphasize the reality that your fear of the week is one of the reasons that I look forward to reading this thread every weekend.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:42 PM   #19644
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
sorry if I ruffled your feathers with

you should not be such a snowflake it was not meant to exclude you from the conversations with smart guys, but to honor and emphasize the reality that your fear of the week is one of the reasons that I look forward to reading this thread every weekend.
I donít have a fear of the week. Itís pretty much the same half a dozen over the years.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:07 PM   #19645
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
I don’t have a fear of the week. It’s pretty much the same half a dozen over the years.
You are one of the greenest people here as often as you recycle those fears.

Last edited by Vilya; 12-08-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:35 PM   #19646

Dec 2014
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
I think there is too much hate in the world, and I'm not a troll I was here long before you. Like bhampton says Merry Christmas. We are all entitled to our views.
This is amusing. You continually spread falsehoods and denigrate people's chosen format and then say there is too much hate in the world when called on it. I don't hate you. But I will call you out for your purposefully confrontational and ill informed posts. You have been proven incorrect time and time again yet still post your inane nonsense. As I have stated previously, you are either incapable of rational thought or do it intentionally to get a rise out of people. My mistake was taking the bait, which I will no longer do.

I hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas.

Last edited by Ender14; 12-09-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 02:37 PM   #19647

Dec 2014
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cminer72 View Post
Strange you are attacked for pointing out the obvious. I like my disc collections of old tv shows or Marvel movies for example, but I have far more digital copies than physical and I have three or four digital subscriptions to services. And I watch the digital copies if given the choice due to not having to get up and switch discs. Plus most digital is streamed in Dolby Vision, which is not the case with discs. It is less prominent on disc. The bottom line is disc sales are declining. Partly due to people gravitating towards digital, but also due to stores stocking less discs and specialty stores going our of business (due to declining disc sales). For most people, it's cheaper to have a few subscriptions than to buy multiple discs per month. There are many people who won't buy anything until it's dirt cheap on Black Friday. That doesn't help the cause either. Will plastic discs be a cool niche item like Vinyl in the future? Who knows? But right now, disc sales are declining. That is a fact.
I promise you he is not the victim here. Just check out his previous posts if you haven't already.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #19648
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
If we still have films, watchable on a big display at home, as the director intended, I will die happy.
On your death bed your last whispered words should be 'octagon was right'.

Not only would that be the right thing to do, nobody will know what the **** you're talking about. It could be your Rosebud.

Talk about a win/win.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (12-09-2019), The_Donster (12-12-2019), Vilya (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 03:53 PM   #19649
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender14 View Post
As I have stated previously, you are either incapable of rational thought or do it intentionally to get a rise out of people.
IMO, a combo of both. He is not a tech person and some of his post are that of a troll.
Thanks given by:
Ender14 (12-09-2019), Vilya (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #19650
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

The streaming provider/content/hardware CF continues, some more here.

I really hate being hostage to marketing people as in no Atmos on most 3D movies, no immersive audio on several Blu-ray titles while the UHD Blu-ray does have immersive audio. At least I can buy and use the UHD version.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 04:50 PM   #19651
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
On your death bed your last whispered words should be 'octagon was right'.

Not only would that be the right thing to do, nobody will know what the **** you're talking about. It could be your Rosebud.

Talk about a win/win.
Nah, my deathbed speech is telling someone where I buried the bodies!
Thanks given by:
Ender14 (12-10-2019), octagon (12-09-2019), The_Donster (12-12-2019), Vilya (12-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 05:55 AM   #19652
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cminer72 View Post
Strange you are attacked for pointing out the obvious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender14 View Post
I promise you he is not the victim here. Just check out his previous posts if you haven't already.
Yes you can look at my previous Posts, I just try and defend Digital because the hard core people that prefer Discs put down the Digital people. They say we don't appreciate Quality, and it's all about convenience. The Streaming Quality has come up, and it will get better. Just like Streaming from a Disc or Streaming from a Server, it's all about set-up and your equipment.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #19653
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Yes you can look at my previous Posts, I just try and defend Digital because the hard core people that prefer Discs put down the Digital people. They say we don't appreciate Quality, and it's all about convenience. The Streaming Quality has come up, and it will get better. Just like Streaming from a Disc or Streaming from a Server, it's all about set-up and your equipment.
Streaming quality has been stagnant for years. Are quality conscious customers like you the ones that will demand improvements from the streaming providers? Are cheapskates like you, who sniff around here for free codes, the ones who will be willing to pay for the extra bandwidth and data usage necessary to improve streaming? People like you who listen with their TV's speakers, or with headphones, are going to usher streaming into a new age of better quality and be willing to pay more to get it? Everything about your viewing and listening behavior is done on the cheap, but you would have us believe that you, and people like you, are willing to pay more to get improved quality.

I really doubt it. You already think streaming is awesome, so why would you want to pay more? Streaming customers are already happy, so why would the providers want to spend more? Just imagine how wonderful lossless audio would sound delivered via your TV's speakers if streaming were to ever offer it.

We do not put down "digital people"; we kill them in video games. There are plenty of other advocates for digital that frequent this thread and none of them draw the fire that you do because none of them behave like you do. None of them repeat patently stupid shit even after it has been refuted dozens of times- like you do. They do not troll like you do.

This disc buyer is a digital renter; I use digital services. If the quality wasn't acceptable, I would not spend my time or money using them. Acceptable quality is not the same thing as best quality; a distinction that you can not comprehend. For purchases, I want the best quality AND I want real ownership. Discs give me that; digital does not.

Last edited by Vilya; 12-10-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (12-10-2019), Ender14 (12-10-2019), sapiendut (12-10-2019), Steedeel (12-10-2019), Wendell R. Breland (12-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 10:17 AM   #19654
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
No it isnít. As many have said, itís about what bit rates the streaming services are putting out.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #19655
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009
Canada

Quote:
See my equipment list in my signature, add ATV 4K and Nvidia Shield, 600 mbps constant downstream... still the Quality of streaming is just barely acceptable. Netflix is still annoyingly banding with lots of artifacts.

The problem is not the setup. The problem is the excessively low bitrate used by providers.

Just count your lucky stars that youíve never seen a disc in action and/or have the proficiency to see the artifacts of streaming.
Thanks given by:
bhampton (12-10-2019), Ender14 (12-10-2019), Steedeel (12-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #19656
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Streaming quality has been stagnant for years. Are quality conscious customers like you the ones that will demand improvements from the streaming providers? Are cheapskates like you, who sniff around here for free codes, the ones who will be willing to pay for the extra bandwidth and data usage necessary to improve streaming? People like you who listen with their TV's speakers, or with headphones, are going to usher streaming into a new age of better quality and be willing to pay more to get it? Everything about your viewing and listening behavior is done on the cheap, but you would have us believe that you, and people like you, are willing to pay more to get improved quality.
Laugh all you want but cheapskates do far more to drive markets and innovation than the relative handful of consumers who have to be on the bleeding edge.

Don't get me wrong, the bleeding edge folks definitely do their part but - to pick one example - if everybody who wanted more hard drive space was willing to pay for it hard drive manufacturers would have very little incentive to squeeze every single byte out of every single platter (or to eliminate platters entirely, for that matter).

The people who want more stuff but aren't willing to pay for it are the people who drive innovation because suppliers know they can lure some of those cheapskates away from their competitors by offering more for the same price.

Bigger hard drives, bigger TV screens, higher resolutions, deeper blacks, brighter colors, better streaming quality, more channels, fewer commercials...all of these are ways suppliers can try differentiate themselves from competitors and as such they all provide incentives for suppliers to find ways to provide more for less.

So yeah, the cheapskates are going to be the ones who drive the quality of streaming forward.

Quote:
We do not put down "digital people";...
Uh huh. So when in this very post you called them cheapskates sniffing around for free codes you meant that in the good way? You were what?
Praising their frugality?

Let's be honest, the people who 'want the best and are willing to pay for it' aren't always shy about sneering at the great unwashed and their unenlightened ways.

Which is fine. Just own it.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:28 PM   #19657
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Laugh all you want but cheapskates do far more to drive markets and innovation than the relative handful of consumers who have to be on the bleeding edge.
You really believe cheapskates is the reason we have had all the advancements in audio and video? Not from where I sit, quad sound in 1972, 7 channels of audio in 1987, 78" projector in 1984, LaserDisc 1984, βetamax Hi-Fi in 1984, etc., etc. None of this was designed for the cheapskate market.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (12-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 04:32 PM   #19658
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
You really believe cheapskates is the reason we have had all the advancements in audio and video? Not from where I sit, quad sound in 1972, 7 channels of audio in 1987, 78" projector in 1984, LaserDisc 1984, βetamax Hi-Fi in 1984, etc., etc. None of this was designed for the cheapskate market.
I do, actually. Like I said, the bleeding edge folks definitely do their part but the cheapskates do the heavy lifting when it comes to pushing stuff forward because that's where the real money is.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:44 PM   #19659
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
Yes you can look at my previous Posts, I just try and defend Digital because the hard core people that prefer Discs put down the Digital people.
Only when streamers say streaming is = to disc because it is not. I have no problem if someone says they prefer to watch VHS tapes instead of Blu-ray disc because that is just a personal preference.

I have been streaming video since the late 90's and continue to stream several hours a week. It is mostly TV stuff.
Thanks given by:
Vilya (12-11-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #19660
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Quote:
I do, actually. Like I said, the bleeding edge folks definitely do their part but the cheapskates do the heavy lifting when it comes to pushing stuff forward because that's where the real money is.
Could be but you will have to show me the numbers. I would wager 80% (or more) of the viewing public watch on a 65" TV or less and listen via the TV speakers or a cheap sound bar.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (12-10-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology