Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$15.55

Superdome (Blu-ray)
$16.59
22 hrs ago
Planet Earth (Blu-ray)
$22.69
17 min ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Collector's Set (Blu-ray)
$197.99

Pray for the Wildcats (Blu-ray)
$16.59
5 hrs ago
Mr. Robot: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$78.14

Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$38.99

Yu Yu Hakusho: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Ultraseven: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Beast and the Magic Sword (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Attack on Titan: Season 3, Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$38.68

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$41.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 12-09-2019, 12:17 PM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
Oxford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasteddie516 View Post
They should have One of the Cheers cast move in with Frazier for Daphne to take care of. How about Sam Malone? Ted Danson will be available now that The Good Place is ending.
IF handled correctly, that could be brilliant, but done wrong, the character of Sam Malone would find himself outstaying his welcome. Danson is 71, and Grammer is 64, so it could make for a good 'Odd Couple' style situation.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:37 PM   #22
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

At Cornell University they have an incredible piece of scientific equipment known as the tunneling electron microscope. Now, this microscope is so powerful that by firing electrons you can actually see images of the atom, the infinitesimally minute building blocks of our universe. If I were using that microscope right now... I still wouldn't be able to locate my interest in a new series of Frasier.

But seriously, Frasier was a magnificent series at its best, the first US sitcom I can recall that was witty as well as funny. But it went on too long and problems set in, once the Niles/Daphne situation became known, it just dragged. Saul Rubinek's character was tedious, I hated the transformation of Roz from independent woman to boring single mom and worst of all was Anthony LaPaglia with an accent so awful I'm still not sure he was meant to be from Earth, never mind England. There were still great episodes and brilliant lines but watching after series 5 started to become a chore. It turned around toward the end and recovered it's lost consistency. I think it should be left alone, I'm rarely happy seeing actors return to roles when times have changed so much. The absence of John Mahoney means there will be no-one to puncture the brothers' pretensions. I prefer to remember them in Frasier's implausible multi-million dollar apartment, Chanel couch, Eames chair and view of the Space Needle.

The only thing I can think of that might work would be to have Fredrick grow up to be like Martin.

So much greatness, My Coffee With Niles is still one of my favourite TV episodes. Niles sniffing Daphne's perfume and saying "is that Forbidden?" and Frasier saying "In every sense of the word". I love Daphne's line to Niles "You may soon be sitting down to dinner with the woman of your dreams"
Old 12-09-2019, 01:45 PM   #23
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008
Farmingdale, NY, USA 11735

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRats View Post
At Cornell University they have an incredible piece of scientific equipment known as the tunneling electron microscope. Now, this microscope is so powerful that by firing electrons you can actually see images of the atom, the infinitesimally minute building blocks of our universe. If I were using that microscope right now... I still wouldn't be able to locate my interest in a new series of Frasier.

But seriously, Frasier was a magnificent series at its best, the first US sitcom I can recall that was witty as well as funny. But it went on too long and problems set in, once the Niles/Daphne situation became known, it just dragged. Saul Rubinek's character was tedious, I hated the transformation of Roz from independent woman to boring single mom and worst of all was Anthony LaPaglia with an accent so awful I'm still not sure he was meant to be from Earth, never mind England. There were still great episodes and brilliant lines but watching after series 5 started to become a chore. It turned around toward the end and recovered it's lost consistency. I think it should be left alone, I'm rarely happy seeing actors return to roles when times have changed so much. The absence of John Mahoney means there will be no-one to puncture the brothers' pretensions. I prefer to remember them in Frasier's implausible multi-million dollar apartment, Chanel couch, Eames chair and view of the Space Needle.

The only thing I can think of that might work would be to have Fredrick grow up to be like Martin.

So much greatness, My Coffee With Niles is still one of my favourite TV episodes. Niles sniffing Daphne's perfume and saying "is that Forbidden?" and Frasier saying "In every sense of the word". I love Daphne's line to Niles "You may soon be sitting down to dinner with the woman of your dreams"
Actually, Seinfeld was the first sitcom that was witty as well as funny as that came out 3 years before Fraiser.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #24
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012

One of my favorite shows, but it sounds like a terrible cashgrab idea, especially considering how bad Season Ten was (thankfully they upped their game when they knew the eleventh season would be their last).

The biggest problem is that John Mahoney was the anchor of the show: Martin could be played for laughs but he was the audience identification figure, the everyman to the eccentrics that revolved around him who said what the audience were thinking, who both brought them down to earth while highlighting their comic absurdity. Without him you run the risk of undiluted and over the top eccentricity and lose the delicate balancing act that made the show work. Mahoney/Martin never got enough credit for being the show's center of gravity, but without him it will probably become blindingly obvious unless they can find another great but believable character to serve the same purpose and avoid it turning into the Galactica 1980 of sitcoms.
Thanks given by:
CouncilSpectre (12-09-2019), Gacivory (12-09-2019), thecooldud (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

In the UK Seinfeld was broadcast at very strange times, I think I missed the first couple of series. My decaying memory thinks of Seinfeld and Frasier running at around the same time, even though that's wrong. I tend to associate Seinfeld more with spiteful misanthropy (which is why I love it) and Frasier with highbrow wit (Niles "I should warn you that while Frasier is a Freudian, I am a Jungian. So there'll be no blaming Mother today.")

Fraiser was huge on Channel 4, the actors did channel idents in character, my favourite was Niles watching Daphne doing the cleaning and saying "I'll pay you if you'll dust me"
Old 12-09-2019, 02:37 PM   #26
Special Member

Oct 2011
330-hio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman slim View Post
In that case, Frasier never happened, because Cheers should have been left alone. Right?
Would be a "yes" for me. Frasier was always my least favorite character on Cheers.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:52 PM   #27
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008

Reverse it have Daphnes father or mother living with Niles and Daphne. This way Fraiser himself is not to overbearing on the reboot.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:55 PM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2012
Elmhurst, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3P0 View Post
Reverse it have Daphnes father or mother living with Niles and Daphne. This way Fraiser himself is not to overbearing on the reboot.
Daphnes mother and father were not good on the show. The actors were fine-I just didn't like the characters.
Thanks given by:
Aclea (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 03:26 PM   #29
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2013
TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazyForWeasley View Post
Would be a "yes" for me. Frasier was always my least favorite character on Cheers.
And yet, here you are, in a thread devoted to the character...
Thanks given by:
buck135 (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 05:01 PM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

I just watched Frasier for the first time this year, from July - November 2019. It is definitely THE funniest sitcom I've ever seen & I will even go so far as to say it's one of my top 10 favorite TV shows of all time. I also found it funnier than Cheers - even though it was technically a "Cheers" spin-off.

That being said, I am skeptical as to how well a "sequel" to the series will work. John Mahoney (Martin, Frasier & Niles' father) has passed, and I don't know if I want to see how much older the other cast members have gotten.

That also being said, I will probably at least check out the first episode. It will be interesting to see if Frasier ever ended up with the Laura Linney character, his final gf on the show; the final episodes of the series (2004) showed him having a brief relationship with her, right before she moved to Chicago. And, the season finale showed him flying to Chicago - presumably to go find her & see if she was still interested in him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3P0 View Post
The series ended in 2004, and Daphne's father & mother were getting on in years even then. So, since the 2020 re-boot will presumably take place in "real time", I would question whether either character is even alive 16 years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRats View Post
Disagree completely that the original Frasier series dragged as time went on, though I agree it's probably best to leave well enough alone & not do a sequel/re-boot.

I did feel the series was strong from S01 - S11. I don't remember one weak episode (the show is still fresh in my mind since I just saw it for the first time this year). If anything, I found the series improved as the seasons went on. The Niles/Daphne romance was still funny even after they started dating & got married.

I also found the S. Rubinek character hilarious in all of the episodes he was featured in, especially the one where he attended Niles/Daphne's "mock" wedding at the courthouse, where it was obvious he still carried a torch for Daphne.

A. LaPaglia (an Australian actor) did have an exaggerated UK accent, but that was done for humor & made the episodes (he was featured in) funny - especially considering the character was drunk all the time - LOL.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 12-09-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Thanks given by:
Archedamian (12-13-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 09:41 PM   #31
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
A. LaPaglia (an Australian actor) did have an exaggerated UK accent, but that was done for humor & made the episodes (he was featured in) funny - especially considering the character was drunk all the time - LOL.
LaPaglia's was indeed a thing of horror, but all the British accents from regular or recurring characters in the show were terrible - even the ones from genuine Brits. Jane Leeves in particular was widely ridiculed in the UK as the only Brit who can't do a British accent.

Last edited by Aclea; 12-09-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:02 PM   #32

Aug 2019
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey Jack View Post
They really ARE going to do "revival" seasons of every moderately popular show from the 80's and 90's, aren't they?
I'm not a fan, but Fraiser wasn't merely "moderately popular".

What does baffle me though, is that unremarkable/forgettable shows like Mad About You get a reboot. Quite frankly, they have failure written all over them.

And Murphy Brown was just inexplicable. The series isn't even available for purchase/streaming. How do they expect a revival to pique interest? And from whatever little I had seen when it was broadcast in Australia, there was nothing even remotely amusing about it. If the quality of the revival was any indication of the quality of the series in its heyday, I can't fathom why it was ever popular in the first place.

BH90210 was also a stupid misstep. Unless the reboot-but-not-really was sharp and witty (and I can't imagine that it would have been thanks to its mostly unironic teen soap roots), then they should have stuck to the "where are they now" formula and provided a glimpse into where the characters are some 20 years on.

I haven't seen too many revivals/reboots, but Seinfeld's anti-reunion via Curb Your Enthusiasm was satisfying enough, though they probably could have made that season run just a little longer than the standard 10 episodes as I thought that the arc hadn't quite lived up to its potential.

Beavis and Butt-head's brief revival in 2011 hadn't skipped a beat at all, and the tearing down of modern brain-dead MTV programming was ironically the funniest part of the revival.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows