Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Pacific Rim: Uprising 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.59

Skyscraper 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Geostorm 3D (Blu-ray)
$21.35
21 hrs ago
Goosebumps 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Boss Baby 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.12

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Doctor Who: Dark Water / Death in Heaven 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.82

Jurassic World 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.97

Sangaree 3D (Blu-ray)
$21.99

Shrek Forever After 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.87

Pandas: The Journey Home 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D Players

Old 07-28-2010, 02:10 AM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008
USA

The cables I had where the Monster Cables THX 1000. I think on the box it said 3d ready or something in those lines.

Last edited by AutomaticDriver; 07-28-2010 at 02:15 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:58 AM   #22
3D Moderator

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmunro2003 View Post
There are no HDMI 1.4 cables just high speed HDMI cables (10.2 gbps or more).
Exactly correct, sir! Glad to see more people are beginning to understand that HDMI 1.4 is a software type, not a cable type!
Old 07-28-2010, 02:59 AM   #23
3D Moderator

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruisedEmu View Post
The cables I had where the Monster Cables THX 1000. I think on the box it said 3d ready or something in those lines.
All AudioQuest cables (available at Magnolia only) are cheaper, better quality and handle 3-D. The Monster are good too, but a little overpriced in my opinion.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:03 AM   #24
3D Moderator

Jul 2007

As for your question about the 3-D blu-ray player not working, this is all too common of a problem. The Samsung Blu-ray player (especially model 6900) seems to be crashing a lot, and not handshaking properly, even with the correct cables. Our Monsters vs Aliens demo freezes at least 1-2 times a day at the store because the player overheats. I end up having to unplug it and replug it in a lot. It's an attractive player to be sure, but it's functionality and unreliability make me wary of recommending it to customers. I prefer the Sony BD570 (which is incredibly fast with a slick interface) and the Panasonic (2 HDMI outputs is pretty awesome). The Panasonic is slower, but is a solid unit, and doesn't seem to have a problem playing ANY disc (including Monsters Vs. Aliens) and it is also backwards compatible with older receivers and checkerboard format DLP's. It's an awesome player.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:39 AM   #25

Nov 2009
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guypictures View Post
Exactly correct, sir! Glad to see more people are beginning to understand that HDMI 1.4 is a software type, not a cable type!
As I was saying a HDMI cable that is "1.4 certified" is not saying that its a 1.4 cable (just that it possesses the high speed necessary to run the 1.4 HDMI spec)...

Last edited by beaverboy56; 07-29-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:44 AM   #26

Nov 2009
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guypictures
The Samsung Blu-ray player (especially model 6900) seems to be crashing a lot, and not handshaking properly, even with the correct cables.
I can completely agree with this...my BD-C6900 has problems communicating with my Onkyo Receiver....it will only play PCM audio it won't take DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD...especially while playing 3D movies. I contacted Onkyo and they responded saying they had done extensive testing on the BD-C6900 and the problem lies within the Samsung BD Player (though most companies will blame the other).
Old 07-29-2010, 10:30 AM   #27

May 2010

You'd think that Samsung would get it right with the new player. Guess they are just as bad as the older models. Can't wait to read about the new player's firmware upgrade problems.

By the way if you have yet to experience Samsung support; good luck!
Old 07-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #28
3D Moderator

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverboy56 View Post
I can completely agree with this...my BD-C6900 has problems communicating with my Onkyo Receiver....it will only play PCM audio it won't take DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD...especially while playing 3D movies. I contacted Onkyo and they responded saying they had done extensive testing on the BD-C6900 and the problem lies within the Samsung BD Player (though most companies will blame the other).
I believe Onkyo. The Samsung won't even interface properly with the SAMSUNG receiver. Lol. (Or the Denon, Yamaha, Sony and Pioneer we have tried it on.) When you try and output 3D and HD audio at the same time with ANY cable from Monster's highest to the lowest, it never works. However, the Sony 570 (which required a firmware update) and the Panasonic have no such problems. The LG 3D Blu-ray player also seems to have a few problems with Cloudy W/Meatballs....lots of freezing issues. I'll never buy a Samsung Blu-ray product after seeing so many problems with them firsthand. I'd buy their TV's (with a protection plan for sure) but I'm sticking with Panasonic or Sony for Blu-ray.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:44 PM   #29
Power Member

Jul 2010
Chicago, IL

After a few conversations with Samsung, I'm sending my unit back to them for repair or a new one. Upon loading a Blu Ray movie and getting to the menu the picture would cut out and I'd only get sound. Then the sound would abruptly cut out for a few seconds then come back (still no picture) and eventually the sound & picture would unite. Also, when skipping chapters and Rew or FFWD then hitting play the sound would be absent for about 6 seconds. I didn't mind at first but grew weary of it. Might as well do it while it's still under warranty.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #30

May 2010

And now your frustrations begin. Let me warn you that their support for players is really a total nightmare. Never stop insisting on resolution date (yes uou will be calling at least once a week!). They will probably send it back to you saying it was repaired. You will probably find that it still doesn't work properly. As I did, you will probably send it back after a very frustrating call with support.

They will probably reclassify as replacement indicating that you "should" recieve new unit within 14 working days. Now the fun begins..... they never really mean it. Don't be afraid to get the retailer who sold you the unit involved (I had to); they actually have the responsibility of representing all their suppliers.

Good Luck.........

J
Old 08-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #31

Sep 2007
Somewhere between Bolton UK and Tokyo
-

Now you guys have really thrown a spanner in my works. I was considering stepping up to 3D and the Sammy BD-C6900 was at the top of my list along with the Onkyo receiver. Now I'm back to square one. So what does the general forum recommend?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #32
3D Moderator

Jul 2007

Keep the Onkyo receiver, just get a different Blu-ray player. I'd recommend the 570 from Sony, the PS3 (after the firmware update in September) or the Panasonic BDT300 if you need one now. (There is a BDT100 coming in September from Panasonic that should be a solid 3D player at a lower price point (I'm guessing $225-250). Just stay away from the Samsung 3-D blu-ray players for now. Samsung's first gen products are always extremely glitchy.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:45 AM   #33

Sep 2007
Somewhere between Bolton UK and Tokyo
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guypictures View Post
Keep the Onkyo receiver, just get a different Blu-ray player. I'd recommend the 570 from Sony, the PS3 (after the firmware update in September) or the Panasonic BDT300 if you need one now. (There is a BDT100 coming in September from Panasonic that should be a solid 3D player at a lower price point (I'm guessing $225-250). Just stay away from the Samsung 3-D blu-ray players for now. Samsung's first gen products are always extremely glitchy.
Cheers for that. The 570 was gonna be my 2nd choice. I already have my PS3 but I like to keep the movies seperate from the games console, thats why I have a Sony DBP-s360.
I think I will pick up the Onkyo 1st and then see what players are on the market at the end of the year.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #34

May 2009
Memphis, TN.
Default "Cannot load this disc, please check disc"

I have the 6900 connected to Sammy 3D... Apps/Internet work, but when I load a 3D Blu, Blu, or DVD I get the message "Cannot load this disc, please check disc. I'm using firmware 1014.0 and I have also reset the unit. Any advice or has this happened to anyone else?
Old 08-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #35

Aug 2010
Default Samsung BDC5900 vs. 6900 vs any other..

I don'y mean to hijack this thread, but I can't post a new thread... sorry

I am replacing my Sony KDF-60-WE655 60 " LCD TV with the Panasonic TCP65VT25. The optical engine is failing and that costs more than the TV is worth.

So since this is a 3D TV, I am also getting a 3d Blu-ray player.

While I have researched the TV and decided on the Panasonic Vierra 3d, I have done little research on the 3d Blu-ray player.

I was told by a "salesman" the one I should get is the Samsung BDC5900, the latest one from Samsung. He even said the 5900 is a newer version than the 6900 despite the series number being lower????

Is he right?? Is the 5900 worth getting?? Or a different model and/or manufacturer preferred??

Sorry about my ignorance - I was not planning on getting a player now, but TV is being delivered tomorrow.

Thanks for all replies in advance,
Old 08-21-2010, 11:25 PM   #36
Power Member

May 2010

Hmm, I've just been reading over this thread. I own the 6900. It was the only available 3D player when I purchased my TV. The first one I got worked for one days use. The second day I tried to use it, it would get no power, the thing was completely dead. No lights would come on, nothing.

I returned it and got a different one. This time after one days use the open close light button no longer lit up. It would still open and close, but there was no light there. So I returned that one too.

So far the third and last one that was in stock at the store has been working fine. I've been using it since April. At first there was a little bit of skipping with Monsters vs Aliens. But that only happened a couple of times and has not been a problem since. The HD soundtracks have been working fine with my Denon 3D pass through receiver too. I do have a four year service plan on it. Now hearing about all the Samsung problems I wish I would have gotten the service plan on the TV too. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed on that one.

I have a question though. What is handshaking? And how do I tell if there is a problem with it?
So far I've been getting incredible picture quality. I don't notice anything out of the norm. But if something is out of place that cannot be corrected, I would rather get a better quality player, than be stuck with something inferior.

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 08-21-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #37
3D Moderator

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug2255 View Post
I don'y mean to hijack this thread, but I can't post a new thread... sorry

I am replacing my Sony KDF-60-WE655 60 " LCD TV with the Panasonic TCP65VT25. The optical engine is failing and that costs more than the TV is worth.

So since this is a 3D TV, I am also getting a 3d Blu-ray player.

While I have researched the TV and decided on the Panasonic Vierra 3d, I have done little research on the 3d Blu-ray player.

I was told by a "salesman" the one I should get is the Samsung BDC5900, the latest one from Samsung. He even said the 5900 is a newer version than the 6900 despite the series number being lower????

Is he right?? Is the 5900 worth getting?? Or a different model and/or manufacturer preferred??

Sorry about my ignorance - I was not planning on getting a player now, but TV is being delivered tomorrow.

Thanks for all replies in advance,
Personally, I would stay away from all Samsung Blu-ray player products. The salesperson probably hasn't ever used the samsung at home and is probably recommending it based on the specs and features, not reliability. I have the BDP-570 from Sony and have used the Panasonic BDT-300 extensively. You can't go wrong with either one!
Old 08-22-2010, 07:07 PM   #38
Power Member

May 2010

Never mind. I googled my handshaking question and found the answer. So far no problems like that with my Samsung player. I guess as long as it keeps working fine I'll keep using it. So far I've not come across any movies that won't play on it either. I also like that it has wireless internet. I know it's not as good as wired, but for the moment it's wireless or nothing.

Tha1guypictures. I'm taking note of the players you have mentioned. If I decide I need a different one I'll look into those for sure. Thanks for the suggestions.

I guess if you want the free starter kit you have to buy the Samsung player anyway. I actually almost got a Sony player and the free starter kit. Because after I returned the second Samsung player I asked them for a different brand. They obliged and gave me a Sony. It was also much cheaper. But it turned out the Sony wasn't actually 3D ready like it said on the box. It was ready to get the 3D firmware update that would be available down the road. I wasn't Ok with waiting to watch my 3D movie so I had to go with the Samsung. Luckily the third one works good.

Last edited by Lovemy3D; 08-22-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #39

Aug 2010
Wakefield, England
United Kingdom samsung 3D package

ive just bought the samsung le40c750 tv which came with a 5900 model 3d blu ray player and 4 pairs of glasses free - all for 999 at Comet.

having been disappointed with my 720 Sony Bravia (preferred CRT over it) I have to say i am blown away by how amazing the picture is on the Sammy - SD is great; HD amazing and I watched a DVD last night which the player upscaled to 1080i and it was stunning - the film looked like i was watching it thru a window!

the 2D-3D conversion even works on SD stuff and gives great depth.

am just about to order my first 3D blu-ray title (only 1 choice - Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs) - 15 at Amazon - so can't wait to see how good it is in 3D.

your threads about Sammy 3D blu-ray players have scared me a little but at this price I am happy just with the TV's amazing picture.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #40
Special Member

Sep 2007
Central NJ

Any insider know why Samsung's own players don't support the checkerboard 3D format needed for their very own 1080p "3D Ready" DLP sets?

Panasonic is the only company doing 3D right at the moment IMO for being the most compatible with what current buyers already own.

There are a lot of DLP Sammys and Mits out there that can play 3D now.

No silly hdmi 1.4 needed. (Yet another scam to get us to spend our money every 6 months.)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D Players

Tags
samsung 3d player