Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Doctor Who: Tom Baker - Complete Season Seven (Blu-ray)
$55.29

Fear the Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$38.81

Armored Trooper Votoms: TV Collection (Blu-ray)
$33.19

Damages: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.08

Doctor Who: Resolution (Blu-ray)
$18.99
6 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$31.99
22 hrs ago
Lonesome Dove (Blu-ray)
$4.99
2 hrs ago
The Last Ship: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$28.26

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
$37.99

Westworld: Season One 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.50

The Magic Flute (Blu-ray)
$27.37

2019 CFP National Championship (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 12-09-2018, 08:27 PM   #701
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
The color is not downgraded.

Sure it is. It's not even a Rec 709 gamut on DVD and with less resolution and dynamic range per pixel.
Thanks given by:
benji888578 (12-09-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #702
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyCosts View Post
Man I missed this show. Less forced views from Mcfarlane's atheist lens and more star trek tng era vibes and I'll be a happy dude.
It fascinates me how he wants to be tolerated for his views while being intolerant of others’ views, and I say this as an atheist myself. Being an atheist doesn’t make you dumber or smarter than anyone who believes. In South Park, for example, they made a 2-part episode saying how a world run by atheists doesn’t mean we’re gonna get peace, and the show’s co-created by Matt Stone, who’s also an atheist. Then again, I’m comparing a work by two geniuses and another by an incompetent hack who’s only beloved by Hollywood because he almost died on 9/11.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:02 AM   #703
Special Member

May 2016
San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poya View Post
It fascinates me how he wants to be tolerated for his views while being intolerant of others’ views, and I say this as an atheist myself. Being an atheist doesn’t make you dumber or smarter than anyone who believes. In South Park, for example, they made a 2-part episode saying how a world run by atheists doesn’t mean we’re gonna get peace, and the show’s co-created by Matt Stone, who’s also an atheist. Then again, I’m comparing a work by two geniuses and another by an incompetent hack who’s only beloved by Hollywood because he almost died on 9/11.
I think you meant to post this in the "Unpopular TV Opinions" thread. Surely you wouldn't purposely visit a thread for a show you don't like just to start an argument, would you?
Old 12-11-2018, 09:27 AM   #704

Nov 2017

Quote:
I think McFarlane, as well as other popular atheists mostly aim their jokes/harsh words at religious people who want to base our social rules and laws on what the Bible says. I’m sure Seth could care less if Mary Jane Nobody from South Carolina is a Baptist or whatever, but if she became a lawmaker and started trying to enforce laws that fall in line with her religious views at the behest of the majority of others, well then he has a right (free speech, remember) to voice that that sucks.

When you get a few TV shows and movies, feel free to use your own social/religious undertones in the creative process.
Thanks given by:
Naiera (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 10:36 AM   #705
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers73 View Post
I think you meant to post this in the "Unpopular TV Opinions" thread. Surely you wouldn't purposely visit a thread for a show you don't like just to start an argument, would you?
Not really starting an argument. I got bored, I browsed some threads, I saw that post, I decided to comment. Nothing to look into there, other than my contempt for the guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbar_Faith View Post
I think McFarlane, as well as other popular atheists mostly aim their jokes/harsh words at religious people who want to base our social rules and laws on what the Bible says. I’m sure Seth could care less if Mary Jane Nobody from South Carolina is a Baptist or whatever, but if she became a lawmaker and started trying to enforce laws that fall in line with her religious views at the behest of the majority of others, well then he has a right (free speech, remember) to voice that that sucks.

When you get a few TV shows and movies, feel free to use your own social/religious undertones in the creative process.
When Roger Sterling did it, he did it in an entertaining way that still resonates to this day. I support free speech but that doesn’t give you the right to abuse that power. And yes, leaders who try to force their beliefs into us, even if we don’t believe in them, is a problem, but MacFarlane seems to just despise religion, organized or otherwise, especially enough to compare devouts to Nazis at one point (that happened). Like I said, I am an atheist. I was raised an atheist. I honestly don’t care about religion and I don’t put any worry over a being who may not even exist. But I understand that some use their belief as a placebo and at least some of them actually don’t take the Bible at face value and only take in the lessons that aren’t horribly outdated.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #706
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Oswego, IL.

Orville is a 4 disc set. All the featurettes are on disc 4.

They are as follows.
The Paley Center for Media Q&A with Cast and Creative Team from PaleyFest 2018
Inside Look
Directed By
The First Six Missions
Designing the Future
The Orville Takes Flight
The Science of The Orville: Quantum Drive and Alien Life
Crafting Aliens
A Better Tomorrow

Each disc has 3 episodes
Thanks given by:
Michael24 (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #707
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
California

Wow! That's a lot more bonus features than I expected.

Edit: Found one review so far and sadly it doesn't look like there are any commentaries. Was hoping for at least a few.

Last edited by Michael24; 12-11-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:24 PM   #708
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
Wow! That's a lot more bonus features than I expected.
Wouldn't surprise me if they're just like 3 minutes each... but it's not on BD so to me it doesn't even exist on home video lol
Thanks given by:
FilmFreakosaurus (12-19-2018), stevo4264 (12-11-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 09:02 AM   #709
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Oswego, IL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin87 View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if they're just like 3 minutes each... but it's not on BD so to me it doesn't even exist on home video lol
Close, many run less than 2 minutes each.
Only that Paley Center for Media Q&A runs over 30 minutes and the First 8 Missions runs over 8 minutes.

Directed By featurette was a disappointment. They interviewed only one director, Jon Favreau. But towards the end is a distant shot of Jonathan Frakes. Thought they'd at least interview him or even Robert Duncan McNeill.

Last edited by DouglasRobert; 12-12-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #710

Nov 2017

So this may be nothing or a generic response, but I emailed Fox over them releasing more shows on Blu-ray, specifically The Orville. I hate buying DVDs but I had to get this one because I’m such a big fan of the show.

Anyway, I got a reply back to my request. My email to them was short (“Please start releasing TV Show seasons on Blu-ray again, specifically ‘The Orville’”) and the reply I got was equally short yet hopeful, simply saying “We will soon!”.

So maybe they are looking at how the DVD sales go, or maybe he’s just giving a generic positive reply, who knows. I remain hopeful though.

https://imgur.com/gallery/W2FJj04
Old 12-16-2018, 02:26 AM   #711
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Alabama

Quote:
So this may be nothing or a generic response, but I emailed Fox over them releasing more shows on Blu-ray, specifically The Orville. I hate buying DVDs but I had to get this one because I’m such a big fan of the show.

Anyway, I got a reply back to my request. My email to them was short (“Please start releasing TV Show seasons on Blu-ray again, specifically ‘The Orville’”) and the reply I got was equally short yet hopeful, simply saying “We will soon!”.

So maybe they are looking at how the DVD sales go, or maybe he’s just giving a generic positive reply, who knows. I remain hopeful though.

https://imgur.com/gallery/W2FJj04
I was wondering to myself that maybe Fox was just waiting to see what Disney plans to do with them before sinking a bunch of money into Blu-ray production for shows.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:05 PM   #712

Dec 2012
NW U.S.

Quote:

Careful, that kind of thinking creates Lindelofs, and there's at least one too many of those already.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:44 AM   #713
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
Funkytown

After watching Doctor Who crash and burn, it'll be nice to get back to a show that can do political and cultural topics with a balance of fun and generally good - well, occasionally uneven - writing.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:31 AM   #714
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
California

I already knew season two was premiering December 30(!) but the other day I saw an ad on TV saying that it will also be premiering after a football game. Haha! So it'll probably be delayed like the series premiere was, which I remember was pushed back almost 35 minutes or so. Premiering it the night before New Year's Eve (while most people will probably still be out because of the holidays) and after an event that could delay it; you'd think Fox was deliberately trying to sabotage its ratings.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:42 AM   #715
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Fez View Post
After watching Doctor Who crash and burn, it'll be nice to get back to a show that can do political and cultural topics with a balance of fun and generally good - well, occasionally uneven - writing.
Doctor Who’s been the best in years. What the hell are you talking about? Or is it because you agree more with MacFarlane’s backward views and don’t like to be challenged?

If it seems like I have this subscribed just to comment on here, I don’t. I just don’t know why this sudden dislike of one of the best Who runs in recent years.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:43 AM   #716
Special Member

Jan 2013

Quote:
Doctor Who’s been the best in years. What the hell are you talking about? Or is it because you agree more with MacFarlane’s backward views and don’t like to be challenged?
I don’t watch it but know people who do, and they in turn actively interact with other fans online etc. Ratings dropped dramatically as the season went on, and the overall sense from fans is that it was a poor season.

Last edited by Josep5349; 12-19-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:39 AM   #717
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2012
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
... you'd think Fox was deliberately trying to sabotage its ratings.
Par for the course with Fox and sci-fi shows.
Thanks given by:
FilmFreakosaurus (12-19-2018), Michael24 (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 03:57 PM   #718
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
Par for the course with Fox and sci-fi shows.
You would think Seth would know better than to trust Fox with anything sci-fi related. Fox is where that genre goes to die. Oh... and now CBS too.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:02 PM   #719
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin87 View Post
I was wondering to myself that maybe Fox was just waiting to see what Disney plans to do with them before sinking a bunch of money into Blu-ray production for shows.
Disney often doesn't release TV shows on BD either, so the Fox buy out may not help in this instance. In fact, Disney is more interested in streaming and it will probably hurt disc releases across the board.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:09 PM   #720
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmFreakosaurus View Post
In fact, Disney is more interested in streaming and it will probably hurt disc releases across the board.
This seems like a biased and odd statement because Disney has through Marvel quite a few 4K UHD discs this year, they released Wreck-It Ralph and The Lion King recently on 4K UHD, and they are re-releasing Lucasfilm's Willow on Blu-ray combo pack in 2019. That doesn't include the 4K UHDs for Mary Poppins, Mary Poppins Returns (unless it gets the same reaction as Christopher Robin), Ralph Breaks the Internet, Toy Story Quadrlogy, Captain Marvel, Avengers: Endgame.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows