Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$33.02

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Fascination Coral Reef 3D: Mysterious Worlds Underwater (Blu-ray)
$7.22

Justice League 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Stewardesses 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.14

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61

The Secret Life of Pets 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.12

The Three Stooges in 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.02

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 12-28-2015, 11:53 PM   #21

Feb 2010
Newton, Ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
Vizio no longer makes 3D sets.
Unfortunately, It's true. Vizio got out of the 3D. And to be honest they made it affordable. I bought a 32in Passive TV from them with some extra money I had from my 18th birthday (in 2011). And I was far from disappointed. I still use that TV religiously to this day.

They did a good job of making 3D affordable and enjoyable for all. But yeah they are out of that game for a while.

Do check out Best Buy's website to find one. Their search feature works well. You can select the 4k TV category and then add 3D as a search parameter in the sidebar. Needless to say Samsung is staying loyal to active 3D and LG is pressing through. And then as usual Sony is Sony, pouring money in as much as possible to keep 3D alive.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...All+Categories
Old 12-29-2015, 09:49 PM   #22

Oct 2011
Oxford, England, UK

Even if it isn't immensely popular, I see little reason for manufacturers to be dropping 3D, especially with 4K.

Passive 3D on 4K displays is great, glasses are light, cheap, flicker-free and don't require batteries/recharging. It can also display an image at up 3840*1080P.

In terms of manufacture it requires little more than an FPR (Film Patterned Retarder) on the display and a small bump in processing power. Glasses don't even need to be included; as long as the option is there.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:33 PM   #23

Jun 2015
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
Vizio no longer makes 3D sets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAILERSWIM View Post
Unfortunately, It's true. Vizio got out of the 3D. And to be honest they made it affordable. I bought a 32in Passive TV from them with some extra money I had from my 18th birthday (in 2011). And I was far from disappointed. I still use that TV religiously to this day.

They did a good job of making 3D affordable and enjoyable for all. But yeah they are out of that game for a while.

Do check out Best Buy's website to find one. Their search feature works well. You can select the 4k TV category and then add 3D as a search parameter in the sidebar. Needless to say Samsung is staying loyal to active 3D and LG is pressing through. And then as usual Sony is Sony, pouring money in as much as possible to keep 3D alive.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...All+Categories
I really like our 47" L.E.D. 3D Vizio TV we got back in 2011. With that being said, I absolutely hate watching anything 3D on it because it is horrible. Ghosting all the time and kind of shady very dark image. And the glasses aren't very comfortable either. Otherwise, I love the TV!! We watch all of the 3D stuff on our Epson 3020 projector.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new(er) Vizio set at all, especially a bigger one. I almost bought the 80-some" Vizio model at Walmart last year and earlier this year but something else always popped up that needed attention rather than buying a newer bigger tv.

As far as 3D being done, I've thought that way for the last 2 years maybe but they keep pumping out the new movies in 3D every year and 2016 looks like it is going to be a good year for 3D! It might have hit a stalemate for awhile but now it's taking off again, the best thing to keep it going and gain popularity is for big ticket blockbuster movies to be in 3D. It seems like the most common use of 3D is for animated kids movies but hopefully that changes to a more balanced genre-use of 3D.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:22 AM   #24
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchings View Post
Even if it isn't immensely popular, I see little reason for manufacturers to be dropping 3D, especially with 4K.

Passive 3D on 4K displays is great, glasses are light, cheap, flicker-free and don't require batteries/recharging. It can also display an image at up 3840*1080P.

In terms of manufacture it requires little more than an FPR (Film Patterned Retarder) on the display and a small bump in processing power. Glasses don't even need to be included; as long as the option is there.
It can, yes, if the manufacturers don't filter or otherwise lowball the 3D resolution anyway.

Had one 55" Sony 4K with passive. Virtually no crosstalk (yay!) but horrible stair-stepping and 540p resolution (boo!) because in 3D mode the panel only output 1080 of 2160 lines, split 540 to each eye. The other lines were simply turned off instead of being low-pass filtered which is what made it look so jagged.

So I got another 55" Sony 4K with active 3D and it's still at sub 1080p resolution. The low-pass filter is there this time so the aliasing is greatly reduced (yay!) but the crosstalk is terrible (boo!). (I had an active Sony 1080p 3D before these two sets, that was also ass for crosstalk.)

Basically, I'm sick of hunting around for the perfect (although I'd gladly take "almost but not quite" at this stage) 3D direct-view display so I'm done with it. No need to change my player or my amp, I've just been selling off my 3D discs instead and avoiding future 3D releases like the plague.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:32 PM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
I gave a tube Sony to a co-worker in 2006, vintage 1996. It's still going.

I have a 2003 70" projection set. I've replaced 2 lamps, watch it every day.

I have a 2007 52" XBR. It's in use as a monitor/backup set. Looks like it did the day I bought it.

I now have the 79" 4K. Never a glitch.

I still have every Sony player I've ever purchased. They all work fine.

I don't know what "proof" you have.

I'm with you Blu-Dog. I would love to see proof on his claim about Sony. Every Sony product I have ever owned has been solid. From cd players, dvd players to tv's ect I have never had an issue and if I did Sony was right there to make sure the issue was taken care of with little to no cost to me. Sony may not be the electronic's giant it once was but they still turn out some of the finest electronics in the world in my opinion.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:44 AM   #26

Mar 2008
Michigan where the weather changes from hour to hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Dont future new 4k tvs come with legacy 3D playback?
2016 models with the exception off LG have removed 3D
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (03-14-2016)
Old 03-14-2016, 02:53 PM   #27
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan A View Post
The high end Sony models have 3D too. But the list is definitely getting short. I think after watching movies with HDR, most 3D fans will end up preferring it. It's not 3D of course but the higher dynamic range does add quite a bit of depth.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:19 PM   #28
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

This is bleak isn't it? It makes me worry about the same thing happening to tv sets in general. There is going to be a young generation that grow up not owning a tv. (Currently the 15-24 age group) I think we are on borrowed time until this reality affects us. I am dreading the day when we have to scurry around just to find a large display. It may be 15-20 years away (I hope a lot more) but the day will come. I can just about cope without 3D, big screen though? That is a different prospect. Yet film fans still seem to be rushing to Digital and they can't see what will happen. Maybe it won't happen in my lifetime. I am 39 so it probably will.

Anyway, I feel bitter disappointment that 3D maybe done with. With discs like House Of Wax and 3D Rarities I have really been into this stuff.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:03 AM   #29
Special Member

Jul 2009

Quote:
I think after watching movies with HDR, most 3D fans will end up preferring it. It's not 3D of course but the higher dynamic range does add quite a bit of depth.
But there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to have BOTH.
Thanks given by:
ilovenola2 (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 02:34 AM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post
But there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to have BOTH.
Hopefully they'll add it to the UHD spec in a few years, you never know. They only said they have no plans to add it at this time. But without that and with HDR all the rage, it does look bad.
Thanks given by:
ilovenola2 (03-17-2016), Steedeel (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 03:27 PM   #31

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan A View Post
Not true , Samsung is still offering 3D models as are others
Old 03-17-2016, 09:09 PM   #32
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIROK View Post
Not true , Samsung is still offering 3D models as are others
Samsung only has a single 3D model coming out this year (their most expensive one, the flagship KS9800), and LG only has it in their high-end models as well as Sony.

3D TVs are gravitating to the highest end TVs on the market. So if you want a current model TV, then you'll have to pay $$$.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/n...samsung-and-lg

Last edited by bruceames; 03-17-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:38 PM   #33

May 2016
Scotland

No point, it's all about 4k hdr now
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion