Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Amazon Prime Day is Now Live »
Prime: George Carlin Commemorative Co… $36.49 (96% claimed)
Prime: The Marx Brothers Silver Scree… $14.99 (76% claimed)
Prime: Apollo 11 $12.99 (72% claimed)
Prime: Alfred Hitchcock: The Ultimate… $49.99 (58% claimed)
Prime: Halloween $9.99 (46% claimed)
Prime: Blue Planet II 4K $22.89 (2 hours left)
Prime: Back to the Future: 30th Anniv… $14.99 (4 hours left)
Prime: The Bourne Ultimate Collection… $19.99 (7 hours left)
Prime: Spice & Wolf: Anime Classics C… $24.59 (4 hours left)
Prime: Jurassic World: 5-Movie Collec… $26.99 (6 hours left)
Prime: Shin Godzilla $14.39 (3 hours left)
Prime: The Fifth Element 4K (20th Ann… $15.99 (26% claimed)
Prime: Jurassic Park Collection 4K (2… $29.99 (5 hours left)
Prime: Serenity 4K $11.99 (5 hours left)
Prime: Fighting with My Family (Direc… $12.99 (7 hours left)
Prime: Jurassic Park Collection 3D $19.99 (19% claimed)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$34.95
2 hrs ago
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Stewardesses 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.95

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Good Dinosaur 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.04

Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.45

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61

Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.14

The Secret Life of Pets 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.12

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 01-17-2017, 01:10 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008
Default Sparse 3D Showtimes?

Anyone else's local theatres getting stingy with 3D showtimes? I first noticed it when Rogue One came out and my nearest Cinemark only had two 3D showtimes on the XD screen, at inconvenient times. Then, when Sing was released, they didn't show it in 3D at all and I had to go to the other local Cinemark slightly further from me.

Currently that nearest theatre now has one 3D showtime for Rogue One, admittedly at a decent time, and just two each for Underworld: Blood Wars and Monster Trucks. The slightly further theatre is 2D-only for Rogue One and only has one 3D showtime each for Underworld and Monster Trucks, both of which are past 9 PM (especially unreasonable for a family film).

I don't know if it's just a local thing or a Cinemark thing or if this is a wider trend. Anyone else noticed this lately?
Old 01-17-2017, 07:10 PM   #2

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFAlien View Post
Anyone else's local theatres getting stingy with 3D showtimes?

I don't know if it's just a local thing or a Cinemark thing or if this is a wider trend. Anyone else noticed this lately?
I haven't really kept up with this but it does seem that their are fewer 3D showings at my local AMC's. I have a hard time justifying the $4-$8 extra per ticket for 3D in the theater. I'd rather use that money to buy a 3D Blu-Ray disc ( at least until they stop producing them )
Old 01-18-2017, 02:27 AM   #3
Special Member

Nov 2014

In my experience there've always been less 3-D screenings, but I think the past three years there isn't the same push there was early on. I know I've had to make a point of seeing films in the first week or so, otherwise there's no guarantee a 3-D screening will be available. There'll often still be 3D screenings, but the time doesn't suit. I noticed one local cinema often restricts the 3D screenings to matinees in the second or third week. Perhaps people like to offset the expense of 3D with cheaper matinee prices. Or perhaps the cinema uses 3D to prop up profits during those hours.

It's expensive, but I just pony up. Unfortunately we're in a new era where 3D discs may not materialize, and it certainly won't help if the 3D box office was weak.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:13 PM   #4
Expert Member

Mar 2013

Well you also gotta wonder how many 3D screens/theatres they are equipped for. So if they aren't heavily equipped for 3D showings then the newer 3D offering would take over for the older release. rouge has been out for a month and so the newest film has taken its spot. Plus the theatres aren't the ones sometimes making the decision. I use to work in projection for 13 years and in the last 3-4 years 3D was just being setup in more and mor theatres and I was slowly pushed out for the digital age. Anyways, the studios will demand that the film must be shown in a certain size theater and offer 3D or not for like the first week or so. If some demands weren't met, then they would remove the film from showing at the theatre. We were only a 1 screen 3D theater when Avatar was release. It was selling out 3D shows all way until the beginning of March, but even with it performing well. We had to remove it for Alice in Wonderland or not show it at all. Then 3 weeks later the exact same thing happened for I think was How to Train Your Dragon. So there are many reasons to lack of 3D shows or not. I know in my area if they have a 3D release, they will show them in 3D for VIP/AVX theatres (first adult 18+ only and other Dolby Atmos equipped) I love my 3D but I do prefer it at home on my projector. Hopefully the 3D market won't completely disappear on us that way
Thanks given by:
Interdimensional (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 10:02 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

The theatre's equipped for plenty of 3D; the whole reason I posted the thread is because it's a downward trend I've been noticing of fewer/less-conveniently scheduled 3D showtimes as compared to my past experience with this same theatre.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:03 PM   #6
Expert Member

Jan 2011
Idaho

I have noticed the same thing with my local Cinemark usually the only time they have 3D on their Big D screen is a n early afternoon showing.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:23 AM   #7
Special Member

Jul 2009

I used to work in the theater business, I've heard that generally 2D showings sell more tickets than 3D lately- but of course that's largely because of the greedy upcharges. It's sad that they would rather drop 3D showings than drop the upcharges; if I ran a theater I would show 3D movies in 3D only- essentially show it the right way or not at all. Sure some people also don't "like" 3D, but they can just see a movie that was already made in 2D- I don't like Jennifer Lopez but if I go see a movie that she's in I'm not going to demand she be cut out of it.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:05 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2014
T.A.R.D.I.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post
I used to work in the theater business, I've heard that generally 2D showings sell more tickets than 3D lately- but of course that's largely because of the greedy upcharges. It's sad that they would rather drop 3D showings than drop the upcharges; if I ran a theater I would show 3D movies in 3D only- essentially show it the right way or not at all. Sure some people also don't "like" 3D, but they can just see a movie that was already made in 2D- I don't like Jennifer Lopez but if I go see a movie that she's in I'm not going to demand she be cut out of it.
This is utter nonsense. There isn't a single director presently who only shoots their movie ONLY for 3d, just because it's available in 3d.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:57 AM   #9
Special Member

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_who View Post
This is utter nonsense. There isn't a single director presently who only shoots their movie ONLY for 3d, just because it's available in 3d.
It's inherent in the process than any 3D movie produces a 2d version by default. And any colour movie can be viewed in black and white. A lot of the time, it'll work almost as well, but there are times when it just won't be as effective as with the colour.

It'd be a better situation if the films that were made in 3D, were made primarily for 3D. If 3D is worth doing, it has to add something you won't get with 2D alone. It has to be substantial.

Some people have eye problems, and problems with stereoblindness, and that's fair enough, no one would seek to punish them. But it's like how a deaf person might watch a film with subtitles on and without the benefit of sound. But that shouldn't be forced on everybody, and the film medium shouldn't be crippled trying to cater to that.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:26 AM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2012
Uk

I recently noticed this trend in my local theatre, only showing a few 3D versions, at times that were not convenient for me. I approached the manager to find out why they were reducing the number of 3D showings and he told me that they get too many complaints from people getting headaches and that most people really prefer 2D screenings. Even 2 members of my own family have 'gone off' 3D and won't go see a movie if it's only in 3D. Me. Well I look for a 3D showing first and then settle for 2D if it's not being shown. I know I can always watch the 3D version at home when the Blu-ray comes out.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:39 AM   #11
Special Member

Jul 2009

They didn't do separate 2D showings of 3D movies in the 80s- if you wanted to see Spacehunter, Treasure of the Four Crowns, Metalstorm or Jaws 3D, you either saw them in 3D or you didn't see them at all (though drive-ins did get 2D prints as their screens couldn't properly show polarized 3D.) The theater didn't charge extra for them either; I'll bet there would be far fewer "complaints" if they dropped the greedy upcharges. I was REALLY pissed when I saw a couple COMMERCIALS in 3D before the movie- if 3D really does cost more to show, then the revenue from showing the ads should have taken care of it.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:51 AM   #12
Expert Member

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post
They didn't do separate 2D showings of 3D movies in the 80s- if you wanted to see Spacehunter, Treasure of the Four Crowns, Metalstorm or Jaws 3D, you either saw them in 3D or you didn't see them at all (though drive-ins did get 2D prints as their screens couldn't properly show polarized 3D.) The theater didn't charge extra for them either; I'll bet there would be far fewer "complaints" if they dropped the greedy upcharges. I was REALLY pissed when I saw a couple COMMERCIALS in 3D before the movie- if 3D really does cost more to show, then the revenue from showing the ads should have taken care of it.
Although it is a hell of a lot easier to switch from a 2d to a 3d Digital print. Back then they had i think the 2 projectors setup for the 3D shows and probably didn't have a 2D print waiting on the side ready to go. Plus film prints are hell of expensive. Also back then they probably didn't have the platter system to help them out either.

At first i thought the surcharge was bad but needed for the rate we would change out the bulbs. Use to be in my theaters case that the bulb ran brighter and only for 1250-1500 hours max. Few reasons we did this because 1)they wanted the best picture quality for the shows and 2)they were scared that the bulb could/would explode and shatter the glass reflector that was inside the projector. Now on the 35mm projector we ran the bulbs between 2250-3000 hours (hell some held out until almost 3600+) Plus if the bulb exploded (which they did a few times) they had a metal reflector to hit off of. When i was leaving they were starting to run the bulbs into the 2000-2500 hour mark to save money.Plus we projectionists got booted out as it became a drag and drop setup and managers could did it themselves. So yeah i'm with you guys that the surcharge should be dropped if they aren't meeting the standards anymore to ask for the extra dough. Have had a few really bad outings because the screen was dull and blurry looking. Now i almost prefer waiting it out and watching it at home instead on my small modest projector setup.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:17 AM   #13
Special Member

Jul 2009

Platters came out in the early 70s, and all of the 80s 3D movies used the over/under format on a single projector with a special lens on it. Professional projectionists were already on the way out by then, so there would have been no way a multiplex would have run a 3D movie with two projectors as they did in the 1950s.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion