Best Wii U Game Deals

Best Wii U Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed (Wii U)
$17.07

Hello Kitty Kruisers (Wii U)
$49.99

Sonic Lost World (Wii U)
$19.49

Skylanders: Trap Team (Wii U)
$99.99

Star Fox Zero (Wii U)
$36.98

Tumblestone (Wii U)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo

Old 07-26-2016, 04:33 PM   #21
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
The latest version of SFII released for the SNES was Super Street Fighter II.

Super SFII Turbo was never released on it.
Yeah, I meant Street Fighter II Turbo. That was the one that sold a lot of SNES consoles.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:44 PM   #22
Power Member

Apr 2009

My favorite system, so many good titles!

ActRaiser
Ogre Battle
Final Fantasy II (IV)
Final Fantasy III (VI)
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Star Wars
Super Empire Strikes Back
Super Return of the Jedi
Secret of Mana
Soul Blazer
EVO: The Search for Eden
Super Mario Kart
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Street Fighter II
Killer Instinct
Mega Man X
Mega Man X2
Donkey Kong Country
Star Fox
F-Zero
Super Mario RPG
ClayFighter
SimCity
Old 07-26-2016, 11:08 PM   #23
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
Source?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argonaut_Games

"...if Nintendo allowed Argonaut to design custom hardware to extend the SNES to have true 3D capability. Nintendo agreed, so San hired chip designers and made the Super FX chip."

Founded 1982
Founder Jez San
Defunct October 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synops..._International

"The company was founded by Jez San to build upon the 3D accelerator technology previously developed for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System by a division of Argonaut Software. This forerunner to the ARC was originally called the Mario (Mathematical, Argonaut, Rotation & I/O) chip and later dubbed the Super FX. It went on to sell millions, at the time outselling ARM or any other RISC core."

http://www.anthrofox.org/starfox/superfx.html

"There was a time when there were millions of Super FX chips in the world. After fading from the limelight, the Super FX was retired quietly. It does not live on in any new form, but the success of the venture drove Argonaut and Ben Cheese to new heights. Argonaut RISC Cores, now called ARC International, supplies configurable CPU cores to other chip makers who can include them in their own designs. They compete alongside venerable names like ARM, MIPS, and Tensilica."

http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Super_FX

"The Super FX chip was designed by Argonaut Games, who also co-developed (with Nintendo) the 3D space scrolling shooter video game Star Fox to demonstrate the additional polygon rendering capabilities the chip brought to the SNES."

My guess is that this remainder of the company wants lots of $$$ for the rights. And that for basically 2 games only (Star Fox + Yoshi's Island)? Yeah, there are a few more games, but those do not really matter. There is also Doom, but who cares. Nintendo couldn't publish that anyway.

Also just take a look at the Super/FX chip. It says (M) 1992/1993 A/N Inc.
(M) is a copyright symbol for masked work (Integrated circuit layout design protection). Other SNES chips explicitly say (C) Nintendo. Super/FX doesn't. And even software could be affected too.

Last edited by jimidini; 07-26-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:12 PM   #24
Expert Member

Nov 2011
cyberspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimidini View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argonaut_Games

"...if Nintendo allowed Argonaut to design custom hardware to extend the SNES to have true 3D capability. Nintendo agreed, so San hired chip designers and made the Super FX chip."

Founded 1982
Founder Jez San
Defunct October 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synops..._International

"The company was founded by Jez San to build upon the 3D accelerator technology previously developed for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System by a division of Argonaut Software. This forerunner to the ARC was originally called the Mario (Mathematical, Argonaut, Rotation & I/O) chip and later dubbed the Super FX. It went on to sell millions, at the time outselling ARM or any other RISC core."

http://www.anthrofox.org/starfox/superfx.html

"There was a time when there were millions of Super FX chips in the world. After fading from the limelight, the Super FX was retired quietly. It does not live on in any new form, but the success of the venture drove Argonaut and Ben Cheese to new heights. Argonaut RISC Cores, now called ARC International, supplies configurable CPU cores to other chip makers who can include them in their own designs. They compete alongside venerable names like ARM, MIPS, and Tensilica."

http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Super_FX

"The Super FX chip was designed by Argonaut Games, who also co-developed (with Nintendo) the 3D space scrolling shooter video game Star Fox to demonstrate the additional polygon rendering capabilities the chip brought to the SNES."

My guess is that this remainder of the company wants lots of $$$ for the rights. And that for basically 2 games only (Star Fox + Yoshi's Island)? Yeah, there are a few more games, but those do not really matter. There is also Doom, but who cares. Nintendo couldn't publish that anyway.

Also just take a look at the Super/FX chip. It says (M) 1992/1993 A/N Inc.
(M) is a copyright symbol for masked work (Integrated circuit layout design protection). Other SNES chips explicitly say (C) Nintendo. Super/FX doesn't. And even software could be affected too.
That is all speculation and really large leaps in logic. You are assuming because they contracted another developer to design the chips that they don't have any say in the games. You don't understand how copyright law works or patents apparently. First the patent for the Super FX is expired by now, they don't last that long, its public domain now so your myth debunked right there. Second, chips can be patented which means nobody else can manufacture them, they cannot be copyrighted which means once you, the patent owner, put the chip on the market anyone can write software for it, unless you lock it out and require licensing, which would not have been a negative for Nintendo as they clearly had licensed the right to use the chips, otherwise they wouldn't have used them in their carts. Third, Nintendo could get around that imaginary legal scenario that does NOT exist, if it did, by just recoding the games to run on Wii U hardware, the software belongs to Nintendo they can port it to whatever the hell they want. Does that mean they can emulate the SFX perfectly, not if there were some legal mumbo jumbo preventing them but in this case there is nothing that would imply that based on the nature of the partnership and the fact patents expire.

Finally nothing in the documents you provided says Nintendo didn't retain some rights to the specific chips. Nothing. Even if it did, the patent has expired by now so anyone can use them, but you do not HAVE to use the chips to emulate them, so again total myth entirely FALSE.

The likely reason, knowing Nintendo, why the handful of games are not on Virtual Console probably goes with the same reason other games people clamor for are not, Nintendo is notorious about promoting the newest version. Look at how long it took to get Star Fox 64. Finally, with old 2D games they can still look playable on modern sets but Star Fox the original, and most SFX games for that matter, are really unplayble blocky nightmares, modern gamers and even retro Nintendo fans would rather skip those three or four games. The only one that used the chips that would sell to today's gamers is Mario World 2 and they tend to prefer the GBA port anyways. Does it make sense, no but much of what Nintendo does is baffling anyways.

Last edited by segagamer12; 07-27-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:32 PM   #25
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2009
Camp Crystal lake

My top 30 in alphabetical order:

ActRaiser
Chrono Trigger
Contra III: The Alien Wars
Disney's Aladdin
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!
F-Zero
John Madden Football
Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mega Man X
Michael Jordan: Chaos in the Windy City
Mortal Combat
Mr. Do!
NBA Jam
Pilotwings
Prince of Persia
Star Fox
Super Baseball Simulator 1.000
Super Castlevania IV
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Metroid
Super Punch-Out!!
Super R-Type
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
Tecmo Super Bowl

Got Em!!
Old 12-28-2016, 11:27 AM   #26
Power Member

Jul 2011
Naples, Italy

I don't care what the other 29 games are, just put at least 1 street fighter game on it or no sale. A super nes collection is not complete without at least 1 street fighter, that series defined the console as much as Mario series.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:10 AM   #27
Expert Member

Dec 2010
sl, ut

I did catch Knights of the round on a list...thats a gem

Most lists are pretty spot on I would add
Shadow run
True lies
Xmen apocalypse
Spiderman max carnage

Last edited by owenstar; 01-30-2017 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Added spiderman
Old 01-30-2017, 07:36 PM   #28
Power Member

Jul 2009
Bayonne, NJ, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussrelativity View Post
Star Fox 2.

THAT would sell!!!
I wish these mini consoles would be this. Filled with unreleased betas and cancelled projects. That would be quite the novelty.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:42 PM   #29

Feb 2017
Earth?
-
-

Contra III: The Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest
Killer Instinct
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mortal Kombat
Street Fighter II Turbo
Super Bomberman
Super Castlevania IV
Super Mario All-Stars
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Metroid
Tetris & Dr. Mario

I would add F-Zero and Starfox, but I'm not sure they would hold up as well today.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:20 PM   #30
Expert Member

May 2015

My dream list would be;

DK Country
DK Country 2
Super Mario RPG
ActRaiser
SimCity
F-Zero
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Castlevania IV
King of Dragons
Turtles in Time
Contra III
Pocky & Rocky 2
EarthBound
Ogre Battle
The Lost Vikings
Super Adventure Island
Super R-Type
Harvest Moon
Gradius III
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Final Fantasy II
NBA Jam T.E.
Killer Instinct
Zelda III
Super Turrican
Sim Ant
Joe & Mac 2
Old 03-16-2017, 03:05 AM   #31
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2017
Cow Country

They can go ahead and release an SNES classic and excite the scalpers, it won't bother me. I still have my SNES Jr. and it works fine. The only game I like playing on it that I don't have is Yoshi's Island, and I have the GBA port which I can throw in the GC Game Boy Player. And when the eventual time comes that my LTTP and SMW batteries die, I have those GBA ports too.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:41 AM   #32
Banned

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobipopcorn View Post
They can go ahead and release an SNES classic and excite the scalpers, it won't bother me. I still have my SNES Jr. and it works fine. The only game I like playing on it that I don't have is Yoshi's Island, and I have the GBA port which I can throw in the GC Game Boy Player. And when the eventual time comes that my LTTP and SMW batteries die, I have those GBA ports too.
I have most of the games I'm interested in on SNES as well but if a SNES classic is released I can sell them for more than the SNES classic will be worth. Most of SNES's best games are easy to sell for at least $10-$20 each.

You could easily sell your SNES copies of LTTP and SMW for $30 and $20 and pay for most of the SNES classic. Upgrading to a SNES classic costs less than $0.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:33 AM   #33
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2017
Cow Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinMaster View Post
I have most of the games I'm interested in on SNES as well but if a SNES classic is released I can sell them for more than the SNES classic will be worth. Most of SNES's best games are easy to sell for at least $10-$20 each.

You could easily sell your SNES copies of LTTP and SMW for $30 and $20 and pay for most of the SNES classic. Upgrading to a SNES classic costs less than $0.
Not an option I'm afraid, the money I would make from those two couldn't be more than their sentimental value. Besides, Legend of Zelda is the only franchise I'm loyal to anymore. I'm not an excessive collector, but that cart and it's little worn out instruction manual kind of started it all.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo