Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.69

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Fascination Coral Reef 3D: Mysterious Worlds Underwater (Blu-ray)
$7.08

The Stewardesses 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61

Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.14

Justice League 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Secret Life of Pets 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.12

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 09-13-2017, 08:39 PM   #81
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014

Thunder and the house of magic was the last time I did this. I've vowed not to do it again. If its something I want to watch in 3D I have no problem blind buying it and watching it once which is a bit different than just buying it "because of 3D".
Old 09-13-2017, 08:50 PM   #82
Expert Member

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniteCR View Post
Thunder and the house of magic was the last time I did this. I've vowed not to do it again. If its something I want to watch in 3D I have no problem blind buying it and watching it once which is a bit different than just buying it "because of 3D".
A few blind buys I made turned out to be really good selections, "Life of Pi" "Gog" and "Kiss Me Kate". Especially KMK, surprised how amusing that was, and the 3D was really nice, the stages were bigger than the seating.
Thanks given by:
T. Warren Scollan (09-14-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 09:36 PM   #83
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014

I think almost all of my 3D purchases are blind buys because even if they are bad I want to watch them the one time in 3D. But I am not going to buy something I have no interest in, just because of the 3D after having done that a few times.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:04 AM   #84
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
Under an arch

I really have only two live action 3d movies that I would never watch again. I don't buy everything that's in 3d but there are some that I bought only for the 3d, mostly cartoons and nature documentaries. I mitigate my costs as best I can by being patient for sales and co-buying with people that aren't interested in the 3d. I don't have money to burn. I used to buy every new release when they were only 2d but realized the vast majority never got re-watched.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:16 AM   #85
Expert Member

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon1281 View Post
I really have only two live action 3d movies that I would never watch again. I don't buy everything that's in 3d but there are some that I bought only for the 3d, mostly cartoons and nature documentaries. I mitigate my costs as best I can by being patient for sales and co-buying with people that aren't interested in the 3d. I don't have money to burn. I used to buy every new release when they were only 2d but realized the vast majority never got re-watched.
I've gotten a couple I'll never watch again, actually never made it all the way through Sharkboy and Lavagirl, and Spykids. Comin' at Ya I had to watch in installments, too much was comin' at me.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:30 AM   #86
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaugone View Post
I've gotten a couple I'll never watch again, actually never made it all the way through Sharkboy and Lavagirl, and Spykids. Comin' at Ya I had to watch in installments, too much was comin' at me.
Every time I think about rewatching CAY! 3D I remember they screwed around with the colors and decided I'd rather watch something else (SADAKO 3D 2 coming up!), what a frustrating 3D BD disc.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:17 PM   #87
Banned

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergee View Post
Hi all,

I was wondering how many of you will purchase a poorly-reviewed film, or one designed for a certain demographic (kid's animation etc) purely because it is released in 3D. i.e. who cares about the film, it's the 3D that counts!

Surely those of you buying 'The Mummy' won't be looking for a great film (even the 3D looks to be poor). Same goes for the new Pirates of the Caribbean release - looks to be a distinctly average film (like most of the others in that franchise) but appears to be a good 3D presentation.

I guess disposable income comes into play here, but for me I will need to limit my future 3DBD purchases and will only be looking to pick up a well-reviewed film (alongside good 3D). The exception may come when I need to complete or expand upon a collection, like the aforementioned PotC release.

Isn't a bad film still bad, even in 3D?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers!
No, i don't do this, otherwise i wouldn't be selling my 3D edition of Hugo today.

I buy films i like regardless if they are in 3D or not, but if they have been filmed in 3D then that's how the director intended it to be seen so i will buy and keep any 3D version of a film i want.

If a film is release in 4K for a 3D film, i won't be double dipping and keep the 3D version of the movie. Otherwise i will be losing the directors vision
Old 09-14-2017, 06:23 PM   #88
Special Member

Sep 2017
Ajax, Ontario Canada

I buy what I think id like. Even if bad reviews. I bought king arthur even though it got bad reviews, but i watched baywatch and the mummy recently which bombed and i thought they were both good movies. I never really bother with reviews.

I didnt even know the Mummy had a 3d release. If i want it ill probably have to pay quite a bit to get it.....
Old 09-15-2017, 04:43 AM   #89
Power Member

Dec 2009
Toronto, Canada

I've bought a few titles I may not otherwise have been that interested in because of 3-D, but not very many; and only if the 3-D cinematography is extraordinarily good.

Fortunately my interest in film is pretty eclectic, so I can enjoy anything from animation to horror, sci-fi to documentary, action to historical epic and foreign to exploitation schlock. Nothing really seems out of place in my collection, which just seems to be getting weirder as time goes by.

Last edited by TM2-Megatron; 09-15-2017 at 05:36 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:32 PM   #90

May 2011
New York State

If the movie has 3D and is priced competitively with the 2d disc I will go for 3D even if I have some issues with the film. Case in point AVENGERS AGE OF ULTRON had in my opinion a poorer use of 3D and color compared to the original.
Thanks given by:
CSM101 (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 06:44 PM   #91

Nov 2012

A good 3d presentation can elevate a "meh" experience to a good or even great one. I can only speak for myself on this matter, of course. Some people collect vinyl, steelbooks, etc. I love and collect 3d.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:47 PM   #92

May 2011
New York State

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSM101 View Post
A good 3d presentation can elevate a "meh" experience to a good or even great one. I can only speak for myself on this matter, of course. Some people collect vinyl, steelbooks, etc. I love and collect 3d.
I agree with you steel books are nice when affordable but the bottom line is a quality 3D disc. Anything else is window dressing for me.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:48 PM   #93

Nov 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank@Chicago View Post
If I'm going to spend time watching something, I'd rather watch it in 3D.

So 3D is a huge factor in purchasing decisions, and to lesser extent 4K.

There's never any rush to buy anything in 2D, it will only get cheaper.

I recently bought Bolt 3D for $7.99 and watched it with the family.

We mostly liked it, but not for the main character which is a bit odd.

I never would have bought Bolt in 2D-only (zero reason to buy).

If I can find an affordable G-Force 3D, I'll give that one a spin too.

Animation or anything with lots of effects is always better in 3D.

3D is highly collectible and will only become more hard-to-find over time.
G-Force is incredibly fun in 3d. It fully takes advantage of the format.
Thanks given by:
Frank@Chicago (09-16-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 04:53 AM   #94
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
Hi all,

I was wondering how many of you will purchase a poorly-reviewed film, or one designed for a certain demographic (kid's animation etc) purely because it is released in 3D. i.e. who cares about the film, it's the 3D that counts!

Surely those of you buying 'The Mummy' won't be looking for a great film (even the 3D looks to be poor). Same goes for the new Pirates of the Caribbean release - looks to be a distinctly average film (like most of the others in that franchise) but appears to be a good 3D presentation.

I guess disposable income comes into play here, but for me I will need to limit my future 3DBD purchases and will only be looking to pick up a well-reviewed film (alongside good 3D). The exception may come when I need to complete or expand upon a collection, like the aforementioned PotC release.

Isn't a bad film still bad, even in 3D?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Cheers!
When I watch Transformers I don't expect Shakespeare or Oscar-caliber performances. I want to see giant robots kicking the crap out of each other and destroying everything around them while they're at it. I watch them for the spectacle, and they deliver. Same when I watch a 3D title of a film that isn't so great on their own. I watch it for the entertainment value 3D provides.

For some 3D films, the 3D cinematography is a vital part of the film-making process, playing an important role in adding to the experience. For those films, 3D viewing is essential to get the full effect the film was trying to achieve. Films like Hugo, Polar Express (animated), and The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet come to mind as examples where 3D is an organic part of the film itself. There are lots of films that fit into this category imo.

For other films, 3D is more of a gimmick, added to enhance the fun of the film. I see no problem with that either. Whether I'm enjoying a film based on it's acting, story, concept, atmosphere, effects, music, or 3D, there are many elements to a film that I can appreciate. 3D is just another element. It can make a not-so-great film more fun to watch if done well, just like great effects can make films like Transformers fun to watch, when it wouldn't be worth bothering with without the effects and spectacle.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:03 AM   #95
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Quote:
And there is the issue - is it worth spending the $ to purchase something as downright awful as A*P*E, The Stewardesses or Dragonfly Squadron even though it's a Golden/Silver Age 3-D title? The image maybe compelling but surely the story needs to be enough to drive it. I've purchased all of these and couldn't finish A*P*E as it was just SO dreadful.

Thanks to everyone who has commented on this thread, great to hear other opinions. I share the desire the keep 3-D alive both at the cinema and in the home, but real-life pressures will mean I need to be a bit more selective in my purchasing (having said that, I have 6 upcoming 3-D titles pre-ordered on Amazon, arghhhh!).
I enjoyed the hell out of A*P*E* and the Stewardesses and I'm glad I own them. I never would have watched them without the 3D, but that's my point - I've seen films I never would have seen if it wasn't for me branching out to see films I normally wouldn't see if not for the 3D. I honestly would not have any interest in most of the older vintage 3D titles if they weren't filmed in 3D originally, but because they were, I've had a lot of fun experiencing these older films in a way I never thought I'd get a chance to. A*P*E* and Stewardesses were just plain bad, but they were both a ton of fun thanks to the 3D fun factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniteCR View Post
Thunder and the house of magic was the last time I did this.
A great example of a mediocre film that is stunning in 3D. One of my 3D animation highlights for sure. It's funny, sure, but it's not particularly memorable imo. But the 3D...WOW! It brings the film to a whole new level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSM101 View Post
G-Force is incredibly fun in 3d. It fully takes advantage of the format.
Ghostbusters does the same thing to even far greater effect. Tons of frame-breaking 3D makes it a ton of fun.

Last edited by mar3o; 09-16-2017 at 05:08 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion