Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: The Buster Keaton Collection: … $12.99 (1 hour left)
Now: Jack Ryan 5-Movie Collection (… $14.49 (2 hours left)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
10 hrs ago
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Don't Look Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.73

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Kong: Skull Island 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
17 hrs ago
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
17 hrs ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.30

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.95

The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists

Old 07-08-2017, 07:32 AM   #61
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007

When it comes to TV, I'll definitely buy new titles in 4K UHD, like Westworld...

I would definitely buy The Shield (Complete Series) is Sony had the balls to release that on 4K UHD with all the effort supposedly going into it.

Would I buy any titles I already own in 4K UHD? Outside of Game of Thrones and Narcos, I don't think so.

Now if Disney pulled a fast one, which I know they won't, and drops some of the Marvel/ABC/Netflix shows in 4K, I might. But it's not likely going to happen, so I don't have to stress about it.

fitprod
Old 07-08-2017, 04:43 PM   #62

Jun 2017

Since HBO is releasing West World, I would love it if they released some of their other series like Rome or GOT. I would also like if Netflix released House of Cards. While we're going at it, I'd also like Deutschland 83, Hannibal, I love Lucy and BBC's original Planet Earth and Prehistoric Earth series.
Thanks given by:
EbonDragon (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 04:56 PM   #63
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister_x View Post
American Gods would be one ready to go in UHD - the UK regular blu has already been announced/is coming later this month, but it's streaming in 4K on Amazon UK. Perhaps when Lionsgate (?) release it (in the run up to S2?) there will be a UHD option. Especially if Westworld does well come November...
It's more likely that Sony or Disney/Marvel properties shown on Netflix will get a UHD release... if finished for TV in 10 or 12 bit 4k.

Netflix properties like Stranger Things where they are also financing the project rather than solely distributing may, sadly, never wind up on disc of any kind unless there was some deal made with the filmmakers... forever trapped in a low bitrate wasteland.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:04 PM   #64
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
Dinas Powys, UK

Possibly, although Netflix might have tied Sony into exclusivity for the likes of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. I'd love to see both on UHD though, so here's hoping no such exclusivity agreement exists!
Old 07-08-2017, 06:12 PM   #65
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Plateau of Leng

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberMensch View Post
Since HBO is releasing West World, I would love it if they released some of their other series like Rome or GOT. I would also like if Netflix released House of Cards. While we're going at it, I'd also like Deutschland 83, Hannibal, I love Lucy and BBC's original Planet Earth and Prehistoric Earth series.
Hannibal, if done right, would be exquisite.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:31 PM   #66
Expert Member

Apr 2015

+1 for Hannibal

My wishlist of Tv though:

Dexter
Hannibal
Rome
Preacher
Game of Thrones (come on, HBO, DO IT)
Penny Dreadful
Oz
Sex and the City
Band of Brothers
The Pacific

I kind of want it all...so take my money, TV execs!
Old 07-08-2017, 06:59 PM   #67
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
Dinas Powys, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberMensch View Post
Westworld isn't being released by HBO Home Video, but I'm sure HBO will release some titles (especially GoT) at some point. Here's hoping for others like Rome as you say!
Old 07-08-2017, 07:35 PM   #68
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Westworld isn't being released by HBO Home Video, but I'm sure HBO will release some titles (especially GoT) at some point. Here's hoping for others like Rome as you say!
HBO and Warner Brothers are one in the same.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #69
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
Possibly, although Netflix might have tied Sony into exclusivity for the likes of Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul. I'd love to see both on UHD though, so here's hoping no such exclusivity agreement exists!
Both received Blu-ray releases due to those franchises originating from Sony and being distributed by AMC.

There is no such exclusivity.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:57 PM   #70
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
Dinas Powys, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmFreakosaurus View Post
HBO and Warner Brothers are one in the same.
No, one is a subdivision of the other. Westworld, like The Leftovers, is a Warner Bros Television production, rather than an HBO one. They licensed it to HBO, rather than HBO produce it in-house like Rome, The Sopranos etc etc. Unlike those shows it isn't distributed by HBO Home Video but by Warner Home Video (I'm aware HBO Home Video is part of Warner Home Video, but the reverse is not true). Whilst I'm sure they operate very similarly, Westworld coming out on UHD does not automatically indicate HBO Home Video catalogue titles will appear.

Quote:
Both received Blu-ray releases due to those franchises originating from Sony and being distributed by AMC.

There is no such exclusivity.
Fair point - and good for the chances of Sony UHD TV shows!
Old 07-08-2017, 08:27 PM   #71
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2012
US of A

Quote:
No, one is a subdivision of the other. Westworld, like The Leftovers, is a Warner Bros Television production, rather than an HBO one. They licensed it to HBO, rather than HBO produce it in-house like Rome, The Sopranos etc etc. Unlike those shows it isn't distributed by HBO Home Video but by Warner Home Video (I'm aware HBO Home Video is part of Warner Home Video, but the reverse is not true). Whilst I'm sure they operate very similarly, Westworld coming out on UHD does not automatically indicate HBO Home Video catalogue titles will appear.

Fair point - and good for the chances of Sony UHD TV shows!
HBO is the pay TV arm of Warner Brothers Studios and its parent Time/Warner company.

HBO has always been considered their "premium" television division and that's why their disc sets command a higher price and normally have fewer episodes per disc and higher bitrates/better encoding than normal Warner Brothers TV shows on the commercial networks.

They're still operated under the same WB umbrella. It used to be that HBO and New Line/Fine Line were allowed to do their own thing, but Warner brass put the kibosh on that a few years ago and enfolded them into a central chain of command.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:01 PM   #72
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
Dinas Powys, UK

Completely agree. And yet, Westworld and The Leftovers are not distributed by HBO Home Video - they won't have the HBO openings and closings on the episodes, they won't come with iTunes or Google Play digital copies, there will be no mention of 'HBO Home Video' on the packaging. Because for whatever reason they chose, the non-HBO side of Warner is getting involved with making shows to be aired on HBO, and is then distributing them under the umbrella label rather than the HBO label.

The Leftovers, for example, did not have fewer episodes per disc (Warner jammed 10 hour-long plus episodes onto two discs for both seasons).
Old 07-09-2017, 12:32 AM   #73
Power Member

Jan 2017

Quote:
Completely agree. And yet, Westworld and The Leftovers are not distributed by HBO Home Video - they won't have the HBO openings and closings on the episodes, they won't come with iTunes or Google Play digital copies, there will be no mention of 'HBO Home Video' on the packaging. Because for whatever reason they chose, the non-HBO side of Warner is getting involved with making shows to be aired on HBO, and is then distributing them under the umbrella label rather than the HBO label.

The Leftovers, for example, did not have fewer episodes per disc (Warner jammed 10 hour-long plus episodes onto two discs for both seasons).
Reverse engineering the box office to home video track. Streaming is the new 3-6 month engagement, hopefully.

Quote:
Netflix properties like Stranger Things where they are also financing the project rather than solely distributing may, sadly, never wind up on disc of any kind unless there was some deal made with the filmmakers... forever trapped in a low bitrate wasteland.
I feel like even Netflix could be convinced if such a monolithic, well off company could be made to see the fanfare value in producing a luxury item that doesn't threaten their streaming. Even if the revenue stream from selling 10K copies of a UHD is relatively negligible to them, I believe the second wind strategy is something they could gain a lot of extra prestige, marketing and fan enthusiasm from for shows that aren't quite the hot ticket internet-watercooler binge event they were at release.

Though it's not quite the same theater of power struggle, where streaming giants would likely want to render alternative methods of consuming video content extinct... even gaming has been able to accomplish it with services like Steam, PSN, XBLA not seeing physical distribution outlets like fangamer, limitedrungames, indiebox etc as a threat. While bigger publishers take the playbook and sell their own limited releases on their own storefronts now.

I imagine that kind of cultivation, digital content purveyors touching base with the tangible world, could eventually lead to a Sundance x E3 hybrid convention of some kind, where Netflix, Amazon etc are out showing their big guns and premiering their big exclusives, with discs being a form of hardcore enthusiast merch at that point.

Don't mind me, though... I'm off in la la land with it, giving as much hopeful rationale as I can muster
Old 07-09-2017, 05:27 AM   #74

Sep 2013

Quote:
HBO is the pay TV arm of Warner Brothers Studios and its parent Time/Warner company.

HBO has always been considered their "premium" television division and that's why their disc sets command a higher price and normally have fewer episodes per disc and higher bitrates/better encoding than normal Warner Brothers TV shows on the commercial networks.

They're still operated under the same WB umbrella. It used to be that HBO and New Line/Fine Line were allowed to do their own thing, but Warner brass put the kibosh on that a few years ago and enfolded them into a central chain of command.
Hey, actual Time Warner employee here. Warner Bros and HBO are separate divisions. HBO is not the pay TV arm of WB. The Leftovers and Westworld are WB Televisions Studios series created for (and somewhat in collaboration with) HBO. And while HBO shows (and Turner shows for that matter) are distributed by Warner Home Video, the discs are authored by their respective divisions.

I know that's a bit confusing, but I hope that clears it up.
Thanks given by:
minister_x (07-09-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 03:07 AM   #75
Special Member

Sep 2014
Stockholm

Star Trek Discovery needs to come out on UHD! I don't care how much it'll cost - I'll pay anything! Just sayin
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists