Best Wii U Game Deals

Amazon Prime Day is Now Live »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed (Wii U)
$16.71

Hello Kitty Kruisers (Wii U)
$49.99

Sonic Lost World (Wii U)
$19.49

Skylanders: Trap Team (Wii U)
$99.99

Guitar Hero Live (Wii U)
$58.30
21 hrs ago
Star Fox Zero (Wii U)
$42.12

Tumblestone (Wii U)
$21.94

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo

Old 01-08-2019, 03:59 PM   #1
Special Member

Sep 2011
Default Super Mario World (1991, Super Nintendo)

As someone who has played (and owns) most of the Mario games for the NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, and Switch, I think my absolute favorite is still 1991's Super Mario World for the 16 bit Super Nintendo Entertainment System. I still remember seeing a sneak preview of the game in a video game magazine in 1990 or so. I was highly intrigued by the screen images of the game. The 16 bit graphics were a revelation. When I finally played the game in December 1991, I was blown away. Fun times and good memories. Two years later, in 1993, came Super Mario All-Stars for the SNES, consisting of SMB, SMB: The Lost Levels, SMB2 and SMB3, complete with 16 bit upgrades in the graphics and sound departments. Now, whenever I play these games, I play the All-Stars editions, not the 8 bit originals.

Interestingly enough, when the game was released in Japan, it went by the full title, Super Mario Bros. 4: Super Mario World. I wish they had kept that title for the U.S.

Thanks given by:
ScarredLungs (01-10-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 05:37 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2017
Gotham City

Love this Mario game I never beat the game I always toke the short cut to Bowser.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:42 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Still a classic and all time favorite of mine (always preferred it over 3) that I play at least once a year 100%. There's always a ton of hate directed towards DKC these days but I still am of the mind that this and DKC just "feel" so right to play.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2015

Loved Super Maro World and All Stars. Iím happy to have the NES and SNES Classic Editions to be able to play all of those; as well as Donkey Kong Country.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Quebec City, Canada

My favourite 2D Mario was SM3 but my all-time favourite will always be Mario 64.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:06 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

SMB 3 has always been my personal favorite, but World is also very awesome.

I still have my original consoles and copies of those games (though I have since gotten another SNES due to issues with my original one). I got the SNES for Christmas in 1991, so it was the original version that came with SMW. I bought All-Stars not long after release with some money that I won in a raffle at a school event back then.

Something that is interesting is the cart that has All-Star and Super Mario World all on the same cart. This was bundled with the SNES console later on.

Beyond just having all 5 games on a single cartridge, there are actually a few differences in the version of Super Mario World included in it.

One difference is that instead of just being a straight pallet swap of Mario, Luigi actually has his own sprites and looks different from Mario (regardless of colors). This seems to only be a cosmetic difference in this game. In the later GBA release, not only did he have his own sprites, but he also had different jumping ability (similar to SMB 2). In the GBA version, instead of Luigi being used by player 2, player 1 could switch between him and Mario.

Here is a video comparing these differences.

Also, another difference between the solo release of SMW and the version on the All-Stars + World pack is in the "Top Secret Area" in World 2, where you can get the power ups and Yoshi.

For the most part it is pretty much the same. The main difference is with the Yoshi that you acquire there. In the original release, it is always a green Yoshi that you get in that area. But in the All-Stars+World version, after you encounter the other colors of Yoshi (blue, red, yellow) for the first time, when you go to the top secret area, it will randomly be a different color of Yoshi that hatches out of the middle "?" block.
Thanks given by:
filmbuffTX (01-08-2019), Scoot79 (01-09-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 09:40 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_qc View Post
My favourite 2D Mario was SM3 but my all-time favourite will always be Mario 64.
I could never get into Mario 64 unfortunately. If they release a N64 Classic Iíll have to give it another try. My favorite games on that system were The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye, Blast Corps, Mario Party, and Mario Kart 64.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:20 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Quebec City, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmbuffTX View Post
I could never get into Mario 64 unfortunately. If they release a N64 Classic Iíll have to give it another try. My favorite games on that system were The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye, Blast Corps, Mario Party, and Mario Kart 64.
They will release a N64 classic, they have to! We'll probably get it by fall 2019 and I won't be a late buyer like I was for the NES & SNES classic! My favorite N64 games were Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, Pilot Wings 64, GoldenEye and Wave Race.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:49 AM   #9

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
Still a classic and all time favorite of mine (always preferred it over 3) that I play at least once a year 100%. There's always a ton of hate directed towards DKC these days but I still am of the mind that this and DKC just "feel" so right to play.
I assume thatís because some people took that story about Miyamoto, Yoshiís Island, and Nintendoís requests way too seriously. Yoshiís Island might be better but thereís nothing wrong with the DKC games for sure.

Iíve never checked to find out but I wonder if all these years later I still do that Ghost House key secret the wrong way or if thatís how you have to do it - the one with the narrow one block sized entrance high up in the air. Thereís a coin trail block and a pow switch in there but I always just do a fly and crouch hop combo to get into the key space.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:58 AM   #10
Expert Member

Jul 2016
1537 Paper St.

I just finished this game a few weeks ago and now I'm in the process of playing Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

And there is hate out there for Donkey Kong Country? That's insane!
Old 01-09-2019, 01:08 PM   #11
Special Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalbiz View Post
Yeah, that surprises me. Donkey Kong Country is an awesome franchise. There are three for the Super NES and the first two are outstanding. The third, not so much, but it's still fun. Then you have Donkey Kong 64 for the N64, Donkey Kong Country Returns for the Wii, and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for the Switch, which all rock!

Check out this fake Super Mario Bros. 4 cover that someone made. ("If SMB4 was made for the NES") Pretty cool.

Last edited by Scoot79; 01-09-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:30 PM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalbiz View Post
I just finished this game a few weeks ago and now I'm in the process of playing Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.

Yeah, it always seems to boil down to "those garbage pre-rendered graphics don't hold up."

I think they do but regardless, the gameplay and soundtrack are superb and isn't that what matters?

Also "there's not much to the game" and yet those same people love the newer DK games which in my eyes play exactly the same for the most part.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:59 PM   #13
Expert Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
SMB 3 has always been my personal favorite, but World is also very awesome.

I still have my original consoles and copies of those games (though I have since gotten another SNES due to issues with my original one). I got the SNES for Christmas in 1991, so it was the original version that came with SMW. I bought All-Stars not long after release with some money that I won in a raffle at a school event back then.

Something that is interesting is the cart that has All-Star and Super Mario World all on the same cart. This was bundled with the SNES console later on.

Beyond just having all 5 games on a single cartridge, there are actually a few differences in the version of Super Mario World included in it.

One difference is that instead of just being a straight pallet swap of Mario, Luigi actually has his own sprites and looks different from Mario (regardless of colors). This seems to only be a cosmetic difference in this game. In the later GBA release, not only did he have his own sprites, but he also had different jumping ability (similar to SMB 2). In the GBA version, instead of Luigi being used by player 2, player 1 could switch between him and Mario.

Here is a video comparing these differences.

Super Mario World - Luigi sprite comparison - YouTube

Also, another difference between the solo release of SMW and the version on the All-Stars + World pack is in the "Top Secret Area" in World 2, where you can get the power ups and Yoshi.

For the most part it is pretty much the same. The main difference is with the Yoshi that you acquire there. In the original release, it is always a green Yoshi that you get in that area. But in the All-Stars+World version, after you encounter the other colors of Yoshi (blue, red, yellow) for the first time, when you go to the top secret area, it will randomly be a different color of Yoshi that hatches out of the middle "?" block.
Which version do they have on the SNES Classic?
Old 01-10-2019, 01:51 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Quebec City, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm5777 View Post
Which version do they have on the SNES Classic?
The standalone release of Super Mario World that came with the console but it's easily hackable I added Pilot Wings, DKC 2 & 3 and SM All Star to mine. Added a few titles on my NES also, RC Pro Am and Contra.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:44 PM   #15
Expert Member

Aug 2015

I just wish All Stars came on the classic. That's the only game missing I really wanted on there. I did get it for the Wii though for my Wii U.

Only thing I dislike about DKC is the difficulty.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:59 PM   #16
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2007
Utah

I was reviewing again the games on the switch and was hoping that this was one of the games available.... maybe in the future.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo