Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99
17 hrs ago
The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27
14 hrs ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
17 hrs ago
The Evil Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Aquaman 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Death and Return of Superman: The Complete Film Collection Giftset 4K (Blu-ray)
$41.01

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.95

Annihilation 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists

Old 05-22-2019, 07:41 AM   #41
Special Member

Jan 2016
Melbourne

Honestly the Bds are so bad that they are more watchable on Netflix lol as Netflix has most of the grain still intact with little to no tlc. I feel that the DVDs may just be more watchable than the bds as they have grain
Thanks given by:
kristoffer (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 02:01 PM   #42
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
Denmark

They really are a travesty.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:20 PM   #43
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Yep, Bob Gale signed off on the HD transfers and said at the time that the people doing them did a "great job". That doesn't bode all that well for any 4K versions supervised by him but this is a different Universal now, I'm thinking he'd probably sign off on any old gack so as long as the current Uni remastering team are in charge then they'll turn out great.

But I don't think we have to worry about not getting a 4K UHD release though. Uni are one of the format's staunchest supporters and even though they're still sore at Zemeckis for not doing anything else with the BTTF property they're not going to turn down a big anniversary 4K re-release. Releasing the same shite old BDs ain't gonna cut it, doing a new transfer but releasing it on 1080p disc only ain't gonna cut it (though I sincerely hope that they update the BDs as well), I think they know what we want.
Hopefully he realizes what the standard and expectations are at this point for what constitutes a good transfer for 4K. I feel like back then, the expectations gravitated more towards making the image as sharp and clean as possible for those 50" LCD/Plasma televisions, or the so-called "window effect" people expected HD to be for everything. Maybe I'm just being too optimistic, but I feel like with a few weird exceptions <cough>T2<cough> the standard has gotten away from that is more about preserving detail and texture. Universal for the most part seems to have done a great turnaround on how they do remasters.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:53 PM   #44
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Tulsa, OK (formally S. Wales)

They may have to do something with Doc Browns old man prosthetics in Part 1. They looked terrible on BluRay.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:34 PM   #45
Power Member

Dec 2013
Perth, Australia

I doubt Zemeckis would approve any retouching his work via CGI. Think he's a purist for the most part.

For me don't mind one bit as long as it's seamlessly done. Could also touch up especially that one egregious fire trail shot @twin pines mall scene; was always the starkest difference from DVD to blu-ray transfer... But again I don't think it will happen because of their (Bob & Bob) iron grip on the property.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:28 PM   #46
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

I saw a 2K DCP viewing of the first movie back in 2015 if I recall. It was obviously the same source. It looked very much like the Blu-ray except it wasn't grain reduced or at least too noticeably so, but the image still had that overly-digital and moderately contrast boosted look.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:51 PM   #47
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Yes, the 'DCP rip' that's been around for a while bears this out: it's clearly the exact same transfer at source and clearly an older effort from an IP with all that entails, but without the DNR and sharpening and slight squishing it's so much better than the BD. Not that I wouldn't sell all your souls for a sweetly remastered 4K edition, of course I would, but the HDTV/DCP 'rip' has been a godsend.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists