Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99
18 hrs ago
The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27
14 hrs ago
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34

Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23
18 hrs ago
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64
18 hrs ago
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.19

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
17 hrs ago
The Evil Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Doom: Annihilation (Blu-ray)
$14.95
15 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-19-2018, 08:58 PM   #141

Mar 2016

Love the packaging on this awesome release.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:39 PM   #142

Apr 2015
Chicago, IL

well the complaints about the slipcase are no hyperbole.
Thanks given by:
James Luckard (07-20-2018), jamesdevil (03-03-2019)
Old 07-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #143
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2013

My copy from B&N just arrived and the outside case fits perfectly. Goes on and off with ease. Sucks for those who’s isn’t good like mine.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:08 PM   #144
Expert Member

Dec 2008

Is it possible the slipcover is designed to slip out in one direction only? I could swear I have gotten some slipcovers like that, but I don't remember which ones. And I haven't got SLV Criterion.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:12 PM   #145

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleep View Post
Has anyone been able to find the "digital corrections" in this release (both in the picture and audio departments)? The notes about the transfer lead one to believe that the restoration has also undergone a couple of digital “corrections,” though I can’t tell what they may be.

EDIT: I was able to find one change (fix?) from the Sony release and Criterion's version as shown from the screenshots. Interesting it's the car registration decal...

Sony:

Criterion:

Is it the wine in the wine glass?
Old 08-08-2018, 08:26 PM   #146
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2011
Arizona, USA

Since Criterion may not ever rerelease this in a case, or at least not for a long while, I decided to pick out a copy at B&N (out of like six or seven there, they must've expected this to be a hot seller). The digipack slipped out of the slipcover easily enough. Now, putting it back in. Yes, it was tricky. It is a tight fit. Took a few tries, but I stuck the bottom spine corner into the top of the slipcover first, then aligned the two as parallel as possible to get the other corner (where it opens) in, so a sliver of the bottom of the digipack was inside the slipcover. Then, rather than slide it in laying horizontally or flat on a surface, I sat it up vertically and let gravity help ease it in. You have to go semi-slow, but it worked. No damage that I could see. The digipack did have a couple tiny nicks on the right edge of the front showing white underneath, instead of the artwork, before I did anything. I'm assuming these had to be hand-assembled, so those employees must've had some difficulty as well, but not to the degree of some horror stories here. Cool concept, and it looks cool in hand and on the shelf (the slip is matte on the front and glossy on the spine and back), but the slip could've been a smidge wider.

Looking forward to watching Soderbergh's debut for the first time!
Old 08-16-2018, 11:23 PM   #147
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Recently watched Sex Lies & Videotape on the Criterion Disk, and am extremely impressed by both the presentation & the film itself. I had seen the movie once before on an older DVD, but, as is typical with Criterion - I found the PQ/color/etc. on this superior.

Re: the film, incredible debut here for Soderbergh. Interesting story & characters, and I thought the minimalist settings (several houses/apartments, a bar, a brief shot of a sidewalk/graffiti outside, etc.) was appropriate for a film that mainly featured dialogue. A film that explores women's sexual needs/desires was unusual back in the late '80's. Very ground-breaking.

I had forgotten that this film was filmed & set in summertime Baton Rouge, LA. I'm slightly familiar with the city, and it was nice to see a movie taking place there, since that area is rarely featured in film(s).

Also interesting that a film with such a risque (LOL) title featured almost no skin.

Trivia: I noticed that the actress playing the anonymous woman in the one videotape we saw (that didn't feature any of the leads in the film) - was also on the production crew. She was the one talking about her fantasy?! on an airplane

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 08-16-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:30 AM   #148

Apr 2016

I hate to say it, but this disk shows Criterion's dodgy compression returning.

Random screenshot:

Small artifacts all over... same as with the new 'Sisters' release, it seems, according to the screenshots on this site.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:34 PM   #149
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk5844 View Post
Since Criterion may not ever rerelease this in a case, or at least not for a long while, I decided to pick out a copy at B&N (out of like six or seven there, they must've expected this to be a hot seller). The digipack slipped out of the slipcover easily enough. Now, putting it back in. Yes, it was tricky. It is a tight fit. Took a few tries, but I stuck the bottom spine corner into the top of the slipcover first, then aligned the two as parallel as possible to get the other corner (where it opens) in, so a sliver of the bottom of the digipack was inside the slipcover. Then, rather than slide it in laying horizontally or flat on a surface, I sat it up vertically and let gravity help ease it in. You have to go semi-slow, but it worked. No damage that I could see. The digipack did have a couple tiny nicks on the right edge of the front showing white underneath, instead of the artwork, before I did anything. I'm assuming these had to be hand-assembled, so those employees must've had some difficulty as well, but not to the degree of some horror stories here. Cool concept, and it looks cool in hand and on the shelf (the slip is matte on the front and glossy on the spine and back), but the slip could've been a smidge wider.

I still think the packaging is disastrous and am waiting for a regular plastic case reissue, after having returned my unopened damaged original to Amazon for a refund.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:38 PM   #150

Aug 2018

Finally got the UK copy at a decent price !
Just watched it, it's not only a tremendous movie, and one of the best stuff I've watched recently, but the new 4K restoration is beautiful. I liked the 12 minutes featurette about the sound restoration. It's not often you get this kind of digging, especially about sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCarpenterFan View Post
Is it significantly cheaper for Criterion to use this type of packaging over the Scanavo or something?
I don't understand why people seem to think they're doing this for cost reason. It's most likely more expensive to use digis of any form, since they're custom made and printed. For all we know, they might have a very good price on Scanavo cases (especially considering they seem to have been exclusively sold to them at the price), and I'd suppose they buy litterally tons of them, the main variable prices being the artwork and the sleeve printings.
Instead, here, they're having custom made digis, with a fancy slipcover aside.

It's most certainly not cheaper.

But it's also, well, custom made. All these digis they have done and still do are probably made with this in mind : they make these titles stand out even more, and I'm quite certain it adds an extra appeal to the release. A minima, they're not using standard Scanavo cases with standard printed sleeves, so they're technically special.

And I don't think there's more to read into that, really.

As for its practicity, maybe I'm lucky or my copy is slightly looser, but I'm not tearing or damaging anything when removing the slip and it's quite easy to put it back in. I'm however more surprised about having the booklet loose inside (in opposite to their older 2-panels digis like Chungking Express), since it means the booklet possibly falling from the copy through the bottom opening (which seems a silly design flaw to have).

Last edited by johnpaul2; 03-03-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:38 PM   #151
Special Member

Feb 2017
NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhofmann View Post
I hate to say it, but this disk shows Criterion's dodgy compression returning.

Random screenshot:
[Show spoiler]

Small artifacts all over... same as with the new 'Sisters' release, it seems, according to the screenshots on this site.
Ummmmm, NO ...... Sisters looks perfect, watch it in motion.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:28 PM   #152
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York
Send a message via AIM to saprano

Comparison

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=13054&d2=13057&c=5114
Old 04-17-2019, 02:57 AM   #153
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011

I used to be excited with Criterion got its hands on titles, but anymore I prefer that they don't.

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&...130219&i=0&l=0

Color correction and restorations look good but routinely the compression looks like the work of a company that has no clue what it's doing.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:26 AM   #154
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2010
Denmark

It has been that way for years and years. Sadly, once the epitome of quality, Criterion has long been a substandard company on blu-ray.

I used to collect Criterion almost religiously on laserdisc and DVD and had around 400-500 Criterions on the latter format before I went HD, but these days I only buy a Criterion release if there is nothing else available.

For me, the final straw was their atrocious release of The Children of Paradise (while technically not entirely their fault, it was a French restoration after all, they never should have released that DNR-scrubbed coaster).

They have been made aware of their compression issues so many times that you have believe they just do not care.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:33 PM   #155
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2013

Criterion doesn't do their compression for blu-rays in house; some subcontractor does that (Radius60, I think). My guess is, as long as that company is meeting whatever specification was in place when they signed a contract for the work, there probably isn't much they can do about it.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:43 PM   #156
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2014
High up in the KAB lighthouse in Spivey Point

I've been trying to decide on whether I should get the criterion or rebuy the Sony. I've been reading a lot of conflicting reactions with the criterion with some saying it's great and an improvement and others saying that the compression ruins the criterion transfer. Generally I'm pretty pleased with criterion other than their absolutely awful Mulholland Dr release and their On the Waterfront release from their releases that I've seen that are supposed to be new remasters. Does their Sex, lies and videotape transfer fall in with those two releases?
Old 04-17-2019, 03:23 PM   #157
Power Member

Jan 2011
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by javi92 View Post
Criterion doesn't do their compression for blu-rays in house; some subcontractor does that (Radius60, I think). My guess is, as long as that company is meeting whatever specification was in place when they signed a contract for the work, there probably isn't much they can do about it.
Nah they have to QC their work, and they find it suitable. Them's the breaks!
Old 04-26-2019, 07:12 PM   #158
Special Member

Feb 2012
Los Angeles

Finally pulled the trigger on this Criterion release, and found that my copy has horrendous audio glitching -- like full-on audio BOMBS -- on both my Oppo 203 and also on my older Oppo 83. Disc surface is pristine; no scratches or marks whatsoever, so it doesn't seem like a "bum disc". I've been collecting Blu-rays since 2007 and have never had this sort of issue with any new disc.

The LOUD glitches do go away if I switch my player's HDMI audio output from Auto to LPCM... so it might be a compatibility issue with Oppo (like I said: both the 203 and the 83).

Anyone experience this? Particularly anyone with an Oppo? It happens right at the beginning; right after the Criterion logo. Keep your volume LOW if you decide to check your copy. Nearly gave me a heart attack.

UPDATE: title plays flawlessly on my uber-cheap, super-consumer-level Sony player in the living room. So it's only the Oppo players in my home theater having issues.

Last edited by steel_breeze; 04-26-2019 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:08 PM   #159

Jun 2012
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 View Post
I used to be excited with Criterion got its hands on titles, but anymore I prefer that they don't.

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&...130219&i=0&l=0

Color correction and restorations look good but routinely the compression looks like the work of a company that has no clue what it's doing.
Was about to buy this release and just wanted to quickly check out how others like their copies, but oh man: the compression looks absolutely atrocious, how could they ruin such a beautiful 4K restoration?

And how can you seriously give this release such praise: "at the moment it may very well be the best looking and sounding one in the label's Blu-ray catalog"

Wow, just wow... It's such a shame since I really like Criterion and want to support their work, but this just can't be tolerated.

Have they actually gotten back to anybody pointing out their enormously subpar compression to them?
Old 05-31-2019, 01:55 PM   #160
Special Member

Jun 2015

When I watched it late last year, I thought the film looked better than I had ever seen it on home video. Maybe I need to spend more time with the screencaps & charts.
Thanks given by:
javy (05-31-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America