Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Amazon Prime Day is Now Live »
Prime: Evangelion: 3.33 You Can (… ()

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Alien: 6 Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
20 hrs ago
The Dark Knight Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Die Hard Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
19 hrs ago
Star Trek: Discovery - Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
23 hrs ago
The Mel Brooks Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Bumblebee (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

The Evil Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
20 hrs ago
Lord of War 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
20 hrs ago
Top Gun (Blu-ray)
$9.96
1 hr ago
Star Trek 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-22-2019, 06:33 AM   #61
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2013

Arrived yesterday. Fond memories of seeing The Hunted, Gunmen & Highlander 3 in the cinema. Will watch the film and then the workprint.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:29 PM   #62

May 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
The biggest issue, though, is the casting of John Lone and Joan Chen as apparent Japanese people, especially as the former has several scenes of Japanese dialogue that are clearly heavily-accented and not spoken by a native Japanese speaker.
Definitely the two most unfortunate casting choices. Both Lone and Chen are great actors, but they aren't believable as Japanese natives. At least Lone's character is half-Chinese (though we never learn this in the theatrical version -- but it's in the trailer -- and HOPEFULLY in the work print version too...).

Quote:
Yoshio Harada is great, and it was cool that Lawton was able to find Masumi Okada (the policeman) and of course, Yko Shimada (Mieko), two Japanese actors who could speak English, to star as well. In fact, Shimada is the highlight of the film, for me, and it's a real shame she hasn't worked more in English-language roles beyond Shogun and a few other minor appearances.
Yoshio Harada and Yoko Shimada are the best parts of the film. Also great to see martial arts master Tak Kubota as Harada's swordsmith.

Mine should arrive by the end of the week, but for those who've gotten it, does it have a reversible cover? And if so, what's the cover image? The original poster artwork or something else?
Old 05-22-2019, 12:32 PM   #63
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanbara View Post
Mine should arrive by the end of the week, but for those who've gotten it, does it have a reversible cover? And if so, what's the cover image? The original poster artwork or something else?
It's an inner print of all the faces of the actors.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:38 PM   #64

May 2016

Quote:
It's an inner print of all the faces of the actors.
Thanks for the info.

I was hoping they'd use the original theatrical poster artwork, which is much cooler and with the ninja bullet train insert is much more representative of what the film is about than the stupid shot of Lambert with a gun. Oh, well.

Old 05-22-2019, 03:40 PM   #65
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2012
California

Saw this for the first time yesterday. Thought it was simply OK. The bullet train sequence being the best part of the film.

I love John Lone, but he felt really miscast here. I will felt the scene with gangster boss played by James Saito should have been cast with someone else else. Just felt strange for a Yakuza boss to be speaking in English without a Japanese accent.

It had its moments, and glad to have finally seen this. Yoshio Harada does steal the show.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:02 PM   #66
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2013
Scotland

Quote:
Are they theatrical? They look extremely bland and thin, like they were made for the video release.
I don't know. You said they were burnt it so I assumed. Why would they burn in new video subtitles?

Quote:

Excuse me, I must research this diligently.
Don't sprain your wrist.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:07 AM   #67

Oct 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio

While I've always loved this film, I know it's not great. However, does anyone think there has ever been a really great American film about Samurai or Ninja culture? Usually we get dreck like Tom Cruise's Last Samurai or something.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:42 PM   #68

Oct 2016
Atlanta, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by annubis44 View Post
While I've always loved this film, I know it's not great. However, does anyone think there has ever been a really great American film about Samurai or Ninja culture? Usually we get dreck like Tom Cruise's Last Samurai or something.
I watched The Hunted for the first time yesterday and enjoyed it. The bullet train sequence stands out.

As far as other American/Samurai crossover flicks, I agree about the Last Samurai. What a ridiculous ending. I guess if we're not counting Yakuza films where American detectives end up in Japan (Black Rain and Rising Sun, for instance), then there aren't too many that immediately come to mind.

I enjoyed The Challenge with Scott Glenn. It was on par with the Hunted, with a better final showdown. I also haven't seen many of the earlier Chuck Norris films if any qualify.

I'd like to see another Christopher Lambert flick, Knight Moves, get a blu ray release some day. I do enjoy many of his earlier films. (Subway, Highlander, Knight Moves, The Hunted).
Old 05-23-2019, 04:44 PM   #69
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2013
Scotland

The Octagon is a pretty decent ninja flick... but then I liked The Last Samurai.
Thanks given by:
RedHarvest (05-31-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 01:40 AM   #70
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2018
Arkham, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keymaster View Post

I'd like to see another Christopher Lambert flick, Knight Moves, get a blu ray release some day. I do enjoy many of his earlier films. (Subway, Highlander, Knight Moves, The Hunted).
There's a pretty nice German release (region locked).

Old 05-26-2019, 02:56 AM   #71

Mar 2011
KappyTown

Saw this today and the picture quality was really great compared to the quality ive been used to seeing of this film. The behind the scenes footage was interesting to see.The workprint was really cool to see because of the different footage. Kind of changed the tone of the film for me with how Takeda turned out to be, almost no humor, and that ending was not expected.

Hope to see more Lambert films released with plenty of extras. Only other blurays that had some good extras are Highlander 3 and Knight Moves.
The Resurrection blu had no fancy bonus material
Thanks given by:
Teufel (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 03:34 AM   #72

Jun 2012
Hamburg, NY
Default Audio?

Could someone please tell me if the audio is 5.1 or 2.0 Thanks
Old 05-26-2019, 03:44 AM   #73

Mar 2011
KappyTown

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFBAIT View Post
Could someone please tell me if the audio is 5.1 or 2.0 Thanks
It has both.
Thanks given by:
Teufel (05-26-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 07:36 AM   #74
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2009
En flugskit i kosmos
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post
Hope to see more Lambert films released with plenty of extras. Only other blurays that had some good extras are Highlander 3 and Knight Moves.
The Resurrection blu had no fancy bonus material
If not new ones I would love to see some legacy extras ported over to the blu-rays where available. It's a shame The Resurrection had none, at least I held on to my Canadian and my French DVDs (the latter being the meatiest of them, I only wish Lambert's commentary came with English subtitles on that).
Old 05-27-2019, 12:19 PM   #75

May 2016

Oddly, a lot of comments in this thread have been from people who seemingly don't like this film, so as someone who likes it a lot here are my 2 cents on this release.

The film looks and sounds GREAT on blu-ray and the extras are FANTASTIC!

The audio commentary from director J.F. Lawton offers a lot of insight into what inspired him to make the film (a love of Japanese samurai films), how the original script (entitled "Kirina") was developped 10 years earlier while he was working at Cannon Films and how they passed on it, how he got Universal interested in it, how he cast the main roles, and how challenging it was to film in Japan, etc... etc...

The Behind-The-Scenes Footage which featured mostly stuff filmed in Japan was excellent as well.

But the real gem of this release is the Workprint version which gives us a rare and fascinating look at what the film might have been. I only wish that Lawton had done an audio commentary track for it, because I would have loved to hear why certain scenes and important moments were cut from the final film. I'm glad they didn't go with the ending in the workprint because it would have ruined the film for me. Without giving it away for those who haven't seen it, it made Takeda's character much more of a villain with scenes that show he succumbed completely to the madness that begins after the bullet train scene. Much happier that they added the scene where after seeing all of his students dead and his wife injured he shows his regret and desire for her to live and not follow him into death. The other part of the final section of the film that I'm so glad they cut out completely had to do with Mieko and Racine.

I expected the Workprint to be more of an extended version of the theatrical film, but it's quite a different film (especially after the first half), with both longer and shorter scenes from what's in the theatrical version. Not only that, but a number of scenes in the theatrical version are not found in the Workprint version at all. Additional scenes not found in either version is also included as another extra, which is above and beyond amazing.

There are a number of great scenes in the Workprint that I wish could have been re-inserted into the film to make a Director's cut, especially the scene where Lambert's friend is killed by Junko and a number of scenes with Kinjo in his ninja camp. I also wish they hadn't inexplicably edited out the parts of the Kinjo and Kirina scene where after he takes off his hood she comments that he's not Japanese to which he explains that his mother was of Chinese descent (heard as a voice-over in the original theatrical trailer). Kirina then reveals that she too is of mixed blood. A lot of people who disliked the film when it came out mentioned how they couldn't get past having two Chinese actors playing Japanese characters, and the same holds true even now. The fact that this was addressed in the script and that these bits of information were edited out is mind-boggling. People also have a problem with Lambert playing an American because of his French accent, seemingly ignoring that he has a French name in the film which hints that he may have grown up in France like Lambert himself. Perhaps they could have made that clearer so that there would not have been that to detract some viewers from accepting him in the role...

My only complaint about this release is the packaging. Very disapointed that they chose to go with the crappy VHS cover image with Lambert holding a gun, instead of at the very least offering a reversible cover with the original theatrical poster featuring the best part of the film the ninja bullet train ambush. It's like they're trying to hide what makes this film cool and sell it as a completely generic guy-with-a-gun film, which couldn't be further from the truth. Also disapointing that the collage of photos on the flip side of the cover doesn't include Yoshio Harada and Yoko Shimada, who are the 2 best characters in the film and why so many of us love this film.

Anyway, all in all, I'm thrilled that we got such a great release for this cool film. I suspect all of the extras came from J.F. Lawton himself, so a HUGE thanks to him for sharing them (especially the work print). I wish more directors would be as forthcoming and generous.
Thanks given by:
annubis44 (05-29-2019), DR Herbert West (05-28-2019), Pete Rock (05-28-2019), RadicalThrasher (05-27-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 07:29 PM   #76
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2018
Arkham, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanbara View Post
The audio commentary from director J.F. Lawton offers a lot of insight into what inspired him to make the film (a love of Japanese samurai films), how the original script (entitled "Kirina") was developped 10 years earlier while he was working at Cannon Films and how they passed on it, how he got Universal interested in it, how he cast the main roles, and how challenging it was to film in Japan, etc... etc...
Yep, it's a great track.
Thanks given by:
RedHarvest (05-28-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 11:42 AM   #77
Expert Member

Jun 2018

COMPARISON
Thanks given by:
DR Herbert West (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 12:55 PM   #78
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2012
The British Empire

Is the workprint more violent?
Old 05-31-2019, 03:16 PM   #79
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2013
Scotland

The German is a smidgen better encoded.

But the extras on the Shout make it a clear winner.

All I need to do now is wait for the to rise against the $

.................................................. ......
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America