Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Happy Death Day 2U (Blu-ray)
$14.99
5 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Blu-ray)
$14.99
5 hrs ago
Don't Look Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.73

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

Kong: Skull Island 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
5 hrs ago
Halloween 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
5 hrs ago
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > Sports

View Poll Results: The fight is here! Which P4P great will be #1 on May 2?
Mayweather by Decision 19 48.72%
Mayweather by Knockout 2 5.13%
Pacquiao by Decision 6 15.38%
Pacquiao by Knockout 10 25.64%
Draw! 2 5.13%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Sep 2006
Default Mayweather-Pacquiao eclipses 4.4 million PPV buys, $72M gate

Since the fight isn't going to be made, we'll continue in this new thread so that people can vote in a poll who they think caused the (alleged ) negotiations to fail.

Last edited by MaCruz; 02-20-2015 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
Gaming Moderator

Jul 2008
Arkham Asylum

I already know how this will turn out.....
Old 07-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvo View Post
I already know how this will turn out.....
Haha. Let the public have there say. There is really only about five people discussing this openly, while the rest of those reading the thread are staying silent. It very-well may end up with most people seeing both sides at fault, but we'll have to wait and see.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
Community Gaming Moderator

Mar 2009
Jacksonville, FL

I haven't check the news. Anything new?

Thanks Josh.

EDIT: Both sides are at fault. However, Mayweather is the one truly backing off. I have not voted yet.

Last edited by MaCruz; 07-22-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaCruz View Post

I haven't check the news. Anything new?

Thanks Josh.
The media world is completely turning on Mayweather - not good when most of what people know about sport celebrities comes via the media. There have been a few of the boxing websites that will try to defend Mayweather (likely blaming Arum for exaggerating negotation progress), but then reads end up slamming the writer for bias.

Mayweather needs to say something better than "I'm not in a rush to get back in the ring" and commit to fighting Pacquaio in 2011. While Pacquiao should really just hold off until something better comes available, since Cotto and Margarito aren't appetizing fights in the least bit. No one wants to pay for another Pacquiao-Clottley beat-down, no matter where the fight is held.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
Banned

Sep 2008
Los Angeles, CA

I truly believe that whatever Mayweather demanded would have been provided by Pacquiao because this fight means more to him that his political career.

I don't think it's that the negotiations failed, I think that it's simply one person wants to fight and the other doesn't.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #7

Mar 2009
Jacksonville, FL

It comes down to this....

Floyd has some good notable fights. He also chooses who, and when he wants to fight.

Floyd and company is doing the same tactic to Manny, but this time they are being more aggressive to postpone the fight, or no fight at. They are using excuses that Manny is doped up and demanded that Manny takes blood test too close to the fight.

Manny did not agree, and I don't blame him because Floyd is not the commish of boxing, and Manny is worty, if not worth more than Floyd at this point.

Now that Manny agreed to bow down and take the test.. Floyd didn't answer. Only his family members are the ones doing the talking.

Damn does this sound like a repeat again what I've said several times.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #8
Gaming Moderator

Jul 2008
Arkham Asylum

Everything I've read or heard on the news blames Mayweather and his camp. Its very one-sided at the moment. Everyone is behind Manny and as much as I like Mayweather, his fans cannot deny whats going on. I'm more of fan of Mayweather than anyone and to me it seems that he's not responding on purpose. Mayweather is smart. I think he doesn't want to fight Manny.

At this point, Mayweather couldn't care any less how the general public feels about him. He doesn't need anymore money, but this whole thing with Manny will cause him to lose fans. Me being one of them. If you're the champ, you're supposed to take on all competitors. No exceptions.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
Banned

Sep 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Everything I've read or heard on the news blames Mayweather and his camp. Its very one-sided at the moment. Everyone is behind Manny and as much as I like Mayweather, his fans cannot deny whats going on. I'm more of fan of Mayweather than anyone and to me it seems that he's not responding on purpose. Mayweather is smart. I think he doesn't want to fight Manny.

At this point, Mayweather couldn't care any less how the general public feels about him. He doesn't need anymore money, but this whole thing with Manny will cause him to lose fans. Me being one of them. If you're the champ, you're supposed to take on all competitors. No exceptions.
That is exactly what it is.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #10

Mar 2009
Jacksonville, FL

But the thing is... Mayweather is not a current belt holder. He never needs belts because he already established himself as one of the best.

He will lose some fans because he turned down the fight that can save Boxing.

He's more of the money, and he puts the Sport of Boxing #2.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #11
Gaming Moderator

Jul 2008
Arkham Asylum

Well I say Champ meaning the Best. Same thing. If you feel like you're the best then you should have no problem proving it. Mayweather has a golden opportunity to shut every hater up. He can silence everyone by beating Manny. He knows people are talking about this. He knows people are backing Manny and he knows people don't respect him and want him to lose.

He could gain SOOOO much respect from everyone who's doubted him by beating Manny but he won't do it!
Old 07-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #12
Banned

Sep 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
But the thing is... Mayweather is not a current belt holder. He never needs belts because he already established himself as one of the best.

He will lose some fans because he turned down the fight that can save Boxing.

He's more of the money, and he puts the Sport of Boxing #2.
MMA > Boxing

I've paid more attention to MMA ever since Lesnar joined the UFC.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #13

Mar 2009
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
Well I say Champ meaning the Best. Same thing. If you feel like you're the best then you should have no problem proving it. Mayweather has a golden opportunity to shut every hater up. He can silence everyone by beating Manny. He knows people are talking about this. He knows people are backing Manny and he knows people don't respect him and want him to lose.

He could gain SOOOO much respect from everyone who's doubted him by beating Manny but he won't do it!

Well said! Best oppourtunity to shut everyone up is by beating Manny.

But now, Manny has the edge on this right now.

Actually he's had the edge ever since Senior opened his mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejet View Post
MMA > Boxing

I've paid more attention to MMA ever since Lesnar joined the UFC.
LOL! I haven't watched much UFC since 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 during the Gracie days. PPV for that time for UFC was $24.99, and I was in middle school. My dad and I were basicially the only ones who knew about UFC before it set off to become something so big.

After that... I haven't paid much attention to it, but I might start watching it again.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #14
Power Member

May 2008
O-town FL

Quote:
Well said! Best oppourtunity to shut everyone up is by beating Manny.

But now, Manny has the edge on this right now.

Actually he's had the edge ever since Senior opened his mouth.

LOL! I haven't watched much UFC since 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 during the Gracie days. PPV for that time for UFC was $24.99, and I was in middle school. My dad and I were basicially the only ones who knew about UFC before it set off to become something so big.

After that... I haven't paid much attention to it, but I might start watching it again.
You should.. It's awesome! But I've been paying a lot of attention to Strikeforce more than UFC. Gotta keep an eye on Fedor Emelianenko!!
Old 07-22-2010, 01:55 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Sep 2006

Quote:

Well said.

I think one of the distracting points of boxing is that there is no "Championship Belt" because there are two many organizations that give belts. The only way to be the champion, really, is to own all belts, but that is contrary to what American sports fans understand - there is only one Superbowl, only one NBA Championship, etc (we'll ignore College Football for the sake of this arguement).

Floyd doesn't need to own any of the belts to be considered the best, but if he wants to claim superiority to those that have belts (and thus, proven they are the best amoung competitors), then he needs to be willing to defend his status against any competitors that challenge him.

I go back to a quote Letterman said back when negotiations first broke down. It was something like "Back in the day, the only fighters that were undefeated were the ones who weren't fighting." Meaning, if you hadn't lost any fights, then you just weren't fighting the toughest opponents. Now, I'm not saying Mayweather hasn't fought tough fights, but arguements can be made that he is or has side-stepped fights in order to keep his "O". This may be another one of those situations.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:38 PM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
Now, I'm not saying Mayweather hasn't fought tough fights, but arguements can be made that he is or has side-stepped fights in order to keep his "O".
I am thoroughly convinced that Mayweather will do whatever it takes to preserve his "0" loss record, that he wants to be mentioned in the same breath as Rocky Marciano, the only undefeated boxer to retire while at the top of his game. As time passes and boxers come and go in this profession, other than historians and avid followers of the sport, fans entering the sport down the line will look at his unblemished record and think he should be regarded as one of the sport's best, failing to take into consideration the bouts he avoided intentionally to preserve that impeccable record.

With three losses to his name, Pacquiao has nothing to lose but everything to gain if the match comes to fruition and he triumphs, especially if it happens by knockout, or even a TKO.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:53 PM   #17
Gaming Moderator

Jul 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivatePixel View Post
I am thoroughly convinced that Mayweather will do whatever it takes to preserve his "0" loss record, that he wants to be mentioned in the same breath as Rocky Marciano, the only undefeated boxer to retire while at the top of his game. As time passes and boxers come and go in this profession, other than historians and avid followers of the sport, fans entering the sport down the line will look at his unblemished record and think he should be regarded as one of the sport's best, failing to take into consideration the bouts he avoided intentionally to preserve that impeccable record.

With three losses to his name, Pacquiao has nothing to lose but everything to gain if the match comes to fruition and he triumphs, especially if it happens by knockout, or even a TKO.
Thats the thing right there. Mayweather has more on the line than Manny. If Manny loses, then oh well, its just another loss. But if Mayweather loses, then he gets a dreaded 1 next to that 41. And that 0 is worth more than money to him.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:17 PM   #18

Mar 2009
Jacksonville, FL

Another thing is.. Manny has not lost since 2004, and that was when Manny wasn't really known World Wide.

Manny has been knocked out before, but that was way early in his career when he was a nobody.

So when you look at Manny's notable fights from 2004-2009 winning 7 World Titles in different weight classes... his reputation of being the best is also on the line as well.

But Mayweather wants to keep that 0 loss stat under his belt, so he has way more to lose, so I guess he rather likes to play chicken shit this whole time.

If Floyd, and Manny fought, and Floyd will lose.. I wonder what's going to happen to him as a person? Will he wake up? Will his ego finally end?
Old 07-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #19
Gaming Moderator

Jul 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
Another thing is.. Manny has not lost since 2004, and that was when Manny wasn't really known World Wide.

Manny has been knocked out before, but that was way early in his career when he was a nobody.

So when you look at Manny's notable fights from 2004-2009 winning 7 World Titles in different weight classes... his reputation of being the best is also on the line as well.

But Mayweather wants to keep that 0 loss stat under his belt, so he has way more to lose, so I guess he rather likes to play chicken shit this whole time.

If Floyd, and Manny fought, and Floyd will lose.. I wonder what's going to happen to him as a person? Will he wake up? Will his ego finally end?
No. Maweather is Maweather. If he loses, then I bet he'll want a rematch. And if he loses the rematch then he'll quit boxing, but if he wins the rematch then he'll give everyone a reason why he lost the first time.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #20
Super Moderator

Sep 2006

Great article from The Ring:

http://www.ringtv.com/blog/2145/haus..._negotiations/

Quote:
Ellerbe’s claim is undermined by the reasonable assumption he read reports about the negotiations in the media yet never publicly suggested to anyone that the reports were wrong. At the very least, one would have expected him to pick up the phone, call Greenburg and ask, “What are these reports all about?”

One would also think that, if there were no negotiations, Greenburg would have called Arum to inquire about the reports.

Arum put it more bluntly, saying, “Is Ellerbe crazy? If there were no negotiations, why was everyone talking about a gag order?”
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > Sports