Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Amazon Prime Day is Now Live »
Prime: Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Ser… $18.49 (97% claimed)
Prime: Bumblebee / Transformers: 6-Fi… $29.99 (84% claimed)
Prime: First Man $9.99 (5 hours left)
Prime: Fifty Shades Collection (Unrat… $12.99 (33% claimed)
Prime: The Lord of the Rings: The Mot… $47.39 (5 hours left)
Prime: The Girl in the Spider's Web $12.43 (3 hours left)
Prime: Blue Planet II $8.99 (4 hours left)
Prime: Outlander: Season Four $23.99 (4% claimed)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
20 hrs ago
The Stewardesses 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Meg 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.97
19 hrs ago
The Good Dinosaur 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.04

Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.14

Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.45

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.97

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 02-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #1

Feb 2012
Dallas, TX
Question How do YOU decide what 3D movies to buy? Or will you buy anything in 3D?

I've looked through some people's list of their 3D blu-ray collection and it seems they have just about everything under the sun. While I'm new to the game and I'm just now beginning to grow my collection & there's a number of discs on my must-get list, there are some that I don't feel the need to own JUST because they are in 3D. Do you try to grab up every 3D movie/documentary you can find or do you pick & choose? I don't feel the need to own EVERY standard 2D blu-ray so I also don't feel the need to own EVERY 3D blu-ray just for the fact that it is 3D. Just wondering what other people's perspective is.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #2

Jan 2012

Simple. I start with 10 points

I deduct 1 point if it is set underwater

I deduct 3 points for a conversion

I deduct 4 points if it's dance flick

I deduct 6 points if Blu-Ray.com said it was the best 3D disc of the year

I deduct 12 points if it was directed by M Night Shyamalan.

If at the end I am left with more than 5 points, I buy the 3D Blu-Ray.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:59 PM   #3

Feb 2012
Dallas, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jack View Post
Simple. I start with 10 points

I deduct 1 point if it is set underwater

I deduct 3 points for a conversion

I deduct 4 points if it's dance flick

I deduct 12 points if it was directed by M Night Shyamalan.

If at the end I am left with more than 5 points, I buy the 3D Blu-Ray.
So I take it you won't be getting the new converted Step Up 4: Under Water Dance-Off directed by M. Night Shama-lama-ding-dong which was given 10 stars by Blu-Ray.com?
Old 02-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #4

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnsmills View Post
So I take it you won't be getting the new converted Step Up 4: Under Water Dance-Off directed by M. Night Shama-lama-ding-dong which was given 10 stars by Blu-Ray.com?
Well does it have a lenticular cover? A lenticular cover is +30 points:P
Old 02-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
The Road to Nowhere.

So far this thread is starting off well.

I like you don't need to own every 3D movie because it's 3D, I want to enjoy the movie first and foremost.
Animation is so far winning in my collection as they have in general the best 3D.
So I usually go with first will I like the movie.
Is the 3D good based on reviews and feedback.
Price,Price and Price because these 3D titles can be expensive.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #6

Oct 2010
Send a message via MSN to RHellgren

Simple: the goal (which btw is most likely never to be achieved) is to get all of them

On a more serious note though, even if that pretty much describes me, the content available is now enough for someone such as yourself to get into 3D and pick what you want to watch. It hasn't always been like that and a lot of people around here with bigger collections remember the time when the content could be counted with your two hands, naturally that stretches the boundaries of your normal want list a bit
Old 02-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #7

Jan 2012

Have I seen it? - Yes - Did I like it? - No - Don't buy it
Have I seen it? - Yes - Did I like it? - Yes - Buy when it reaches $20 or below (maybe $25, depending on the title)
Have I seen it? - No - Do I want to? - No - Don't buy it
Have I seen it? - No - Do I want to? - Yes - Buy when it reaches $20 or below
Old 02-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #8
Power Member

Sep 2008
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jack View Post
I'm just curious is there any particular reason for that? Only problem with Blu-ray.com reviews is they feel very biased against converted BDs as long as the reviewer knows it was converted before hand. But then again it's only Captain America that I felt could have given a few more points for the 3D despite it being converted.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:46 PM   #9
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

It's MY shelf.

That means it's MY taste for movies, and nobody else's--
There's no "reference material" (what is that, anyway?? ), since I'm single, rarely have movie-night guests, and have no one to impress but myself.
There's no "I bought it because it came out this week!", because I can't afford to subsidize the industry by my sole self. (Although others feel they have to, as with the first few years of Blu-ray, I won't begrudge them their noble service.)
If it's "A movie I haven't seen yet!", I'll, um...rent it. That's what I used to do with regular DVD's.
There's no movies on there I don't think I'll watch, because I have a small shelf, and I can't waste space on a disk that will likely collect dust and have a colorful side spine.

Remember: You're not playing for someone else's "team", and "taking one for the team" by buying a disk you can't afford or have no intention of watching. The only reason to pay Someone Else money that Belongs To You is for the sacred purpose lining up your own private den with your own private kill, to enjoy on many of your own private weekends.
Me, I rather liken it to those finely cultivated libraries in those old manor houses, except that they never read their fancy showoff leatherbound Dickens or Shakespeare either.

Last edited by EricJ; 02-17-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:17 AM   #10

Nov 2011
Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
It's MY shelf.

That means it's MY taste for movies, and nobody else's--
There's no "reference material" (what is that, anyway?? ), since I'm single, rarely have movie-night guests, and have no one to impress but myself.
There's no "I bought it because it came out this week!", because I can't afford to subsidize the industry by my sole self. (Although others feel they have to, as with the first few years of Blu-ray, I won't begrudge them their noble service.)
If it's "A movie I haven't seen yet!", I'll, um...rent it. That's what I used to do with regular DVD's.
There's no movies on there I don't think I'll watch, because I have a small shelf, and I can't waste space on a disk that will likely collect dust and have a colorful side spine.

Remember: You're not playing for someone else's "team", and "taking one for the team" by buying a disk you can't afford or have no intention of watching. The only reason to pay Someone Else money that Belongs To You is for the sacred purpose lining up your own private den with your own private kill, to enjoy on many of your own private weekends.
Me, I rather liken it to those finely cultivated libraries in those old manor houses, except that they never read their fancy showoff leatherbound Dickens or Shakespeare either.
Yeah what this guy said. Also, I only buy it if MY cats like it

All 12 of them just kidding

If it's a Disney 3D film I buy, if it's Dreamworks I'll probably buy, if it's live action I'll buy it if it's at least a decent movie

Last edited by gamermwm; 02-18-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:19 AM   #11

Jan 2011

Don't buy if it is converted. Most of the conversion sucks. You can use the 3d tv to convert. Its not as good, but your eyes can't really tell the different when you pay alot less.

Make sure to search and see how many pop out does it have and how much depth does it carry. I honestly think that Final Destination 4 and 5 was a good 3D. There are alot of pop out. It is a true 3D movie. You can see things going out of the TV and into the TV. Not just flat on the screen or just inside the screen.

I hate movies that says 3D, but did not have any 3D. All you see is depth and flat on screen. Depth is easy to create. You can use your 3d tv to convert 2d to 3d with alot of depth. But not pop out. So I good 3D movies is when there are things going out of the TV.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:38 AM   #12
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2011
USA

First, it has to be a movie that I would enjoy, then it has to be 24.99$ or less.

I wait for a good 3D movie to show in theaters. If I like it enough, I'll wait till it's first released for around 24.99$, then scoop it up for my small collection.
Mostly action movies along the lines of Resident Evil Afterlife 3D, Underworld Awakening 3D, Priest 3D, Captain America 3D, etc... I have 15 movies so far. 95% all theatrical releases, including computer animated features like Kung Fu Panda 2. I'd like to see a lot more genuine haunted horror movies released. Final Destination is too much along the lines of a horror Slasher flick IMO, picking off the young cast one by one.... Same with Saw 3D, My Bloody Valentine 3D, Piranha 3D...

I avoid most documentaries and movies I have no interest in. Just because it's 3D, doesn't make it worth watching over and over.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:04 AM   #13
Special Member

Jun 2010
CA

I do it based off if I like the 3D. Also, don't avoid converted entirely. Converted movies are subjective to each individual in terms of quality. I for one have enjoyed watching alot of converted 3d movies and think they are getting even better. Just watch the 3d trailer for Wrath of the Titans in that thread on the forums and you'll see what I mean. It's incredible!
Old 02-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #14

Apr 2011

1. Native 3D
2. 1.85:1 AR
3. Price
4. Reviews
5. Have to have an interest in the movie (maybe that should be number 1 really!)

Old 02-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

lucky for me i get 4 (1 is on demand) 3d stations on direct tv. I have recorded most of the imax features. so far only one is worthy of owning (dolphins and whales tribes). wow that is an amazing title. far and away my favorite 3d ive seen in my home. anyway, i got burned on dolpin tale. paid 35 for it. just got it because it was 3d, and the 3d is pretty lame. i learned my lesson. i was going to say no 3d blind buys, but i wont hold up to that. i have to get tin tin, underworld, hugo and who knows what else. btw - i love the captain america conversion. easily the best conversion around. i guess my criteria would be: if I know ill love it in 2d, by gosh i'll really love it in 3d!

Last edited by poke smot; 02-18-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #16
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

simple for me
1) is this a movie I want (to see)
2) was it shown theatricaly in 3D/is it available in 3D

if both are yes than I buy the 3D (and if there is only 2D like Avatare I wait for the 3D)
there is also
3) did this film come out before 3D BD and I already have it in 2D? but that kind of fits in one (i.e. do I want the 3D version or did I see the 2D and I probably won't see the 3D so why bother)
Old 02-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #17
Special Member

Oct 2011
Manila

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerik View Post
1. Native 3D
2. 1.85:1 AR
3. Price
4. Reviews
5. Have to have an interest in the movie (maybe that should be number 1 really!)

Take out number 1 and this about sums it up for me. I don't care if its converted or not, I have enjoyed enough converted films that I know that if its done right, it will be good. I own and have enjoyed Alice In Wonderland, Captain America, Thor, and Clash of the Titans. So I'm ok with converted, if its done right.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #18
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2011
USA

Originally, when I first got the 3DTV, I was eager to get anything that was 3D within my price range, but once you start collecting movies you'd probably never watch again, just because they're in 3D, you start to become more discerning about the movie actually being fun to watch repeatedly.

Next up, because I really enjoyed the action scenes and the 3D had really good depth to the layers, I'll buy Immortals 3D. March something it's on blu 3D.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #19
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Toronto, Canada eh!

Hmm...I guess if the title interests me. I read reviews but I'm not scared to blind buy...
Old 02-23-2012, 03:08 AM   #20
Power Member

Aug 2011
Earth

I admit I went overboard the first few months of having my 3DTV but I've become more selective in the last couple of months. Basically as others have said I tend to stick to movies that I have a high expectation that I will like but I'm willing to take a bit more of a risk the cheaper they are priced.

Despite being a comic reader and Ghost Rider being the first comic I ever read I don't expect to buy Ghost Rider 2 3D when it comes out, maybe I'd bite at around $10 but yeah low expectations on that one.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion