Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Ultra Q: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$27.04
15 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

X-Men: Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
11 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Don't Look Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.73

Gatchaman (Blu-ray)
$65.99

Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Happy Death Day 2U (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-25-2018, 07:13 PM   #3561
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
The new 4K looks amazing. Gone is Shout's horrible over saturation and contrast boosting, and of course the ailing is gone, too. It finally looks like it should, which (not ironically) is more like the previous MGM disc rather than the terrible Shot version, but people who actually know the film quell already knew that. Oh, and the sunset shots on the helipad are correctly restored which Shout blew out to daylight with their incorrect contrast and timing.
Escape has always been really dark anytime I've ever seen it. I think the MGM is a tad too dark, but just a tad. I'm not sure if I will triple dip for the 4k though. Especially when it comes to paying 30 bucks more.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:40 PM   #3562
Special Member

Sep 2011
Northern CA

MGM ranged from being a bit too dark to crazy dark in many interior shots.
https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&...124502&i=5&l=0

This new version looks fantastic. Far closer to the Shout version of brightness in most shots. In some areas StudioCanal is even bit brighter.
Although some areas Shout clearly had things a bit too bright where things were a bit blown out and mattes lines showed up where they shouldn't.
Over saturation is also fixed and the movie now has a warmer push. It's easy to dump both previous versions now.
This new version is the best of all worlds.

Last edited by grodd; 11-25-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:54 PM   #3563
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2012
USNA

They're picking apart these Carpenter UHD titles over on the UK thread - I wonder what they'll find wrong with EFNY. I don't think some of those people buy physical media to actually watch the films - only to critique the PQ lol.
Thanks given by:
u2popmofo (07-09-2019)
Old 11-25-2018, 10:10 PM   #3564
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011
Buffalo NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema84 View Post
They're picking apart these Carpenter UHD titles over on the UK thread - I wonder what they'll find wrong with EFNY. I don't think some of those people buy physical media to actually watch the films - only to critique the PQ lol.
Only one I bought was They Live and it looks amazing. If I can get EFNY for around $20 Iíll buy it.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:20 PM   #3565
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

Plus side is the new 4K of Escape contains the original Stereo track as opposed to a 5.1 Down mix

Some discussion on it on the 4K International forum thread
Old 11-25-2018, 10:39 PM   #3566
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mammoth View Post
Watched this again last night, awesome bluray.
LOL here's this guy again, who attacks me in PMs daily using pre-teen insults because he's wants to be me, and of course he has to "chime in" about how great the Shout is after I post, factually, how yet another edition blows it away, just like The Thing, They Love, etc. Just like clockwork! Wouldn't expect anything less from this Shout shill. God, it's just embarrassing at this point. It's too bad he won't say those things to me in the actual forum, because he knows he will get banned, so he hides behind PMs. Laughable. But it's also sad his life revolves around me and my posts.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:44 PM   #3567
Special Member

Sep 2010
Los Angeles, California

Quote:
LOL here's this guy again, who attacks me in PMs daily using pre-teen insults because he's wants to be me, and of course he has to "chime in" about how great the Shout is after I post, factually, how yet another edition blows it away, just like The Thing, They Love, etc. Just like clockwork! Wouldn't expect anything less from this Shout shill. It's embarrassing at this point.
Maybe he PMs you because of your constantly rude and obnoxious attitude here, regardless of the thread. You are a wealth of knowledge on many subjects, but your demeanor here is so consistently toxic and dismissive that it makes it hard to separate what you are saying from how you are saying it.
Thanks given by:
Deadguy2322 (11-25-2018), Jay Mammoth (11-25-2018), RCRochester (03-22-2019), u2popmofo (07-09-2019)
Old 11-25-2018, 10:59 PM   #3568
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by notops View Post
Maybe he PMs you because of your constantly rude and obnoxious attitude here, regardless of the thread. You are a wealth of knowledge on many subjects, but your demeanor here is so consistently toxic and dismissive that it makes it hard to separate what you are saying from how you are saying it.
While all of that may be true, it doesn't discredit what he's saying about Jay_Mammoth being an unabashed and overzealous Shout sycophant.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:02 PM   #3569
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011
Buffalo NY

Quote:
Exactly. Thank you, dude stalks me on these boards itís quite sad. I didnít even read his last pm to me I just deleted them all, and here he is again stalking me. Pathetic.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:34 PM   #3570
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Only one I bought was They Live and it looks amazing. If I can get EFNY for around $20 I’ll buy it.
As you well should, it looks smashing and for my money is the perfect balance between the problem-ridden Shout release and the overly subdued MGM Blu. Add in the original 2.0 audio and it's quite simply the best home video version of EFNY there's ever been, and perhaps ever will be.
Thanks given by:
Jay Mammoth (11-26-2018), notops (11-25-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 12:11 AM   #3571
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD
-
-
-

Quote:
LOL here's this guy again, who attacks me in PMs daily using pre-teen insults because he's wants to be me, and of course he has to "chime in" about how great the Shout is after I post, factually, how yet another edition blows it away, just like The Thing, They Love, etc. Just like clockwork! Wouldn't expect anything less from this Shout shill. God, it's just embarrassing at this point. It's too bad he won't say those things to me in the actual forum, because he knows he will get banned, so he hides behind PMs. Laughable. But it's also sad his life revolves around me and my posts.
What is it youíre doing right now with this post?
Besides the obvious, being off topic.
Thanks given by:
Jay Mammoth (11-26-2018), RCRochester (03-22-2019), WaverBoy (06-01-2019)
Old 11-26-2018, 07:07 PM   #3572
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema84 View Post
Some people are distracted by the poor compression moments on the 4K discs, but pretty much everyone agrees the Blu-rays smack the crap out of the United States releases.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:53 AM   #3573

May 2019

After going back and comparing the MGM, Shout and now my 4K UHD StudioCanal disc, I am very pleased with the 4K presentation. The level of detail and the consistency of the color grading are exemplary in comparision to the prior two BD offerings, although the overall color scheme and brightness level of the 4K is closer to the MGM bd overall. Just a big step up from it in clarity and resolution.

I really can't tolerate the color grading on the Shout EFNY disc anymore. I find it distracting throughout much of the film. Almost every scene looks over-hyped with nearly a neon or flouresent quality to most of the colors. I can never settle in and just enjoy the film. It's almost cartoonish how overblown all the pinks, reds, oranges, yellows and greens are, especially on clothing. "Escape from Miami" comes to mind.

I have several Shout BD's I enjoy greatly, and I really think Shout's presentation of Prince of Darkness in particular is possibly the best version of that film available, which looks fantastic. But I just can't get behind this EFNY Collector's edition's color grading. I've struggled with it since I bought it. I feel the same way about the overblow contrast on Shout's Jeepers Creepers 1 and 2 BD's. Even the opening wheat field scene in Jeepers Creepers 2 is so overblown that the entire farm, and the golden-bright late-summer sky, look artificially way over-hyped to the point of nearly "flourescent". It's distracting enough on my equipment throughout both films to ruin my efforts to be properly immersed in the film content, as I continually spot the garish, unnatural colors in clothing, makeup, vehicle interiors, etc.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:09 AM   #3574
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2018
Arkham, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaylightsEnd View Post
I really think Shout's presentation of Prince of Darkness in particular is possibly the best version of that film available
The StudioCanal UHD is a big upgrade:

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=12561&d2=12530&c=4927
Old 06-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #3575
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaylightsEnd View Post
I have several Shout BD's I enjoy greatly, and I really think Shout's presentation of Prince of Darkness in particular is possibly the best version of that film available, which looks fantastic.
The new Studio Canal Blu-ray, and the UHD disc (as mentioned in the post above), absolutely blow the Shout version out of the water, thereís no comparison. You should definitely consider importing it.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:45 AM   #3576
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011

I got the MGM disc for the transfer and the original audio track (albeit lossy), and the Shout disc for the extras. That’ll have to do until I go 4K, I guess, if I ever do.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:32 PM   #3577

May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jonezzz... View Post
The new Studio Canal Blu-ray, and the UHD disc (as mentioned in the post above), absolutely blow the Shout version out of the water, thereís no comparison. You should definitely consider importing it.
Thank you for this. Funny thing is, I had already ordered the two-disc StudioCanal 4K/BD version of PoD last week, and I literally just received it this morning in the mail. While I cannot view the Region B locked blu ray on my Region 1 player, I did already view the region-free 4K UHD.

I stand corrected, the 4K UHD is now the best transfer I own of PoD. I have to amend my prior sentiments, to the effect that Shout's blu ray presentation of Prince of Darkness is still one of the few 1080 BD Shout titles I own where the color grading is very good and the disc is enjoyable rather than overblown and distracting. I add to that list of enjoyable Shout titles the very nice looking Army of Darkness 3-movie set, the decent looking Candyman 2: Farewell to the Flesh, and the decent looking Halloween 2. Those titles at least look natural enough to me, color-wise. I also have Candyman from Shout, but have not viewed it yet.

I now have the StudioCanal 4K discs of PoD and EFNY, and I'm still waiting on both The Fog and They Live on 4K, which I ordered last week from Diabolik. I'm a little late to the party, but at least I got in the door and grabbed these. PoD and EFNY look fantastic, and are now my go-to copies of those two films. I'll probably keep the Shout discs for the extras, at least until I eventually grab a region free blu ray player.

This forum has been invaluable for my recent media upgrading. I have a large library I've upgraded fairly rapidly. I am grateful for the many sincere and honest opinions posted on this forum throughout its pages, that have saved me from making several mis-steps, and have helped me source many better-quality foreign transfers of some of my favorite films.
Thanks given by:
Indiana Jonezzz... (06-06-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 04:39 AM   #3578

Jul 2019

I'm fairly new to the Blu Ray game and am just finding how shitty the selection of horror on the streaming services is (not to mention the actual quality). What's the best buy for me right now for Escape? Did they not release any of the Carpenter 4ks, some of which i've seen in theaters in the US or can I watch the 4K international Blu Rays on my PS4 or blu ray player?
Old 07-09-2019, 04:49 AM   #3579
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2018
Arkham, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino94 View Post
What's the best buy for me right now for Escape?
This is the best U.S. release:

Quote:
Did they not release any of the Carpenter 4ks, some of which i've seen in theaters in the US
Not yet.

Quote:
can I watch the 4K international Blu Rays on my PS4 or blu ray player
The remastered They Live Blu-ray is region free, but the rest are locked. The UHDs (like all UHDs) are region free.
Thanks given by:
Bates_Motel (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 05:00 AM   #3580
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

Quote:
I post when I see people posting blatant misinformation, and pretending they "know it all." Sorry if it appears "toxic" to you, but its exhausting when people continually spread lies, Mammoth being one of them, and acting like a shill for a company that's had a record number of mistakes and exchange programs.

And his PMs clearly show he's not the "nice" guy he tries to appear to be on the boards, so don't fall into that trap.

The sad part is that Shout could put out the worst disc ever, with 10 exchange programs for errors, but this shill would praise it like it's the disc of the year. It's an agenda. I do not have one, I don't work or shill for any company, and can see when other releases are better than the fanboy ones.

Quote:
I didn’t even read his last pm to me I just deleted them all, and here he is again stalking me. Pathetic.
Because you start attacks then slink off scared. The truth hurts, dude. Be a man and own up to it at least, instead of running away when YOU start attacking me privately like a coward.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America