Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Amazon Prime Day is Now Live »
Prime: Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collect… $44.99 (10 hours left)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Alien: 6 Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
21 hrs ago
The Dark Knight Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Die Hard Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
Star Trek: Discovery - Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Mel Brooks Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Bumblebee (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

The Evil Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
21 hrs ago
Lord of War 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
21 hrs ago
Star Trek 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-04-2014, 04:22 PM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008
Guydowood, GA

now that this final season of TNG has been announced, I wonder if the Animated Series of the Original crew will ever get a high-def release.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #42
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009
Region Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde_devil View Post
It is funny looking back on the releases - TNG was obviously the big series. Not only did we get 7 season but we also got 6 seperate releases like All Good Things not to mention the teaser disc. No seperate releases for TOS even though they had a good 2 part episode that could have been released, none for Enterprise. Not to mention the theatre events early on. No doubt it had the impact and CBS was willing to gamble on it and it looks like everyone won. Can't see DS9 or Voyager getting this level of treatment.
TNG is the "Lightning in a Bottle" show for sure. I don't know if we'll ever get that caliber of a Trek series again. The actors, the on screen chemistry, the writing, etc all lead to a fantastic series (with a few stumbling blocks along the way) and its ability to stand the test of time is surely a testament to all of that.

I watch these episodes now as an adult much as I did as a child; fully emerged in the TNG world and stories which unfold before me. No other Star Trek series has been able to capture my imagination as TNG has, which is a shame because I had high hopes for each and everyone of them that came after, especially Enterprise.

That's not to say they are bad or even terrible series, just that in my case, they never had the affect on me that TNG did. I even remember asking my mom back in the day to time my dinners for 7, so that I could eat while watching TNG.
Thanks given by:
Infernal King (09-05-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 04:54 PM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieu View Post
That doesn't count - they have done "best of" discs before in Trek and the Rod Roddenberry intros are not really a bonus. Plus no commentaries, behind the scenes stuff, etc. That was just an attempt to make more money since the movie was coming out. And I'm not saying that there are not episodes with the other series that couldn't get the same treatment, I'm just saying they won't. TNG was special. It was the sequel that was never supposed to work yet it outdid the original series in many ways. Even by the time DS9 started, it had turned into a business and I think that shows as ratings were starting to drop for the following shows while TNG was still pretty strong. Infact they were pretty consistant through the whole series. I think it was good timing and a lot of luck to get started and then they just did a good job. How many other shows that went off the air in 1994 are we still talking about today?
Old 09-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #44

Feb 2013

Best Buy gutted their blu ray section a while ago at least in NYC. Terrible idea. J&R closed leaving only overpriced Barnes and Noble to get blu ray's not deemed worthy by best buy. It really is a shame. Thank god for Amazon.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #45
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Tulsa, OK (but don't hold it against me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee7n View Post
Best Buy gutted their blu ray section a while ago at least in NYC. Terrible idea. J&R closed leaving only overpriced Barnes and Noble to get blu ray's not deemed worthy by best buy. It really is a shame. Thank god for Amazon.
I'd say thank God for Amazon, too, if they'd stop sending me everything in the mailer equivalent of wet toilet paper so that it arrives looking like someone played hockey with it.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:28 PM   #46
Special Member

Jul 2007
Tucson, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Two years later and you guys are still holding out for this mythical complete series set which will somehow be so much better. Whatever makes you happy I suppose.
Yeah, it'll be right next to the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow and be protected by a unicorn...
Old 09-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #47
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
How many other shows that went off the air in 1994 are we still talking about today?
I miss Models Inc.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:58 PM   #48
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2011
Asheboro, NC
Send a message via Skype™ to Gold Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieu View Post
This was years after the fact, and also only released to coincide with ST:ID.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #49
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2011
Asheboro, NC

Hey Lana, You somehow seem to have an inside track to these.
Any chance you can confirm the rumour going around about a certain special trailer being on Season 7's Set? I'm not asking for confirmation that it is there, just trying to find out that you have also heard the rumour.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #50
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2011
Asheboro, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava_Lander View Post
There's no way that a DS9 trailer will be included, if that's what you're hinting at. DS9 is still sitting on a shelf in cold storage as far as anybody knows -- CBS hasn't made any moves towards that series outside of "Birthright" from all reports coming out of Trekcore's articles and social media comments (which is a source I trust on this stuff). I don't have any insider knowledge, I just go by what they report.
My rumour source said there would actually be one of 2 trailers...
one of which was TAS, while the other was DS9.
Depending on how the requests go for those series, would be the one we get. Then when it was released, we'd get the other.
Sorry about the way that is worded...
Old 09-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #51
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee7n View Post
I have found buying blu-rays in general hard - Amazon seems to be the place. Living right by the border, I run to Minot from time to time and find the selection really lacking in most places. In Canada, we are kind of limited as Best Buy and Future Shop are hit and miss and HMV is over priced so usually Amazon gets the business. I preordered season 7 from Amazon UK about a month ago but they just pulled it from their site - currently unavailable. Looks like Amazon.ca is getting ready to add it as there are a couple placeholders online now. Can't wait to see the season 7 price.

My guess on DS9 - it will happen but you are probably looking a year or more wait so no promo on Season 7. I think CBS is looking (or will be soon) at how much model work and how much cgi was done to determine how soon they start this. With TOS, they had little choice but to redo the effects however those were nowhere near as ambitious as DS9. DS9 still used a lot of models too(the station for example) so I think they are going to really look at it long and hard before they decide anything. If it is something that they feel is pretty straight forward, it will be soon. We have already seen the shot of the re-rendered ship so we know they don't need to do any work on that side. I don't see them not doing it as leaving it in SD really isn't an option anymore and upconverting isn't great either.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:19 PM   #52
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaineKinetic View Post
Depending on how the requests go for those series, would be the one we get. Then when it was released, we'd get the other.
Memory Alpha mentions that TAS was remastered in 1080 for the dvd release so that would be an easy one for them to do. I just don't know if they are that interested in doing that since they haven't released it yet.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #53
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaineKinetic View Post
Hope it's true, but seems like wishful thinking.

I did hear, however, that when they rebuilt the Birthright TNG/DS9 crossover that the remaster team requested—and got—from the salt mine *all* of the reels of film for the first season of DS9. If they weren't shipped back after that, they are ready and waiting at CBS-D for a green light from the brass.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:24 PM   #54
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY

Quote:
.... I think CBS is looking (or will be soon) at how much model work and how much cgi was done to determine how soon they start this....
According to one source who seems knowledgeable, CBS already did this a while ago. The result? Apparently it's too expensive for now and seems unlikely to happen.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #55
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Must admit, as much as I can't wait to own this set, part of me is tinged with disappointment that this great ride will once again, be over. It's been an insanely delightful trip down memory lane.

My love of television, and science fiction in general, it all started with TNG. Nothing will ever re-capture those years, but this last couple, boy have they come close.

I'm pleased that All Good Things is getting the standalone release, not that I particularly thought that Gambit would, and fitting that the box art features Q - the thing I adored most about the finale is the obvious juxtaposition of Q's relationship with Picard from Encounter at Farpoint through to All Good Things.

Appreciate that we won't be getting DS9 any time soon, but I agree, a sampler disc, just to show off how a few episodes might look, that would be a fantastic interim idea.
Thanks given by:
Infernal King (09-05-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #56
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

They did a sampler just to show off a project which was already well under way, fine, but there's no reason why they couldn't free up a few simoleans to do an actual sampler (or proof of concept, if you like) for DS9, especially if the remastering team are actually in possession of the negs of the first season. Do Emissary and a couple other eps, slap 'em onto a disc and there you go, no commitment necessary.
Thanks given by:
Bolty (09-04-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #57
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2011
Asheboro, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
They did a sampler just to show off a project which was already well under way, fine, but there's no reason why they couldn't free up a few simoleans to do an actual sampler (or proof of concept, if you like) for DS9, especially if the remastering team are actually in possession of the negs of the first season. Do Emissary and a couple other eps, slap 'em onto a disc and there you go, no commitment necessary.
Nice Sonic reference!
Old 09-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #58
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Emissary, Duet and one other
Thanks given by:
Bolty (09-04-2014)
Old 09-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #59
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
If they have the negs for DS9 season 1--do the pilot and "Duet" and the season finale that introduced Kai Winn.

None of the FX for season 1 were CGI----so that obstacle wouldn't be present.

And the mere fact that it might be the only DS9 Blu-ray ever---would probably make it a fairly hot seller. I'd buy it in a second and it also has has the benefit of having Picard as a guest in the pilot.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #60
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava_Lander View Post
Every Odo morph, however, IS CG. There's a lot of that in "Emissary," along with all of the wormhole stuff.
Wormhole was CGI in 1993?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America