Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

War for the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
16 hrs ago
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.21

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Great Gatsby 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.26
22 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Walking with Dinosaurs: The Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
16 hrs ago
The Meg 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Predator 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 05-17-2015, 06:24 PM   #1

Jan 2009
Unhappy Sadly My 3D Journey Is Over...

Sorry it's so wordy, but here we go...

So a little under 2 years ago (October or November 2013), I got a great deal on my Sony KDL50R550A at Costco. With all discounts, etc, I got it for $769 plus tax (CDN). I needed a new TV, and wasn't really planning on getting a 3D one, but at that price, I decided to try it out. I needed a 3D capable receiver and I needed a 3D bluray player, so I ended up getting a Pioneer VSX820 and a BDP-BX510. At Christmas, Cineplex had a great deal, and I loaded up on 3D movies. Ditto last year. After adding up what I spent on all of these peripherals and disks for the 3D experience, I was in for well over a grand.

A couple of weeks ago, my TV started to have issues. The bottom half of the screen started to pulsate in and out of focus. After checking the various inputs, etc, I realized it was actually the TV. While I did buy the extended warranty, it was still within the 2 year store warranty, so they arranged someone to come in. He came in, looked at it for about 10 seconds, and said that it was the panel. I should add that it's a local repair shop that Costco deals with, of which I have zero confidence. Regardless, he said that it would be expensive to repair, and he guessed that they would replace it or repair it. After a week or two of back and forth with Costco, this is exactly what happened. But they didn't have a similar model to replace it with.

I wanted to replace it with another similar sized and priced 3D TV, but the only one in stock was a 70" $2000 model that I didn't want since it was too big and too expensive. They checked other Costco stores, with no luck. I checked online, and what was available was bigger and more expensive than I was looking for, so I decided on the refund. I went around locally to some stores that had carried 3D TVs in the past, and for the most part, nobody carried them anymore (two of the stores in the past that carried multiple models have since closed nationally - Target & FutureShop). I also really didn't want to order online from somewhere without a local presence, due to potential issues with servicing.

So instead of spending even more money to get another 3D TV and having to wait a few weeks to get it (best case scenario), I decided to just give up on the 3D functionality. More than ever, I'm convinced it's a technology that's on life support. I was in denial about it, still spending money on disks, but when I ran into this amount of trouble trying to replace the TV now, I couldn't help but think on what would happen if I had to replace another one in a year. Or two years. I didn't want to spend any more money on what was starting to become very apparent were sunk costs. Obviously 3D blurays tend to come with regular bluray versions, but the only reason I was still buying disks was for the 3D function.

I was able to get a refund on the TV, the 3D bluray player, and the extended warranty that I purchased, so I was able to recoup some costs, but I'm still in for the disks and the receiver (which obviously still works without the 3D function), so I'm still hovering in for about a grand on a technology that I can't use anymore (a small portion of which I'll get back when I sell my 3Ds).

In the past, I'd always tell my friends to check out 3D TVs when they were in the market, but I won't be able to do that anymore. And that's very disappointing...
Old 05-17-2015, 07:14 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by movieking View Post
In the past, I'd always tell my friends to check out 3D TVs when they were in the market, but I won't be able to do that anymore. And that's very disappointing...

That's odd. Very few new televisions don't play 3-D. If you check, every Sony, Samsung, or LG will play 1080p 3-D all day long (in either passive or active 3-D). Only Vizio and a couple of off-brands won't play it.

Check the features on these sets. I don't understand your problems with these issues, you should be totally OK playing your entire library.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:22 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
Lake county, Indiana. Opposite end of Gary...

Quote:

So a little under 2 years ago (October or November 2013), I got a great deal on my Sony KDL50R550A at Costco. With all discounts, etc, I got it for $769 plus tax (CDN). I needed a new TV, and wasn't really planning on getting a 3D one, but at that price, I decided to try it out. I needed a 3D capable receiver and I needed a 3D bluray player, so I ended up getting a Pioneer VSX820 and a BDP-BX510. At Christmas, Cineplex had a great deal, and I loaded up on 3D movies. Ditto last year. After adding up what I spent on all of these peripherals and disks for the 3D experience, I was in for well over a grand.

A couple of weeks ago, my TV started to have issues. The bottom half of the screen started to pulsate in and out of focus. After checking the various inputs, etc, I realized it was actually the TV. While I did buy the extended warranty, it was still within the 2 year store warranty, so they arranged someone to come in. He came in, looked at it for about 10 seconds, and said that it was the panel. I should add that it's a local repair shop that Costco deals with, of which I have zero confidence. Regardless, he said that it would be expensive to repair, and he guessed that they would replace it or repair it. After a week or two of back and forth with Costco, this is exactly what happened. But they didn't have a similar model to replace it with.

I wanted to replace it with another similar sized and priced 3D TV, but the only one in stock was a 70" $2000 model that I didn't want since it was too big and too expensive. They checked other Costco stores, with no luck. I checked online, and what was available was bigger and more expensive than I was looking for, so I decided on the refund. I went around locally to some stores that had carried 3D TVs in the past, and for the most part, nobody carried them anymore (two of the stores in the past that carried multiple models have since closed nationally - Target & FutureShop). I also really didn't want to order online from somewhere without a local presence, due to potential issues with servicing.

So instead of spending even more money to get another 3D TV and having to wait a few weeks to get it (best case scenario), I decided to just give up on the 3D functionality. More than ever, I'm convinced it's a technology that's on life support. I was in denial about it, still spending money on disks, but when I ran into this amount of trouble trying to replace the TV now, I couldn't help but think on what would happen if I had to replace another one in a year. Or two years. I didn't want to spend any more money on what was starting to become very apparent were sunk costs. Obviously 3D blurays tend to come with regular bluray versions, but the only reason I was still buying disks was for the 3D function.

I was able to get a refund on the TV, the 3D bluray player, and the extended warranty that I purchased, so I was able to recoup some costs, but I'm still in for the disks and the receiver (which obviously still works without the 3D function), so I'm still hovering in for about a grand on a technology that I can't use anymore (a small portion of which I'll get back when I sell my 3Ds).

So, your Costco can't get you a 50/55" LB6500?

Best Buy Canada has 50+ 3D models. The 55w790 Sony is $1000.

Last edited by schan1269; 05-17-2015 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:44 AM   #4
Special Member

Jul 2009

And yet more proof that Sony stuff is unreliable.

Wondering if you simply asked salespeople which TVs had 3D capability or you were going by the salesdroids' words, who typically don't know anything? I wouldn't want a screen smaller than 70 inches anyways- got a 60" now and it seems too small!
Old 05-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #5
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:

Dont future new 4k tvs come with legacy 3D playback?
Old 05-18-2015, 02:14 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8traxrule View Post
And yet more proof that Sony stuff is unreliable.

I gave a tube Sony to a co-worker in 2006, vintage 1996. It's still going.

I have a 2003 70" projection set. I've replaced 2 lamps, watch it every day.

I have a 2007 52" XBR. It's in use as a monitor/backup set. Looks like it did the day I bought it.

I now have the 79" 4K. Never a glitch.

I still have every Sony player I've ever purchased. They all work fine.

I don't know what "proof" you have.
Thanks given by:
PsyTrix (01-17-2016), steve1971 (01-01-2016)
Old 05-18-2015, 02:15 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Dont future new 4k tvs come with legacy 3D playback?

Almost all of them do - not sure about Vizio.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (05-18-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 06:25 PM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
Almost all of them do - not sure about Vizio.
Vizio no longer makes 3D sets.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:42 PM   #9

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post
So, your Costco can't get you a 50/55" LB6500?

Best Buy Canada has 50+ 3D models. The 55w790 Sony is $1000.
Wherever I would get it, it would take a couple of weeks, and I'd have to pay a couple of hundred extra bucks on top. Not worth it in my opinion, especially in what appears to be a shrinking market, with limited support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
That's odd. Very few new televisions don't play 3-D. If you check, every Sony, Samsung, or LG will play 1080p 3-D all day long (in either passive or active 3-D). Only Vizio and a couple of off-brands won't play it.

Check the features on these sets. I don't understand your problems with these issues, you should be totally OK playing your entire library.
If you are talking about the new 4k models, like Steedeel referenced, then yes, they mostly appear to have 3D support, but they are also easily a few hundred dollars extra as well. I'm not against eventually getting a 4k TV, especially if 3D support is still there and the prices come down, but I really don't think that it's worth it at this point. The 4k models I looked at did not have 3D support, so I'm assuming they were last years models.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:04 AM   #10

Dec 2013
Default I think my 3D journey is over too

I saw Avengers: Age of Ultron in IMAX 3D recently. I wanted the IMAX picture and sound. The 3D part didn't even appeal to me.

My observations while watching it in 3D were that it was a distraction from the film, I could see the glasses frame and it was interfering with the picture for me, and the 3D effect didn't even get me excited.

Now before you get mad at me, I own an 55 inch LG passive 3D tv and over 30 or more 3D titles.

I've been there, done that, and spent more money on this then I should have.

Never again. I'll keep some of my 3D movies that I loved such as Avengers, Transformers, and other Marvel and Disney Pixar movies, but I think I may sell most of my collection off and only keep 10 movies or so.

What made you quit 3D? Was it the price, lack of content, or just tired of it?
Old 05-19-2015, 04:00 AM   #11
Power Member

Jun 2010
MY

3D was dead for me years ago. I prefer my viewing in 2D.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:09 AM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
The ŁßÇ

That's because Age of Ultron sucks! Even great 3D couldn't save it.
Go see Fury Road at an IMAX and you'll fall in love with 3D & movies all over again.

Plus, I don't think every "Sadly My 3D Journey is Over!" story needs a new thread. You guys can all get together and create one big Megathread.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:20 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Re "Plus, I don't think every "Sadly My 3D Journey is Over!" story needs a new thread. You guys can all get together and create one big Megathread."

Amen.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (05-30-2015), Ray O. Blu (05-19-2015), robgmun (07-02-2015), STD (07-04-2015), Todd Tomorrow (05-29-2015), Widescreenfilmguy (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 10:57 AM   #14

Feb 2015

Personally, I love 3D, but I am tired of all the new films coming out in "fake" 3D.

Tacking the 3D onto a film at the end of the production merely sends a message to the audience that it's an afterthought, and not really that important.

If film-makers were to make their films in black and white, then add the colour in post-production, audiences would (rightly) think it was a ridiculous thing to do.

Fake 3D never looks convincing (in my opinion) and studios need to stop foisting it onto their films as an excuse to charge higher ticket prices. That doesn't change the fact that I still love to see new films that are creatively filmed in genuine 3D.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:56 PM   #15
Banned

Aug 2014

Quote:
My observations while watching it in 3D were that it was a distraction from the film, I could see the glasses frame and it was interfering with the picture for me, and the 3D effect didn't even get me excited.
Try wearing normal glasses. You get used to it after a while.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:57 PM   #16
Banned

Aug 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnulf View Post
3D was dead for me years ago. I prefer my viewing in 2D.
Opposite for me. I just find 2D boring now, to the point where I find myself thinking 'Imagine how much better that shot would be if I was watching it in 3D?'.
Thanks given by:
Ineedsleep (05-30-2015), Ray O. Blu (05-20-2015), Seanykat (08-19-2015)
Old 05-29-2015, 07:11 AM   #17

Sep 2014
California
Question

Looks like you gave up a long time ago ?
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=247836

I took a while off.... but 3D with my 4K TV has brought me back, the 3D now looks like it should have been from the beginning. Now my 4K TV picture is better than 95% of the theaters out there.

Try better glasses (Terminator) , IMAX
http://www.berezin.com/3d/3dglasses.htm#Imax

Try better glasses , RealD
http://www.amazon.com/True-Depth-3D-...+true+depth+3d

You wont see frames with those. They are flat black with no reflection.

All true 3D fans should have their own glasses.......
It's like roller skating or bowling with rental equipment. It's serviceable but if you want a better experience you have to bring your own stuff.

I made this post a while ago ...

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...2&postcount=78

Both were high quality stadium style seating , one (Real) IMAX theater was great, the other one sucked.

Last edited by EVERRET; 05-29-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Thanks given by:
Ray O. Blu (05-29-2015)
Old 05-29-2015, 02:03 PM   #18

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERRET View Post
Looks like you gave up a long time ago ?
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=247836

I took a while off.... but 3D with my 4K TV has brought me back, the 3D now looks like it should have been from the beginning. Now my 4K TV picture is better than 95% of the theaters out there.

Try better glasses (Terminator) , IMAX
http://www.berezin.com/3d/3dglasses.htm#Imax

Try better glasses , RealD
http://www.amazon.com/True-Depth-3D-...+true+depth+3d

You wont see frames with those. They are flat black with no reflection.

All true 3D fans should have their own glasses.......
It's like roller skating or bowling with rental equipment. It's serviceable but if you want a better experience you have to bring your own stuff.

I made this post a while ago ...

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...2&postcount=78

Both were high quality stadium style seating , one (Real) IMAX theater was great, the other one sucked.

Agreed I do not go to 3D movies to often (hate the Theater experience) I wait for the BLuray, But when I do go I wan to wear High Quality Glasses and not the disposable junk they give you., Oakley sold Very Nice 3D glasses modeled after the movies as they came out ,Transformers/Hobbit etc. They do not sell them anymore but you can find them on Ebay and they are worth the $$
Old 05-29-2015, 07:02 PM   #19

Oct 2009

Technology doesn’t allow us to see in 3D or, three-dimensional. It can aid in delivering the content, but it is us who are able perceive depth in a scene from viewing these two slightly different views. Like it or not, as long has you have two working eyes, you maybe stuck with seeing things in 3D.

I currently have 73, 3D blu ray titles. I have 3, 3D books (stereoscopic) and a 3D camera (Fujifilm W3). So I didn't quit 3D. Cost could always be cheaper, but it's not outrageous. There's more 3D content now than there ever was and people can even make their own 3D content. I'll never tire of 3D.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:24 PM   #20
Special Member

Nov 2014

I may look into getting some of those. I already have a small variety of Real D glasses and others, including some nice plastic-framed anaglyph glasses. I find the LG glasses are the most comfortable to wear over my prescription glasses.

Incidentally, I caught a screening of Age of Ultron just yesterday, and wasn't impressed at all, on multiple levels. There wasn't a single moment in that film where I felt the 3-D was worth it. Just something that was there all the time. Got home, later watched the first episode of Attenborough's Conquest of the Skies with its luminous, pristine photography and tactile 3-D, and couldn't imagine watching it any other way.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion