Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Amazon Prime Day is Now Live »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$34.95
11 hrs ago
Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Stewardesses 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.93

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.45

Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.14

The Good Dinosaur 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.04

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.97

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 09-06-2015, 05:48 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008
Question 2K HD 3D vs 4K UHD 2D - Which will you choose? Why should you have to?

As you probably know a new Ultra HD Blu-Ray format is launching in early 2016. The format supports 4 times the pixel resolution of Blu-Ray as well as high dynamic range and expanded color bit depth. Unfortunately for 3D fans the format will launch without 3D support. Whether it will be updated to support 3D video in the future is unclear but such an upgrade is likely years away. So we well could end in a situation where we will have to choose between seeing new releases in 3D 1080p or 2D 2160p with high dynamic range and 10 bit color. What will you choose?
Old 09-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #2
Special Member

Sep 2008

Is it possible we'll see UHD combo packs that include the 3DBD?
Old 09-06-2015, 07:09 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by reanimator View Post
Is it possible we'll see UHD combo packs that include the 3DBD?
Its certainly possible but even if you own both versions you would still have to choose because of course you can't watch both at once

For me it would depend on the movie. If a movie had a 2k source or DI than the choice would be very easy. While the new format can still look better than current Blu-Rays even for 2k sourced titles I can't imagine it being worth dumping 3D for unless the 3D is a terrible conversion on the level of Clash of the Titans or The Last Airbender. Since the vast majority of 3D movies of recent years have had 2k DIs I can say with confidence that the Blu-Ray 3D version will be the best version available for years.

However if it is a true 4k presentation with high dynamic range and expanded color versus a standard 1080p 3D that might be a tough choice. I guess it would depend on just how good the 3D was
Thanks given by:
Alan A (09-08-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 07:21 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

I'm partial to good-looking 3D.

Even if I had 4K equipment, I'd have zero interest in Fox's upcoming UHDs of Life of Pi, X-Men: Days of Future Past, and Exodus: Gods and Kings, assuming they are 2D only. It's kind of the same thing with Warner's re-issue of Gravity in Dobly Atmos.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:04 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2012

I'm sticking with 3D blu. I was very much interested in 4K but when I read that 3D blu will not be supported in their new players....turned me off to 4K. I'm still not completely sold on 4K.....but I was willing to upgrade....as long 3D blu would be supported.

Have to much $$ invested in 3D blu and 2D blu to start over with another format. Never say never....but for now...it's not happening.
Thanks given by:
tqhoang (09-09-2015), WJWS Channel 13:Amity (09-07-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 09:51 PM   #6

Nov 2011
Oklahoma

Well my completely impartial opinion is of course to stick with 3D bluray

Also, I don't like watching movies on a tv. I only watch them on my 120" projection screen. Call me spoiled, but tv's don't do it for me anymore. So the only way I'm moving to purchase a 4K device is when the projectors start to drop in price even more
Thanks given by:
Retrofit (09-08-2015), Taygan315 (09-07-2015), WJWS Channel 13:Amity (09-07-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 11:27 PM   #7
Special Member

Nov 2014

You can probably anticipate the prevailing bias in this forum, right?

I'm very interested in seeing high quality 2d 4k content on a good screen. I'd absolutely love to have some of the Cinerama and 2d Imax titles for example. Some of the various 70mm epics would be also worth having.

But if a 3-D movie is also available in 2d 4k? Not interested. Forget about it. 3-D makes a bigger impact. There are probably some lackluster, shallow-ass conversions that were beautifully shot in 4k, and have a vivid clarity and a detail that warrants the added resolution. In that case the UHD blu might be worth it, but my general rule is I'll be putting 3-D first.

I'm sure given time most content will move to uhd, but the move from sd to hd was incredibly drawn out, so it's hard to say how long that'll take. Probably become the standard just when the push for 8k is underway.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:20 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Not just consumer UHD Blu-ray media, is there any professional theatrical production for 3D using Full 4K 3D specifications?

That will also require 8K 3D projection to resolve full resolution for passive glasses.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:52 AM   #9
Special Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith View Post
As you probably know a new Ultra HD Blu-Ray format is launching in early 2016. The format supports 4 times the pixel resolution of Blu-Ray as well as high dynamic range and expanded color bit depth. Unfortunately for 3D fans the format will launch without 3D support. Whether it will be updated to support 3D video in the future is unclear but such an upgrade is likely years away.
Just learned that at least the Samsung model will include 3D support! As far as I'm concerned, any expensive UHD player that does not include 3D is an obsolete item already.

http://images.cdn.whathifi.com/sites...?itok=EsLugQoL
Thanks given by:
mar3o (09-10-2015), Taygan315 (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 01:30 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taygan315 View Post
I'm sticking with 3D blu. I was very much interested in 4K but when I read that 3D blu will not be supported in their new players....turned me off to 4K. I'm still not completely sold on 4K.....but I was willing to upgrade....as long 3D blu would be supported.

Have to much $$ invested in 3D blu and 2D blu to start over with another format. Never say never....but for now...it's not happening.
I don't see why the lack of 3D should turn you off to 4k Blu-Ray. I love 3D and own dozens of 3D titles but the vast majority of movies and nearly all television content were never made for it. The number of movies with native 4k sources is far greater. Classic movies like Ben Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, Forest Gump, Alien were never made with 3D in mind but all have 4k sources there for release

Plus if Ultra HD Blu-Ray takes off I'm sure 3D Ultra HD Blu-Ray will be added to the spec down the road as the next big thing. By then more 3D movies with actual 4k DIs might finally be out
Thanks given by:
Blu-Dog (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 01:31 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by film11 View Post
Just learned that at least the Samsung model will include 3D support! As far as I'm concerned, any expensive UHD player that does not include 3D is an obsolete item already.

http://images.cdn.whathifi.com/sites...?itok=EsLugQoL
All Ultra HD Blu-Ray players should be compatible with present Blu-Ray 3Ds yes but no spec exists for Ultra HD video in 3D. At launch the format is 2D only
Old 09-07-2015, 02:16 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
Los Angeles, CA

Interesting question!

Although I waffled a bit, I would have to go with 3-D Blu-ray as my first option.

What pushed me towards 3-D Blu-ray as my first option was the thought of NOT watching Life Of Pi in 3-D, but UHD instead. 3-D is the ONLY way I would want to watch Life Of Pi. It would just be too frustrating of an experience watching Life Of Pi in 2-D and seeing all that wonderful 3-D cinematography go to waste on a 2-D screen.

With that said, I still see myself supporting the UHD format, although I am not sure how much of an early adopter I will be. I know I will not be purchasing any of the titles that have already been announced.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:08 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011
California!

Blu-Ray 3D, it's my favorite way to experience movies tbh.
It's really special to me because anyone put a movie in 4k, but a 3D movie is more difficult to make look good.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:11 AM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Not just consumer UHD Blu-ray media, is there any professional theatrical production for 3D using Full 4K 3D specifications?

That will also require 8K 3D projection to resolve full resolution for passive glasses.
I'm not sure what resolution IMAX/giant screen documentaries are distributed at, but I'd assume they'd be the first to try 4K 3D (if they haven't aready). Hubble 3D, for example, supposedly has an 8K digital intermediate although that might just be the resolution they scanned the 65mm film at. I don't know what resolution it's actually mastered and distributed at.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1433813/...ef_=tt_ql_dt_7

There is a 4K 3D laser projector at an IMAX here in Galveston. I saw Avengers: Age of Ultron there although it was most likely just a 2K DI. I'm not sure if they have 4K 3D DIs for their documentaries or not. Penton-Man would know.

http://blog.moodygardens.com/laserprojection/

Jean-Michel Cousteau's newest film Secret Ocean had its premiere there after the projector/screen update, so that one may be a possibility.

Last edited by BleedOrange11; 09-07-2015 at 05:22 AM.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 03:49 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2008

According to IMDB Star Wars The Force Awakens will get a 4k DI as well as 3D

So if that one comes out in both Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Blu-Ray 3D it could be a tough choice
Old 09-07-2015, 04:29 AM   #16
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The Grid

3d everyday of the week for films intended to be seen in 3d. I imagine a year or so after the format launches we will see 3d start to be talked about and a year or two later it be added as part of the standard. Otherwise streaming/downloads will simply take its place.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:45 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2012

I prefer to watch a 3D movie over a 2D one. I think the detail is sharper and more vivid. I also love the depth, pop outs, and dimension 3D adds to the viewing experience. I also prefer to watch movies on my projector more so than on my tv specifically for the immersion factor alone. In fairness....I have not had the chance to see a 3D blu upscale to 4K on a 4K UHDTV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith View Post
I don't see why the lack of 3D should turn you off to 4k Blu-Ray. I love 3D and own dozens of 3D titles but the vast majority of movies and nearly all television content were never made for it. The number of movies with native 4k sources is far greater. Classic movies like Ben Hur, Lawrence of Arabia, Forest Gump, Alien were never made with 3D in mind but all have 4k sources there for release

Plus if Ultra HD Blu-Ray takes off I'm sure 3D Ultra HD Blu-Ray will be added to the spec down the road as the next big thing. By then more 3D movies with actual 4k DIs might finally be out
When that happens, I will probably be on board.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (09-07-2015), Zippy56 (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taygan315 View Post
I prefer to watch a 3D movie over a 2D one. I think the detail is sharper and more vivid.

In this particular sub-forum, these will be stirring words. The studios, however, are walking away.

No extra post-production, no packaging nightmares, nada. The nail was put in the coffin of 3-D several years ago - in 2012 - and admirably, 3-D is still banging on the inside of the lid. But thumps come less frequently.

Like undertakers sizing up coffins in a gunslinger's town, naysayers will predict the demise of both formats, as soon as this new sucker stumbles off the stagecoach. 4K's chances for disc success are bad, based on the initial pronouncements; they are already pricing things out of reach. See Samsung's curved $500 announcement for a curved player for details.

You like 3-D? Better hope it fits on a 4K disc, because the studios are tossing it, fast. It's already relegated to the cartoons, unlike the rom-coms, and buddy shoot-em-ups, and Vegas gross-fests that will thrive in DVD and 4K. That ship has sailed.

Things are changing, fast. It's best to hope that 3-D offerings can reside on a 4K disc - this either-or stuff is doomed to failure.
Thanks given by:
MrMoose (09-07-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 03:13 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
The studios, however, are walking away.
Which studios?
Old 09-07-2015, 03:27 PM   #20

Jun 2015
Houston, TX