Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23
4 hrs ago
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.96
2 hrs ago
Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.93

The Stewardesses 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.14

The Good Dinosaur 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.04

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61

Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.45

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 02-27-2016, 11:31 AM   #21
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Do I just click to view right on my laptop or do I have to transfer to USB and then look at them through my BD player or AVR?
Old 02-27-2016, 12:28 PM   #22
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

Depends, what viewing method are you using?
Old 02-27-2016, 12:48 PM   #23
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFAlien View Post
Depends, what viewing method are you using?
My Acer laptop, but I could connect it via HDMI to my 3D projector, or save your files on USB and connect to my 3D bluray player.
I use IR glasses (with IR emitter plugged into my Optoma projector) for 3D display
Old 02-27-2016, 01:24 PM   #24
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

Either one should work as long as the image winds up sent to the projector. According to the manual I found for an Optoma projector, you'll need to go into the display menu and set "3D Mode" to side by side. You will likely need to scale the images down to 50% width for them to appear the right shape using this method. If there are just a few specific movies you want the shots from, let me know and I can PM you ZIP files of the appropriately squeezed pics.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:41 PM   #25
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Either one should work as long as the image winds up sent to the projector. According to the manual I found for an Optoma projector, you'll need to go into the display menu and set "3D Mode" to side by side. You will likely need to scale the images down to 50% width for them to appear the right shape using this method. If there are just a few specific movies you want the shots from, let me know and I can PM you ZIP files of the appropriately squeezed pics.
Yes, I am familiar with the 3 different 3D Mode available on the Optoma, including the "side by side" mode.

So I can just open the attachments on my Acer laptop while having the laptop connected (via hdmi cable) to my Optoma Projector and Denon Receiver for display on my big screen, scale images down to 50%, set projector to 3D side by side, and wear my IR glasses
Old 02-27-2016, 01:52 PM   #26
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

50% wide specifically, you have to squeeze them. But yes that ought to work. For best results make sure the pictures are open in fullscreen on the laptop.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:58 PM   #27
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
50% wide specifically, you have to squeeze them. But yes that ought to work. For best results make sure the pictures are open in fullscreen on the laptop.
Do you mean change my projector settings from 16:9 to Wide?
Old 02-27-2016, 02:24 PM   #28
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

No, I mean rescale the side-by-side images on your computer from 3840x1080 to 1920x1080. Your projector should stretch it back out once it's in side-by-side 3D mode.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:40 PM   #29
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
No, I mean rescale the side-by-side images on your computer from 3840x1080 to 1920x1080. Your projector should stretch it back out once it's in side-by-side 3D mode.
I thought most computers rescale to 1920x1080 automatically since that is the maximum resolution they offer
Old 03-08-2016, 02:22 AM   #30
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

And here are 20 selected shots from the 3D Blu of Brad Peyton's San Andreas. The movie's a blisteringly unoriginal, sometimes unintentionally-funny paint-by-numbers disaster flick, but also a pretty fun one with some spectacular scenes of destruction. The 3D is, in my opinion, better than it tends to get credit for; it's quite deep by modern standards and while there are conversion errors they tend to be subtly misshapen human forms a lot of people won't notice. My only real criticism is the lack of pop-outs, which seem like a natural fit for this sort of shameless popcorn spectacle flick.

PLEASE NOTE - SCREENSHOTS ARE FROM ENTIRE FILM AND LATER ONES MAY CONTAIN MINOR SPOILERS! I've done by best to avoid anything that gives too much away.

Also note since these are compressed JPGs they are not indicative of video quality; they're meant to offer samples of the 3D effect.

Stereographer: None credited except post-production
Shot in 2D on the Arri Alexa XT
3D conversion by Stereo D

[Show spoiler]

OVER-UNDER HALF-RESOLUTION FOR 3D TVs & PROJECTORS
Click Here to Download ZIP

SIDE-BY-SIDE FULL RESOLUTION

Last edited by UFAlien; 08-29-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Thanks given by:
juanbauty@yahoo.es (03-02-2017), Paul H (03-08-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 11:04 AM   #31
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

And here are 20 selected shots from the 3D BD of Patrick Lussier's My Bloody Valentine remake. It's a pretty fun slasher, very much a throwback that doesn't try to reinvent the wheel. It's also different enough from the original to be a worthwhile companion piece.

It was one of the earliest, pre-Avatar digital 3D movies, and there are some growing pains - retinal rivalry is common (colors, reflections and lens flares mismatched between eyes), and there's a fair bit of misalignment (some of which seems to be caused by an intentional choice to shoot converged instead of parallel). Luckily, while frequent, the problems tend to be minor and the film's still perfectly watchable. Also note some improperly layered CG elements in the opening sequence, which you can see in the first screenshot with the "dirt specks" that should be in front of the newspaper but instead appear to be further back. The use of 3D is fairly old-school with a lot of pop-outs, though it doesn't have the level of parallax 80s and 50s films tended to.

PLEASE NOTE - SCREENSHOTS ARE FROM ENTIRE FILM AND LATER ONES MAY CONTAIN MINOR SPOILERS! I've done by best to avoid anything that gives too much away.

Also note since these are compressed JPGs they are not indicative of video quality; they're meant to offer samples of the 3D effect.

Stereographer: Max Penner
Shot in native 3D on the Red One with a stereo rig

[Show spoiler]

OVER-UNDER HALF-RESOLUTION FOR 3D TVs & PROJECTORS

Last edited by UFAlien; 08-29-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Thanks given by:
ashedmaniac (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 02:42 PM   #32
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

I still don't know how to re-size the darn pics
Old 03-10-2016, 12:47 PM   #33
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

Keeping to the 3D horror theme, here are 20 shots from David R. Ellis' The Final Destination, the confusingly-titled fourth film in the Final Destination series. There's a near-consensus that it's the weakest entry in the franchise, one which I happen to agree with, but it's still pretty fun if you're in the right mindset. Generally speaking, it has the least genuine horror and the most black comedy of the movies, and it's filled with winking, tongue-in-cheek references to the prior movies (though no actual continuity, so seeing them first isn't a prerequisite). It's also worth noting the film's extensive visual effects are really quite bad-looking and belie the $40 million budget.

The situation in regards to the 3D is pretty similar to My Bloody Valentine; lots of fun pop-outs (especially during the highly-stylized, mostly-CG premonition sequences scattered throughout) but not always much depth, alongside frequent but usually minor issues with misalignment and retinal rivalry.

SPECIAL NOTE - To make things easier for people who want to view these shots on their 3D TVs or projectors, I've included an attached ZIP file with all 20 shots in properly-squeezed, half-resolution format. To view them, open them in fullscreen on your source (TV picture viewer, computer or player connected to said TV or projector, etc.) and select the "over-under," "top-bottom," or "above-below" configuration for 3D display. The result should be a single, properly proportioned 3D image with a 1920x540 per eye resolution.

PLEASE NOTE - SCREENSHOTS ARE FROM ENTIRE FILM AND LATER ONES MAY CONTAIN MINOR SPOILERS! I've done by best to avoid anything that gives too much away. But let's be honest, if you've seen any of these movies you pretty much know how things turn out.

Stereographer: Glen MacPherson
Shot in native 3D on the Sony CineAlta F23 & HDC-F950

[Show spoiler]

OVER-UNDER HALF-RES - FOR 3DTVs & PROJECTORS

Last edited by UFAlien; 08-30-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:54 PM   #34
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

I figured out how to horizontally resize the pics. Now it is just a matter of resizing and saving into USB drive each individual pic, or at least the pics I like the most
Once I have them saved on USB stick I can connect USB to my BD player and display them on big 130" screen in 3D...Cant wait
Old 03-10-2016, 12:57 PM   #35
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

Bad timing! I'm just updating them all with pre-resized pictures by popular demand. Oh well, you won't have to do any more than you have at least!
Old 03-10-2016, 01:40 PM   #36
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
Bad timing! I'm just updating them all with pre-resized pictures by popular demand. Oh well, you won't have to do any more than you have at least!
Thanks for sparing me 3 hours of hard labor
Look forward to the pre-resized samples.
Question:
when I play movies in 3D the BD player pops up a screen to select either 2D or 3D viewing. Now, when I upload these pics on my BD player, do I have to do anything other than wear my 3D glasses? My BD player 3D is set on "Auto" right now
Old 03-10-2016, 01:47 PM   #37
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

All image posts have been updated with the 3D TV compatible resized image archives!

@RockyIII - I don't know how your specific player works or if it even lets you display still images. Assuming it does, if it's not automatic, once you have the image onscreen you'll want to go into your projector settings and select - in the case of the new picture archives I've just added to the bottom of each post - the "Over Under," "Top Bottom," or "Above Below" mode (all mean the same thing, different terms for different manufacturers). That should get you all set.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:04 PM   #38
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

Quote:
All image posts have been updated with the 3D TV compatible resized image archives!

@RockyIII - I don't know how your specific player works or if it even lets you display still images. Assuming it does, if it's not automatic, once you have the image onscreen you'll want to go into your projector settings and select - in the case of the new picture archives I've just added to the bottom of each post - the "Over Under," "Top Bottom," or "Above Below" mode (all mean the same thing, different terms for different manufacturers). That should get you all set.
That is clearer now. So the only link I need is the last one at the bottom of each page
OVER-UNDER HALF-RES - FOR 3DTVs & PROJECTORS
Right-Click and Save As
Old 03-10-2016, 02:10 PM   #39
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

Yup. That's a ZIP file with all the screenshots pre-stretched.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:08 PM   #40
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

GREAT IDEA for us lazy folks
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion